Adding new skin slots to the game

Black_Hawk

Is there a way to add new skin slots to the game? Like it was done with the fictional USAF skin for the Hunchback?

Sorry if this has been discussed before, but I haven't come up with anything useful using the Search option

Only a couple of aircraft models are allowed additional skins - IIRC they're the Su25T and the F/A-18. The others are limited to the number of slots originally there.

Well if we cant do it now for all planes, maybe the devs could add a few extra slots to all planes in a future patch. It would be cool to have multiple skins of the same type plane in the air at once.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

system specs:

AMD 1100T X6, Asus Crosshair 4 Formula Mobo, 16 Gigs GSkill DDR3, XFX R9-290X 4GB 512-Bit, X-52 flight stick set, Samsung 2560x1440, Win7 64

IIRC in that mod that adds 2 US skins to the Hunchback there are some instructions how to add this slots and corresponding textures to them.

But I think that the only way of making this skins appear on the 3D model is to add them to CDDS and since CDDS file size is fixed you cannod add or remove anything from it :(

But if someone knew a way to add new CDDS files to the game then it would probably easy to make one and fill it out with the textures you want.

So, anyone know of some utility that creates CDDS files???

It would be so much easier if each plane model would have it's own folder, under some sort of skins folder. And then you have subfolder which is named after skinname - and there you put texture files. Without all that meinit, CLSID and other BS (I dont mean BS ;) )

f.e.

\

\Su-27S

\default\

\Front1.bmp

\Front2.bmp

\Tail1.bmp.... etc.

\Standard-1\

\Front1.bmp

\Front2.bmp

\Tail1.bmp.... etc.

\Standard-2\

\Front1.bmp

\Front2.bmp

\Tail1.bmp.... etc.

\Su-33

\default\

\Front1.bmp

\Front2.bmp

\Tail1.bmp.... etc.

\Navy-1\

\.....bmp

\....bmp

\Custom504thskin\

\........bmp

\........bmp

51PVO Founding member (DEC2007-)

100KIAP Founding member (DEC2018-)

:: Shaman aka [100☭] Shamansky

tail# 44 or 444

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] 100KIAP Regiment Early Warning & Control officer

But if someone knew a way to add new CDDS files to the game then it would probably easy to make one and fill it out with the textures you want.

So, anyone know of some utility that creates CDDS files???

Black Hawk, what about the deal in modman 5 where is has the check box for installing/not installing in cdds. Those skins are going somewhere else arent they? could that lead to a work around? Just wondering.

Something else. if the CDDS is fixed size and we can get into there and say take out a few plane slots from a different plane we dont need for that mission/movie, then there would be enough extra room in CDDS to add back in the same amount of slots taken out but of the plane we wanted more of. Or am i way off here.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

system specs:

AMD 1100T X6, Asus Crosshair 4 Formula Mobo, 16 Gigs GSkill DDR3, XFX R9-290X 4GB 512-Bit, X-52 flight stick set, Samsung 2560x1440, Win7 64

In ModMan 5 you can choose wether you want or don't want the skin you are installing to occupy the place of the previous texture in CDDS; in other words you are replacing a part of the CDDS file. If you don't install it in CDDS then it will be placed in root/Bazar/Temp textures folder as a .bmp , in 1.12 (and probably 1.1, I don't know, i went straight to 1.12a) you uncheck the CDDS checkbox 'cause if you install the texure in CDDS it leads to some loss in FPS.

I like your idea of knocking out some textures from the CDDS, but then you would have to rename the texture, OR, even better, as Bossi-Maserati was playing around with meinit.xml you could for instance just replace some A-10 texture with the texture of the plane you want and tell the game to use the "A-10" texture for your plane (say Su-30)!

Can this be done?

And is there a utility that can "explore" the CDDS file???

Ill do some searching for CDDS programs, but not right away. Im still playing with getting my meinit.xml file like i want it to include more than one mod. (FPS Tweak1.12a and SuperMod10). Then Ill get back to the slots and CDDS stuff. This board is full of a determined bunch to tinker with and change things to our liking. Its only a mater of time till we get over the next challenge.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

system specs:

Ill do some searching for CDDS programs, but not right away. Im still playing with getting my meinit.xml file like i want it to include more than one mod. (FPS Tweak1.12a and SuperMod10). Then Ill get back to the slots and CDDS stuff. This board is full of a determined bunch to tinker with and change things to our liking. Its only a mater of time till we get over the next challenge.

Have you guys tried using LOMAN? I have used it to view and extract CDDS skin files and one is supposed to be able to insert back into the world textures. I have not been able to insert new skin files yet.

Hi,

For all aircraft the number of supported skins is determined by the 3D model with each texture set and names of textures listed inside this. So you cannot add extra ones by editing the meinit.xml.

The exceptions are:

- Su-25T

- F-18

- C-130

....for these models there are seperate *.skins files(in \Bazar\World\Shapes folder) that you can edit with notepad and add extra texture sets to the list - then make the corresponding colourscheme lines in the meinit afterwards.

So to answer some of your questions:

Well if we cant do it now for all planes, maybe the devs could add a few extra slots to all planes in a future patch. It would be cool to have multiple skins of the same type plane in the air at once.

Not possible - as mentioned above, it is the 3D model which limits the number of skins and therefore providing an expandable skin list would require a new(or modified) 3d model for each aircraft entry.

IIRC in that mod that adds 2 US skins to the Hunchback there are some instructions how to add this slots and corresponding textures to them.

But I think that the only way of making this skins appear on the 3D model is to add them to CDDS...

It has nothing to do with the CDDS archieves - to the extend the 3D model has an associated *.skins file, you can add to the number of skins in this and just put your extra texture bitmaps into the TempTextures folder.

The CDDS archieves are just for holding textures(and their mip-maps) compressed in .dds format.

Cheers,

- JJ.

JJ

....in 1.12 (and probably 1.1, I don't know, i went straight to 1.12a) you uncheck the CDDS checkbox 'cause if you install the texure in CDDS it leads to some loss in FPS.

Other way around mate :) - if you install into the TempTextures folder it can lead to lower FPS.......because textures in the TempTextures folder are in bitmap format and don't have any associated mip-maps.

I like your idea of knocking out some textures from the CDDS, but then you would have to rename the texture, OR, even better, as Bossi-Maserati was playing around with meinit.xml you could for instance just replace some A-10 texture with the texture of the plane you want and tell the game to use the "A-10" texture for your plane (say Su-30)!

Can this be done?

No :) . As mentioned in my last reply, the texture names for an aircraft are listed inside the 3D model.

And is there a utility that can "explore" the CDDS file???

Yes there a utility called "LO texture tool", which can be downloaded from the French CheckSix web site: http://www.checksix-fr.com/

Cheers,

- JJ.

JJ

Thanks Alfa for your answers to some of our questions, and for keeping us from wasting a bunch of time on things we cant change.

So i have this question for you. Is the explosin power/blast radius/damage path etc of the AGM-86 ALCM used by the B-52, able to be modified/increased? Basicly I want to have the B-52 lauch one of these at a base and when it gets there, everything at the base is destroied or on fire.

thanks.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

system specs:

Thanks Alfa for your answers to some of our questions, and for keeping us from wasting a bunch of time on things we cant change.

You are welcome mate :) .

I don't want to discourage you guys from fiddling around with the meinit because doing this is the only way to come up with modding ideas - but on the other hand there is no reason to waste time travelling too far down a dead-end street :) .

So i have this question for you. Is the explosin power/blast radius/damage path etc of the AGM-86 ALCM used by the B-52, able to be modified/increased?

No I am afraid not - weapons parameters are hardcoded :)

Cheers,

- JJ.

JJ