A few images...

BlackLion213

Hello,

The Leatherneck-sims site was down last night till this morning. I was thinking that it meant an update, but doesn't seem to be the case. I'm sure it will happen in good time...I'm not good at waiting for F-14 stuff :)

I decided to share a few of my favorite F-14 photos and hope that others will post some of their favorites. My favorite era is the 1980s and the pics reflect this. I still view the F-14 as the pinnacle of air-to-air platforms. New tech has definitely improved upon the F-14's abilities, but the ability to engage from cannon range to 100 nm+ starting in 1974 is still amazing! As such, it's role as King of the Hill among fighters was easiest to appreciate in the era of the Soviet Union, the Soviets offered scenarios that truly tested the Tomcat's abilities.

I also love grey Tomcats. It may be a reflection of the photos I saw growing up (born in 1980 - most of the photos I saw in books were taken in the mid-late 1980s) and TogGun footage (only game in town, more or less, for F-14 video till youtube came along!). Also, the variability of weathering makes each scheme quite unique in a way not seen among USAF aircraft or gloss grey USN aircraft. I think it is a very cool paint scheme - IMHO.

burner7.jpg

VF-114_Miramar.jpg

218844426_2626a78e37_b.jpg

VF-2LV.jpg

DN-ST-86-11445.jpg

DN-ST-86-11434.jpg

219055229_143110d59f_b.jpg

USSJFK_F14_Tomcats.jpg

image151.jpg

image050.jpg

F-14USN00189GrummanF-14TomcatUSNVF-213NASMiramarbyPeterJMancus-L.jpg

DN-ST-87-02412.jpg

image0381.jpg

DN-ST-86-11428.jpg

DN-SC-04-15234.jpg

F-14A_VF-213_with_Super_Etendards_1988.jpg

159862fc.jpg

Also of note, all the Tomcats shown here (save for a few gloss gull grey birds) were painted in 3-tone TPS. The photos often don't reflect this well, especially in the 1980s, seems to be related to the film of the era (my guess). The schemes are easier to see in photos from the mid-90s onward.

If Rudel or Cobra have the time, I would love to see what catches their eye, would give all of us some insight into what is to come.

Best,

Nick

Edited by BlackLion213
  • Like 1

Why is it that F-14 in photos always look so dirty and weathered compared to other carrier operated aircraft? (even old photos when these birds where new)

IAF.Tomer

My Rig:

Core i7 6700K + Corsair Hydro H100i GTX

Gigabyte Z170X Gaming 7,G.Skill 32GB DDR4 3000Mhz

Gigabyte GTX 980 OC

Samsung 840EVO 250GB + 3xCrucial 275GB in RAID 0 (1500 MB/s)

Asus MG279Q | TM Warthog + Saitek Combat Pedals + TrackIR 5

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Some of my favorites. My favorite squadron in case you have not figured is VF-143 the Pukin' Dogs.

1280px-F-14B_VF-143_over_burning_Kuwaiti_oil_wells_1990.JPEG

Dog over Kuwait circa Desert Storm.

159430.jpg

Dog on deck of the America.

DN-ST-88-02224.jpeg

Cat shot of a dog!

and finally

US_Navy_050305-N-0000C-001_Four_F-14B_Tomcats,_assigned_to_the_Pukin%5Ersquo,_Dogs_of_Fighter_Squadron_One_Four_Three_(VF-143),_conduct_one_last_flight_from_Naval_Air_Station_Oceana,_Va.jpg

the Dogs last flight over Oceana.

Part of why I love the Dogs best is because they are the only squadron whose pilots I have met time and again at airshows since I was a teenager. They were always friendly and encouraging to me. (Not to mention they had some of the funniest stories to tell me) They won my loyalty. I will be proud to represent them virtually when we get our Tomkitty to fly!

Edited by Belgeode

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

YouTube ~ Twitch

Why is it that F-14 in photos always look so dirty and weathered compared to other carrier operated aircraft? (even old photos when these birds where new)

It has to do with a few things:

1. The TPS paint used by the USN is very matte and therefore has an irregular surface that traps dirt easily.

2. The paint was constantly touched up for corrosion control, literally a spray of paint every time a panel or hatch was opened (especially in the 80s). Also, it was often touched up with a different color. Both because crews in the paint shop would grab what was available and because different batches of paint would be slightly different colors even if they were both supposed to be the same.

3. Hornets get dirty too, especially in TPS, but it seems that F-14 got walked on more (literally) and generally require more maintenance than Hornets. More maintenance means more opening panels, more fluid leaks, and more paint touch-ups...adds up to a dirtier look.

-Nick

Some of my favorites. My favorite squadron in case you have not figured is VF-143 the Pukin' Dogs.

Part of why I love the Dogs best is because they are the only squadron whose pilots I have met time and again at airshows since I was a teenager. They were always friendly and encouraging to me. (Not to mention they had some of the funniest stories to tell me) They won my loyalty. I will be proud to represent them virtually when we get our Tomkitty to fly!

One of my favorites too!

Nice spread from the 1990s to mid-2000s. :)

-Nick

One of my favorites too!

Nice spread from the 1990s to mid-2000s. :)

-Nick

Thanks! I remember the last time I saw one of the Pukin' Dogs pilots, they had made the transition to the Hornet. I asked him how the transition was for him and he got this despondent look on his face and was like "no comment" . LOL

All I could say was I am sorry. Bunch of sad faced pups over there in the new VFA-143.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

YouTube ~ Twitch

One of the most impressive things flying ever to be seen by me is a finger four flying overhead, wings swept, air cracking as they passed.

Unfortunately, I got out in July of 1974, having been with VF-74 at Oceana and on the Forrestal (for carrier quals). Of course, I lived just outside Oceana and could see the Tomcats come and go. Sure was nice seeing them!

Thanks for the pictures, guys!

The Hornet is best at killing things on the ground. Now, if we could just get a GAU-8 in the nose next to the AN/APG-65, a titanium tub around the pilot, and a couple of J-58 engines in the tail...

Some of my photos from the 2005-2006 cruise on the TR.

Picture658.jpg

Picture1254.jpg

Tomcat11.jpg

Tomcat31d.jpg

Tomcat31b.jpg

Picture096.jpg

Pic058.jpg

Lion213.jpg

Lion207.jpg

TurkeyintheGroove.jpg

Truly superior pilots are those that use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills.

If you ever find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

"If at first you don't succeed, Carrier Landings are not for you!"

I come here every day to dazzle the beauty of that aircraft.

Thanks guys.

Intel i7 7700K | ASUS MAXIMUN IX Hero | GSkill RBG 3000mhz 32G(4x8G) | MSI Trio 1080ti | 1x M.2 SSD Samsung 960PRO 512G | 1 x WesterDigital 4T | Corsair AX-850W | Monitor Alienware 34" aw3418dw | Oblisidian 800D |CORSAIR H80 | Teclado Logitech G15 |Mouse Razer DeathAdder Elite | Trackir 5 + Clip pro | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | Pedal MFG Crosswind

This may sound stupid, but does the boat accelerates a bit when the aircraft is at full throttle just prior catapulting? :)

once the blast deflector goes up you have a balancing of the forces acting on the ship to accelerate it, however the section between the holding brace on the front oleo and the blast deflector will be under a slight bit of stretching force.

To put numbers on it, the F14 delivers around 55,600 lbs of thrust at full afterburner

The likes of the Carl Vinson CVN-70 weighs in around 226 912 000lbs so any acceleration from one or two F14s on the catapult will be negligible :)

Sons of Dogs, Come Eat Flesh

Clan Cameron

So sad:(

I'd love to see one fly again.

harrier landing GIFRYZEN 7 3700X Running at 4.35 GHz

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti

32gb DDR4 RAM @3200 MHz

Oculus CV1 NvME 970 EVO

TM Warthog Stick & Throttle plus 11" extension. VKB T-Rudder MKIV

So sad:(

I'd love to see one fly again.

Those two are the only two left that aren't in Museums or on a stick somewhere. As far as I know all US F-14s will not be able to fly again. These two may be an exception but most likely aren't able to become full mission capable again.

VF-2 Bounty Hunters

https://www.csg-1.com/

DCS F-14 Pilot/RIO Discord:

https://discord.gg/6bbthxk

there are 6 Flight worthy BuNos left, the Avionics and Mission Packages are logged and stored in a secure facility to avoid accidental export.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

Those two are the only two left that aren't in Museums or on a stick somewhere. As far as I know all US F-14s will not be able to fly again. These two may be an exception but most likely aren't able to become full mission capable again.

I've heard the same.

The US Navy aggressively "de-miled" all the F-14s to ensure that no useful spare parts could be picked off and shipped to Iran. There are a lot of F-14's in museums and most of them were sent there after or around the official retirement. It's great that we can see them, but the "de-mil-ing" leaves them looking more like a corpse, I now find it depressing.

There are a few that are not "de-miled", such as the National Air and Space Muesem, Seattle Aerospace museum, a museum near Orlando Florida (I sat in that one, according the owner/curator, it was only 3 components from flying status), and a few other museums that obtained their examples before the "de-mil-ing" program of 2005-2006.

"Snort" Snodgrass tried to create an Airshow fleet of F-14s in the early 2000s (he is still very involved in the Airshow circuit), but Congress blocked him on the basis of the risk of parts heading to Iran.

Iran still as 40-50 operational Tomcats. If relations ever warm and they decide to retire their force (which will need to happen - they are almost 40 years old now, can't fly them forever), they might be a source for operating a flyable F-14 for the Airshow circuit.

These issues make the LNS Tomcat even more important since the best way to see and experience the aircraft is the virtual setting given all the restrictions imposed by Congress. Though the strange thing is that Iran also operates the F-4D, F-4F, and F-5E. All of these aircraft are in museums without "de-mil-ing" and the F-4s are flown on the airshow circuit. Why is the F-14 viewed so differently?

I haven't given up hope that someone will fly an F-14 in the US again, but it will definitely be a while if it ever happens (like 20-30 years in my mind).

-Nick

Well the Alley Cats just recently got a refit didn't they? The amount of US tech they're using is going down as it fails, there could be hope for the Tomcats to get back in the air sooner than two or three decades if that trend continues.

Well the Alley Cats just recently got a refit didn't they? The amount of US tech they're using is going down as it fails, there could be hope for the Tomcats to get back in the air sooner than two or three decades if that trend continues.

Yes, most of the IRIAF Tomcats underwent a complete rebuild about 10 years ago and they are upgrading the tech.

There are Tomcats in the air right now (daily basis I mean), but they aren't flying where I can see them.

Plus, the aircraft only looks right to me in TPS grey, the Tomcats I remember from airshows as a kid. They were amazing to see in person and in the air, nothing could shake the ground like they did (well...except the B-1B at full burner :thumbup: ).

-Nick