Oh wingman, why do you mock me so?

kontiuka

Hmm... might have found a reason, I had Vipers AI mod installed. I deleted it and ran a test mission and it worked just fine. I am going to play with that a little bit and will report if the problem returns. If not - sorry for false alarm.
ok. For the record, the problem I described was with no mods installed.

It's good to know that this is not a problem only I have. I don't have any mod but my wingman refuses to attack after sending roger, affirmative, etc. for my attack at my SPI command.

It seems to be random - but as someone pointed out, your wingman should spot the target himself before the attack. Also I think it helps if you broadcast your SPI and use "attack target at my SPI" command as opposed to "attack targets of opportunity".

The only problem that persists is my wingman announcing "RTB" momrnts after he tells me he rejoins the formation.

ce535d_9d347b62819c4372b3c485a4f95d2004~mv2.png

I've been trying serpents tail lately. SPI broadcast on and set via tgp, tell wingman to attack, hear my pilot tell him to attack at SPI, then nothing...no reply, nothing. He just follows me around.

*edit. Saw in another thread that 1.2.8 broke easy comms.

Edited by EagleTwoThree

Intel i9 9900k | 32 GB RAM | EVGA RTX 2080Ti | 2x 1TB Samsung 970 Evo

I used the Advanced com system and I cannot replicate this bug. It seems not all of us have it? I go into the instant action mission that was mentioned and after I order him too, my wingman engages and kills the patrol with his gun. Then I fly to waypoint 4, BRIDGE, and make a SPI over the Shilka protecting it. "Flight, engage air defences at my SPI with Maverick."

"Two, roger"

"Two, engaging air defenses."

And the Shilka is dead. I'll try it in some more missions later tonight and see if I can replicate it.

RTX 2070 8GB | 32GB DDR4 2666 RAM | AMD Ryzen 5 3600 4.2Ghz | Asrock X570 | CH Fighterstick/Pro Throttle | TM MFDs | TrackIR 5

I used the Advanced com system and I cannot replicate this bug. It seems not all of us have it? I go into the instant action mission that was mentioned and after I order him too, my wingman engages and kills the patrol with his gun. Then I fly to waypoint 4, BRIDGE, and make a SPI over the Shilka protecting it. "Flight, engage air defences at my SPI with Maverick."

"Two, roger"

"Two, engaging air defenses."

And the Shilka is dead. I'll try it in some more missions later tonight and see if I can replicate it.

I wonder if something changed in 1.2.8 because it was pretty repeatable for me.

• 4 weeks later...

So are comms still broken? I can't my wingman to do anything. He likes to call out targets and tell me when he's getting shot at, but if I have a SPI designated, and go through the comms to tell him to attack air defence at my SPI with missiles, he ignores me.

*edit. BTW, I'm playing the single missions. Not even to the campaign yet.

So are comms still broken? I can't my wingman to do anything. He likes to call out targets and tell me when he's getting shot at, but if I have a SPI designated, and go through the comms to tell him to attack air defence at my SPI with missiles, he ignores me.

Not sure if it is relevant in AI, but do you actually *share* your SPI before tasking your wingman? Also, several times I was annoyed that my wingman would say "engaging target" and then immediately "rejoin" or, alternatively say he is unable, only to find out that he was badly damaged and jetissoned all his ordnance :)

ce535d_9d347b62819c4372b3c485a4f95d2004~mv2.png

Wingman do respond and act accordingly under the right circumstances. If you're telling your wingman to attack and he isn't even giving you a response, you might want to check if your radios are set up properly. I would turn easy communications off in the DCS options screen. Then make sure your UHF radio is set to the right frequency - usually 251MHz. It should be if you haven't touched it. Finally, make sure you are actually communicating over the UHF radio. I've more than once tried ordering my wingman to do something over VHF radio and of course got no response.

The Shorter and less complicated the track the better please.

Nate

I know that the shorter the track helps but does not always happed. In line#8 the track for the A10 you can see that when I send my wing man to engage targets at the 2nd wp he will fly to the target and turn around and turn back again. This action happen 50% of the time for me.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

=&arrFilter_pf[gameversion]=&arrFilter_pf[filelang]=&arrFilter_pf[aircraft]=&arrFilter_CREATED_USER_NAME=chardly38&set_filter=Filter&set_filter=Y"]MY SKINS And Helios

i7 2600k 3.4 quad w/ Hyper N520 cpu fan_, Asus Sabertooth z77_, RX 580_, Corsair Vengeance 1800 8Gb ram_, 112 OCZ Vertex 3_, Corsair HX 1000, 3 screens res 5292x1050_,and 1 1680x1050 Helios Ir Tracker 5 with Pro Clip_,Hotas Warthog#12167 ...

Not sure if it is relevant in AI, but do you actually *share* your SPI before tasking your wingman? Also, several times I was annoyed that my wingman would say "engaging target" and then immediately "rejoin" or, alternatively say he is unable, only to find out that he was badly damaged and jetissoned all his ordnance :)

Yeah, I had the SPI shared as indicated on the TAD. It was as we were approaching the area, so he wasn't damaged or anything. The SPI was a point on the ground at the area known to have some AAA. I told him to attack air defenses at my SPI. I got no response.

Is it possible that if he has not "seen" the AAA, and I don't have it specifically marked, he would do nothing? Shouldn't he at least say "unable" or something?

Wingman do respond and act accordingly under the right circumstances. If you're telling your wingman to attack and he isn't even giving you a response, you might want to check if your radios are set up properly. I would turn easy communications off in the DCS options screen. Then make sure your UHF radio is set to the right frequency - usually 251MHz. It should be if you haven't touched it. Finally, make sure you are actually communicating over the UHF radio. I've more than once tried ordering my wingman to do something over VHF radio and of course got no response.

Right. I was using easy comms, and I saw in another thread that easy comms were broken with 1.2.8, which is why I asked.

Funny part is, I had been setting up my radios not knowing that I didn't have to because I was using easy comms. I was using the "\" key to bring up comms and went from there. I flew last night and remapped VHF AM/FM and UHF to the arrow keys, since I'm using the Cougar F16 stick (using comm switch as china hat).

When I used the UHF (mapped it to arrow key down), he did respond on that last flight and went at them. The problem is that I'm not sure if it's because I was using the arrow keys to select the radio (UHF in this case), or because he reported the AAA before I told him to go kill it. I'll have to run it again and tell him before he sees the AAA and see what happens.

*edit: So, Easy Comms is not checked in options. Apparently, I was never using easy comms. Anyway, I set up both VHF radios to the JTAC freq 65.500, and had them on TR and FM. In the "Sunset Sierra" mission, I can't get JTAC to respond. I've tried flying at WP3 and contacting them, no reply. Tried killing arty, then going back to WP3 and contacting, no reply.

My wingman will reply and attack the AAA when I tell him to *IF* he's already told me it's there.

JTAC just doesn't reply. Ever.

Can someone please try the "Sunset Sierra" mission and see if JTAC responds to them?

Edited by EagleTwoThree

*edit 2: OK, I just reviewed a good comm video, and my problem may have been the am/fm/man/pre switch. I had them in am or fm based on which one I wanted, rather than having them in man. I'll try that and see.

comm video:

*edit 2: OK, I just reviewed a good comm video, and my problem may have been the am/fm/man/pre switch. I had them in am or fm based on which one I wanted, rather than having them in man. I'll try that and see.

comm video:

That was my problem. The VHF radio sw (am/fm/man/pre) was in am or fm depending on if I wanted them to use am or fm. Apparently, that's not how it works. You have to have them set on man or pre. Once I set the lower (fm radio it turns out) sw to "man", JTAC responded. I also checked the upper (am radio it turns out) to contact Awacs, and that worked as well.

So, anyone know what the function of "am" or "fm" does on the VHF radios?