Combat Air Patrol 2 (News ONLY, not discussion)

Koriel

http://www.combatairpatrol2.com/

Noticed a post on Mudspike about this new Flightsim.

http://www.mudspike.com/combat-air-patrol-2-preview-interview/

The devblog:

http://devblog.sim155.com/

In order to implement addictional features they have started a kickstarted project:

And it's greenlit on Steam:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?l=dutch&id=353863895

The reason I'm posting this here is that they need the additional support on Steam. I'm a backer... will you be one too?

Edited by Koriel

• 1 month later...

Blog Update regarding the Dynamic Campaign:

Sunday, 20 September 2015

Dynamic Campaign

CAP2's dynamic campaign seems to have piqued the interest of a few people so I thought it was time to post some information about it.

A basic feature of CAP2's dynamic campaign is persistent world state between missions. This state includes unit positions, orders, armament levels, damage, fleet waypoints etc and is saved after each mission.

A major feature of the campaign is dynamic mission generation. This is reactive to enemy actions, previous mission results and your overall strategy, e.g. if you move your fleet closer to the Strait to be closer to the action then more of your missions will involve fleet protection from air and surface attacks. In addition to the dynamic campaign missions there are predefined missions which are 'blended' into the mission cycle.

Before each mission you can access the mission planner which allows you to adjust the number of aircraft in the mission package, weapon loads and the auto generated aircraft waypoints.

You can also alter your persistent fleet waypoints. This includes assignments to individual ships so if you want to send a couple of frigates out as 'radar pickets' or take part in a combined air and sea bombardment of an island then you have that capability.

Here are a couple of shots of the mission planner..

CAP2%2B2015-09-20%2B14-45-26-71.png

You can see the merchant maritime traffic following sea lanes through the Straits. You must protect these throughout the campaign. If you cannot protect them and declare the Straits closed this will count towards campaign failure.

CAP2%2B2015-09-20%2B14-45-09-70.png

There are numerous strategies you can follow within the campaign which leads to a significant amount of replayability(is that a word?). So, do you close the Straits on day one? Focus on the islands? Send the fleet to the Straits? Keep the fleet together? It's up to you.

Really looking forward to it!:thumbup:

Deutsche DCS-Flughandbücher

SYSSpecs: i7-4790K @4GHz|GA-Z97X-SLI|16GB RAM|ASUS GTX1070|Win10 64bit|TrackIR5|TM Warthog/Saitek Pro Pedals

• 1 month later...

Combat Air Patrol 2 (News ONLY, not discussion)

Post from the 20th October :

Ok so you've spotted we didn't release on September 25th ;)

We are still here and CAP2 will definitely be with you very soon! The EA version is just about there - we are almost done testing and making some final tweaks - as soon as we have a cast iron date you will be the first to know - it wont be long - we promise!

// can't wait :)

• 4 weeks later...

Dev blog post from Monday, 30 November 2015:

C#/DX9 to C++/DX11

Apologies it's been a while since my last post but I've been locked away in a small, dark room converting the ~90k lines of the CAP2 codebase.

Previously CAP2 was XNA based, written in C# and using a DX9 level graphics API. By converting to C++ and using DX11 we get a slight CPU performance bump and a major graphics performance boost through efficient graphics buffer reuse and improved shader capabilities. Basically we can eliminate some duplicated draw calls and shader workarounds we'd previously employed.

The other major benefit to the conversion is much simpler and more efficient integration with API's such as:

1. TrackIR
  2. Oculus
  3. FMOD (3D Audio)
  4. RakNet (Multiplayer)
  5. Steam

We'll release to Early Access with TrackIR, Steam integration and FMOD. Oculus then multiplayer will follow.

As for release dates I've been burned a couple of times in the past with those so we'll give one when we have a release build in hand with just marketing & Steam store tasks to complete. I won't be adding any new features before then, so no Zeppelins or other crazy requests to delay things :)

So, having taken a bit of pain with the time taken for the conversion it puts us in much better shape for the future with improved performance and API integration.

Posted by Ed Scio at 09:47

SYSSpecs: i7-4790K @4GHz|GA-Z97X-SLI|16GB RAM|ASUS GTX1070|Win10 64bit|TrackIR5|TM Warthog/Saitek Pro Pedals

• 2 months later...

From their Facebook:

Hi Guys, We are pleased to say the dx11 c++ conversion is complete and we are now moving on to steam integration, TrackIR support and gameplay polishing and tweaking. Thanks for your continued patience.

The conversion has increased performance noticeably and we have it running well on our in house testing laptop. So we are confident it's going to be a smooth experience, even if you don't have a top end gaming machine.

• 2 weeks later...

From Faye Scio:

Hello

We are pleased to say the TrackIR support is now complete and working well. We will be releasing more videos shortly but you can see the first one here. Enjoy!

@sim155games

facebook.com/combatairpatrol2

Thanks for your continued support and patience.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Combat Air Patrol2 Pilot Cam Footage

Almost there.............

Hey guys

Sorry for the lack of updates - we are in mega crunch mode, so busy trying to get it out to you all....................a little polishing and final debugging now that's all............We will try to be a little more active on here :)

The confusion with the release date earlier this month was just an oversight on our part in the back end of Steam, we are still on track for Sping. We are hoping to have a release date for you shortly, but as previously said, we've been burnt there a couple of times before so we want to have it in hand before we announce it.

Thanks for your support and patience - it will be worth the wait!

Cheers

Edited by EagleEye

• 1 month later...
And it will cost 29$

Hi everyone!

As launch is fast approaching we thought we had better let you know how much CAP2 will cost. The Early Access price will be $29.99. Its worth noting that Steam converts the price for different regions based on factors other than exchange rate - so for example the UK price will be £22.99 and the Euro price €27.99, both are slightly more than the current exchange rate. Some regions will be less,

• 1 month later...