DCS F-35A

Wags

It's alarming to think you aren't joking.

See, I'm a little torn; on the one hand I wanted to help out with a project that really sounded promising. But we were told that as subscribers to Area 51, we would be given regular development news, among other "perks" for our financial assistance. It simply wasn't a "here's some of my cash just because I love you" arrangement.

So on the other hand... regular updates were a fair expectation. What's the point of paying for the privilege of having access to essentially nothing -- on an ongoing basis? It seems you're implying that simply having access to certain areas of the site should make people feel all warm and fuzzy for contributing without anything of continued value being provided to match the contributions... I think you're massively missing the point, yourself.

Essentially nothing? There was a time when updates "died off" due to the lead programmer needing to take an extended leave of absence due to personal issues - outside of that the updates were regular and on time. The Devs provided notice when the updates weren't going to be regular and they even went so far as to offer a refund to people. They also advised people not to pay for area51 access at one point due to the lack of updates.

Clearly they were intent on scamming you... /sarcasm

By paying for area51 access you were not supporting/contributing/donating to the development of FO simulations. You were simply supporting the cost of maintaining the forums. To think otherwise shows how little you know of the effort and money required to develop a HiFi-simulator. It's the same type of people that get all pissed at ED when they decide to charge for enhanced features.

Now, you can say, you wish or expected more info and that is completely fair. IT IS NOT fair to run around other forums slandering another person or group because YOU weren't happy. I was a paying area51 member from the start, there was a ton of information that was released and it was steady, again until the lead developer took some personal time.

Every member of Area51 received prompt notice when things were slowing down due to certain issues, if you feel you were lied to or misled, then you failed to read the updates.

Even during the time when the lead developer took a break, there were updates, more rare, but the kept coming in regards to developing the airports/cities.

Well what a relief. See my previous post.

Read my previous post.

I DID read your post. You obviously didn't read mine, you obviously didn't read the Area51 forums either...

Win 10 Pro 64Bit | 49" UWHD AOC 5120x1440p | AMD 5900x | 64Gb DDR4 | RX 6900XT

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think 'no effect' is a fair description. They don't fall out of the sky, but there's definitely an effect.

I thought that lightning strikes commercial aircraft on a regular basis with no effect.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

• ED Team

Yup, you occasionally hear about minor problems with strikes on commercial planes, but for the most part its not CNN worthy so you dont hear about them :)

I don't think 'no effect' is a fair description. They don't fall out of the sky, but there's definitely an effect.

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

It's as much a disaster as any other 'superfighter' you might know of, when those were new.

The AIM-120 was a total disaster, but they fixed it up and now it is the premier air to air missile.

Did you know that the F-15A's aerodynamic fix (yes, it had horrific buffeting issues) was a carpenter climbing up to the thing, taking a ruler to it and sawing off the wingtips right in front a bunch of officials? (He plugged the tips with wood of course :) ).

The F-16 suffered a bunch of 'disasters' well into its useful life as well, there was at least one well publicized scandal. It's not modeled in any flight sim (mind you, GE fixed the problem).

There are plenty more examples for various planes.

- Apparently that plane is a disaster IRL whether it's in term of performance because of malfunction or various failures so far or in terms of cost and unmanageable maintenance cost/hour of flight which tbh, wouldn't make me proud of flying such an iconic failure (thus far). Not to mention it hasn't even been in a single war op I believe?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

The actuall lightening is only half the danger of flying into a thunderstorm. The air is very unstable and unpredictable. It really doesn't matter what you are flying its always best to avoid them all together

Clearly they were intent on scamming you... /sarcasm

Never said they were scamming me, but I certainly feel like I was burnt by it; scamming would imply intent to take money through devious means. Though I think they had the best intent, they simply didn't deliver what I would consider a minimum fair value for the Area 51 community's contribution. But that's action, not intent.

I DID read your post. You obviously didn't read mine, you obviously didn't read the Area51 forums either...

So you read my post but ingested none of it. I don't know how else you could come to deliver your previous post. You even went so far as to ask what my point was when I clearly stated what my point actually was. Sigh.

And you are quite well splitting hairs by saying one level of support is not support for the project as a whole. Not to mention the fact that if the hosting costs were so damn high "FO" were clearly poor at seeing good value in hosting services. "Cost of maintaining the forums" - yowza, did they hire a Cray? Or perhaps they were counting on much more traffic when they signed up...

Not after a time I didn't read Area51 - I'd drop by to check that, yep, not much more than tumbleweeds rolling around here... and obviously after such a long period of ridiculously poor communication not at all.

You sound like more than just a worked-up fan of FO B

This is the internet, if you're afraid of having people express dissatisfaction somewhere others can read it, you may be in for a tough gig trying to shut it down. No point in giving me grief for sharing a warning with others about the risks of dispensing with money without any real guarantee of anything (sorry, but after 7-odd years I feel that's a pretty fair statement). I could go back to the FO forums, but there'd be all of 5 people there to read my incredibly horrendous ramblings /sarcasm.

More to the point, as much as it may not seem that way, but as I did write in my original post, I in fact do hope FO eventually succeeds before I die. And the very same for the F35 project, though as I hinted at, I imagine both the DCS module and the actual aircraft will be here long before FO, in any case.

Edited by S3NTRY11

Slip the surly bonds of Earth

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Core i7 2600k@4.5||Z77 Extreme 6||16GB RAM

WIN 10||HTC Vive ||G940||1080Ti

Discussions of FO and A51 are off topic here, and that's gone long enough.

Please don't discuss it in this thread any more.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

It's as much a disaster as any other 'superfighter' you might know of, when those were new.

The AIM-120 was a total disaster, but they fixed it up and now it is the premier air to air missile.

Did you know that the F-15A's aerodynamic fix (yes, it had horrific buffeting issues) was a carpenter climbing up to the thing, taking a ruler to it and sawing off the wingtips right in front a bunch of officials? (He plugged the tips with wood of course :) ).

The F-16 suffered a bunch of 'disasters' well into its useful life as well, there was at least one well publicized scandal. It's not modeled in any flight sim (mind you, GE fixed the problem).

There are plenty more examples for various planes.

The P-38 was a disaster early on. The P-51 was a disaster when the recommended powerplant wasn't used. In fact, a great many of the most famous aircraft in the world almost failed completely due to these "disasters". Some that failed were probably very close to being legendary aircraft. It's just how it happens.

Too true and thanks for pointing this out.

http://www.youtube.com/user/311Gryphon

i7-8700, 32 GB DDR4 3000, GTX 1080 TI 11GB, 240 GB SSD, 2TB HDD, Dual (sometimes Triple) monitor, TM Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, TrackIR

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

After Janet Harduvel sued their butts for anything and everything. lol.

Tomcats had and still had issues when they were retired.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

Don't get me wrong I do hope the F-35 and it's variants ends up being a big success and financially viable given how deep the US and other contractors got their heads in that huge and challenging project and simply just cannot afford to start from scratch now.

But I doubt the troubles the F-35 faces in terms of development and more importantly the astronomic cost issues can really be compared to troubled R&Developments in the past. It is unprecedented and basically is an exercise 'on how not to run a major acquisition effort' as one just has to look at the numbers and numerous officials statements to realize the whole project walk on thin ice indeed. Although, maybe that's a bit out of subject here and there's obviously enough matter for that debate to have a thread of its own. :)

I was merely raising a point about the F-35 not being viable IRL so far and the near future (hopefully that'll change) which haven't taken part in any war theater. I'm not judging it, that's just known facts that influences my love and/or reticence for an aircraft or another, in this case the F-35; which on paper looks awfully cool and sexy and that translate in-game to fun bars. That's all we're after in the end. I will still backup that project regardless like I've previously stated (if the plan is to reach the level of detail of other modules). :)

Edited by Vivoune

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Vivoune thank you but I think we have discussed the availability of intelligence issue to death and I for one trust in in Kinney's ability to make a DCS-level product without the guesswork. That will most likely not be the issue.* On your first point, if you want to criticize the F-35 for acting like every other high-performance fighter aircraft in terms of maintenance and in its design phase, then well that is your right. If people complain about getting murdered by the F-35, well they can either develop tactics (human wave lol) or exclude it from the server.

I think the problem with getting shot down or not being able to shootdown a DCS F35 will be based on the fact they are competing against an aircraft with potentially unrealistic values for radar strength, ecm burn through, side aspect rcs, etc. Plus with it being cutting edge tech unknown quantities come into play such as AESA signal observability which rather than being an invisible source is actually known as a low probability of intercept which will require even more guessing on whether a rwr sees an emitting AESA or not. How all this is interpreted will always be up for debate and primarily because unlike certain aspects of the A-10c this directly affects the pvp environment.

"[51☭] FROSTIE" #55

51st PVO "BISONS"

Fastest MiG pilot in the world - TCR'10

https://100kiap.org

I see P-51 servers with no Fulcrums, Flankers or Eagles.

While of course it might not be terribly fun to have a server of just F-35's, they can also be carefully incorporated into certain missions.

I'll also point out that as devastating as an F-35 should be, you might find a super-hornet just as scary against the current flock of FC birds ... but as you said, all subject to interpretation.

I personally wasn't a big fan of the Ka-50's stealthing.

I think the problem with getting shot down or not being able to shootdown a DCS F35 will be based on the fact they are competing against an aircraft with potentially unrealistic values for radar strength, ecm burn through, side aspect rcs, etc. Plus with it being cutting edge tech unknown quantities come into play such as AESA signal observability which rather than being an invisible source is actually known as a low probability of intercept which will require even more guessing on whether a rwr sees an emitting AESA or not. How all this is interpreted will always be up for debate and primarily because unlike certain aspects of the A-10c this directly affects the pvp environment.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

But I doubt the troubles the F-35 faces in terms of development and more importantly the astronomic cost issues can really be compared to troubled R&Developments in the past.

They are directly comparable if you account the change in the value of money, and last time I checked the F-35 was in the correct price ballbark with old mainstays like the F-15.

It is unprecedented and basically is an exercise 'on how not to run a major acquisition effort' as one just has to look at the numbers and numerous officials statements to realize the whole project walk on thin ice indeed. Although, maybe that's a bit out of subject here and there's obviously enough matter for that debate to have a thread of its own. :)

Apparently people aren't looking at enough numbers. That isn't to say that scandals have not or will not happen.

I was merely raising a point about the F-35 not being viable IRL so far and the near future (hopefully that'll change) which haven't taken part in any war theater. I'm not judging it, that's just known facts that influences my love and/or reticence for an aircraft or another, in this case the F-35; which on paper looks awfully cool and sexy and that translate in-game to fun bars. That's all we're after in the end. I will still backup that project regardless like I've previously stated (if the plan is to reach the level of detail of other modules). :)

Was the Raptor viable from day one? Was the F-15? How about the F-16 or the F-18? F-14? The F-35 is going through pretty much the same shake-down those other fighters did. It has its problems, just like everything else that employs new technologies, and the F-35 really is on the cutting edge.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Was the Raptor viable from day one? Was the F-15? How about the F-16 or the F-18? F-14? The F-35 is going through pretty much the same shake-down those other fighters did. It has its problems, just like everything else that employs new technologies, and the F-35 really is on the cutting edge.

Yes I agree with you, and it being a plane going through shakedowns, still in development and that hasn't even went through half of its test runs means for me it's not the first aircraft I was looking forward to pilot in a highly detailed simulator like DCS, I don't think that's too hard to digest. I didn't say anything about the F-35 supposed to be running perfectly and ready from day one and the whole project being a shame if it didn't IRL.

Now about F-35's cost, well direct comparisons are always very hard to do, even for experts (despite inflation it's just wild guess at future costs in terms of fuel,man wages, resources, materials prices, aircraft sales etc which means so much in an aircraft final price), but one can gather a whole lot of information about that subject in the medias and if there's one thing that no expert debates is the fact that the F-35 is a huge mess financially, constantly threatened by various US authorities that have a say in the US budget be them officials or consultants, the project was at first estimates "the costliest weapons system in U.S. history and the single most expensive item in the 2013 Pentagon budget" and still these estimates doubled and we're just halfway there from what I understand & on its way to being tripled, maintenance and cost per hour in the air is still too high to be viable which forces countries to reconsider their plan to buy F-35s like Canada for one (which obviously would raise the plane's cost even more) when other countries that must acquire the F-35 because they took part of the r&d cost faces raising controversies like Italy for exemple. Tbh, The only financially good thing you can hear about the F-35 is the die-hard backers of the project that says it's getting better and better every time they're given a chance to communicate (which I hope is true). I'm not even mentioning

about the plane design in itself and pilots concerns that raises regularly because I still think it can be a great fun in DCS if the amount of detail is on par to what we're used to, and it looks damn sexy! I feel like a party popper in this thread though so I think I'll just shut it and hopefully catch up with you guys online a year from now enjoying our brand new JSF. :]

About the game balance yea I agree that servers can & would have to manage it, that sure would be a great solution. Like you I think a server full of F-35 only wouldn't be too fun, though from what I gathered kinneyinteractive is planning on creating and supporting F-35 oriented servers with custom scenarios and drills, that could offer some good times indeed!

Edited by Vivoune

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Disturbing testimonies from people who have been out of the game for a while and pilot testimonies from 2006.

The cost of operating the JSF is less. It is less because you can do more with fewer planes - that means fewer support aircraft for ECM, fuel, ELINT, etc. It's a pretty big deal.

Edited by GGTharos

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Disturbing testimonies from people who have been out of the game for a while and pilot testimonies from 2006.

The cost of operating the JSF is less. It is less because you can do more with fewer planes - that means fewer support aircraft for ECM, fuel, ELINT, etc. It's a pretty big deal.

Indeed multi-role aircraft when done right is absolutely awesome in so many ways, budget efficiency is one of them if not THE perk of it. But from what I understand the multi-role base design of the F-35 is its

, "too heavy to be a good fighter yet too fast, thin-skinned and lightly armed to be be a viable air to ground support". Some specialists are saying that, hopefully, the F-35 just won't be matched against a capable Air Force in its life time. But oh well who knows what the 5th gen warfare, if any, will be like. Personally I think it can be an extraordinary aircraft but that will take a whole lot of more years, billions and upgrades for that to happen, I just hope it does in time.

Getting Curiosity on Mars cost 2.5 billions, so far the F-35 cost is on its way to 600, all the things we could do if Earth would unite.

Edited by Vivoune

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

not to mention the Unified parts list for all 3 versions.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

It's multi-role in the same way an F-22 is multi-role. The JSF does have a primary mission: It is a strike fighter, and all other roles are secondary to that. And it will be a very good strike fighter, too - it can go places where an F-16 or F-15 can't strike, deliver the same payload, and come back in one piece.

Indeed multi-role aircraft when done right is absolutely awesome in so many ways, budget efficiency is one of them if not THE perk of it. But from what I understand the multi-role base design of the F-35 is its
, "too heavy to be a good fighter yet too fast, thin-skinned and lightly armed to be be a viable air to ground support". Some specialists are saying that, hopefully, the F-35 just won't be matched against a capable Air Force in its life time. But oh well who knows what the 5th gen warfare, if any, will be like. Personally I think it can be an extraordinary aircraft but that will take a whole lot of more years, billions and upgrades for that to happen, I just hope it does in time.

Getting Curiosity on Mars cost 2.5 billions, so far the F-35 cost is on its way to 600, all the things we could do if Earth would unite.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"too heavy to be a good fighter yet too fast, thin-skinned and lightly armed to be be a viable air to ground support".

It's also too stealthy and too clean when loaded to suffer from the limitations of current aircraft.

We don't send dozens of bombers with 20 bombs each after a factory anymore. We send one or two with a pair of bombs. CAS and air combat have evolved as well. If you only look at how a plane will imitate older planes, you're not going to see the whole picture.

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

I'm with Beach on that post as well. The difference between now and then, however, is that average joes now have SO MUCH MORE access to immediate information that they develop a sense of entitlement. It's as if they feel deserving of an impeccable product because of their perception of familiarity with the real aircraft. They have done the research, they know every switch and every gizmo. All they seek as a reward is a perfect product.

Yeah. "All they seek is a perfect product."

Back in the 90s, doing research on these aircraft was a LOT of work and information wasn't as forthcoming. Now, expectations are much higher because a person could literally sit in the basement all day and night and read aircraft performance spec sheets between jack sessions. Sure, they've read about it- just like the guy who reads about hockey 80 hours a week and knows stats back to the 60s... until you get him on the ice to do the real thing.

I've found myself wincing as I read through some of these forums now- at the CONSTANT nitpicking. I remind myself- okay... well it's not important to me but it doesn't mean it's not important to someone else.

But I think in acknowledging that we're not all going to worry about the same things, that some people need to check their egos at the door long enough that others can enjoy the general development of the simulation concept.

On one side we get "too much information that has too little detail" and on the other we get "not enough accurate information." Frick- can't people agree on anything? Are we ALL so self important?

I'm not sure I've ever seen a group of high fidelity simulation enthusiasts who set themselves so high above everyone else who act with such a spoiled sense of entitlement.

Bring on the F35.

Bring on the civ aircraft.

Bring on that massive WW2 tank...

(But first, fix multiplayer! heheeh)

/rant

/soapbox

Edited by ENO
  • Like 2

"ENO"

Type in anger and you will make the greatest post you will ever regret.

"Sweetest's" Military Aviation Art

• ED Team
For CAS I don't think she's a good replacement for the A-10. For strike she'll be great. Also her lotter time will suck compared to the A-10.

When they talk about using it as a replacement for the A-10 I cant imagine it will be used like the A-10, that the way missions might be tackled by A-10s might be tackled differently by the F-35 right? Too expensive to come back with bullet holes after every mission :)

As for lotter time, do you mean based on fuel it can carry or something else?

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

I'm not sure I've ever seen a group of high fidelity simulation enthusiasts who set themselves so high above everyone else who act with such a spoiled sense of entitlement.

Do you want a simulator, or do you want a game?

City Hall is easier to fight, than a boys' club - an observation :P

"Resort is had to ridicule only when reason is against us." - Jefferson

"Give a group of potheads a bunch of weed and nothing to smoke out of, and they'll quickly turn into engineers... its simply amazing."

EVGA X99 FTW, EVGA GTX980Ti FTW, i7 5930K, 16Gb Corsair Dominator 2666Hz, Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit, Intel 520 SSD x 2, Samsung PX2370 monitor and all the other toys

-

"I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar"