Upcoming DCS 2.0 - we need to reorg the forums and user files section!

Flagrum

Absolutely not. We are gonna have to reset our calendars in respect to BE (before edge) and AE (after edge) joystick.gif megalol.gif

Althought in a totally different context posted, this got me thinking about some implications when 2.0 will be released...

Somewhere was said, ther ED is preparing a new or reworked web presentation. I don't know if that is intended to go live with 2.0, but there are some aspects that should be addressed - maybe those are already on EDs radar? I just think loud here.

With 2.0 a lot will change. 3rd party devs mentioned that the (lua) code structure of DCS will change, perhaps drastically. This will have some serious implications for community projects (mods) as well.

- old mods will probably need some reworking (changes in directory structure, changes in DCS core logic)

- old mods will probably (hopefully?) become obsolete (enhancements might be included in DCS out-of-the-box)

If these implications will be about as drastic as I imagine them, it would make sense in my eyes to make a cut. A new beginning. Start over with:

- sub-forums that are only relevant for pre 2.0 topics (bug forums? but also mod forums and similar sub-forums) should be moved and replaced with new and fresh ones for 2.0. Keep the old ones, put them in away in a separate forum section ("pre 2.0") and make them read-only.

- User files at the ED website. Similar idea here: move all mods and stuff out that is obviously not relevant or compatible with 2.0 (but keep docs, liveries, etc.). Or if that is easier: close that User Files section and make it completely read-only. Then provide a new User Files section for new, 2.0 compatible stuff.

I fear, if something like that is not done, we will end up in a huuuuge mess of outdated and irrelevant postings in the forums and same for mods in the User Files. It is even today not easy to determine what is relevant for which patch level of DCS ... (perhaps that should also be an mandatory tag when uploading stuff in the User Files section?)

I fear, if something like that is not done, we will end up in a huuuuge mess of outdated and irrelevant postings in the forums and same for mods in the User Files. It is even today not easy to determine what is relevant for which patch level of DCS ... (perhaps that should also be an mandatory tag when uploading stuff in the User Files section?)

You mean we will end up with a slightly bigger mess than we already have. Both the forum and user files can only be fixed by completely reorganizing both and that is a manpower intensive effort that is never going to happen. The didn't do it when DCS World came out so...

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Maybe DCS 2.0 will be enough reason to change this forum theme to something better....

Reminder: Fighter pilots make movies. Bomber pilots make... HISTORY! :D | Also to be remembered: FRENCH TANKS HAVE ONE GEAR FORWARD AND FIVE BACKWARD :D

ಠ_ಠ

You mean we will end up with a slightly bigger mess than we already have. Both the forum and user files can only be fixed by completely reorganizing both and that is a manpower intensive effort that is never going to happen. The didn't do it when DCS World came out so...

Reorganizing might be very labour intensive, yes. But moving out the relevant parts (complete sub-forums, the comlete User Files section) and replacing them with new, empty ones might be easier ...

Reorganizing might be very labour intensive, yes. But moving out the relevant parts (complete sub-forums, the comlete User Files section) and replacing them with new, empty ones might be easier ...

Except all of that pre-2.0 stuff is liable to be very important for anyone with Win Vista or a non-DX11 video card since they won't be able to run v2.0.

Remember, there are still people out there using FC2, BS1 and standalone A-10.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Except all of that pre-2.0 stuff is liable to be very important for anyone with Win Vista or a non-DX11 video card since they won't be able to run v2.0.

Remember, there are still people out there using FC2, BS1 and standalone A-10.

That's why I suggest to move it to somewhere else, as read-only. Not to actually delete it.

That's why I suggest to move it to somewhere else, as read-only. Not to actually delete it.

So where would those people ask questions?

So where would those people ask questions?

In the wrong forums .... like today. :D

Aww, I am only making suggestions, I am not here to provide solutions! ;P

All I want is that there is a distiction between the older and the new stuff - to reduce the otherwise surely upcoming mess. Leave the old stuff open if you must, but make it absolutely clear what it is about. Put it into a complete separate forum (two "forum" links in the page header?) and/or organize the sub-forums better (better distinction, other colours perhaps?).

Edited by Flagrum

In the wrong forums .... like today. :D

Aww, I am only making suggestions, I am not here to provide solutions! ;P

All I want is that there is a distiction between the older and the new stuff - to reduce the surely upcoming mess otherwise.

I generally agree and would really like to see better organization and standardization along with some other changes. I just hold little hope for it happening in a beneficial time frame.

And hopefully they can finally update the forum software to the newest version. This is the oldest vBulletin board I have seen anywhere.

WHISPR | Intel I7 5930K | Nvidia GTX980 4GB GDDR5 | 16GB DDR4 | Intel 730 series 512GB SSD | Thrustmaster WARTHOG | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR4 pro |

|A-10C|BS2 |CA|P-51 MUSTANG|UH-1H HUEY|MI-8 MTV2 |FC3|F5E|M2000C|AJS-37|FW190|BF 109K|Mig21|A-10:SSC,EWC|L-39|NEVADA|

See at the top there where it says forum next to that su27 in the starry sky. there should just be another tab right next to it that says dcs.2.0 forum

below is off topic somewhat

Speaking of that...how long has it been since they changed the pic? Can't remember the last one, (that is if there was another one), but I think it could be nice if we could get a monthly change of the picture, a-la LOF. :)

If you want to talk to anyone about anything personal, send it to their PM box. Interpersonal drama and ad hominem rebuttal are things that do not belong on a thread viewed by the public.

One thing i have to point out... naming a thread.. "OK, so" is as useful as tits on a bull.

Maybe I am asking this in the wrong place, but will 2.0 be an entirely new series? I.E Will we all be buying the modules like A-10C and FC3 again, I sure hope not. Maybe I am just being paranoid.

Motherboard ASUSTek TUF Z390-PLUS GAMING (WI-FI)

Processor Intel i5 9400

Memory VENGENCE PRO RGB 32GB

Video Card # 1 GIGABYTE NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX1660 6GB GDDR6

Power Supply Thermaltake GOLD 850 RGB

Sound Card NVIDIA HIGH DEFINITION AUDIO

Monitor 1. Vizio 32" 2. Samsung 32" 3. Samsung 32"

Operating System Windows 10 64 Bit build 19035.1

Maybe I am asking this in the wrong place, but will 2.0 be an entirely new series?

No.

Maybe I am just being paranoid.

Yes. ;)

EDIT: Oh, yes, this is the wrong place. :smilewink:

No.

Yes. ;)

EDIT: Oh, yes, this is the wrong place. :smilewink:

Roger that

Motherboard ASUSTek TUF Z390-PLUS GAMING (WI-FI)

Processor Intel i5 9400

Memory VENGENCE PRO RGB 32GB

Video Card # 1 GIGABYTE NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX1660 6GB GDDR6

Power Supply Thermaltake GOLD 850 RGB

Sound Card NVIDIA HIGH DEFINITION AUDIO

Monitor 1. Vizio 32" 2. Samsung 32" 3. Samsung 32"

Operating System Windows 10 64 Bit build 19035.1

Now that I think about it, with so many people thinking about upgrading their PCs for EDGE, with the right investments perhaps ED could make some extra money from DCS 2.0. :D

Now that I think about it, with so many people thinking about upgrading their PCs for EDGE, with the right investments perhaps ED could make some extra money from DCS 2.0. :D

Well theres a thought, a "DCS Flight Sim Hardware Outlet"...........:noexpression: They could maybe name it, "Leading EDGE"......"On the Edge"......."the Razors Edge"......"The Edge of Insanity"....................

Regards

DL available skins here:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/?CREATED_BY=Strut

Pictures of my Skins here: https://imgur.com/a/bOQyQqW

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Win10 64bit, Intel® Core i7-5820K CPU OC @ 4.50GHz x6, X99A GAMING PRO CARBON, MSI RTX 2080 TI GAMING X TRIO 11Gb, 32GB DDR4 RAM, SSD 960 EVO250GB, SSD 850 EVO 500GB, JetSeat, MFG Crosswind Pedals, VPC Mongoose T-50, TMWH, DSD ButtonBox, Pimax 5k XR/BE

Well theres a thought, a "DCS Flight Sim Hardware Outlet"...........:noexpression: They could maybe name it, "Leading EDGE"......"On the Edge"......."the Razors Edge"......"The Edge of Insanity"....................

@Cich - this was tongue in cheek mate, was only humour...........:D

Regards

DL available skins here:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/?CREATED_BY=Strut

Pictures of my Skins here: https://imgur.com/a/bOQyQqW

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Win10 64bit, Intel® Core i7-5820K CPU OC @ 4.50GHz x6, X99A GAMING PRO CARBON, MSI RTX 2080 TI GAMING X TRIO 11Gb, 32GB DDR4 RAM, SSD 960 EVO250GB, SSD 850 EVO 500GB, JetSeat, MFG Crosswind Pedals, VPC Mongoose T-50, TMWH, DSD ButtonBox, Pimax 5k XR/BE