Wingmen "unable"

SharpeXB

It seems my wingmen are always "unable" when I share my SPI and order them to attack. I'm doing the Devils Cross campaign which is an old one. Maybe it's a bug. Otherwise I can't figure why.

Edit: I think this only affects the Devil's Cross campaign, the wingmen work fine in regular quick missions.

probably the old campaigns have bugs in them

Edited by SharpeXB

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

I wait for wingman to call targets before tasking them.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

=&arrFilter_pf[gameversion]=&arrFilter_pf[filelang]=&arrFilter_pf[aircraft]=&arrFilter_CREATED_USER_NAME=chardly38&set_filter=Filter&set_filter=Y"]MY SKINS And Helios

i7 2600k 3.4 quad w/ Hyper N520 cpu fan_, Asus Sabertooth z77_, RX 580_, Corsair Vengeance 1800 8Gb ram_, 112 OCZ Vertex 3_, Corsair HX 1000, 3 screens res 5292x1050_,and 1 1680x1050 Helios Ir Tracker 5 with Pro Clip_,Hotas Warthog#12167 ...

I'm not sure if this is still valid, but some patches ago the best way to get AI wingmen to attack was be be fairly close to the target before ordering them in. The minimum range was well below 10 nm IIRC.

I've had terrible wingmen performance in the past, but in the last couple of months they seemed to be doing mostly okay. I just can't tell whether AI was improved or it's just me guiding them more carefully.

In any case, when they screw up, it's usually like "Two, engage armor at my SPI with Maverick", "Two: Copy" and then "Two, RTB" or "Two, rejoin" without him ever engaging a single target.

I guess "Unable" points to important conditions not being met, but unfortunately I don't know what these condition are. I guess some of them are: out of requested ammo type and JTRS/SADL failure on player or AI aircraft. But it would be good if someone could confirm and expand this list. :thumbup:

In any case, when they screw up, it's usually like "Two, engage armor at my SPI with Maverick", "Two: Copy" and then "Two, RTB" or "Two, rejoin" without him ever engaging a single target.

This shits me to no end and can really ruin an otherwise perfect mission. Definitely agree we need to understand what triggers a successful AI command.

Will give getting closer to target before issuing command a go...

Intel i5 4670 | GTX 970 | 8 gb Ram | Windows 10

Thrustmaster Warthog | Saitek Rudders | Logitech G27 | Astro A40

I have just found (thanks to kontiuka ) that the wingmen can get trapped in Gun mode, this maybe an effect.

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=122695

(EDIT)

Bug Found and Reported

The problem is not in any "specific mission", It affects all missions. The Artificial Intelligence of the wingman has a problem switching from Gun attack to any other form of attack.

To re-produce the fault

Load up Any instant action mission, task the wingman to destroy a target with Gun, allow the wingman time to destroy the target and rejoin.

Then task the wingman to destroy a target with missile or bomb, the wingman will no longer be able to attack (fault condition achieved).

( Once I had a rare occasion where the wingman was still able to attack with a bomb at the next waypoint, I allowed him 1 pass with the bomb and then tasked him to complete the attack with Gun. After that the fault occurred. )

Temporary Workaround

Avoid telling the wingman to use the gun. All other directed attacks ( ie with missile, bombs, etc) should be ok, but once he is in gun mode, thats all he will use.

Fault Status

Nate (ED Testers Team) has taken a look at it for us.

He has Reproduced the fault in a simple track and reported it.

Hopefully a fix is on the way.

Edited by Drunken_Skull

Stuka Pilot by Hans Ulrich Rudel

War of the Rats by David L. Robbins

Ghost Force: The Secret History of the SAS by Ken Connor