Is it just me?

skinnadoor

I do enjoy every bit of excitement that DCS and DCS world has given me over the last few epic years in the realm of flight sims....but.....

With DCS 2.0 on the way... owning A10C, Huey, Mig21 and P51..... I find myself not flying, Just waiting.

I am so jacked about DCS 2.0 that I've just shut down.... Is anyone else in the same boat or am I off my med's?

Intel Core i5-4690K Devil's Canyon Quad-Core 3.5GHz (cooler master hyper 212 evo CPU FAN), ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO (Intel LGA 1150) motherboard, 16GB PC2400 DDR3 RAM, ASUS STRIX GTX 970 4GB Video Card, Creative Soundblaster Z Pci-E Sound card, 750W Power supply, MS Force Feedback 2 Joystick, Trackir 5, Logitech Z-5500 5.1 surround sound.

I do enjoy every bit of excitement that DCS and DCS world has given me over the last few epic years in the realm of flight sims....but.....

With DCS 2.0 on the way... owning A10C, Huey, Mig21 and P51..... I find myself not flying, Just waiting.

I am so jacked about DCS 2.0 that I've just shut down.... Is anyone else in the same boat or am I off my med's?

Maybe not off your med's but it sound like you're off DCS!!! lol.

I'm looking forward to EDGE in many ways, and I really am hoping it brings many improvement's to DCS World, including x-fire support as I have two GPU's and one of them ain't doing jack as it's not supported right now :(

I'm also really looking forward to the Nevada map, which has gone very quiet of late......again hoping there's nothing wrong!

But does it stop me from playing DCS.......no way. I'm loving the Mig-21 and Sabre right now, but again.......waiting on the FPS improvement patch for the former.....lots of waiting going on right now :cry:

If I were you I would jump on to the VA server and jump into one of your favourite modules and enjoy what we have right now, you would have a heap of fun and the abominable wait my go a bit quicker for you :pilotfly:

Here's looking forward to maybe meeting you online sometime in EDGE Nevada :D

System :-

i7-12700K 3.6 GHz 12 core, ASUS ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming, 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200MHz, 24GB Asus ROG Strix Geforce RTX 3090, 1x 500GB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, 1x 2TB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, Corsair 1000W RMx Series Modular 80 Plus Gold PSU, Windows 10. VIRPIL VPC WarBRD Base with HOTAS Warthog Stick and Warthog Throttle, VIRPIL ACE Interceptor Pedals, VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus Base with a Hawk-60 Grip, HP Reverb G2.

Well said Bart. Im going to keep playing and waiting patiently for things to unfold.

I'm running a 3 year old PC with a modest 1gb vid card......and no track IR. The more track IR video I watch the more I feel im missing out on something great.

I had no idea there was a FPS issue with the mig21 or that the huey was tk have a multiplayer crew. Thanks for the info.

Are most people using track IR?

Intel Core i5-4690K Devil's Canyon Quad-Core 3.5GHz (cooler master hyper 212 evo CPU FAN), ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO (Intel LGA 1150) motherboard, 16GB PC2400 DDR3 RAM, ASUS STRIX GTX 970 4GB Video Card, Creative Soundblaster Z Pci-E Sound card, 750W Power supply, MS Force Feedback 2 Joystick, Trackir 5, Logitech Z-5500 5.1 surround sound.

Well said Bart. Im going to keep playing and waiting patiently for things to unfold.

I'm running a 3 year old PC with a modest 1gb vid card......and no track IR. The more track IR video I watch the more I feel im missing out on something great.

I had no idea there was a FPS issue with the mig21 or that the huey was tk have a multiplayer crew. Thanks for the info.

Are most people using track IR?

There are many who use DIY head-tracking with Freetrack or FaceTrackNoIR. You will be surprised how much difference it makes when you use headtracking in this sim.

I can get behind the OP's sentiments but in a different way, I have been waiting for a long, long time for the MiG-21 and while it is indeed finally out, I find that I am waiting on it's first patch since there are some pretty critical bugs that will be squashed in it, until that patch comes out, I am just kinda stuck in a holding pattern where I don't really touch DCS at all.

In the same boat, I like the new features ED and Modders provide and also upted graphics detail with terrain mods, however I dislike the constant low frame rates especially with large battle scenes, but can't live with the standard terrain graphics anymore, also the amount of bugs that get fixed and then reintroduced in later patch versions is disheartening.

As much as I love the DCS franchise, ED will have to be very convincing with their future work to get any more cash out of me. Performance, stability, realistic view and distances are what is required for me.

We all hope that EDGE brings all of this and more, but I fear that it can never live up to our expectations (I hope that I am wrong).

Cheers, Ian

Asus p877v-pro, Intel I7 3770k 4.2ghz, 32gb Ripjaw X ram, Nvidia RTX-2070 Super, Samsung 32" TV, Saitek x52 pro Joystick and Combat rudder pedals, TrackIR 5, Win8.1 x64 with SSD and SSHD protected by (Avast AV).

DCS Tech Support.

I just haven't had the time to play over the last 2 years. With family, work and school, finding the time to play is hard. I can't wait til I do have time because the few times I have played have been fun.

i7-4820k @ 3.7, Windows 7 64-bit, 16GB 1866mhz EVGA GTX 970 2GB, 256GB SSD, 500GB WD, TM Warthog, TM Cougar MFD's, Saitek Combat Pedals, TrackIR 5, G15 keyboard, 55" 4K LED

You are not alone, I feel the same. I hardly fly as much as I used to, whilst waiting for all this new stuff to come out.

RTX 2070 8GB | 32GB DDR4 2666 RAM | AMD Ryzen 5 3600 4.2Ghz | Asrock X570 | CH Fighterstick/Pro Throttle | TM MFDs | TrackIR 5

Same here. Our squadron is very excited about DCS future, but currently we're kinda "disbanded" and are just waiting for new content.

Edited by Slipp

I try to find time, at least an hour every 2-3 days, just to keep greased up. I always want a few more hours but simply cant fit them in.

@ skinnadoor : some sort of track IR is a must, the inmersion is great, i really like to look directly at my objective while i turn to it , it feels natural. Also a plus is that it frees up the trim buttons in the Hotas for...... You guessed... Trimming!

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Tempered Glass, Asus ROG Maximus IX Hero, Intel i7 7700K @ 4.8, Corsair HX 1000i, Nzxt Kraken 62, 32gb DDR4 3000Mhz Corsair Dominator Platinum, Nvme SSD Samsung 960 Evo 1Tb, Asus Strix OC 1080ti, Philips 43" 4K Monitor + 2 x Dell 24" U2414H, Warthog HOTAS, Track IR 5, Obutto R3volution, Buttkicker Gamer 2, MFG Crosswind pedals, Occulus Rift CV1, Windows 10 Pro.

The thrill of going through Novo at door-to-door level in a Huey just cannot be beat. I would not want to do it without TrackIR.

Last night I got into a dogfight with a 104th Very Experienced Pilot on the VA server. If anyone knows me, they'll tell you that Mac just can't dogfight; but my F-15 completely dominated the 104th's AFM in his (new!) Mig 21. At first I tried the famous Scissors (and THAT is what you need head-tracking hardware for) but the 104th would have none of it. We ended up in a turning fight which he lost. (My god, Mac actually was in the saddle against a seasoned pro!)

Of course, this was withOUT Edge. Skinnadoor, you still want to kill time waiting for Christmas?

Things that anyone NOT flying currently are missing (in my opinion): the realism of the A-10c with TM Hotas, TrackIR, and a good three screen set of monitors; a three point landing in a P-51 and, in a fly-by, that incredible Merlin whistle; fun with the radar in the Eagle or the blur of Sochi as I cross runway 06 in a tenth of a second (exaggeration); as I said, the sea-sick inducing treetop flight down the streets of Novorossiysk in a Huey or the delicate kiss of the tarmac as I land there; the consummate challenge of landing the Dora (which I have yet to successfully do); the realism of that J-47 engine in the F-86 as the delayed spool-up gives on taxi; and finally, the pure pleasure of "locking on" in a Russian anti-air missile launcher and taking out 6 or 7 sitting duck Huey's or watching an M1A1 Abrams cruising along the lakeshore and taking out a huge nearby frieghter with one shot.

I don't fly the Black Shark nor the magnificent 8 enough to really understand what I am doing, but I know people who can't live without at least a weekend hour in one of them.

Flying anything in DCS is the most fun you can have with your pants on. Why wait for Edge? Once it does arrive, flying anything in DCS will be the most fun you can have even with your pants off... well, maybe there are some things that might be more fun...

Edited by =Mac=
correct blatant spelling errors

The Hornet is best at killing things on the ground. Now, if we could just get a GAU-8 in the nose next to the AN/APG-65, a titanium tub around the pilot, and a couple of J-58 engines in the tail...

Am I going to have to buy/build a new rig to run 2.0? I know they said that the EDGE engine would be more efficient at rendering but I always take that with a grain of salt. My current rig is 3 years old and runs DCS just fine on all airframes. I hope I can expect the same performance in 2.0. I never mind getting new gear but also like to save money where I can.

Well, I started by the p51d, then bought the a10, ka50 and the two helos... and even fc3, more to support the "cause" :-)

If I know what I now know, that I would never fly the a10 or the ka50, and even less any of the FC3 aircraft, and concentrate mostly on the fw190 and p51d, while I look fwd to the Me109K4, I might have skipped those advanced war machines and save for more ww2 aircraft...

Edited by jcomm

Flight Simulation is the Virtual Materialization of a Dream...

I totally abandoned DCS since almost year I think, waiting for 2.0 to solve and get finally normal graphics, without weird colors and very low FPS.

Reminder: Fighter pilots make movies. Bomber pilots make... HISTORY! :D | Also to be remembered: FRENCH TANKS HAVE ONE GEAR FORWARD AND FIVE BACKWARD :D

ಠ_ಠ

I own all modules and I don't fly anymore, but that's more because I'm too busy with school. I do think I will try harder to make more time once DCS 2.0 is here

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I don't know anything about DCS 2.0, but after being away from the A10c and the KA50, for a while I am struggling back on board and they never cease to amaze me at the detail and accuracy of the simulations.

The Sabre and Fishbed were an eye opener and attracted me back. Now the promise of a WW2 theatre and the WW2 aircraft are a real drew for me. We have lacked a WW2 simulation for ages.....Microsoft I think were the last to do one?

The fact that you have to remain "current" on type is a testament to how good these simulations are. I don't think anyone will surpass the A10c, it was a military simulation project initially I understand and it certainly shows!:)

So I will no doubt try and buy all the new sim offerings (keeping "she who must be obeyed" away from the purchases!) and spend hours, days and weeks honing flying and fighting skills. The satisfaction of becoming a good/great combat pilot is one of the truly great pleasures left in the sim world.

My best wishes to ED for the future and lets have those extra theatres!:pilotfly:

Regards

David

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]i7 Haswell @ 4.6Ghz, Z97p, GTX1080, 32GB DDR3, x3SSD, Win7/64, professional. 32" BenQ, TIR 5, Saitek x55 HOTAS.

Search User Files for "herky" for my uploaded missions. My flight sim videos on You Tube. https://www.youtube.com/user/David Herky

Have you ever tried my shader modifications? alot of it is inspired by what i've seen in EDGE, it will make DCS far more bearable for you :)

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=113374

I will co-sign on this, it's a great mod and makes the game look SO much better.

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

I tried it out... but i'm still stuck at 23 FPS... see my PC description.

Me too. Although I have been hopping in the A-10 a couple hours a week to maintain muscle memory... And so I notice the difference. At the same time I have been waiting for the Hawk too.

My Specs

Asus Maximus Hero IX Z270

i7 7700k @ 4.7GHz

32GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3700MHz DDR4

EVGA RTX 2080Ti

Samsung 960 Evo 1TB M.2 NVME SSD

EVGA SuperNOVA 1200 P2

Acer XB270HU 144Hz @ 1440p (IPS)

Valve Index

OOOOhhh, I wish I had the Alpha of a Hornet!