Adding a skin, im stuck.

Hrvat-Pilot

Hello everyone!

I am in the process of making a Croatia mod for LOMAC, and I have added the country so far, but am now working on new skins. I started with the Hind (as there are other people working on other planes). My problem is that I do not know what to do next with putting the skin into the game. It is 6:00 in the morning here and I have been struggling with this all night, and I have to get to sleep, a lot to do tomorrow, so forgive me for the fact that I am simply going to copy the exact same message I posted on lockonfiles.com.

-----

I just finished a Hind repaint that turned out very good, IMO. Only problem is that I don't know how to put it in the game. I generated the CDDS file, and then put the entry in the graphics.cfg... and now i'm stuck, I have no idea what to do next.

I do not know how to specificy to the game that I want Croatia to use this specific CDDS or this specific Hind repaint. What's next? I tried looking through the MEInit.xml but to little avail. I figured out that for each texture, there is a different CLSID and a name, and for now the Croatia Hind only has Standard as one of its textures. Only problem is, I have no idea how to specificy that I want this specific new CDDS to be used. I tried searching the CLSID everywhere, but it came up nowhere else, so I have no idea where the game is getting its information for which files to use for which countries/repaints.

I would appreciate some help, I have no idea what comes next.

This is where I am right now:

I have MI24-Croatia.cdds in the Bazar/World/ folder. I added the entry into the graphics.cfg as follows-

TextureCollections

{

highFolder = ".\\Bazar\\TempTextures\\";

Collection1 = ".\\Bazar\\Terrain\\Surface\\High\\LandTexturesBMP.cdds";

Collection1 = ".\\Bazar\\Terrain\\Surface\\High\\LandTexturesTGA.cdds";

summer = ".\\Bazar\\Terrain\\Surface\\High\\LandTexturesSumBMP.cdds";

summer = ".\\Bazar\\Terrain\\Surface\\High\\LandTexturesSumTGA.cdds";

winter = ".\\Bazar\\Terrain\\Surface\\High\\LandTexturesWinBMP.cdds";

winter = ".\\Bazar\\Terrain\\Surface\\High\\LandTexturesWinTGA.cdds";

Collection2 = ".\\Bazar\\Terrain\\Surface\\High\\MapTexturesBMP.cdds";

Collection3 = ".\\Bazar\\Effects\\EffectTexturesTGA.cdds";

common = ".\\Bazar\\World\\MI24-Croatia.cdds";

Collection4 = ".\\Bazar\\World\\WorldTexturesTGA.cdds";

Collection5 = ".\\Bazar\\World\\WorldTexturesBMP.cdds";

Collection11 = ".\\Bazar\\World\\WorldTexturesBMP1.cdds";

Collection6 = ".\\Bazar\\World\\ShipTexturesBMP.cdds";

Collection7 = ".\\Bazar\\World\\ShipTexturesTGA.cdds";

Collection8 = ".\\Bazar\\World\\CockpitsTexturesBMP.cdds";

Collection9 = ".\\Bazar\\World\\CockpitsTexturesTGA.cdds";

Collection10 = ".\\Bazar\\Effects\\effects.cdds";

Other than that, I have not done anything. I have not touched these files with modman, I haven't added anything new to MEInit.xml or any other files for that matter.

Basically, all I want to do is make it so that whenever a Hind is generated in game under Croatian nationality, I want it to use my skin. The key thing here is that I do NOT want to overwrite any skins. I would have been long past this step if overwriting wasn't an issue, but it is, and I do not want to overwrite anything.

So, if any skinners out there know what comes next, please, let me know!!

Thanks a lot! Any and all help is much appreciated!

-----

Sorry but not possible.

The number of colourschemes supported is determined entirely by the 3D model.

For the old *.cmd format this is assigned inside the 3D model and therefore comes with a finite number of slots that cannot be expanded upon - as far as I remember, there is only one colourscheme slot assigned in the "Mi-24W.cmd".

The entries in the meinit concerning colourschemes are just refering to this configuration in the 3D model.

It is only possible to expand on the number of colourschemes for models in *.lom format, where an extra slot can be assigned outside of the 3D model via an associated *.skins text file.

- JJ.

JJ

Sorry but not possible.

The number of colourschemes supported is determined entirely by the 3D model.

For the old *.cmd format this is assigned inside the 3D model and therefore comes with a finite number of slots that cannot be expanded upon - as far as I remember, there is only one colourscheme slot assigned in the "Mi-24W.cmd".

The entries in the meinit concerning colourschemes are just refering to this configuration in the 3D model.

It is only possible to expand on the number of colourschemes for models in *.lom format, where an extra slot can be assigned outside of the 3D model via an associated *.skins text file.

- JJ.

One question though .. How would you generate the meinit.xml CLSID number for the new slot you created in the associated .skin file?

Thx

Cozmo.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Minimum effort, maximum satisfaction.

CDDS Tutorial Version 3. | Main Screen Mods.

One question though .. How would you generate the meinit.xml CLSID number for the new slot you created in the associated .skin file?

Thx

Not a problem - there are utilities for generating new CLSIDs :) .

Early on I wasn't aware of this, so what I did was to use Lock-on for the purpose - I built a mission with a custom payload and saved it....then I went into the "Mecustoms.xml" where such payloads are saved with a new CLSID, cut out the payload and used the generated CLSID for something else :D .

Cheers,

- JJ.

JJ

Okay, where is this generator? I checked a couple sites I figured would, but no joy..

LOMAC Section| | Gaming Resume (PDF) | Gallery | Flanker2.51 Storage Site |

Also known as Flanker562 back in the day...

Steam ID EricJ562 | DCS: A-10A/C Pilot | DCS: Su-25T Pilot | Texture Artist

"...parade ground soldiers always felt that way (contempt) about killers in uniform." -Counting The Cost, Hammer's Slammers

Not a problem - there are utilities for generating new CLSIDs :) .

Early on I wasn't aware of this, so what I did was to use Lock-on for the purpose - I built a mission with a custom payload and saved it....then I went into the "Mecustoms.xml" where such payloads are saved with a new CLSID, cut out the payload and used the generated CLSID for something else :D .

Cheers,

- JJ.

You're a genius :thumbup: :thumbup: :D :D .. I'll try that and see if I can get it to work.

Cozmo.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Well that's very dissapointing news to hear. I guess I will have to overwrite the Hind skins then... very dissapointing.

Is there some way I can make my own .LOM model or anything to add non-overwriting skins? I have decent modeling skill so I could do that as well... any ideas?

Honestly, if there is ANY way to do what I want to do, I don't care how far out you have to reach, please let me know, it is very important to me to not overwrite anything. So even if I have to go buy some random software and make some random files or ANYTHING.. please let me know.

But for now, I guess I will overwrite some so I can at least test the skins and have a little bit of fun.

Thanks a lot for the replies! :thumbup:

Thanks! and the only question is, will the Lockon.exe recognize it? or I just copy and paste the new CLSID in the MEinit.xml and be good to go?

"...parade ground soldiers always felt that way (contempt) about killers in uniform." -Counting The Cost, Hammer's Slammers

You're a genius :thumbup: :thumbup: :D :D .. I'll try that and see if I can get it to work.

LOL...well it is a bit of a "cowboy job" and it can be a little difficult to find and see exactly what you need to cut out of the Mecustom.xml....if you make a mistake(or forget to altogether), the sim will crash :) .

It is much easier(and safer) to just use the generator utility I uploaded - I just didn't know it existed when I came up with the above procedure :D .

Cheers,

- JJ.

JJ

Thanks! and the only question is, will the Lockon.exe recognize it? or I just copy and paste the new CLSID in the MEinit.xml and be good to go?

When you click the "Copy" button in the GUIDgen utility window, the generated CLSID is saved to Windows' clipboard. So you can paste the CLSID directly into the spot where you need it in the Meinit.xml - I usually paste it into a new text document first though.

The CLSIDs for things such as colourschemes have no dependancies outside the Meinit.xml, so any random generated one will work - to put it in another way, the lockon.exe does not need to recognise the new CLSID....it just needs to have the right format :) .

But just to head off any ideas about making new aircraft entries or the like - active entries(vehicules, ships and aircraft) have fixed CLSIDs linked to their "FM" in the Lockon.exe, so for these it is not possible to make new entries just by generating a random CLSID for them in the Meinit.xml :) .

- JJ.

JJ

Is there some way I can make my own .LOM model or anything to add non-overwriting skins? I have decent modeling skill so I could do that as well... any ideas?

Yes if you have the modelling skills, you can make a new model in 3DS Max and convert it to .lom format using the plug-in posted by Chizh in the "3D models" section of the forum.

But that is a heck of a job(much more complicated than it sounds) just to get more colourscheme options - especially since Black Shark already has a brand new Hind model in .lom format with associated .skins file - allowing you to add as many extra colourschemes as you like.....so I think I would wait for that instead ;) .

- JJ.

JJ

Well I'm looking more towards weapon mods rather than anything like aircraft, etc...

especially since Black Shark already has a brand new Hind model in .lom format with associated .skins file - allowing you to add as many extra colourschemes as you like.....so I think I would wait for that instead ;) .

- JJ.

Had I known that, I wouldn't be so dissapointed. At least there is some good news out there. I will wait then and add the skin to Black Shark instead.

Thanks a lot!

LOL...well it is a bit of a "cowboy job" and it can be a little difficult to find and see exactly what you need to cut out of the Mecustom.xml....if you make a mistake(or forget to altogether), the sim will crash :) .

It is much easier(and safer) to just use the generator utility I uploaded - I just didn't know it existed when I came up with the above procedure :D .

Cheers,

- JJ.

Not Cowboy at all ;) Anyone can use the proper tools but ingenuity goes along way :thumbup: .

I'll use the the utility you linked to, though I'll still try the cowboy method as well.. it just seems like a good thing to know how to do. :D ..

• Like 1

Cozmo.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

when you guys find the time, please make all this information into a tutorial or update the cdds pdf file.

I've already finished V2 of my CDDS tutorial adding two new sections 5 and 6 but thanks to Alfa I can now add section 7 ;) . I wont have time over the next few days (Christmas, Boxing day etc) to work on it but I'll PM you when I'm done.

Cozmo.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

especially since Black Shark already has a brand new Hind model in .lom format with associated .skins file - allowing you to add as many extra colourschemes as you like.....so I think I would wait for that instead
A-ha...here we go now!

I had similar issues when I tried to install couple of RL Flanker squadron skins into LO. First four colourschemes are shared between Rus and Ukr so adding new skins to those positions is not advisable (they'll appear in both countries). So I had to overwrite Lypetsk 1, 2 and Savasleyka skins with new, real life IAPs from Pechenga, Severomorsk and Rogachevo. Too bad I can't have all of them at the same time. Lypetsk squadrons use red nomera numbers and that's not quite right with Pechenga, Severomorsk and Rogachevo as they should have blue. I also made a small Sqn names change in MEInit to make 'em properly named in Payload Editor.

Adding those skins to Russian Knights and Test Pilots is also a bad idea since they have no nomera assigned or misplaced as in case of RK.

So I hope we'll get new Flanker.LOM in BS with expandable/editable skin list. Is there a way of changing assignment of nomera files?! I tried to do so but it seems hard coded (read: impossible). I'd just like to assign blue numbers instead of red?

However, I still have one strange problem with 9-13 skins. When I place static Ukrainian Fulcrum somewhere in the map I see Russian Guards MiG-29C #01 skin with Ukrainian badge in .tga and they look kinda off...Like captured or stolen! Check the pic below.

ScreenShot_042.jpg

I thought that static objects always use skin #01 from their country but I can clearly see that's not the case here. Ukrainian #01 skin for MiG-29S is completely different and something's fishy here.

Sorry for straying OT ad Merry Christmas!

Edit: All MiG-29S skins I have in this case are default and properly displayed in Payload Editor so I've no idea what's going on...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

So I hope we'll get new Flanker.LOM in BS with expandable/editable skin list.

Well I don't think ED's new Su-27 model will make it into Black Shark, but as you know StrikeMax is working on one as well and thats probably a better bet for the near future :) .

Is there a way of changing assignment of nomera files?!

No not as far as changing which nomera version is used for a particular "skin slot" - but you could swap them around simply by renaming them.

I tried to do so but it seems hard coded (read: impossible).

No they are not "hardcoded" - which nomera file is used for a slot and even the numbering sequence is assigned in the 3D model and activated by the game via arguments.

I'd just like to assign blue numbers instead of red?

Well if you just want all numbers to be blue, you can just copy the Nomera.tga and then name the copy "Nomera-red.tga" :hmm: .

However, I still have one strange problem with 9-13 skins. When I place static Ukrainian Fulcrum somewhere in the map I see Russian Guards MiG-29C #01 skin with Ukrainian badge in .tga and they look kinda off...Like captured or stolen! Check the pic below.

[snip]

I thought that static objects always use skin #01 from their country..

No you got that slightly wrong - static objects always use skin #01 from the total list in the 3D model :) . The MiG-29S model supports a total of 10 colourschemes(IIRC) - these are just divided between Russia and Ukraine via the meinit.xml.

- JJ.

JJ

static objects always use skin #01 from the total list in the 3D model :)

So the only way to avoid this unusual appearace it to make new MiG-29S model with edited list of skins?!

Thanks Alfa on advices on changing the appearance of nomera files!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

You get better results from using the Gimp and editing the nomera files.You can change the colours and fade the colours so they don't look so bright. Or you could just send me the colrs you want to use and I can edit the nomera or nomera Red files for you then you can just make a CCDs for your self and change the colours by inserting diffrent Nomera files with Modman

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/a-10c-warthog-supplies

https://forum.dcs.world/topic/133818-deadmans-cockpit-base-plans/#comment-133824

CNCs and Laser engravers are great but they can't do squat with out a precise set of plans.

You get better results from using the Gimp and editing the nomera files.You can change the colours and fade the colours so they don't look so bright. Or you could just send me the colrs you want to use and I can edit the nomera or nomera Red files for you then you can just make a CCDs for your self and change the colours by inserting diffrent Nomera files with Modman

I already done that, thanks!

It looks much better now with faded numbers, it's not a big deal...I just reduced opacity level to a cca 72%. I also made frayed ends to make numbers kinda peel from the airframe.

Next thing I'll try are 3D looking numbers to get something like this:

a1.jpg

BTW...does anyone know if 3 digit nomera is possible?!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Sorry about the belated quote, but a thought just struck me. Having opened the Mi24W.cmd file with notepad (and receiving a ton of hieroglyphs on the screen due to the binary format), I scrolled down to the bottom to see the entries referring to:

• mi24-okras.bmp
  • nomera-yellow.tga
  • sopla-f.bmp
  • nomera.tga
  • ukr-krug.tga
  • mig23-fon.tga
  • bano.tga
  • wint-3-drive.tga
  • mi8-wint.tga

Is there any idea how LO would handle a clone of a Mi-24W.cmd file with the edited texture references pointing to alternate ones, provided we can smuggle in a new CLSID? Or is FC unable of that and we have to wait till BS to be able to do so?

Edit: While I'm at it, what's the difference between a Mi-24W.cmd and a Mi-24W-OBLOMOK.cmd? FreeTranslation claims "обломок" means "fragment" - could it be a damage model?

The number of digits are linked by the model The U.S Aircraft uses three the Soviet aircraft two thats just the way it is

There's an alternate way - placing the first digit directly before the nomera positioning. I believe a similar trick was used for Alfa's MiG-29K and the subsequent Navy Supermod, where the first digit was directly painted onto the skin, while the other two "responded" to the plane # and so formed a three-digit nomera.

Alternately, editing the nomera files to have 2 digits taking up the width of one (ergo getting 11 instead of 1 or 13 instead of 3) would work.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Real men fly ground attack :pilotfly: where EVERYTHING wants a piece of you :D