TFC/ED Newsletter

MTFDarkEagle

I will purchase all upcoming products, whether I like them or not. Just to make sure that ED will still keep develope those things even when I am an old and grey man.

You know, that doesn't have to be a good idea as if everyone would buy the module they don't want or like, just to support the developer to create what they actually want sometimes in "near" future, it might as well give impression to developer that those modules are popular (which would be incorrect) and might very likely continue to create same/similar in future... which will leave everyone in cold as they will then keep getting what they don't want or like... so be very carefull what you wish for there and if your "investment" will have wanted returns ;)

No longer active in DCS...

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure there will be another DCS Jet after this update, that said, I'm fine with the DCS A-10C for another couple of years.

Combat-Helo has just moved up to #1 in my list of sims to look forward to. It may not be a fast jet, but at least we know what it is, and have an idea of what is included with it.

i7-12700k, 32GB Ram, RTX 3060 12GB, TrackIR 5, Lots of SSD Space, etc etc

DCS World - All the cool modules

For now its not important to know if it will be F-18C or F-18E. Also Mustang, Nevada, FC3 or CA releases are not so important.

For now this is most important:

Open Beta Testing for Patches Coming

To better promote community involvement and have a much larger testing base, future DCS product patches will be available in beta version prior to final release. We hope this move will allow all customer voices to be heard prior to releasing a new patch and flush out any missed problems during internal testing. The next two patches will be for A-10C and Black Shark 2.

[/Quote]IMO new features and modules are useless if the DCS platfrom is unstable as it is on 1.1.1.1.

But maybe the next 2 patches (open beta :detective:) will be better then all 11 before. :D

Most important in this announcement for me personally, along with the decision to hold open beta in the future is the vision of the original "core"/modular system we were promised with the release of DCS: BS. If this is true we will no longer be seeing things like BS2, constant updating of modules to bring them up to speed with the rest and broken (multiplayer) compatibilities. We should probably see regular/periodic DCS: Core* updates that will be used by all available modules.

In that state, the whole DCS project will become A LOT easier to maintain, patch and it won't be necessary to reintroduce new features to every single module.

*DCS: Core is my vision of main project, which will include all available modules in one single setup.

Wishlist: DCS: MiG29M/CMT | DCS: MiG25/31 | DCS: MiG-23MLD | DCS: F16CJ

At the same time there's a huge pool of people who may like a particular module even though others do not. That happens a lot. Some modules may be plain un-popular, others might be popular with only part of a crowd, etc. A WW2 warbird is unlikely to be unpopular over all, but who knows.

You know, that doesn't have to be a good idea as if everyone would buy the module they don't want or like, just to support the developer to create what they actually want sometimes in "near" future, it might as well give impression to developer that those modules are popular (which would be incorrect) and might very likely continue to create same/similar in future... which will leave everyone in cold as they will then keep getting what they don't want or like... so be very carefull what you wish for there and if your "investment" will have wanted returns ;)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

The next DCS Jet

This DCS jet aircraft is still in its early stages and a lot can still change, even the aircraft itself. As such, we will not be announcing what aircraft this is until it is much further along.

I guess ED hasn't cottoned on yet, everyone else in the community knows what it is. Perhaps this is why it's taking so long. Someone should pm WAGs and let him know what aircraft they're looking at. :D

If it really is up in the air then a great philosophy is 'if you can't come up with an answer on what your doing then play safe and, GO FLANKER!!!!'

I like to have my cake and eat it.

"[51☭] FROSTIE" #55

51st PVO "BISONS"

Fastest MiG pilot in the world - TCR'10

https://100kiap.org

I like to have my cake and eat it.

That would be TM-Toad!!! :D

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

+1

For now its not important to know if it will be F-18C or F-18E. Also Mustang, Nevada, FC3 or CA releases are not so important.

For now this is most important:

IMO new features and modules are useless if the DCS platfrom is unstable as it is on 1.1.1.1.

But maybe the next 2 patches (open beta :detective:) will be better then all 11 before. :D

+1

Eagerly awaiting the next beta patch...

Most important in this announcement for me personally, along with the decision to hold open beta in the future is the vision of the original "core"/modular system we were promised with the release of DCS: BS.

That was actually something else I was going to bring up but chose not to since I didn't have actual quotes handy.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who remembers this.

I guess ED hasn't cottoned on yet, everyone else in the community knows what it is. Perhaps this is why it's taking so long. Someone should pm WAGs and let him know what aircraft they're looking at. :D

Where's the official post????

The only way to make sense out of change is to plunge into it, move with it, and join the dance.

"Me, the 13th Duke of Wybourne, here on the ED forums at 3 'o' clock in the morning, with my reputation. Are they mad.."

https://ko-fi.com/joey45

... The next DCS Jet

This DCS jet aircraft is still in its early stages and a lot can still change, even the aircraft itself....

I'm confused and a bit disappointed. I understand that you don't want to communicate over it. If you don't even know what aircraft to model... ;-)

Ok, wait and see. For the rest, I'll continue to enjoy DCS A10c and wait for the upcoming Nevada-EGDE and then the next 'modern US fixed wing'.

Edit: The core-based system is a great plus. Thanks:thumbup:

Edited by Cedaway

DCS Wish: Turbulences affecting surrounding aircraft...

[sIGPIC] [/sIGPIC]

Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3P - Intel Core i5 6600K - 16Gb RAM DDR4-2133 - Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 G1 Gaming - 8 Go - 2 x SSD Crucial MX300 - 750 Go RAID0 - Screens: HP OMEN 32'' 2560x1440 + Oculus Rift CV1 - Win 10 - 64bits - TM WARTHOG #889 - Saitek Pro Rudder.

Perhaps Seven-G F-18 could be somehow put into the DCS engine

Moving to Core-Based System

Not only will this allow previous and future DCS aircraft to be fully integrated, but it will also allow 3rd party content to be easily integrated into the DCS series.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

First to Fight, First to Strike.

Most important in this announcement for me personally, along with the decision to hold open beta in the future is the vision of the original "core"/modular system we were promised with the release of DCS: BS.

That was actually something else I was going to bring up but chose not to since I didn't have actual quotes handy.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who remembers this.

Nothing is ever "Promised". Aspirations for a product are stated. No Promises have ever given by ED.

Nate

As much as I would like a corebased system, I hope that further modules will not be restricted by the cores limitations. Sure, the core can/will be updated and hopefully is relative easy extensible then. I can imagine that this alone is a huge task.

Combined Arms and Flaming Cliffs 3 Update

Work also moved forward on these two products and we have some very interesting and fun new features in work for both products. More on those later.

The most interesting part for me so far. Caaan`t wait for the CA addon.

Deutsche DCS-Flughandbücher

SYSSpecs: i7-4790K @4GHz|GA-Z97X-SLI|16GB RAM|ASUS GTX1070|Win10 64bit|TrackIR5|TM Warthog/Saitek Pro Pedals

As much as I would like a corebased system, I hope that further modules will not be restricted by the cores limitations. Sure, the core can/will be updated and hopefully is relative easy extensible then. I can imagine that this alone is a huge task.

I think advantages of core-based system easily prevail over disadvantages. Even if we have only two DSC-modules now (3rd on the way), a lot of work must be invested into "compatibility patches" and it would increase with every new addition. Actually, I'm surprised ED drifted away from "core-based, pluggable modules" system, which they announced with DCS:BS a few years ago and then silently abandoned...

I think advantages of core-based system easily prevail over disadvantages. Even if we have only two DSC-modules now (3rd on the way), a lot of work must be invested into "compatibility patches" and it would increase with every new addition. Actually, I'm surprised ED drifted away from "core-based, pluggable modules" system, which they announced with DCS:BS a few years ago and then silently abandoned...

To be precise, it wasn't "announced", it was stated as being the ambition. It always was the ambition (I think this is at least one of the reasons why Launcher.exe exists as a separate executable, actually, but I don't know this as a fact), but it turned out to be harder to do than first expected.

If I were to guess (again, this is not something I know as a fact, just me making guesses), the problems around the black shark compat patch (basically having to do it as a separate payware to cover the costs) basically showed that the problems and (I assume) costs of implementing the core based system basically had to be accepted as a "lesser evil" from an economic standpoint. Exactly how the implementation challenges change because of it is something I wouldn't be qualified to say anything about, but I would guess that "lesser evil" is a good expression there as well.

Oh, and Leafer, I suspect one of the reasons this page has relatively few pages to it is that there's comments about the newsletter spread over several threads. :P

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

To be precise, it wasn't "announced", it was stated as being the ambition...

Let me refresh your memory:

"...Following the Ka-50 “Black Shark”, TFC/Eagle Dynamics will introduce additional aircraft modules to the “DCS” world like the A-10A “Warthog”, AH-64A “Apache”, and other aircraft at the same exacting level of detail. Each of these aircraft will be available in retail and online and can be purchased as stand-alone simulations or integrated with other modules. It will also be possible to purchase each aircraft as an add-on at a reduced price for consumers that have already purchased a DCS module..."

While not talking exactly about DCS-core and DCS-modules it still talks about "modules to the DCS world". It also gives option of "either stand-alone or integrated module", which again is not true now because DCS-parts are released first as stand-alone simulators, and later modified to be compatible with those resleased previously...

Take this not as criticism. I'm just a little dissapointed by the way how this very ambicious project slipped a little "of the track". But I'm pleased to see there is some effort in ED to put it back on the right path...

Honestly, this model of stand-alone simulators was not sustainable even in medium-time perspective, because from each other dcs-part the amount of "compatibility work" increases. It was only question of time when ED abandones it, or let DCS "die of beauty"...

Rhinox, look at that more closely.

That actually describes pretty much exactly what happened with only very small differences... ;)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

Rhinox, look at that more closely.

That actually describes pretty much exactly what happened with only very small differences... ;)

Sorry Rhinox, I think I have to agree with EterealN. This particular (quoted) FAQ has been created by ED back in the days when DCS was born. According to ED and their own universe, an announcement is somethings that already exists and can not be changed anymore, and nothings what might be availabale someday (even if the term "will" has been used).

Dont forget Wags point: Everythings is subject to change...

Edited by MemphisBelle

DCS-Tutorial-Collection       

BlackSharkDen - Helicopter only

Specs:: ASrock Z790 Pro RS; Intel i5-13600K @5,1Ghz; 64GB DDR5 RAM; RTX 3080 @10GB; Corsair RMX Serie 750; 2x SSD 850 EVO 1x860 EVO 500GB 1x nvme M.2 970 EVO 1TB; 1x nvme M.2 980 Pro 2TB+ 3 TB HDD

Hardware: Oculus Rift S; HOTAS Warthog; Saitek Rudder Pedals, K-51 Collective