Operation Bactria (MP COOP 14), Afghanistan CAS

I did a quick test tonight of the new single player version in DCS World with the audio fix applied. The audio worked fine and I got the voiceovers as usual. The mission proceeded normally - I was doing my usual Hawg flight. My EGI got fried by an SA-13 on the first tasking after I released GBU-38 on the building with the two Ural trucks. Oops. Either I need to fly higher now, or I was just lucky before. That tasking used to be a piece of cake. Looking forward to trying again when time permits.

Good to hear that its working fine in DCS: World Ralgha. I'm most concerned about Boar flight and the JTAC functionality in 1.2.0. I did a test flight and sometimes the JTAC does not recognize assigned targets. I'll have to look into this more.

Habu

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Great mission! Thanks!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Intel DZ77GA70K Extreme Board | Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 4.6GHz | EVGA GeForce GTX670 FTW Edition | Corsair Hydro Series H60

Corsair Enthusiast Series 750W | Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1600 | Corsair Obsidian Series 550D | Triple Acer 27" 2ms 5760x1080

Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | Cyborg M.M.O.7 | Razor BlackWidow Ultimate | TrackIR 4

I got a chance to play this last night, and we had one problem with it. Due to a combination of circumstances, we missed a tasking and were unable to complete the mission since we didn't know where to go next. It would be great if there were a way to repeat a tasking either manually (F10 radio menu) or automatically. Otherwise, great mission.

Hi Magnum,

Your point is well taken. There is a mod called SLmod that apparently allows players to repeat task briefings in multiplayer. The only reason why I have not adopted this mod for Op. Bactria is I want to insure compatibility with future patches at all cost. This is not to say that a future version will not incorporate the mod, and quite frankly, I do not know enough about the mod to comment appropriately.

With regards to this issue, it would also be pretty easy to incorporate something that you are talking about where task briefings are temporarily made into an F10 radio command after the briefing is activated. This would allow users one last chance to hear the briefing if they missed it the first time. After the tasking is complete, this F10 radio command would be deleted in preparation for the new tasking. Look for something like this in the next version.

Thanks for the idea.

Habu

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 2 weeks later...
This meeshun is beast bro.

Thanks Megagoth for your kind words.

Nice work! :thumbup:

Is there a chance that Ka-50 will be implemented in this mission?

Unfortunately not unless Russia could enter the fray of the NATO invasion/occupation of the territory in Op. Bactria :thumbup:! With that being said, I made a very simple Black Shark mission modeling KA-50's in the Second Chechen War for private use. In the future I may make a mission much like Bactria but in this setting with Ka-50's.

Habu

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Heya Habu!

Nice Mission you´ve made here. Had a lot of Fun with it for a couple of Hours now. Thanks for that. :)

One thing i´ve noticed in the actual SP Version : Pig Flight can´t taxi to Runway. They can´t pass the Vehicles in front of them (two is blocked by the Humvees, four drives into the Trucks and blew up.)

Greets

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My System-Specs @ SysProfile

Real Pilots need "No Mark". :D

Heya Habu!

Nice Mission you´ve made here. Had a lot of Fun with it for a couple of Hours now. Thanks for that. :)

One thing i´ve noticed in the actual SP Version : Pig Flight can´t taxi to Runway. They can´t pass the Vehicles in front of them (two is blocked by the Humvees, four drives into the Trucks and blew up.)

Greets

Hi Humvee,

Thanks for bringing this to my attention. I'll address this in a SP patch as soon as I can.

Habu

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I had an awesome 3and something hour session today on that shit. Awesome man, friggin good stuff...

Force, please set tanker speed to 270, it will be at 205-220 indicated air speed. Currently they are tumbling around 160... It's too slow mate. Unfortunately you would have to edit the briefing and the picture that comes with the mission...

Please change tacan to channel X, shows the distance. I don't know how it is in real life but... I don't know why you would set it to Y, it complicates gameplay for no reason that I can see.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

System specs:

2500k @ 4.6 GHz

8GB RAM

HD7950 OC'd

Win7 x64

Posting tracks to make your DCS better - attention bump incoming!

I had an awesome 3and something hour session today on that shit. Awesome man, friggin good stuff...

Force, please set tanker speed to 270, it will be at 205-220 indicated air speed. Currently they are tumbling around 160... It's too slow mate. Unfortunately you would have to edit the briefing and the picture that comes with the mission...

Please change tacan to channel X, shows the distance. I don't know how it is in real life but... I don't know why you would set it to Y, it complicates gameplay for no reason that I can see.

Reference thread #1; thread #2. Y TACAN channels are used for airborne transmitters while X channels are used for the ground. To get around the range issue, just input 125X or 126X instead of "Y". I believe this is merely a bug in the game.

Habu

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Love this mission Habu, fly it once a day. Always different, always challenging. Did keep getting owned by MANPADS at the beginning. Hate the buggers.

One question. I never seem to be able to contact Chalice to tell them im going home. F10 menu never gives me anything.:huh:

Love this mission Habu, fly it once a day. Always different, always challenging. Did keep getting owned by MANPADS at the beginning. Hate the buggers.

One question. I never seem to be able to contact Chalice to tell them im going home. F10 menu never gives me anything.:huh:

Hi Furious,

Glad you are having fun. I know that the F10 radio commands do not work in multiplayer, though they should in singleplayer. I believe that the multiplayer host had access to the commands in v1.1.1.1, but I'm not so sure for DCS: World.

Habu

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hi Furious,

Glad you are having fun. I know that the F10 radio commands do not work in multiplayer, though they should in singleplayer. I believe that the multiplayer host had access to the commands in v1.1.1.1, but I'm not so sure for DCS: World.

Habu

Host can still use F10 in MP. The alternative is slmod which means anyone could use the commands just not via the F10 menu.

Always remember. I don't have a clue what I'm doing

Hi I am liking this concept immensely and look forward to trying your mission. Just one query after looking at the screenshots. Have you tried to change the season to autumn in ME for more brown vegetation until you can port it to Nevada? ;)

i5 8600k@5.2Ghz, Asus Prime A Z370, 32Gb DDR4 3000, GTX1080 SC, Oculus Rift CV1, Modded TM Warthog Modded X52 Collective, Jetseat, W10 Pro 64

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Communication with the Hawg flight ain't working (for me in the single player version) with the standard frequency of 251.0 (which is not in the briefing btw, had it from the mission editor) after changing it to the default 225.0 all is working normal again.

Win10-X64, I5,-8600K oc-4,8Ghz, 16GB DDR4, MSI RTX 2080ti, HOTAS Warthog, MFG crosswind pedals, KW-908 Jetseat , HTC Vive with lens mod.

• 2 weeks later...

Awesome mission!!! Probably the best I've see so far. I written several missions for my clan/squad but none have the randomness factor like you put in. I've been trying to unravel your triggers, any change you have a word document or something that could teach me how to do what you did? Again, great mission.

Paco

Awesome mission!!! Probably the best I've see so far. I written several missions for my clan/squad but none have the randomness factor like you put in. I've been trying to unravel your triggers, any change you have a word document or something that could teach me how to do what you did? Again, great mission.

Thanks Paco for your kind words. With so many taskings and three flights to manage, a very efficient trigger system was needed so that I could keep track of everything. Rather than attempt to explain Op. Bactria in its entirety, I will soon upload a mission that utilizes the exact same trigger framework (minus detailed and elaborate taskings). I feel that this is the least confusing way to illustrate how randomization occurs and how the system is completely modular.

Habu

Edited by Habu23

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Op. Bactria Framework in Layman's Terms

I hope...:cry:

I am attaching a sample mission that aims to demonstrate Op. Bactria's trigger framework in simple terms without all the specific task triggers. The Sample Mission contains 10 mock tasks (fly to a steerpoint) and will succeed when any three tasks are completed.

Let me define the triggers:

-Flag 1 is randomly set to a certain value (1-10 in this mission).

-Flag 11 is used to initiate or stop the framework from randomly generating new tasking

-Flag 12 is used as a counter to record how many tasks were successfully completed. At the completion of every task, Flag 12 is Increased by a value of 1. After three successful completions, Flag 12 will equal a value of 3 and then trigger the "***Hawg_Mission_Complete" trigger.

-Tasks are started and ended with the following system

Task#1 Start: Flag 100

Task#1 End: Flag 199

Task#2 Start: Flag 200

Task#2 End: Flag 299

etc...

Task#8 Start: Flag 800

Task#8 End: Flag 899

etc...

Task#10 Start: Flag 1000

Task#10 End: Flag 1099

Realizing that I would probably not use 99 triggers for any one task, I end each task number with 99 at the end so its consistent with the endings of all other taskings. Task#1 begins when Flag 100 is turned on, and ends when Flag 199 is declared. Task #2 begins when Flag 200 is turned on, and ends when Flag 299 is declared. Task #10 begins when Flag 1000 is turned on, and ends when Flag 1099 is turned on. I hope you get this system.

At the beginning of the mission, I turn Flag 11 on, thus stopping any kind of randomization activity to take place until I reach the IP trigger zone. I also set Flag 12 to a value of 0 as no taskings have been completed.

Once I reach the IP, "***A-10@IP" trigger activates and initiates randomization by turning the switch Flag 11 off.

The continuous trigger "***RandomInitHawg" realizes that Flag 11 is false and also checks to insure that the mission isn't already completed (Flag 12 at a value of 3). This trigger then sets Flag 1 (the random value Flag) to a number between 1 and 10.

The next ten continuous triggers checks to see that randomization is occurring (Flag 11 is false), and then makes two additional checks: If the task hasn't already been completed (Flags 199, 299, 399, 499, etc. are false) and if the random number generator, Flag 1, chose a cooresponding task, (Flag 1 Equals 1, Flag 1 Equals 2, Flag 1 Equals 3, Flag 1 Equals 4, etc.). Once this occurs, it will turn the randomizing process off (Flag 11 is true) and then declare a Task-starting flag that corresponds with the random value that Flag 1 was set to.

Example 1:

{Flag 1 is randomly set to value 1, Flag 199 is false (great, this tasking has not been played)}, {let's set Flag 100 to be true (okay, i'm starting up the task!). Flag 11 is on (Let's not forget to turn off randomization because we're in the middle of a task!)

Example 2:

{Flag 1 is randomly set to value 2, Flag 299 is false (great, this tasking has not been played)}, {let's set Flag 200 to be true (okay, i'm starting up the task!). Flag 11 is on (Let's not forget to turn off randomization because we're in the middle of a task!)

Example 3:

{Flag 1 is randomly set to value 3, Flag 399 is false (great, this tasking has not been played)}, {let's set Flag 300 to be true (okay, i'm starting up the task!). Flag 11 is on (Let's not forget to turn off randomization because we're in the middle of a task!)

Are you still with me? :thumbup:

You will notice 10 additional continuous triggers below the mission complete trigger. All these do is if by chance Flag 1 (the randomizer) selects a task that was already completed (Flag 199 is true), it turns Flag 11 back off so that it can restart the process. Flag 1 will then randomly select a number again until it picks a task that has not been completed yet.

The "Hawg_Task#1_Start" or "Hawg_Task#2_Start" or "Hawg_Task#3_Start", etc., is the trigger that actually begins the tasking. It waits until Flag 100, 200, 300, etc., is declared true and then activates Tasks 1, 2, 3, respectively.

Once a task is complete (in this mission, simply fly through the steerpoint with the appropriate task), all you need to do is declare the end variable 199, 299, or 399 respectively and the present task will end. With this framework, a new task will be automatically generated.

Example:

Flag 100 is declared, Task#1 is activated!

I fly to steerpoint Task#1.

"Hawg_Task#1_End" trigger detects that the aircraft is in the trigger zone and declares Flag 199 to be true in order to end the tasking. The second set of continuous triggers realizes that Flag 1 was set to 1 (to activate Task#1) and that Flag 199 is true (Task #1 was completed), so it declares Flag 11 off to restart the randomization process.

How does this apply to the actual Op. Bactria

Op. Bactria uses this exact same system but replicates the framework three times for the three individual flights. Obviously, the sample mission is very simple. For more elaborate tasks like those in Op. Bactria, declaring the task starting flags to true (100,200,300, etc.) initiates more flags and conditions (101,201,301, etc.) that lead to Group Activate actions, smoke, or explosions.

You will notice that Hawg flight begins at Task #1, Pig flight starts at Task#11, and Boar flight begins at Task#21. This is how the framework is modular. I can add taskings to any flights in future versions by simply adding more values to the randomizer flags (Flags 1,2,3), additional continuous triggers where needed, and obviously the tasks themselves. If I wanted to add another flight in another version, I can guarantee you that it will begin with Task#31 to allow room for expansions in the previous flight (Boar flight).

If you read this far...

I tried my absolute best to explain the framework and mission in the simplest, most understandable way. If you are still confused, don't hesitate to ask questions. I sincerely hope that this explanation allows others to understand how the trigger system works in Op. Bactria.

Op. Bactria version 3 is being worked on, but it will take considerable time to release as I will be away from my main computer.

Habu

Op_Bactria_Framework.miz

Edited by Habu23
  • Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Babu,

Thanks so much for the help! I had the day off yesterday and spent considerable time looking at your trigger list, this helps immensely! Again this is the best mission I've seen in DCS for replay value. Thanks again, looking forward to some more of your creations. Are you a programmer in real life?

Paco

Paco