StarForce AAA Technology on Warthog

StarForce

to the post above, yes i agree maybe a little less sensitive might help,

a firmware update or flashing of hardware should not be considered a change.

Hopefully ED and Starforce will allow us to backup the activation key so as not to reactivate in case of a reformat.

:thumbup:

unless something has drastically changed

it's already possible by saving your reg key once activated,

this way a format will not waste an activation.

you simply restore the reg key afterwards

Edited by G3

People, the new version is:

Simple enough:Q: Will DCS: A-10C use copy protection?

A: Yes, it will use the new userfriendly StarForce ProActive AAA Technology.

You will no longer have a fixed number of activations, but in an effort to prevent piracy the system does limit the number of activations per month. Your DCS A-10C serial number will initially have 8 activations and when they all are spent, 1 activation is added automatically once per 31 days (effectively "refilling" your serial number).

StarForce ProActive AAA Technology does not install any drivers on your PC. It works as an integrated part of the DCS files but has no special priviliges in your system.

For more information, please see this thread: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=59002

Technically you will never run out - unless you sit there and count the activations for the sake of 'owning activations'.

Your game and install should be taken care of and be working - at all times.

In very rare cases you probably have to contact support - so ED and SF can improve the protection for future version - and to solve your 'special' problem.

All in all - this is a HUGE step towards in protecting your interest as a consumer.

Edited by Panzertard

The mind is like a parachute. It only works when it's open | The important thing is not to stop questioning

People, the new version is:

Technically you will never run out - unless you sit there and count the activations for the sake of 'owning activations'.

Your game and install should be taken care of and be working - at all times.

In very rare cases you probably have to contact support - so ED and SF can improve the protection for future version - and to solve your 'special' problem.

All in all - this is a HUGE step towards in protecting both your interest as a consumer.

Bravo :clap_2:

I'm unsure, but I'll ask around.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

Sorry for being slow, but it is Monday...

I have read through the thread, twice, and can't get if it only starts replenishing activations after you have spent all of them (as in you have 0 left) or if it starts to replenish at once? as in if you have 8 and use one, so that you now have 7, will it go back to 8 in 31 days?

Technically it's not important how many activations you got - but that you can easilly activate your game even after several failed attempts. From what I've decoded with the info we got so far, it seems that you need to reach 0 or so, before the replenish will work. I could be wrong of course.

Thinking "number of activations, oh dear, I lost 2 activations" is looking at the problem from the wrong angle.

It's wether you can activate after reinstalling your Windows which matters. Even when you have spent all your 8 activations.

Even then, if the replenish fails for some odd web/server problem - you can still contact support and get them to fix it.

Again - do not focus blindly on the number of activations, you didn't buy a 8-pack of activations - you bought a license to run the software on 1 PC. :)

The mind is like a parachute. It only works when it's open | The important thing is not to stop questioning

Uhm, I don't want to appear to be mean or anything, but you guys do realize that this system has already been cracked? Please stop screwing us customers by putting all this Draconian DRM protection on your games. The truth is, those who want to back you will, and those who don't, won't. Mostly the pirates are poor kids with a lot of time on their hands who never would have bought the game anyway. Others who download the crack bought the game, but want the DRM off (i.e. ME ). So you see, the pirates in reality never cost you a dime. Your just wasting your money on schemes that are so easily cracked. Anyone that can read assembler and work with the registry, can crack DRM with ease.

Why not please your customers, and let them play the game, instead of spending all their time fighting the DRM? Their the only ones your causing problems to. The pirates and smart people play your sims DRM free.

In other words, the guys at StarFarce are just taking your money and laughing :megalol:. I hope you will stop giving it to them, and put it back into your awesome sims. Those who like your sims will support you.

Edited by Logan9773
  • Like 1

Logan, this thread is not a discussion about the general merits of DRM's.

To put it like this: the system protected the previous titles for the time required to be effective. If you think the pirates don't have problems you are quite mistaken. ;)

And that's as far as that discussion will go here. Feel free to discuss the particular system in use with Warthog since that is the actual topic, but piracy discussions and such will not happen.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

|
| Life of a Game Tester

In my opinion all titles have to be updated with Starforce AAA.

This will relax people like me from increased risk of keeping FC2,BS,A10C and future titles on the same system. Otherwise this will be an angifted gift.

Edited by sungsam

DCS F16C 52+ w JHMCS ! DCS AH64D Longbow !

• 2 weeks later...

Multiple Installs

Why not allow it to be installed on 2 computers without using an additional activation? I have my own computer lab in my basement, of 14 computers. I use two for gaming and own multiple copies of every game, so I am legal.

I bought Medal of Honor and I can install on up too five machines. To me this is appealing. I would love to only buy one copy and install on both, so I could invite a friend over to play online.

Just a thought.....

Fred :smilewink:

Intel i7-12700K, 128 GB RAM, 3080 TI, 26 TB of Storage

Installation on multiple computers without use of an activation is not possible for technical reasons, AFAIK. It would basically have to be re-done completely from scratch since hardware code wouldn't work. And besides, what you are basically asking for is a license for use on two computers, and there already is a solution to that: purchase two licenses. ;)

Think of it like this: you're not allowed by Microsoft to purchase a 1-machine license for Windows and then use it on two machines at the same time. Same thing here.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

|
| Life of a Game Tester

• 2 months later...
I have only one question:

I can change my computer every six months continuing using my license, or every time I change my pc, I need to buy a new license ?

Thanks.

You will continue to use the same licence. You will however use an activation every time you change your PC (8 allocated on purchase of licence).

Your activations are also automatically replenished, meaning that you will never run out of activations.

• Like 1

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

I have to admit this is a great feature, I was not a big fan of starforce, but this new system will help ensure you can continue gaming no matter what system upgrades you make.

You will continue to use the same licence. You will however use an activation every time you change your PC (8 allocated on purchase of licence).

Your activations are also automatically replenished, meaning that you will never run out of activations.

Very good, thanks. :smilewink:

• 2 months later...

Hello, i've recently purchased this game and have found it amazing so far. I've generated great interest amongst my LAN friends, but have a question from them that actually would also affect me.

I play all of my games on my powerful home PC, but i've got a good laptop specifically for lanning, as do others i LAN with. From my understanding, the only way i can play on my laptop is to deactivate the game on the PC, then activate it on my laptop, and then reverse the process when i get home from the LAN, until i run out of activations/deactivations, in which case i will have to wait for the following month to do a single switch between PC and laptop again. Is this correct?

Is there any other easy way to manage lanning scenarios like this? From what's discussed i understand the process isn't as easy as other Steam games (where any game you purchase from Steam can be run on any of your computers using your Steam account, while your Steam account can only be logged on from one machine at a time). However, with this game, i'm wondering if there is "any" way for my friends and i to easily LAN with our laptops, while using our main PCs at home? I've already nearly convinced a few lanners to join me in co-op in this game if i teach them the ropes when they get it, but them getting it is all hinging on if we actually CAN LAN with our laptops!:)

Thanks for any advice.

defiant:

You can install on several machines and allow both installs to be active. What you many not do is use both machines at the same time. So usage examples that could apply to you:

Install on desktop.

Install on laptop.

Play on desktop.

Then hop into car, drive to LAN

Play on laptop.

etc

That there is totally okey. Nothing to worry about. What is not allowed is:

Install on desktop.

Install on laptop.

bring both to LAN.

Use desktop as server while playing on laptop.

This would require that you have two licenses.

Note also that you do need to have an internet connection at the LAN (for talking to the master server).

Finally: the reason why the Steam version has this system, and not the standard Steam system, is that Valve did not have a 64-bit implementation of Steam's integrated DRM available.

If you have more questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

|
| Life of a Game Tester

• 3 weeks later...

Sungsam, I don't know. I'm not sure what type of work would be required to make that happen, but at least in the case of FC2 I would imagine that a patch would be required for that to happen, so in that case a decision to develop a compatibility upgrade for it would probably be required.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

|
| Life of a Game Tester