Quick question

Zanman

Hi all

As you can see this is my first post here. I have been lurking about, reading all I can & watching all the you tube uploads. I just got this Simulation A-10C, and am ready to dive in head first. I am waiting on the new x=55 HOTAS to get here, and want to ask you guys what I should invest in next, a set of rudder controls or the Track IR? I know that I will end up with all of the stuff !! I just rebuilt my home computer to the tune of 1500.00 to run this sim at optimal settings and SWMBO is eyeing my spending on this "GAME" so I have to slow down a little.

I kind of go all out when I get into something, I mean I'm looking at a new gaming keyboard,mouse,headset, IR clip for the track IR and on an on.

So what will give me the most bang for the buck starting out? Thanks guy's

TrackIR definitely. And if you're really getting into the A10C I'd recommend the Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS. I had recently spent a lot of time setting up my Saitek X45 to work with A10C and got it to where I was reasonably comfortable with it. I then got a good deal on the Warthog HOTAS and it's a joy to use. It really does make the switchology an order of magnitude easier to learn and adds to the immersion.

Good luck,

WB.

Thanks for the reply's, yea I looked at the Warthog HOTAS and thought that the 400+ tag was a little steep at this point. I went with the Saitek X-55 @ 200.00 hoping I can work with it for now. I still have the Saitek that I started with back 12 years or so ago. I believe it was Jane's combat game, that stick has the 15 pin game port hook up on the end. Thinking that ought to hit the trash this week end.

TrackIR is AS important as a good HOTAS in my opinion.

The X55 has a twist stick rudder if I'm not mistaken. So until you're ready to get pedals this should see you through.

PC Specs / Hardware: MSI z370 Gaming Plus Mainboard, Intel 8700k @ 5GHz, MSI Sea Hawk 2080 Ti @ 2100MHz, 32GB 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM

Displays: Philips BDM4065UC 60Hz 4K UHD Screen, Pimax 8KX

Controllers / Peripherals: VPC MongoosT-50, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, modded MS FFB2/CH Combatstick, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Gametrix JetSeat

+1 for TrackIR.

If you were aiming at one of the helicopters (Ka-50, Mi-8 or UH-1H), the decision would be much harder because they require rudder input all the time. But with the X55's twist grip, you're all ready to go for the A-10C, and TrackIR (or another headtracker) is the game-changer. :thumbup:

Hi Zenman, im also very new to A10c and i recomend you go for the Track Ir, its an absolute must. You wont believe how much you need it.

Remember that you can only benefit of the 6DoF if you have it and you also free up the trimming Hat button in the TM Warthog Joystick i suppose its the same for the X55.:joystick:

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Tempered Glass, Asus ROG Maximus IX Hero, Intel i7 7700K @ 4.8, Corsair HX 1000i, Nzxt Kraken 62, 32gb DDR4 3000Mhz Corsair Dominator Platinum, Nvme SSD Samsung 960 Evo 1Tb, Asus Strix OC 1080ti, Philips 43" 4K Monitor + 2 x Dell 24" U2414H, Warthog HOTAS, Track IR 5, Obutto R3volution, Buttkicker Gamer 2, MFG Crosswind pedals, Occulus Rift CV1, Windows 10 Pro.

Yes. TIR is a must. I actually have a spare in case of emergency.

• Like 1

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Track IR.... no doubt about it.

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

I'd also have to say TrackIR, it's a complete game changer once you've set it up...makes the game even more amazing!

Sorry for hijacking your thread, but it's sort of the same question: I currently have an X52 pro and trying to figure out wheter to get me a TM Warthog HOTAS or some rudder pedals.

What would people recommend to get first here?

I'd also have to say TrackIR, it's a complete game changer once you've set it up...makes the game even more amazing!

Sorry for hijacking your thread, but it's sort of the same question: I currently have an X52 pro and trying to figure out wheter to get me a TM Warthog HOTAS or some rudder pedals.

What would people recommend to get first here?

The Warthog is awesome! Anyone who has bought one will tell you this. It looks and feels (it's damn heavy) as it's been ripped straight from the cockpit of an A-10C and works exactly as it should.

That said, it of course, doesn't have a rudder function. While the A-10C doesn't profit a whole lot from rudder when it's in the air, I personally don't like to be missing an axis.

As it sounds like you're going to get both anyway, I'd get the rudder pedals first. Saitek Pro Flight pedals for instance, will only set you back a bit more than 100€, so less than a third of the price of a Warthog.

PC Specs / Hardware: MSI z370 Gaming Plus Mainboard, Intel 8700k @ 5GHz, MSI Sea Hawk 2080 Ti @ 2100MHz, 32GB 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM

Displays: Philips BDM4065UC 60Hz 4K UHD Screen, Pimax 8KX

Controllers / Peripherals: VPC MongoosT-50, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, modded MS FFB2/CH Combatstick, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Gametrix JetSeat

If you're not convinced yet... TIR, hands down...:thumbup:

Acer AMD Phenom II x 4 840T, 16 gb. memory, Zotac GTX580 Amp2 3GB, 40" Philips tv, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Combat Rudders , Cougar MFCD's w/ 21.5" LG monitor, DSD Track Master button box, 3rd. century Roman field comanders helmet w/ Track IR 5, Windows 7 Home P.

“God is a comedian, playing to an audience that's afraid to laugh.”... Voltaire

"Diplomacy is the practiced art of being able to confidently say 'nice doggie' until you find a rock" ... Tom Clancy

I currently have an X52 pro and trying to figure out wheter to get me a TM Warthog HOTAS or some rudder pedals.

What Boris said.

The X52 is a pretty solid piece of hardware for all I know. Exchanging it for a Warthog would mean you're an axis short. So I'd go rudders first and then the Warthog.

As it sounds like you're going to get both anyway, I'd get the rudder pedals first. Saitek Pro Flight pedals for instance, will only set you back a bit more than 100€, so less than a third of the price of a Warthog.

Just be warned. Those Saitek Pro Flight Pedals aren't built to last. I've "broken" mine twice. Each time an aggressive yaw kick lead to them being knocked off their track and I had to open it up to fix it. Its all plastic inside so you better never ever wear your work boots with them.

They do have a nice wide stance though and the toe breaks are easy to use, though they too also aren't the best. I've found that my toe breaks have a massive deadzone at the bottom of the range. There's no missing range on them, you get 100% input, you just have to push them a decent amount before they start to respond so thats either by (poor) design or its a result of quality control problems.

In any case, if they broke for good I would really really have a hard time going back to a stupid twist stick. A-10C does need SOME coordination in turns since the yaw damper isn't perfect (perhaps a bug) and of course crosswind landings are just horrible with a twist stick.

Warning: Nothing I say is automatically correct, even if I think it is.

Just be warned. Those Saitek Pro Flight Pedals aren't built to last. I've "broken" mine twice. Each time an aggressive yaw kick lead to them being knocked off their track and I had to open it up to fix it. Its all plastic inside so you better never ever wear your work boots with them.

They do have a nice wide stance though and the toe breaks are easy to use, though they too also aren't the best. I've found that my toe breaks have a massive deadzone at the bottom of the range. There's no missing range on them, you get 100% input, you just have to push them a decent amount before they start to respond so thats either by (poor) design or its a result of quality control problems.

In any case, if they broke for good I would really really have a hard time going back to a stupid twist stick. A-10C does need SOME coordination in turns since the yaw damper isn't perfect (perhaps a bug) and of course crosswind landings are just horrible with a twist stick.

Is it the same with the combat pedals? It's those I'm looking to get.

Is it the same with the combat pedals? It's those I'm looking to get.

I wouldn't know for sure since I've never used them, though I'm not going to make any wild and crazy wagers that the internals are any better. I would assume they'd still be plastic, even if the foot rests themselves are some kind of metal. I can't tell you if the price bump is justified based on build quality.

I also read that the toe breaks on those can be difficult to use, particularly while trying to also deflect the rudder, but don't hold me to that.

Ultimately Saitek is Saitek is Saitek. Its going to be roughly the same. Considering the fact that the throttle on the X55 is the same as the one on the X65 I wouldn't expect them to not reuse stock bits.

I've been looking into possibly going this direction, but thats a whole different price bracket.

Edited by P*Funk

I wouldn't know for sure since I've never used them, though I'm not going to make any wild and crazy wagers that the internals are any better. I would assume they'd still be plastic, even if the foot rests themselves are some kind of metal. I can't tell you if the price bump is justified based on build quality.

I also read that the toe breaks on those can be difficult to use, particularly while trying to also deflect the rudder, but don't hold me to that.

Ultimately Saitek is Saitek is Saitek. Its going to be roughly the same. Considering the fact that the throttle on the X55 is the same as the one on the X65 I wouldn't expect them to not reuse stock bits.

I've been looking into possibly going this direction, but thats a whole different price bracket.

I actually really really like the simped ones, design wise mostly, but from what I hear you can't get them anymore.

Though the crosswinds get positive reviews I just can't dig the look and that's enough for me to not get them sadly even if I had the money :/

I may start out with the saitek combat pedals and focus on spending fun-money on upgrading my stick, getting MFCD's etc and hope some time in the future something like the simpeds comes out again.

I actually really really like the simped ones, design wise mostly, but from what I hear you can't get them anymore.

Though the crosswinds get positive reviews I just can't dig the look and that's enough for me to not get them sadly even if I had the money :/

I honestly have no idea why that would matter. They'll spend the whole time under your desk with your feet on them. :lol:

At the end of the day all that should matter is if the functionality and durability is quality.

EDIT. Also, with respect to looks, the crosswinds do look an awful lot like something you might actually see in a real airplane, unlike the Saiteks.

744d1141342250-rudder-pedal-design-fw190d9-20cockpit-1-.jpg

Edited by P*Funk