Improved Towns & Villages Mod

Updated the first post again with new SweetFX screenshots and all known released terrains sets + my Villages + Rocky's DTAC Trees

Hi

I was looking at the screenshots last night and now they all look different to how I recall. For instance, the second set, with just your villages mod, the ground looks darker/darker green and the texture of the ground looks rather different, when I don't think it did before and the Foxbeard screenshots were a very bright/vivid green which I didn't really like and now they're not, in fact the Toby23's screenshots have a more vivid green now.

I note you say you've updated with new SweetFX screenshots, so I'm wondering if you used the same settings for all of them, as otherwise it's a bit hard to tell which I prefer as I'm not sure if I'm judging the mod or the SFX settings. In fact, maybe it's best to not use SFX at all for comparison screenshots, as one lot of settings might not suit all the mods equally and it's probably quite subjective what people prefer anyway?

Main rig: i5-4670k @4.4Ghz, Asus Z97-A, Scythe Kotetsu HSF, 32GB Kingston Savage 2400Mhz DDR3, 1070ti, Win 10 x64, Samsung Evo 256GB SSD (OS & Data), OCZ 480GB SSD (Games), WD 2TB and WD 3TB HDDs, 1920x1200 Dell U2412M, 1920x1080 Dell P2314T touchscreen

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi

I was looking at the screenshots last night and now they all look different to how I recall. For instance, the second set, with just your villages mod, the ground looks darker/darker green and the texture of the ground looks rather different, when I don't think it did before and the Foxbeard screenshots were a very bright/vivid green which I didn't really like and now they're not, in fact the Toby23's screenshots have a more vivid green now.

I note you say you've updated with new SweetFX screenshots, so I'm wondering if you used the same settings for all of them, as otherwise it's a bit hard to tell which I prefer as I'm not sure if I'm judging the mod or the SFX settings. In fact, maybe it's best to not use SFX at all for comparison screenshots, as one lot of settings might not suit all the mods equally and it's probably quite subjective what people prefer anyway?

Compare away... ALL of the screenshots currently in the first post have been taken today at exactly the same in game time, with exactly the same visual enhancement mods (such as PeterP's HDR, Mustangs Clouds and Diveplane's shadows), using the same SweetFX 1.4 settings (PeterP's). Last night, the only shots shown with SweetFX were those of Foxbeard's version of the DTAC terrain.

Edited by Highwayman-Ed

Intel i9-9900KF @5.2GHz

MSI Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon

32GB G.Skill Trident Z DDR3200 RAM

MSI RTX 2080 Ti Gaming X Trio

40" Panasonic TH-40DX600U @ 4K

Pimax Vision 8K Plus / Oculus Rift CV1 / HTC Vive

Gametrix JetSeat with SimShaker

Windows 10 64 Bit Home Edition

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Compare away... ALL of the screenshots currently in the first post have been taken today at exactly the same in game time, with exactly the same visual enhancement mods (such as PeterP's HDR, Mustangs Clouds and Diveplane's shadows), using the same SweetFX 1.4 settings (PeterP's). Last night, the only shots shown with SweetFX were those of Foxbeard's version of the DTAC terrain.

OK, thanks.

• Like 1

Main rig: i5-4670k @4.4Ghz, Asus Z97-A, Scythe Kotetsu HSF, 32GB Kingston Savage 2400Mhz DDR3, 1070ti, Win 10 x64, Samsung Evo 256GB SSD (OS & Data), OCZ 480GB SSD (Games), WD 2TB and WD 3TB HDDs, 1920x1200 Dell U2412M, 1920x1080 Dell P2314T touchscreen

Seriously, the simple fact that you put everyone's terrain mods together so we can compare them easily is an accomplishment in and of itself, but your towns and villages mod also removes those "texture level gaps" that keep towns from looking like normal terrain.

Well done sir.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Highway-Ed

I hope you can make these mods compatible with EDGE-Black sea map when its released (specifically the one post 60). While Edge looks to be great the stock villages and low res terrain make my eyes bleed a little in the screenshots posted by Wags.

Edited by ///Rage

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

64th "Scorpions" Aggressor Squadron

Discord: 64th Aggressor Squadron

TS: 195.201.110.22

Highway-Ed

I hope you can make these mods compatible with EDGE-Black sea map when its released (specifically the one post 60). While Edge looks to be great the stock villages and low res terrain make my eyes bleed a little in the screenshots posted by Wags.

From what I understand, these MOD's should work exactly the same in the EDGE engine as I believe that the Gerogian Map is being imported in its current state without any upgrades or modifications, thus it is still a simple case of texture replacement as we have now.

Bumb! Any new projects or updates? lets get rid rest of city textures :)

Sorry to say, no. I have given up on the city tiles as there is absolutely no sense in the way that they are overlapped in some places on the map and I really don't like trying to make them look good. :(

Intel i9-9900KF @5.2GHz

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

From what I understand, these MOD's should work exactly the same in the EDGE engine as I believe that the Gerogian Map is being imported in its current state without any upgrades or modifications, thus it is still a simple case of texture replacement as we have now.

Sorry to say, no. I have given up on the city tiles as there is absolutely no sense in the way that they are overlapped in some places on the map and I really don't like trying to make them look good. :(

What about if you just use somekind of grass color for them ? or simple grey tarmac etc.. ? :)

Oculus CV1, Odyssey, Pimax 5k+ (i5 8400, 24gb ddr4 3000mhz, 1080Ti OC )

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

What about if you just use somekind of grass color for them ? or simple grey tarmac etc.. ? :)

I tried that and the city's looked crap I'm afraid, even worse than normal... If you want to do it yourself, replace the textures town_1 , 2 and 3 with a transparent texture, but that also means that the city lights wont show on the ground at night...

Right so which ground texture pack is the most refined?

Depends on what you like to fly.

If you stay below 2,000 ft typically or fly rotary wing primarily, go for my complete pack

If you fly fixed wing, I prefer the mix with Foxbeard's terrain and Rocky's Trees - Removed

If you fly both, get both and swap them out with JSGME when you need to! ;)

Is this compatible with 1.2.8 u1?

These packs will be compatible with ANY release prior to EDGE, and even then nothing should change as far as textures go with the Georgian map, so it should continue to work then.

Edited by Highwayman-Ed

Intel i9-9900KF @5.2GHz

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 1 month later...

Hi.

"Your complete pack" link removed?

Intel i7-14700@5.6GHz | MSI RTX4080 Super SuprimX | Corsair V. 32GB@6400MHz. | Samsung 1TB 990 PRO SSD (Win10Homex64)
Samsung G5 32" + Samsung 18" + 2x8"TFT Displays | Saitek X-55 Rhino & Rudder | TM MFD Cougars | Logitech G13, G230, G510, PZ55 & Farming Sim Panel | TIR5
>>MY MODS<< | Discord: Devrim#1068

• 2 weeks later...

@Highwayman-Ed, or Anybody. Hello . I really like Toby23's Enhanced Terrain in the op spoiler pictures, I will try to achieve just that. Are you using Sweetfx? If you are, do you mind sharing your settings? I'm using this http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/585372/ setting. I have a split screen I cant removed. I have tried subs 1 with 0 on the #use split screen effect on the sweetfx settings but it did not work.

I'm thinking it may be outdated. Once again I would be happy if I can get those graphics in my game. Thank You. :helpsmilie:

Edited by Thunderchiff

Specs: i7-4790K @4.00 ghz, EVGA 2080ti , 16GB ram, Samsung 512GB SSD x2.

Gear: Virpil Alpha stick with Mongoos T-50CM2 throttle, Combat-Pro flight pedals, Track ir 5 & Reverb G2

Немој ништа силом, узми већи чекић!

MSI Tomahawk MAX | Ryzen 7 3700x | 32GB DDR4 3200MHz | RX 5700 XT OC Red Dragon 8GB | VPC Throttle CM3 + VPC Constellation ALPHA on VPC WarBRD Base | HP Reverb G2

Youtube Follow Me on TWITCH! 

Hello,

I use "Highways Villages Mod II" + "DCSEnhancedTerrain-LowlndSlow-v1-2" with DCS V1.2.9 and no problems.

Please can you tell me if your Mod work fine with V-1.2.9 ?

Thanks in advance, Skull.

Intel i9-9900KF @5.2GHz

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

To disable splitscreen you need only this:

#define USE_SPLITSCREEN   [color=red]0[/color] //[0 or 1]

Double check your DCS World/bin folder and search for SweetFX_settings.txt file. Check your admin rights too before edit file.

Yes I have tried that and its not working for me. Take a look..

Game:

Author:

SweetFX version: 1.5.1

Description:

Please note when tweaking settings that higher numbers does not always equal better (nor does lower).

Finding the best settings for your game and your taste is about finding just the right amount to apply.

If you made a good setttings preset please share it with your friends, on forums and websites,

and/or submit it to the SweetFX Settings Database : http://sfx.thelazy.net/games/

This description field and the above Game and Author fields are here so you can fill in your own details for the presets you create.

Just delete this description and fill in your own and then share it with the world.

Hope you enjoy my mod.

- CeeJay.dk

S3TUP

/*-----------------------------------------------------------.

/ Choose effects /

'-----------------------------------------------------------*/

// Set to 1 for ON or 0 for OFF

#define USE_SMAA_ANTIALIASING 0 //[0 or 1] SMAA Anti-aliasing : Smoothens jagged lines using the SMAA technique.

#define USE_FXAA_ANTIALIASING 1 //[0 or 1] FXAA Anti-aliasing : Smoothens jagged lines using the FXAA technique. WIP - Currently only works in DX9 and you need to use the FXAA injector dlls.

#define USE_EXPLOSION 0 //[0 or 1] Explosion : Scatters the pixels, making the image look fuzzy.

#define USE_CARTOON 0 //[0 or 1] Cartoon : "Toon"s the image. (Interferes with SMAA, CRT, Bloom, HDR and Lumasharpen)

#define USE_ADVANCED_CRT 0 //[0 or 1] Advanced CRT : Simulates an old CRT TV display. (Interferes with SMAA, Cartoon, Bloom, HDR and Lumasharpen, and it has a very high performance cost)

#define USE_BLOOM 0 //[0 or 1] Bloom : Makes bright lights bleed their light into their surroundings (relatively high performance cost)

#define USE_HDR 0 //[0 or 1] HDR : Not actual HDR - It just tries to mimic an HDR look (relatively high performance cost)

#define USE_LUMASHARPEN 1 //[0 or 1] LumaSharpen : Also sharpens the antialiased edges which makes them less smooth - I'm working on fixing that.

#define USE_LEVELS 0 //[0 or 1] Levels : Sets a new black and white point. This increases contrast but causes clipping. Use Curves instead if you want to avoid that.

#define USE_TECHNICOLOR 0 //[0 or 1] TECHNICOLOR : Attempts to mimic the look of an old movie using the Technicolor three-strip color process (Techicolor Process 4)

#define USE_DPX 0 //[0 or 1] Cineon DPX : Should make the image look like it's been converted to DXP Cineon - basically it's another movie-like look similar to technicolor.

#define USE_MONOCHROME 0 //[0 or 1] Monochrome : Monochrome makes the colors disappear.

#define USE_LIFTGAMMAGAIN 0 //[0 or 1] Lift Gamma Gain : Adjust brightness and color of shadows, midtones and highlights

#define USE_TONEMAP 0 //[0 or 1] Tonemap : Adjust gamma, exposure, saturation, bleach and defog. (may cause clipping)

#define USE_VIBRANCE 1 //[0 or 1] Vibrance : Intelligently saturates (or desaturates if you use negative values) the pixels depending on their original saturation.

#define USE_CURVES 1 //[0 or 1] Curves : Contrast adjustments using S-curves.

#define USE_SEPIA 0 //[0 or 1] Sepia : Sepia tones the image.

#define USE_VIGNETTE 0 //[0 or 1] Vignette : Darkens the edges of the image to make it look more like it was shot with a camera lens. May cause banding artifacts.

#define USE_DITHER 0 //[0 or 1] Dither : Applies dithering to simulate more colors than your monitor can display. This lessens banding artifacts (mostly caused by Vignette)

#define USE_BORDER 0 //[0 or 1] Border : Makes the screenedge black as a workaround for the bright edge that forcing some AA modes sometimes causes.

#define USE_SPLITSCREEN 0 //[0 or 1] Splitscreen : Enables the before-and-after splitscreen comparison mode.

Specs: i7-4790K @4.00 ghz, EVGA 2080ti , 16GB ram, Samsung 512GB SSD x2.

Gear: Virpil Alpha stick with Mongoos T-50CM2 throttle, Combat-Pro flight pedals, Track ir 5 & Reverb G2

Thunderchiff

Check here or we can help you here about SweetFX: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=97626

Edited by Falcon_S
  • Like 1

Немој ништа силом, узми већи чекић!

MSI Tomahawk MAX | Ryzen 7 3700x | 32GB DDR4 3200MHz | RX 5700 XT OC Red Dragon 8GB | VPC Throttle CM3 + VPC Constellation ALPHA on VPC WarBRD Base | HP Reverb G2

Youtube Follow Me on TWITCH! 

Thunderchiff, please find my Sweetfx settings for version 1.51 attached

SweetFX_settings.txt

Intel i9-9900KF @5.2GHz

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 4 weeks later...
All files, links and screenshots updated, all taken with Diveplane's Shadows, Mustang's Clouds, PeterP's HDR and SweetFX 1.4 with PeterP's settings in Spring.

Thanks a whole lot for all contributors in making these!

I finally decided to give it a try and what a difference.. :shocking:

The "strecthed" look of textures is gone and visual estimatation of altitude is much improved. Now low-level flying is actually possible without crashing instantly, there is so much more visual "depth" on the ground.

Also my loading times seem to be hugely improved since repacking those zips with reduced level of compression in them.

It might be worth to implement in DCS installer to repackage all textures after installing DCS..?

Or leave them completely uncompressed if the engine supports it? (That is, if there is enough space in the harddrive to leave them uncompressed..)

Anyway, thanks a bunch, eager to see how it will look like in EDGE.. :thumbup:

"I would have written a shorter post, but I did not have the time."

No need to compress. I would recommend to use JSGME to manage the modded textures, else every update 're-downloads the textures! And even the zips are quite big ...

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)