KNEEBOARD Export for 'multimonitorsetup.lua' in all modules - DCS 1.2.4

KNEEBOARD_Tablet_Mod_PP_1.02_for DCSWORLD_1.2.5

READ_ME First.txt:

KNEEBOARD_Tablet_Mod_PP_for DCSWORLD_1.2.5

All tests are made in DCS World 1.2.5

This will enable you to place the Kneeboard in all modules exactly were you want/need it.

(BTW: this mod is JSGME compatible)

Installation:

-------------

Copy the content of "KNEEBOARD_BASE_MOD_Install_First" folder into the same folder of your DCS World install and allow to overwrite.

Example path:

H:Program FilesEagle Dynamics

2. Than do the same with the content of the folder that has the name of you installed Modules in it.

3.Users of the A-10C and/or Ka-50 HAVE to do what is written in the "READ_ME Ka-50.txt"/"READ_ME A-10C.txt"

otherwise you will not be able to 'call the kneeboard -as your module knows nothing about the needed key-commands!!!

Usage:

------

See included documentation for details. Read/look at them all!!

If your "monitorsetup".lua has not the Kneeboard entry in it,

you will Have the Kneeboard in-cockpit.

The map is the start of each Kneeborad. After it there will be the Custom images. And before the Map are the Mission images. Between the Mission and custom charts are the "common" charts, that are the airports and ect.

Un-install:

----------

Use JSGME or run a DCS-Repair

A Helping hand how to edit "Monitorsetup".lua files:

------------------------------------------------------

>>> Dummies Guide for the “MonitorSetup.lua“ http://files.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/214771/

Info/annotations >>> http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=1776454#post1776454

If I find out that you didn't read the readme and ask for help for something that is covered by it and the documentation... I will kick your butt! ;)

- PeterP 14.06.2013

DefaultvsNewLook_zpse2687d7a.jpg

I changed the colour pattern again ;):

Screen_130614_141215_zpsec80d8c5.jpg

ACHTUNG! :

The UH-1H , P-51D and FC3 uses the Knee-board without problem....

But

The A-10C and Ka-50 module knows nothing about a Kneeboard in DCS 1.2.4 by default!

So we have to 'teach' this module that it can use a Kneeboard : Read the READ_ME Ka-50.txt/READ_ME A-10C.txt for how to.

a-10chart1-3_zps9b5cdd41.jpg

Screen_130614_135203_zps1d9e86f9.jpg

Screen_130614_154023_zps8c9c6d7a.jpg

BST_UH1H_KNEEBOARDviewport_zpse99ad482.jpg

BST_UH1H_KNEEBOARDInCockpit_zps0da1fdc0.jpg

File: KNEEBOARD_Tablet_Mod_PP_1.02_for DCSWORLD_1.2.5.rar

Size: 19.73 Mb

[download]

This mod is incompatible with DCS World 1.2.6 - Please don't use it any more.

A premature Beta for DCS 1.2.6 can be downloaded >here<

(Don't upload it to another place!! I will maybe make improvements and updates in the future! - only link this post when re-posting it somewhere

else!)

FAQ:

Q:

this is looking great, will we be able to zoom in to see the detail?

A:Is this zoom close enough?!

Screen_130614_154735_zps414c4557.jpg

Q: Can I use the buttons and click on it?

A: No - maybe in the future. Have a look: Is there any way to add custom connectors ?

I gave the Kneeboard this generic tablet design in the first instance to make it plausible why the charts are always bright and shiny and not influenced by any light conditions.

Q: I'm using only the Viewport Kneeboards - and the border annoys me ! - How I can remove the Tablet border ?

A: Navigate to DCS WorldKNEEBOARD_MOD_PeterPdata and rename or delete the "kneeboard_mask.dds" than

rename "kneeboard_mask-EMPTY.dds" to "kneeboard_mask.dds".

Q: What kinda navigation does it have for pages? Are you limited to the right and left arrow keys or can you go through a directory type view to find what you want faster?

A: Only next/previous page - sorry, no 'bookmarks'.

Info about the 'why' >>> #94

Q: I'm concerned if I can use this Mod together with other Mods - which files does it change?

A: This mod uses the files of the default Kneeboard as it is used by the P-51D/UH1H and FC3 since 1.2.4

But without touching them (in a way)

And each module has a modified DCS WorldModsaircrafts>module<CockpitScriptsdevice_init.lua to 'reroute' the calls for the Kneeboard to my new folder "KNEEBOARD_MOD_PeterP".

(The ka-50 and A10-C have also a modified devices.lua and a new input files in e.g. DCS WorldModsaircraftsA-10CInputA-10C.)

I have chosen this way to leave only a small 'footprint' in each module , and that I have to edit only one file to make a new module compatible with it.

Be assured:This 'core-files' of a module are normally not touched by any other commonly used Mod I know of. And you can use it save with any other mod.

But this Mod needs a closer look from me every time a new update from ED is out if it doesn't brake something. If you unsure if you can use it after a new update - please revisit this thread and observe the responses.

Almost forgot: It changes also the 'default-level' of the LeftMFCD of the A-10C - so the new Kneeboard and the L-MFCD are not 'fighting' each other if rendered as a viewport.

Q: is it possible to read a *.pdf with this Mod

A: No. Supported image files are:

*.bmp , *.jpg *.png , *.tga ,*.dds

Q: I do usually long ferry flights and I'm very bored... - Can I take my Playboy collection with me?!

A: Yes! - Scan them and put the images in the "Custom_Charts" folder of your used aircraft/module.

Have a look also at this:

Here is some stuff for you to fill up your personal Kneeboard with even more charts:

We released the updated set of charts: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=73419&page=16

- Aerodrome (Ground) Charts for DCS: A-10C and Flaming Cliffs 3

- Visual Approach and Departure (VAD) Charts for DCS: A-10C

- Visual Approach and Departure (VAD) Charts for FC3 aircraft (new)

DCS World Keyboard Charts

>>> http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=111745

BTW: I highly recommend using following Mod together with the In-cockpit rendered Kneeboard - you will enjoy it much more!

>>> Reworked Cockpit Views with proper Neck

Known bugs:

'Kneeboard glance view' function is reversed when in 'in-cockpit' mode - you have to use the show/hide key/button press.

You have 'wishes' about expanding the current functionality ?!

Please post them here:

start.pngED Forums » English » Digital Combat Simulator » DCS World » DCS Wishlist » Functional Kneeboard for all Modules!

Throwing in two examples for a alternative placement of the Kneeboard inside the cockpit:

Use the numbers out of the notepad++ window to get the same results.

Ka-50 right panel position:

PositioningExampleKa-50_zps7a442a5a.jpg

UH-1H Wind-shield Center , you must lean and zoom a little more to get a optimal view, but this position let you see and use the Kneeboard also from the Co-Pilot seat :

PositioningExampleUH-1H_zps3209b4f1.jpg

A tip for a more streamlined editing the position without the need to reload the mission each time you made a change:

Use the included "All planes-modules Kneeboard test.miz" and edit the numbers while DCS is running.

Than save the edited device_init.lua. Switch to DCS - go to Briefing > Back and re-enter the newly edited module again to see instantly your changes - redo this until you are satisfied with your position.

Edited by PeterP
  • Like 1

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hallo PeterP,

many thanks for your efforts, I will test soon, I'm very interested to this mod.

IIRC, the old version of this mod (1.2.3. I guess) had a problem with TAD, but I want to check for more deep.

Cheers

Simulatori: DCS A-10C II Warthog - DCS F/A-18C Hornet - DCS F-16C - VRS F/A-18E - 
HOTAS: TM Warthog - Cougar \ HP Reverb G2 \ WinWing Panels

Tally: I see the degenerate commie who wants to ruin our day.

Errata!

Whoever downloaded this mod - do it again ! ( I count 6 )

sorry ! I forgot to add a Font in the first file - so it does work somehow - but it doesn't look as intended (the white outline is missing) - but it is fixed now.

Please download again.

BTW I'm open to colour changes (as long this mod isn't up the user-files-section of ED) like the way-point circles and/or path. - Just use it a little before you make suggestions out of the blue ;) .

I use this colour combination (green/white/red) since almost 6 month's and I have no issues so far.

But I have to admit that this can be problematic for some green/red blind users - . - Make yourself heard!

Edited by PeterP

^^ Grog!! :lol:

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

..maybe...

But the real cause is much simpler:

before I make a mod-package for upload I run a dcs-repair and use the files that I find in my latest backup to zip/rar the package.

Than I copy only the new package on a 'repaired' DCS installation to check again that the mod works for a last test.

Well this works very good as long you don't add new contend/files to DCS , because DCS only exchanges and backups files that it 'knows' -

so: when I add a new font it will be not saved in the backup folder... -

And I got fooled that it works when I tested because in DCS the needed font was still there - even after the repair.

I only realised it on a second test run on my absulute never modded DCS backup installation that contents only the original files....

That's the cause why it wasn't included in my first 'hasty' upload.

Cheers!

Edited by PeterP

Well this works very good as long you don't add new contend/files to DCS , because DCS only exchanges and backups files that it 'knows' -

The fact that it leaves 'unknown' files and folders alone is quite convenient though.

Thanks again!

Edited by cichlidfan

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Someone should make this kneewboard export to a tablet... you can strap the thing to your leg and switch pages like with any tablet.

hm...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I5 4670k, 32GB, GTX 1070, Thrustmaster TFRP, G940 Throttle extremely modded with Bodnar 0836X and Bu0836A,

Warthog Joystick with F-18 grip, Oculus Rift S - Almost all is made from gifts from friends, the most expensive parts at least

Someone should make this kneewboard export to a tablet... you can strap the thing to your leg and switch pages like with any tablet.

hm...

Easy-peasy - no need for a dedicated application - it is already possible:

there is an app for almost every tablet , android/apple , that let you hook it up as Virtual-monitor to your PC. Than simply expand the DCS Render to this Virtual-monitor, and place your Kneeboard in it.

Than use a key-script app to define page-up/down to certain spaces of this tablet.

Finished!

Edited by PeterP

interesting. but would be more "realistic" to use the touchscreen on the tablet for inputs. :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I5 4670k, 32GB, GTX 1070, Thrustmaster TFRP, G940 Throttle extremely modded with Bodnar 0836X and Bu0836A,

Warthog Joystick with F-18 grip, Oculus Rift S - Almost all is made from gifts from friends, the most expensive parts at least

interesting. but would be more "realistic" to use the touchscreen on the tablet for inputs. smile.gif

exactly this is what the key-script app is doing that I mentioned in my previous post - there are so much flavours ... I cant list them - do a search.

Some work directly on the tablet - so you can program a gesture that sends a certain key-press to your pc or you can program it on your pc and it will be triggered via the touch-mouse function of the tablet and executed on your pc.

(I use autohotkey + Air display on a iPad - so the iPad behaves just like another touch-screen monitor hooked to my pc )

Here is a showcase what I do with autohotkey - and it works the same when doing it on the tablet:

>>>How To:Radio Menu control with Mouse Gestures

The possibilities are sheer endless (

- without the need for a dedicated app)- it's up to you what you make out of it.

Your own imagination is the limiting factor - open it up!

;):)

Edited by PeterP

Peter, is there a possibility to have this on EMC ?

Simulatori: DCS A-10C II Warthog - DCS F/A-18C Hornet - DCS F-16C - VRS F/A-18E - 

Peter, is there a possibility to have this on EMC ?

certainly ! -this is up to Icemaker! I just provide the basics. - much better would be if ED and all 3rdParty developer would make the same changes that Icemaker and I worked out to get each view-export separated and available for end-user editing without the need to edit it again each time a new 'update' is out....

See: >>> Export

- but I would like to make it absulute independent for each module - so you can choose the position for each module independent ( what I'm using right now) - but this needs more changes to the 'core' of each module - that's a little more than a simple file-swap like this 'tiny' mod...

...I'm using right now a version were I have different key-presses to hop directly on a pre-defined page , and I don't have to open the "briefing" - its all available in real-time while I fly and on a place that I decide. (Yes - the briefing images too. in cockpit, on my virtual knees or in a export)

- and it is postulated as absulute new device in the "device_init.lua" of each module and so it need a lot of changes to each chained file including the 'input' and 'export' file.

...and I think it better to introduce it once this becomes reality: Kneebord Export for all DCS modules - I need your suggestions

....and there will be a real necessary to have another info on the knee-board available for each plane you are sitting in - because the A-10 needs another briefing than the Huey that share the same mission in a multi-player session.

:D ... so it seems the dog is biting its own tail again :D

Edited by PeterP

right now the limit might be that I don't have an "I-Tablet" :D.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

many thanks ;)

Not working for A-10C, what I did wrong ?

No problem for Mustang and Huey

many thanks ;)

Not working for A-10C, what I did wrong ?

No problem for Mustang and Huey

Clean/repaired install? - means: no leftover files of a previous 'kneeboard' mod left for the A-10C.

... You are the 'tester' - why do you ask me?! and you should know that I need more info than you gave ,

... just to convince me to have a closer look on your problem at all :D

- I could also ask: is the power plug plunged in while you fly the A-10C ?! :)

Edit:

...wait...

Edited by PeterP

Clean/repaired install? - means: no leftover files of a previous 'kneeboard' mod left for the A-10C.

... You are the 'tester' - why do you ask me?! :D

hahaha, I ask to you because you are the Master Mod :D

well, you are right - ( funny:) : I used my own suggestions that I gave you (!)- and cleaned out my 'saved games' path ...)

The knee-board is not working in the A-10C completely.

this seems some sort of " bug" - to make things clear: I'm not responsible for it - ED seems to 'forgot' to add the needed key commands to the 'Keybord.lua' of the A-10C ... seems you should make a bug-report in you testers forum.

It was was working for me while testing because I didn't deleted my (hefty edited) files of the saved-games folder.

And I made my last tests only in FC3 and the Huey...but not in the A-10C!

Once I used the keyboard default.lua of the A-10C I'm also not able to call for the knee-board in the A-10C. - will work out a fix in the next days.

In the meantime : Please read the thread-title as this

KNEEBOARD Export for 'multimonitorsetup.lua' in all modules - DCS 1.2.4 - as long the Developer of a module allowed the use of the default kneeboard.

Edited by PeterP

I've tried to add this code on Keyboard.lua (localized here -> C:\Users\Andrew\Saved Games\DCS\Config\Input\A-10C\keyboard)

{combos = {{key = "]"}, }, down = 3001, cockpit_device_id = 45, value_down = 1, name = "Kneeboard Next Page", category = "Kneeboard"},
{combos = {{key = "K", reformers = {"RShift", }}, }, down = iCommandPlaneShowKneeboard, name = "Kneeboard ON/OFF", category = "Kneeboard"},
{combos = {{key = "["}, }, down = 3002, cockpit_device_id = 45, value_down = 1, name = "Kneeboard Previous Page", category = "Kneeboard"},
{combos = {{key = "K", reformers = {"RCtrl", }}, }, down = 3003, cockpit_device_id = 45, value_down = 1, name = "Kneeboard current position mark point", category = "Kneeboard"},
{combos = {{key = "K"}, }, down = iCommandPlaneShowKneeboard, up = iCommandPlaneShowKneeboard, value_down = 1, value_up = -1, name = "Kneeboard glance view", category = "Kneeboard"},

I'll try to test later, I want to view other stuff..

try to open your Keyboard.lua and paste your code for matching

Will do - but not today - I'm getting too..., well - how to say it ?... , unsure about my user-keyboard interactions ... (it's since 30mins not my birthday any-more in my time-zone) .... I'm just happy to hold a glass without spilling it ! :)

Another cause could be that I'm using edited device_init.lua files in my saved games directory - as I said : will find soon a "easy" fix

Also thanks for the reminder to care for a more 'sterile' testing environment!

Edited by PeterP

roger that, I will wait for a solution in the next few days.

Please don't forget to make your 'bug' report !- as it is strange that all other modules expect the A-10C is using now the default Knee-board in DCS-World. - this is just a strange - even if this feature was never promised for the A-10C.

Up to the date until I will make a own 'fix' , this vids should be proof enough that the kneeboard is working very fine in the A-10C:

and a more 'experimental' stage:

Edited by PeterP

possible solution:

Open device_init.lua (...\Mods\aircrafts\A-10C\Cockpit\Scripts), go to line 762 and paste this code:

indicators[#indicators + 1] = {
"ccKneeboard",
LockOn_Options.common_script_path.."KNEEBOARD/indicator/init.lua",
devices.KNEEBOARD,
{{},
--[[
all corrections are incremental to default values or calculated on connector base
default for example : sw incremental to half width where default width is 0.1
--]]
{sx_l = -0.65,sz_l =  0.15,sy_l = -0.5,ry_l =  10, rz_l = 85 ,sw = 0.142 * 0.5 - 0.1,sh = 0.214 * 0.5 - 0.1}, 
 1}
}

Then, open Keyboard.lua (C:\Users\Andrew\Saved Games\DCS\Config\Input\A-10C\keyboard) go to line 842 [ENTER] and paste this code:

{combos = {{key = "]", reformers = {"RCtrl", }}, }, down = 3001, cockpit_device_id = 45, value_down = 1, name = "Kneeboard Next Page", category = "Kneeboard"},
{combos = {{key = "K", reformers = {"RAlt", "RCtrl", }}, }, down = iCommandPlaneShowKneeboard, name = "Kneeboard ON/OFF", category = "Kneeboard"},
{combos = {{key = "[", reformers = {"RAlt", }}, }, down = 3002, cockpit_device_id = 45, value_down = 1, name = "Kneeboard Previous Page", category = "Kneeboard"},
{combos = {{key = "K", reformers = {"RCtrl", }}, }, down = 3003, cockpit_device_id = 45, value_down = 1, name = "Kneeboard current position mark point", category = "Kneeboard"},
{combos = {{key = "K"}, {key = "/", reformers = {"RShift", }}, }, down = iCommandPlaneShowKneeboard, up = iCommandPlaneShowKneeboard, value_down = 1, value_up = -1, name = "Kneeboard glance view", category = "Kneeboard"},

1242240777_dcs2013-06-0200-50-38-49.thumb.jpg.6187d671beef631b4be024159e2c6de2.jpg

Thanks - that's it!

Edited post #1 with direct link to the fix as long I have not incorporated it in the mod. - (sorry, I can't hold it:)) but , a 'fix' directly from ED would be much more convenient.

And use Notepad++ when you edit the scripts! And: before you edit: Make a Backup, make a Backup and make a Backup! - OK ?!

General: Always make a backup ! And be very careful what you do as long there is no info that it works with your current version! If you are not sure: Check the file structure beforehand.

Edit:

Attention!

It's not save to use Heaters instruction and it isn't working!

1. there is a second entry for the "device_init.lua" missing (creators)

2. The "devices.lua" needs also a entry.

3. The key-commands trigger a conflict with other key-commands that are already occupied by default.

Please be a little patient and wait until I will upload a save-to-use file package that fixes the Kneebord for the A-10C

Edited by PeterP