Black Shark 2 Released

Wags

I've got to admit I'm a little disappointed, as I didn't realise it would be a paid upgrade rather than a patch. Money is VERY tight right now (I go out probably about once per month), so I won't be buying instantly, although I probably will get this at some point.

Is there likely to be any way to purchase this in other currencies, as I am charged extra for buying something in dollars?

It is a little worrying if various modules are to be compatible in the future, as it could end up being a fair outlay to bring everything up to date with the latest product, although I do understand that this could be needed to support the busines, especially as there's a very demanding and particular, yet small, userbase.

Edit: also with only 15GB remaining on my SSD, i'll have to wait until I can afford a bigger one. Much more than $19.99 :)

Edited by Rusty_M

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dammit! I already spend too much time in the Shark, now I'll never learn how to use the Warthog's CDU!

Seriously, what a frickin' surprise! :D THANK YOU ED for continuing to deliver the most detailed, polished sims on the market! Buying BS2 tonight.

I just realized that you guys might not legally be able to release a Steam version upgrade unless it's through the Steam store?

I don't mind waiting for a Steam release in the form of DLC and having to do that, but would appreciate at least some feedback of what's going on.

If it's a registry tweak or installer bug then I'd be happy to pay now too :)

Can't speak for ED but if that is the route you would only have to purchase if you planned to fly the previous modules...

Well if that is the case they sure as hell gotta improve the multiplayer interface to indicate if the server or mission a player is joining has the aircraft available to be flown into the mission.

Not sure if this has been answered...

does BS2 gain a 64bit executable?

Will all the common and shared files between WH and BS actually be located in a single location, or will we still have multiple copies of said files?

The right man in the wrong place makes all the difference in the world.

Current Projects:  Grayflag ServerScripting Wiki

Useful Links: Mission Scripting Tools MIST-(GitHub) MIST-(Thread)

SLMOD, Wiki wishlist, Mission Editing Wiki!, Mission Building Forum

Thanks ED team!

I must admit that when it was said that compatibility patches would be (or was it would most likely be?) provided for free, I was a little worried that it was an unworkable business model. Well, this answers that, I guess it WAS an unworkable business model. While I never enjoy having to dish out money, $20 is a very small price to pay for an updated Black Shark. Hell, I just finally had to break down and buy Fraps for a ridiculously over-priced $37, and I bought that simply to record videos for a mod for A-10. How much work really went into such a tiny little program like Fraps? And yet you guys come out with this huge upgrade for only $20 :)

Intelligent discourse can only begin with the honest admission of your own fallibility.

Member of the Virtual Tactical Air Group: http://vtacticalairgroup.com/

Lua scripts and mods:

MIssion Scripting Tools (Mist): http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=98616

Slmod version 7.0 for DCS: World: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=80979

Now includes remote server administration tools for kicking, banning, loading missions, etc.

does BS2 gain a 64bit executable?

Yes.

Will all the common and shared files between WH and BS actually be located in a single location, or will we still have multiple copies of said files?

Separate directories.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

Well when the 5th gen DCS title is out I guess I get to look forward to "Upgrading" the previous 4 then. Considering A-10 was built upon the BS's engine it seems now honestly like lazy programming that they didn't just keep the BS implemented in the new code as they built the A-10. I mean I was lead to believe from all the posts by developers and Wags himself that this would be a patch and then it comes out and it's a $20 upgrade. It just doesn't seem right. It also doesn't seem right down the road with the next module and the next module.

I must say I'm a bit concerned about what will happen next too (not aggreeing on the "lazy programming" bit though - of course it's perfectly understandable that achieving compatibility between independant modules can take a lot of effort for something as complex as DCS).

I'm only flying the Warthog right now (+ some FC2) so it's great if BS pilots are happy with the upgrade - and I'll get to fly online with my BlackShark squadmates which is pretty cool too ;)

But then what will happen when the next DCS module comes out, or when one of the DCS modules gets a major upgrade (major = big enough to greatly affect online compatibility, requiring a lot of work on each DCS module to get compatibility back). Will it be mandatory to buy a $20 upgrade for each sim just to keep the online compatibility ?

I'm asking that because I'm flying with an online squad where each pilot has his favorite aircraft but we all fly together online on large coop missions, meaning that right now, multi-aircraft missions are flown with FC2 + BS.

So when we will be flying online together on DCS BlackShark + DCS Warthog + (hopefully) DCS Hornet or whatever DCS module comes next, will it be mandatory for everyone to upgrade their sim(s) every time another DCS module comes out ? I would hate having to tell someone "upgrade, or get out" :(

So basically, is this $20 upgrade a one-time thing or should we expect to see the same paying upgrade process for each DCS module every time a new DCS module comes out ?

Thanks in advance for your lights on that matter :thumbup:

Edited by 92nd-MajorBug
  • Like 1
92nd Kodiak Air Force - May the Greuh be with you

I can play BS and A-10C on my PC , does BS 2 need a more powerful PC ?

It's the same as A10C as far as requirements goes.

Spoiler

Intel 13900K (5Ghz), 64Gb 6400Mhz, MSi RTX 3090, Schiit Modi/Magi DAC/AMP, ASUS PG43UQ, Hotas Warthog, RealSimulator FSSB3, 2x TM MFDs + DCS MFDs, MFG Crosswinds, Elgato Steamdeck XL

No - if it runs A-10C then you will not have an issue.

Boing: Headshot

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

If it runs A-10C, it runs BS2.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

|
| Life of a Game Tester

Meh, I got rid of my creditcard, then they decide to release this :( :(

PM me if you require assistance. Might be able to help if you have a Paypal account.

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

The check should only apply on install. You can, if you so desire, uninstall DCS:BS1 afterwards. (This is the same as with FC2 and LOMAC.)

Obviously, if you then wish to reinstall DCS:BS2 for whatever reason, you would have to first install DCS:BS1.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

|
| Life of a Game Tester

Nope, my question was more on the status of this upgrade with the Steam version of BS1.

I can see that the answer is either (a) we don't know or (b) we don't want to say just yet, so I'll leave it be and check back later.

Congrats on the update release regardless.

Ah I see, BS2 upgrade should work, STEAM or not, I'm trying to find why it isn't for some.

Nate

Well, yeah, radios work.

Do you mean in a specific way?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

|
| Life of a Game Tester