A-10C 1.1.0.6 Patch Available

Wags

Thanks for releasing the patch so quickly. It's good to see that the Devs are on top of things :-)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Asus ROG Rampage Extreme VI; i9 7900X (all 10 cores at 4.5GHz); 32 Gb Corsair Dominator DDR4; EVGA 1080Ti Hybrid; 1Tb Samsung 960 Evo M2; 2Tb Samsung 850 Pro secondary.

Oculus Rift; TM Warthog; Saitek Combat Pros.

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, that's not what I said. I indicated the common misperception that a specific FPS is required for something to look fluid, wherefore people who suffer issues can be made aware of that trick since it might solve their issue. The point is this: the human brain will notice shifts between 40 and 60 FPS, and you'll experience it as not being smooth. But if you limit the renderer to 40 FPS only the FPS will remain steady and your experience will be that it is smooth. Essentially, quite often it's not the FPS itself that is the problem - it's that it changes that is the problem.

My apologies for trying to help. :)

Please never Apoligies for your hard work!!!

Maybe, Just maybe, IF You all Turn OFF your FPS Counters, Then you see Nothing as a change, Use it to set Grapfics, Then turn it off......You will be amazed at what you don't notice anymore!!!! Try it...:doh:

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]Celticcoho (OriginFreedom)

WIN 7 64 bit, I7975 at 3.6ghz,X58 Classified 3 Mobo, 6gb Corsair 2000 ram, 2 ea ATI 5870 Eyefinity 6 2gb's , 27" Ultra Sharp,(main view), 3 23"touch screens , Tm Warthog, Saitek Combat Pedals Track IR 5,:D JIM.:book:

Where is config.lua located?

What you are noticing isn't the framerates itself, you are noticing the change in famerates. Change maxFPS in config.lua to 30 or 40 and you won't notice it. ;)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Pilot from Croatia

No, that's not what I said. I indicated the common misperception that a specific FPS is required for something to look fluid, wherefore people who suffer issues can be made aware of that trick since it might solve their issue. The point is this: the human brain will notice shifts between 40 and 60 FPS, and you'll experience it as not being smooth. But if you limit the renderer to 40 FPS only the FPS will remain steady and your experience will be that it is smooth. Essentially, quite often it's not the FPS itself that is the problem - it's that it changes that is the problem.

From a physiological standpoint, the 'typical' person will begin to detect a sequence of individual images vs. a 'moving picture' below 16fps. That's with a static camera. When the camera moves, that threshold rises significantly. (There's a neat chart that plots the threshold vs. camera velocity, but my ASC handbook is in storage.)

But yes, EtherealN is correct. 40fps is quite smooth and capping your max to meet your average, or even your minimum, would help immensly.

NO.... I paid for a certain amount of FPS and if ED patches the sim i PAID for and then takes my FPS back that I paid for the first time around that is like taking money out of my pocket.. IT IS MY FPS AND YOU WILL NOT TAKE IT FROM ME!!!!

now resuming to sucking my thumb....move on nothing to see here.

This, is very incorrect.

i7 7700K @5.0, 1080Ti, 32GB DDR4, HMD Odyssey, TM WH, Crosswind Rudder...

many Here have become Fixated on FPS VS the Sim, Set your Graphics with FPS, Then turn it off and Enjoy what you are seeing, instead of Peeing your pants every time the FPS changes....Focus on the Sim, not your FPS. Once you set what you like, turn off FPS counter and Sim comes Alive for you. TRUTH!!!!:thumbup: Real Problems will show themselves Quite well, The rest is USER ERROR, Training your Brain to see FPS VS True Graphics!!!! No Offense, but at least you identified the Biggest Problem with FPS. Fix, Simply turn it off. Let your eyes see the graphics and not a Number changing.....

Edited by celticcoho

WIN 7 64 bit, I7975 at 3.6ghz,X58 Classified 3 Mobo, 6gb Corsair 2000 ram, 2 ea ATI 5870 Eyefinity 6 2gb's , 27" Ultra Sharp,(main view), 3 23"touch screens , Tm Warthog, Saitek Combat Pedals Track IR 5,:D JIM.:book:

Where is config.lua located?

My bad, I had mixed up the filenames.

It is graphics.cfg. On my machine it is located at C:\Games\DCS A-10C Warthog\Config\ , obviously you'll have to edit the start of that according to your own install path.

Open it with Notepad++ (preferably not regular windows notepad), scroll down to line 394 which by default says:

MaxFPS = 120;

Change that to

MaxFPS = 40;

...or whichever setting you prefer. On my previous machine I would usually set it to 30 in DCS Black Shark. That way I was pretty much immune to "stutters" and other such effects.

Edited by EtherealN

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

My point was, for him a 40% decrease in framerate would still be flyable. Someone with less would be below a minimal acceptable framerate. Not debating wether or not a change in fps is what you notice rather than the fps itself. Merely pointing out the question of wether the drop is necessary and acceptable.

Well, agreed, it is highly individual. In one of the testing builds before release I had that issue - it was completely unplayable for me in F3 view even though the FPS never went below 40-50ish. Changed that to 40 - smooth as silk. Now obviously, if the dips had gone down to 15 then setting maxFPS to 15 wouldn't be a solution. But in most cases it isn't "that bad". Not a panacea, but it is a trick that will help most people that experience this issue.

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

|
| Life of a Game Tester

I set mine to my Screen Refresh Rate, 60. No worries here. And yes, I turn the Damn FPS Counter OFF. I have adjusted my Graphics since then, with my Eyes, not the FPS Counter. Truth!!!

i am getting a lot of ctd's when switching to external views

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." - Leonardo da Vinci

Intel i7-4790k | Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo heat sink | Thermaltake Core V71 case | 750W EVGA PSU | 8gb G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 RAM | MSI Z97 Gaming 5 LGA 1150 motherboard | Samsung SSD | ASUS STRIX GTX 970 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | TIR 5 | Razer Deathadder | Corsair K70

I get an fps hit when I'm 'in the soup.' Obviously this is a grand simplification, but it's all white, so I would have thought there is a way around it. maybe the Modders can help. 'On top' fps are great!

Enjoy what you are seeing, instead of Peeing your pants every time the FPS changes....Focus on the Sim, not your FPS.

Tru dat. When not paying attention to the counter, even 22-25 is fine for me. And as Etherreal stated, it's the fluctuations that throw the wrench in.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Ok.. to make things clear :

I perfecly understand that what I notice is the drop from 75 to 50 or 45 FPS... setting max FPS to 50 would probably help.

Now, when you say that above 30FPS (or so) one cannot see the difference in fluidity, you are telling BS...

I can notice a great difference from 30 to 50, to 75.. it is true that above 75, I can't...

Don't forget that FPS is a average per second... if you have 50 FPS, that doesnt mean you have 1 images every 2/100th of second..

You could have 40 images for 1/2 a second and 10 images for 1/2 a second.. that would make it 50FPS, but still feel "stuttering".. That is why, the more FPS you have, the more fluid the thing seems to be, up to a certain point..

So clearly, if we could have a less dramatic FPS drop in presence of smokes, the better we would be. That was the case in beta 4.. I don't see why we should not be able to have it again.

that being said, thank you for all the other fixes, and I still love this simulator.,

[sIGPIC]https://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic70550_3.gif[/sIGPIC]

Asus Z390-H - SSD M.2 EVO 970 - Intel I9 @5.0ghz - 32gb DDR4 4000 - EVGA 3090 - Cougar FSSB + Virpil WRBRD + Hornet Stick - Thrustmaster TPR Pedal + WinWing MIP + Orion + TO and CO pannels - Track IR5

unexpected results..

same conditions as before, as set the max FPS at 50FPS..

guess what.. Now when I look at the same smokes I get 35-38 FPS only.. :(

went back to previous setting

[sIGPIC]https://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic70550_3.gif[/sIGPIC]

Asus Z390-H - SSD M.2 EVO 970 - Intel I9 @5.0ghz - 32gb DDR4 4000 - EVGA 3090 - Cougar FSSB + Virpil WRBRD + Hornet Stick - Thrustmaster TPR Pedal + WinWing MIP + Orion + TO and CO pannels - Track IR5

Well, agreed, it is highly individual. In one of the testing builds before release I had that issue - it was completely unplayable for me in F3 view even though the FPS never went below 40-50ish. Changed that to 40 - smooth as silk. Now obviously, if the dips had gone down to 15 then setting maxFPS to 15 wouldn't be a solution. But in most cases it isn't "that bad". Not a panacea, but it is a trick that will help most people that experience this issue.

I've experienced it that bad so to me when I read the answer I saw, instead of set maxfps to 40, set maxfps to 15-20. Probably why I responded sarcasticly.

Ah, copy, and yeah perhaps I should have clarified the method a bit more in my original posting. There are some caveats to it that should have been mentioned.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

|
| Life of a Game Tester

To the AMAZINGLY talented people at ED.... Thankyou! This just gets better. <S

System specs; i7 9700k 32GB RAM 2x1TB SSD Drives (1 DCS Dedicated) MSI Z390 MB. MSI GeForce RTX 3070. 4KTV monitor. Reverb G2 VR.Stock TM HOTAS. (Tm WartHog) Throttle. VBK MCG.

At the installation you have the option to install 32bit files, so it works on 32bit systems, only you lose the benifit of the 64bit system.

The recommended is 64bit ;)

Hi and thanks.

I was basing my decision on a number of posts I read ont his forum that say, in a nutshell, if you try to run in 32-bit you will have a slide-show if there is anything at all going on in a mission.

If this is true, I will hold off re-installing until I am in a position to move to a 64-bit OS. I don't want my hardware and OS limitations to diminish the enjoyment of the sim. I would rather wait.

Also, there is at least one post on this forum that clearly states that the MINIMUM requirements for this sim are 64-bit OS. If this is not true, then this needs to be clarified by ED forthwith.

Well, the thing is that it isn't really that straightforward.

To run well, yes, you really want a 64-bit OS, since 32-bit OSes don't have the adress space that's needed. BUT: you can make the OS get some extra adress space even on 32-bit, and enough to make the simulator run without a problem. But depending on what other software you are using and how your OS is otherwise configured, this might cause other programs to have problems. (It basically changes a bit of how the OS handles memory adressing, and in most cases it's fine, but I hope you understand that it's a bit difficult to say "32-bit is no problem, you just have to tweak the adress paging..." in the system requirements.)

32-bit vs 64-bit is virtually completely unrelated to FPS performance and such things. The only link to speed and "slide-shows" is that a 32-bit system would stand a higher risk of having to unload stuff (like textures) from memory to the hard drive because of the small adress space, and then have to re-read said textures from HDD the next time you look in that direction. This can usually be helped by just lowering texture size, though, and is most commonly more a vRAM size issue than specifically a 32-bit issue.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

|
| Life of a Game Tester

Did my first flight with the new patch. I wasn't really expecting much difference, but I am loving the new sound adjustments. The canopy sounds are really cool. The Gun sounds as though it has been tweaked too, it seem a bit less harsh on the high end. Also, the external view sound of the GAU is mental, nearly tore my headphones a "new one" :thumbup:. Engines and APU sound tweaked too.

Thanks again.

Specs: GA-Z87X-UD3H, i7-4770k, 16GB, RTX2060, SB AE-5, 750watt Corsair PSU, X52, Track IR4, Win10x64.

Sim Settings: Textures: ? | Scenes: ? |Water: ? | Visibility Range: ? | Heat Blur: ? | Shadows: ? | Res: 1680x1050 | Aspect: 16:10 | Monitors: 1 Screen | MSAA: ? | Tree Visibility: ? | Vsync: On | Mirrors: ? | Civ Traffic: High | Res Of Cockpit Disp: 512 | Clutter: ? | Fullscreen: On

No problem d/l patch just four hours after it was released. Awesome new sounds, no change to FPS and a lot of great fixes. Cheers!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

257th Fighting Falcons/First VFW-25th Virtual Fighter Squadron

Specs: Win7 HP 64 bit, i7-960 @ 3.2GHz, 12GB DDR3 RAM @ 1333MHz, Intel-based Alienware mobo, 256GB Samsung SSD, WD 1.0TB HD, Samsung LCD monitor @ 1920x1200, TM Warthog, SIMPED vario F-16 rudders w/brakes, R.A.T. 7 mouse, 2xMimo 7" LCDs, 2xTM Cougar MFDs, and TrackIR4 w/Pro Clip. Wife who tolerates it. Cat who thinks she can interrupt at ANY time. :doh:

Hello and good morning,

I have a question regarding the latest patch:

I can not find the "tree visibility" slider in the graphic options menu, the only slider would be the clutter/bushes...

Now where do I change this option?

Thanks for your help

Boris

9900k, 2080TI, 64GB, ssd, valve index, Thrustmaster on virpil, virpil cm2 throttle, tpr pedals, mfd.

If the patch was installed properly it should be right under the "bushes" visibility slider.

hmmm

dont have that slider...

will go and reinstall the sim then

9900k, 2080TI, 64GB, ssd, valve index, Thrustmaster on virpil, virpil cm2 throttle, tpr pedals, mfd.