JTAC coordinates

sobe

In an example of a JTAC coordinate, "0707 keypad 7" was used. What does this mean?

Trackir4 using the latest Trackir 5 software, Win10 Pro [Creator Update] updated from Win7Pro Pro 64Bit, Intel® Core™ i5-2500 3.30 GHz 6M Intel Smart Cache LGA115 , GigaByte GA-Z68XP-UD4 Intel Z68 Chipset DDR3 16GB Ram, GTX MSI Gaming 1060 [6 GB] Video Card, Main Monitor 1 on left 1920x1080 Touchscreen Monitor 2 on right 1920x1080 .

Is it like a real life recording you heard or saw?

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

Attached is the example of the JTAC that I was referring to. It is on the example.

Example CAS Comms & 9 Line.pdf

Trackir4 using the latest Trackir 5 software, Win10 Pro [Creator Update] updated from Win7Pro Pro 64Bit, Intel® Core™ i5-2500 3.30 GHz 6M Intel Smart Cache LGA115 , GigaByte GA-Z68XP-UD4 Intel Z68 Chipset DDR3 16GB Ram, GTX MSI Gaming 1060 [6 GB] Video Card, Main Monitor 1 on left 1920x1080 Touchscreen Monitor 2 on right 1920x1080 .

It's just an example grid reference that's all (instead of writing grid XXXX), and then the keypad reference within that grid. Otherwise A16 has explained the meaning of the keypad system.

Spoiler

Intel 13900K (5Ghz), 64Gb 6400Mhz, MSi RTX 3090, Schiit Modi/Magi DAC/AMP, ASUS PG43UQ, Hotas Warthog, RealSimulator FSSB3, 2x TM MFDs + DCS MFDs, MFG Crosswinds, Elgato Steamdeck XL

I've worked with AFAC's, TACP, JTACS, and on several occasions I have called in CAS, I have personally never heard over a radio the term keypad anything. Not to say it doesn't happen it just doesn't seem reliable. If we were going to hit or reconnoiter a target or area we would either use plain language or pull a grid and relay.

Specs:

Fractal Design Define R5 Black, ASUS ROG Strix Z370-E, Intel Core i5-8600K Coffee Lake @ 5.1 GHz, MSI GeForce GTX 1080ti 11GB 352-Bit GDDR5X, Corsair H110i, G.Skill TridentZ 32GB (2x16GB), Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB SSD

I've worked with AFAC's, TACP, JTACS, and on several occasions I have called in CAS, I have personally never heard over a radio the term keypad anything. Not to say it doesn't happen it just doesn't seem reliable. If we were going to hit or reconnoiter a target or area we would either use plain language or pull a grid and relay.

Indeed, it's generally only used to break down larger grid/kill box for holding/coordination rather than targeting.

That example was written a long time ago and was intentionally very simplistic due to the intended audience (it was actually written for ArmA and just quickly tweaked for DCS use in the early days).

Spoiler

Intel 13900K (5Ghz), 64Gb 6400Mhz, MSi RTX 3090, Schiit Modi/Magi DAC/AMP, ASUS PG43UQ, Hotas Warthog, RealSimulator FSSB3, 2x TM MFDs + DCS MFDs, MFG Crosswinds, Elgato Steamdeck XL

I came from flying the sim Cliffs of Dover, in that we would use the grid square references like this one shown, but the "keypad" is referring to the universal "number keys" on the keyboard..so the keypad 7 is the upper left corner of the grid square... I'm not sure if DCS or JTAC is using this same reference please correct me if wrong..

cheers

KV

I don't know how it's used in DCS off the top of my head, I just assume it's as in the real world (of course I could be wrong). The way I described is how it's used in real life, with the "keypad" referring to the number setup on a telephone.