Anti-Ice vs Engine Power Tests & Rotor RPM

DJK

Hi. I'm not sure if this has been discussed before, but i didn't had much luck finding information on the subject.

Basically.. following a "by the book" startup procedure that is described in the manual of the Ka-50, the anti-ice systems are to be tested before the engine power tests (GG & PT contour).

That said.. if the outside temperature conditions require the anti-ice system to be on, when does one activates them? Once the anti-ice tests are complete, just leave them on? Or would that interfere with the engine power tests? Given the fact that the engine will bleed air for the anti-ice system, i assume that it will.

Or just perform the anti-ice tests, turn them off (as the procedures in the manual indicates), then proceed with the engine power tests and activate the anti-ice systems just before takeoff during the final checks?

Also, during the startup procedure of first engine, the last thing mentioned in the procedure is to check rotor rpm at idle power. Does anyone knows what "official" value the rotor rpm should be at with only one engine @ idle power?

From my experience, it stabilizes @ 53% rpm most of the times.. but without an official value given, i cannot tell if that is correct or not.

Note that the manual states that with both engines on, rotor rpm should be between 62-70%

Thanks in advance,

DJK

I have compiled a working copy of a full start-up with checks and tests in detail.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Qm7E__XWqjn0fqUI9qrrul-dVDF8WkCAaYyEYGUfB_E/edit#gid=2024048813

engines anti-icing/dust protection systems switch: Check EGT should increase up to 60°С and GG RPM should increase up to 2%. Turn it off after check.

During the engine startup cycle:Check Disengagement of the starter at GG RPM 60…65%. Monitor this with the “start valveʺ Annunciator light going off (engines startup control panel on the left hand side panel).

Reaper6

"De oppresso liber"

NZXT Phantom Full Tower, Intel Core i7 4960X Processor(6x 3.60GHz/15MB L3Cache) 20% Overclocking, 64GB DDR3-2133 Memory, NVIDIA GeForce GTX Titan Black-6GB SLI Mode(Dual Cards), Gigabyte GA-X79-UP4 Motherboard, ViewSonic PJD5132 SVGA Multi-Region 3D Ready Portable DLP Projector, Track IR 5, Thrustmaster Warthog, Cougar MFDs.

Thanks for replying Reaper6.

I have went trough the manual procedures and checklists, as well as the one you compiled. However, while outside temperature requires engine/rotor anti-ice on (lets say the mission is taking place below 0 deg. c).. once you finish with the anti-ice testing (engines anti-icing/dust protection systems switch: Check EGT should increase up to 60°С and GG RPM should increase up to 2%. Turn it off after check.) when is it safe to turn on anti-ice? Before GG & PT contour tests or after.. just before takeoff? I am assuming that turning it on before GG & PT contour tests will mess the test readings, since the anti-ice is powered by bleeding air from the engine.. and turning it on after the tests can increase the risk of engine shutdown due to ice conditions?

As for the engine startup, the checklists in the manual and yours, for that matter say "-After the Left engine has been started, check the rotor's RPM at idle power." Again.. question is what value am i looking for? When both engine have started, it states that rotor rpm should be between 62 - 70%, but no rpm value is specified after starting just the left engine.

Thanks,

DJK

Edited by DJK

I think it is supposed to be turned off after test, and then turned on(if required) after full start-up/tests are completed.

I would be guessing that the value for each engines RPM should be 60-65% during engine idle? I'll have to look into it.

Reaper6

"De oppresso liber"

NZXT Phantom Full Tower, Intel Core i7 4960X Processor(6x 3.60GHz/15MB L3Cache) 20% Overclocking, 64GB DDR3-2133 Memory, NVIDIA GeForce GTX Titan Black-6GB SLI Mode(Dual Cards), Gigabyte GA-X79-UP4 Motherboard, ViewSonic PJD5132 SVGA Multi-Region 3D Ready Portable DLP Projector, Track IR 5, Thrustmaster Warthog, Cougar MFDs.

Yeah.. figured that the anti-ice tests should be off during the engine power tests.. since they'd require a "clean" configuration i guess..

Its the rotor rpm that needs checking after left engine start, not the engine rpm - page 6, last line on your compiled checklist.

After both engines started, it asks to check the same thing - page 7, last line on your compiled checklist - but also gives the values you need to be looking for. Above 62%

As for the actual rotor rpm.. i usually get 53-54% at idle collective & throttle setting after left engine start.. which seems to be consistent. I'm sure the value needed to check is somewhere around there, since the other instruments are within normal range.. but just wanted to make sure if theres an "official" rotor rpm value that i may have missed.

In any case, thanks for the answers :thumbup:

Cheers,

DJK

Edited by DJK

as the anti-ice system draws main engine power, testing main engine power with them on will return erroneous results.

It won't hurt anything to have the anti-ice off during startup checks. Ice won't accumulate fast enough to be a problem. Just remember to turn the system on before takeoff (if conditions require)