Is this project still being developed?

Fangio

I have been following this for some time and read some about the big upheaval and team change last year but I cannot find any kind of developer updates or status updates at all anywhere.

Based on what I can find here, there are a lot of folks playing this game and enjoying it and there is plenty of hope relative to future development but there is no evidence that any ongoing development effort is taking place at all.

No dev updates.... no screenshots... no videos... nothing. Supposedly a WW2 map with a new graphics engine EDGE is being developed but I cannot find anything from any actual developers about this anywhere that is not close to a year old.

If there is any actual evidence that any actual development is taking place, please share. I do not want to lay out a bunch of $$$ to buy a new gaming PC spec'd out for a game that is not actually being developed any longer.

Thanks!

Fangio

• ED Team

Info is on these forums, not specifically only in this section, but mixed in with other updates. We just got the Bf 109K-4 a short time ago, news on P-47 and the Spitfire, as well we have see updates on EDGE. We know that the map is currently queued up behind Nevada and SoH as well.

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

Fangio,

Yes, it is still under active development with a very knowledgeable and responsive team of folks working on it.

The cockpit immersion and physics are well above anything else I have seen in the genre.

Each of the aircraft is a "game unto itself" and requires a considerable learning curve.

It is well worth it now and things will only get better.

Answers to most important questions ATC can ask that every pilot should memorize:

1. No, I do not have a pen. 2. Indicating 250

Welcome to the forums, you might try the official updates section of the forum - for example here's an update from last month (Feb 2015) including info on DCS 2.0, the P-47 and the Spitfire IX:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=139694

My PC specs: Win10 64 Pro, CPU i7-3820 4.4GHz, 16GB RAM, GPU Nvidia 1070 (8gb vram).

Controls: Microsoft FFB2, Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle, MFG Crosswind Pedals, TrackIR5.
My DCS Youtube Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/No64Bounder

I don't think the OP had trolling in mind. For people who are not up do date with these forums it is difficult to understand the mix of this project with several third party developers.

Some weeks ago there was a report in a famous german gaming magazin about a statistics loving member of NeoGAF forums who made a risk analysis of 185 successfully founded kickstarter projects. According to the development state he came to the conclusion that 10 of them have no chance to get finished. DCS WW2 is one of them.

http://www.gamestar.de/news/vermischtes/3083199/kickstarter.html

That's not my opinion btw...

Maybe a little more PR work regarding gaming magazines could clear these misunderstandings...

EDIT: Here is his original document in english: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1lFW2sjShHriYRsyuVZx4Se8Qxjw38VJk4g-7cls8cpg/htmlview?usp=sheets_home&sle=true

Edited by FSKRipper

i9 9900K @ 5,0GHz | 1080GTX | 32GB RAM | 256GB, 512GB & 1TB Samsung SSDs | TIR5 w/ Track Clip | Virpil T-50 Stick with extension + Warthog Throttle | MFG Crosswind pedals | Gametrix 908 Jetseat

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The article is correct. The Kickstarter for DCS WWII: Europe 1944 crashed and burned a long time ago. It was a failure.

ED's re-formulation is not the same. I'm not complaining about it. I'm very happy ED picked up the pieces and are even honoring some of the rewards.

The OP may be one of the many people that backed the project but don't read this forum. They rely on Kickstarter updates. For them there has been no update for a very long time.

Edited by Paganus

The article is correct. The Kickstarter for DCS WWII: Europe 1944 crashed and burned a long time ago. It was a failure.

ED's re-formulation is not the same. I'm not complaining about it. I'm very happy ED picked up the pieces and are even honoring some of the rewards.

The OP may be one of the many people that backed the project but don't read this forum. They rely on Kickstarter updates. For them there has been no update for a very long time.

Thanks for clearing that up. My last info was that there is some kind of teamwork by 1C maddox and ED but that info is very old. Maybe one problem to the public is the same project name...

A big trailsign on kickstarter could lead these poor backers to this forum!? :music_whistling:

Edited by FSKRipper

i9 9900K @ 5,0GHz | 1080GTX | 32GB RAM | 256GB, 512GB & 1TB Samsung SSDs | TIR5 w/ Track Clip | Virpil T-50 Stick with extension + Warthog Throttle | MFG Crosswind pedals | Gametrix 908 Jetseat

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry for such a slow reply, life got busy!

I was not in the kickstarter. I was massively into online flight sims like air warrior and warbirds back in the latter 1990s and was looking around at the state of the WW2 flight sim market thinking of getting back into it. The oculus rift is very intriguing. The market seems a mess. Is Aces High still the best thing online? DCS seems great but no persistent online world with a war going on is weak. Aces High seems the same as over a decade ago.

I dream of a super realistic virtual reality high fidelity true simulation that lets WW2 get re-fought without the politics, death and destruction. I mean really, whats better than war without all the unfun bits and consequences?

• Like 1

I dream of a super realistic virtual reality high fidelity true simulation that lets WW2 get re-fought without the politics, death and destruction. I mean really, whats better than war without all the unfun bits and consequences?

This is likely what most of us WWII prop sim enthusiasts dream about. :D

To date DCS covers the "super realistic virtual reality high fidelity true simulation" aspect of it ... and I'm putting a LOT of effort into sending out clandestine positive vibes to ED for the rest of the dream.

I find I spend most of my time flying DCS .. dreaming of a bright future .. play some more of DCS ... rinse .. repeat. I occasionally fly IL2CoD patched to latest FT .. but DCS really has the beef when it comes to the pilot experience with the airplane. There're a few online server's for WWII .. DoW and JG27 Fighting Legends are the 2 I know (both groups are a bunch of REALLY decent people) .. unfortunately my ping to both servers is pretty crappy ... so back to CoD for that occasional fix.

Good luck on the search .. but make sure you stay with DCS so that they'll eventually respond dramatically to the market forces of critical mass!

Cheers!

Edited by Teapot

"A true 'sandbox flight sim' requires hi-fidelity flyable non-combat utility/support aircraft."

Wishlist Terrains - Bigger maps

Wishlist Modules - A variety of utility aircraft to better reflect the support role. E.g. Flying the Hornet ... big yawn ... flying a Caribou on a beer run to Singapore? Count me in. Extracting a Recon Patrol from a hastily prepared landing strip at a random 6 figure grid reference? Now yer talking!

I think you pretty much nailed the current DCS WW2 experience Teapot...fly, dream of what will be coming our way soon, fly some more , dream some more, a little bit of Cliffs of Dover, then back to DCS.

It is going to be incredible when we get the Spitfire and the Normandy map, WW2 flight simming will never be the same again. :thumbup:

• 2 weeks later...

They're right to ask questions though. There was no sign of progress with DCS ww2 in the most recent update. It was all about Nevada - of which I could no tangible signs of progress.

Just saying ...

Yes, unfortunately it seems as if there will be major delays in the Normandy map.

It is supposed to be released after Straight of Hormuz (which will be after Nevada). We are definitely looking into 2016 (and this is hopeful).

The three best things in life are a good landing, a good orgasm, and a good bowel movement. The night carrier landing is one of the few opportunities in life to experience all three at the same time.

It's all just right over the horizon! I think once this project is out and full fledged everyone is going to be really satisfied with it. :)

Agreed. ED seem to have chosen to release larger chunks of work together and only after extensive testing, so this leads to better quality, but longer delays.

The three best things in life are a good landing, a good orgasm, and a good bowel movement. The night carrier landing is one of the few opportunities in life to experience all three at the same time.

Could you pls tell us where you read that?

I don't mean to sound pessimistic, but everything we 've seen up to now points to this direction, at least according to my interpretation.

We still have 7 months up to the end of 2015 and we are waiting for the release of NTTR and EDGE. After that, we expect to see Straights of Hormuz, which according to the latest newsletter, is far from complete.

In my view this means at least 6 more months.

Unless there is a different team that has been working on Normandy in parallel to the other maps -which we have not been told of-, all these mean that Normandy is to be released in 2016. I 'd put Q1-Q2 2016 as an optimistic scenario and Q3-Q4 2016 as pessimistic.

I 'd like to be proven wrong btw

EDIT : according to DCS September 2014 newletter :

"The other major element of DCS World War II: Europe 1944 is of course the new Normandy map. The team is currently working on a new combat theater map to support DCS: F/A-18C Hornet, but once complete, will be returning to this map. At that time, we should be able to start sharing images of the new era map, complete with period ground units."

Edited by airdoc