DCS Mirage 2000C Discussion

Bluedrake42

Guys, lets not make this thread more awkward, Zeus67 is a developer and he is making great progress and showing it off to the community. What joystick he is using and how he flies is not really that important.

Zeus, I have a question - are there any similarities with the code between FSX and DCS? Are you doing this from scratch or you can use some of the code done already for the FSX platform? (Just curious, it's ok if it's not allowed to answer that :) )

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Please go directly for AFM/PFM. SFM fo AI can be taken from the Old Mirage in Lomac :D

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I5 4670k, 32GB, GTX 1070, Thrustmaster TFRP, G940 Throttle extremely modded with Bodnar 0836X and Bu0836A,

Warthog Joystick with F-18 grip, Oculus Rift S - Almost all is made from gifts from friends, the most expensive parts at least

Guys, lets not make this thread more awkward, Zeus67 is a developer and he is making great progress and showing it off to the community. What joystick he is using and how he flies is not really that important.

Zeus, I have a question - are there any similarities with the code between FSX and DCS? Are you doing this from scratch or you can use some of the code done already for the FSX platform? (Just curious, it's ok if it's not allowed to answer that :) )

As a programmer, DCS and FSX are worlds apart. The only similarity is that both make use of C++, beyond that everything is different. From how animations are done to how devices work.

In this aspect, FSX shows that it is a more mature product. Almost everything is clearly tagged and its use documented. DCS is more raw, the tools are every bit as good as those of FSX, and in some cases better, but you are in a "swim or drown" situation. Fortunately the more experience you get, the easier it becomes.

The only help I get from the FSX Mirage vs. DCS is that the main part: How the aircraft works, is already done. Believe me, that is one of the most time consuming steps. You have to translate what the manuals say into a set of instructions that allows you to replicate that functionality.

Case in point. The Mirage sorts its weapons display based on a certain critera, that of course they are not telling. I have to replicate that. That little thing, a weapons sort, took me a full week to implement in FSX. In DCS, it took me 15 minutes because I already knew how to make that sort so all I had to do was code it.

It is a lot of trial and error and whole lot more of frustration. So, that major pitfall has been avoided and the DCS Mirage is moving faster because of it.

• Like 1

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."

"The three most dangerous things in the world are a programmer with a soldering iron, a hardware type with a program patch and a user with an idea."

Interesting. It makes sense. You know the algorithm after being through it once, but you have to rewrite it for the new engine with all the nuances of that.

I was wondering if it was more drop in at some point - like get a 'skeleton' framework written to get it to interact with the engine and then pasting whole piles of existing code, especially seeing how fast you went from a demo having something like one or two lines on the MFD to a screen with radar, etc.

I guess developers could never be that lucky.

Case in point. The Mirage sorts its weapons display based on a certain critera, that of course they are not telling. I have to replicate that. That little thing, a weapons sort, took me a full week to implement in FSX. In DCS, it took me 15 minutes because I already knew how to make that sort so all I had to do was code it.

Thanks for the insight. :thumbup:

As a programmer, DCS and FSX are worlds apart. The only similarity is that both make use of C++, beyond that everything is different. From how animations are done to how devices work.

In this aspect, FSX shows that it is a more mature product. Almost everything is clearly tagged and its use documented. DCS is more raw, the tools are every bit as good as those of FSX, and in some cases better, but you are in a "swim or drown" situation. Fortunately the more experience you get, the easier it becomes.

The only help I get from the FSX Mirage vs. DCS is that the main part: How the aircraft works, is already done. Believe me, that is one of the most time consuming steps. You have to translate what the manuals say into a set of instructions that allows you to replicate that functionality.

It is a lot of trial and error and whole lot more of frustration. So, that major pitfall has been avoided and the DCS Mirage is moving faster because of it.

Zeus do you have a roadmap for DCS?

Or is the a-7 planned on dcs? or the Convair F/A-201A?

i7 2600k -- Noctua NH-D14--Asrock Z75 Pro3--ASUS GTX970 Strix --16Go Ripjaws X 1333--Thermaltake Smart M650--CoolerMaster Silencio 652S--AOC E2752VQ-- Sandisk Extreme II 480GB--Saitek X-52 Pro --SAITEK PZ35 Pedals

razbam has stated on their Facebook site that the A-7 will follow

"Are these only for FSX, or do you make plans for Xplane? Any plans to import the A-7 to DCS?

Razbam Sims this mesh is the basic foundation for the DCS version'' (8 january 2015).

Is this for dcs too? 7 Razbam Sims it´s the basic foundation, yes (7th january)

DCS version someday maybe? Razbam Sims there is a DCS version mesh already, i simply wont post pics about it since i really dont want to kick a hornet´s nest, our DCS plans are already set, and we´ll go for the M2000C 1st, and that´s final

Hope to see it one day in DCS. Razbam Sims you will, trust us on this one

(28 october 2014)

Edited by jaguara5

Just came across this thread. The Mirage is looking VERY nice. Definite buy for me on release day!

System Spec: Cooler Master Cosmos C700P Black Edition case. | AMD 5950X CPU | MSI RTX-3090 GPU | 32GB HyperX Predator PC4000 RAM | | TM Warthog stick & throttle | TrackIR 5 | Samsung 980 Pro NVMe 4 SSD 1TB (boot) | Samsung 870 QVO SSD 4TB (games) | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.

Personal wish list: DCS: Su-27SM & DCS: Avro Vulcan.

Im proud of razbam now.

i7 2600k -- Noctua NH-D14--Asrock Z75 Pro3--ASUS GTX970 Strix --16Go Ripjaws X 1333--Thermaltake Smart M650--CoolerMaster Silencio 652S--AOC E2752VQ-- Sandisk Extreme II 480GB--Saitek X-52 Pro --SAITEK PZ35 Pedals

So... Can we safely assume that we will fly DCS Mirage in two weeks? :music_whistling:

Just kidding...

Thanks for all the updates and please keep the ball rolling!

Latest test. Firing rockets.

I am a really lousy pilot and a worse shot. :thumbup:

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."

"The three most dangerous things in the world are a programmer with a soldering iron, a hardware type with a program patch and a user with an idea."

I like the progress you are doing!! Don't slow down and maybe Mirage will be ready before W 2 :D.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I5 4670k, 32GB, GTX 1070, Thrustmaster TFRP, G940 Throttle extremely modded with Bodnar 0836X and Bu0836A,

Warthog Joystick with F-18 grip, Oculus Rift S - Almost all is made from gifts from friends, the most expensive parts at least