Dynamic Weather Overview

Yo-Yo

^^^^

You mean like, eh, knowing meteorology? :D

Yup, that's exactly what i mean! :lol:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"Great minds think alike; idiots seldom differ.":pilotfly:

i5 3750K@4.3Ghz, MSI Z77A GD55, 8GB DDR3, Palit GTX 670, 24" Benq@1920*1080, X52 Pro, Win 7 64bit.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nope. nope, you're wrong ... we definitely want you to exercise and drop those calories. Effort required ;)

You obviously don't keep up with the recent dominating trend in software design, or rather marketing. The key word is: - e f f o r t l e s s l y - :smilewink:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Forums suck at delivering sarcasm :D I thought >the way< I used to deliver assistance to newcommers clearly states that I despise that invalid approach (and source of much of bad things, not only in software related areas) and it could only have been a mockery of the appraoch.

OnionTV never fails ;) 9BnLbv6QYcA

I have nothing specific and on-topic to say. Maybe only that I hope people will realize of how huge importance the atmosphere dynamics modeling (wind, turbulences, weather etc.) is to a >>flight<< simulator. Atmosphere modeling limited to 10% criples the simulator flight experience (if we're focusing on average to poor weather conditions range) to... well, maybe not to 10%, but it cripples it by a lot, to keep it strictly scientific ;)

So, simulation feature + unclear instruction = < happy consumer?

Non sequitur. Your facts are uncoordinated. It does not compute.

You misunderstood:

well, maybe not to 10%, but it cripples it by a lot, to keep it strictly scientific

Blue is a sarcasm (again) related only to the red part.

On general - the weather engine will have a proper GUI section to it, obviously.

In a later release of this feature it would be great to have something like a realtime graphic weather forecast map (like on TV), according to your settings. It could provide clouds, rain/snow, winds and temperatures. That way you would have quick feedback of what happens after you're changing parameters.

Just an idea...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Asus ROG STRIX Z390-F Gaming, Intel Core i7 9700k , 32gb Corsair DDR4-3200

Asus RTX 2070 super, Samsung 970 EVO Plus M2, Win10 64bit, Acer XZ321QU (WQHD)

TM HOTAS Warthog, SAITEK Rudder Pedals, TIR 5

• 4 weeks later...

I've never experienced your saving problem - and I've just been using the quicksave multiple times today.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Want to check on the weather in the Black sea area

http://sochi.com/webcamera/3 for the realism buffs you can set your weather to local conditions.

Hows that for dynamic:lol:

i5 8600k@5.2Ghz, Asus Prime A Z370, 32Gb DDR4 3000, GTX1080 SC, Oculus Rift CV1, Modded TM Warthog Modded X52 Collective, Jetseat, W10 Pro 64

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Yo-Yo,

Is there a chance of getting something like cloud coverage overlay in the ME so that we can see what a monster we have created with Dynamic Weather? :)

Will the cyclones start moving when the mission is started (ie. dynamically push/pull each other)?

Is it possible currently to generate such weather with DW that we are forced to do ILS aproaches? So far all cloud bases have been at about 5000' or above. I have noticed scattered clouds below that altitude, but rarely.

It would be nice to have ... more varied weather in this respect- even weather that develops dynamically during the mission, such as for example creation of cumulonimbus and resulting thunderstorm. I know it isn't easy, of course, and may not ever happen, but I am just curious regarding the prospects of such a thing :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Yo-Yo,

Is it possible currently to generate such weather with DW that we are forced to do ILS aproaches? So far all cloud bases have been at about 5000' or above. I have noticed scattered clouds below that altitude, but rarely.

It would be nice to have ... more varied weather in this respect- even weather that develops dynamically during the mission, such as for example creation of cumulonimbus and resulting thunderstorm. I know it isn't easy, of course, and may not ever happen, but I am just curious regarding the prospects of such a thing :)

I combine the cloud base and thickness with fog for a more difficult approach. Agreed it would be nice to see thunderstorm develop:)

i5 8600k@5.2Ghz, Asus Prime A Z370, 32Gb DDR4 3000, GTX1080 SC, Oculus Rift CV1, Modded TM Warthog Modded X52 Collective, Jetseat, W10 Pro 64

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I don't necessarily need fog but yes, it could work. I just recall an RL landing where we dropped out of the cloud base at 300' AGL, just barely above buildings ... that's the sort of thing I'm looking to replicate primarily :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

What would be nice is if contrails weren't always the same, starts at 26.5k and ends at 40k. In falcon, it started at different heights. Although I can't speak to much about F4 since I didn't get into it that much.

i7-4820k @ 3.7, Windows 7 64-bit, 16GB 1866mhz EVGA GTX 970 2GB, 256GB SSD, 500GB WD, TM Warthog, TM Cougar MFD's, Saitek Combat Pedals, TrackIR 5, G15 keyboard, 55" 4K LED

• ED Team
Yo-Yo,

Is there a chance of getting something like cloud coverage overlay in the ME so that we can see what a monster we have created with Dynamic Weather? :)

Will the cyclones start moving when the mission is started (ie. dynamically push/pull each other)?

1. Yes, we can add cloud info to the points where winds are indicated. I think, it's not very hard to implement.

2. They are ready to move... I have it moving, but before they start in DCS we must make clouds moving and dynamic clouds generation/dissolving.

3. What type of clouds is desirable?

4. See item 2 - as soon as we have good graphic representation of dynamic clouds.

Ніщо так сильно не ранить мозок, як уламки скла від розбитих рожевих окулярів

There is nothing so hurtful for the brain as splinters of broken rose-coloured spectacles.

Ничто так сильно не ранит мозг, как осколки стекла от разбитых розовых очков (С) Me

1. Yes, we can add cloud info to the points where winds are indicated. I think, it's not very hard to implement.

2. They are ready to move... I have it moving, but before they start in DCS we must make clouds moving and dynamic clouds generation/dissolving.

4. See item 2 - as soon as we have good graphic representation of dynamic clouds.

All that sounds really promising!

But Slacker also had some really good points! Especially the option to get weather information for certain positions (maybe including forecast) to make them available in a mission-briefing.

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Asus ROG STRIX Z390-F Gaming, Intel Core i7 9700k , 32gb Corsair DDR4-3200

Asus RTX 2070 super, Samsung 970 EVO Plus M2, Win10 64bit, Acer XZ321QU (WQHD)

TM HOTAS Warthog, SAITEK Rudder Pedals, TIR 5

Thank you Yo-Yo!

For #3, I mean low overcast. The goal is to force an ILS aproach, so for example the ability to make the cloud base to go down to 500' (perhaps 0' on rare occasions :) )

It can be the same clouds we have right now, just need to be low. It would be nice of course if it was possible to also optimize them so they didn't murder FPS :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• ED Team
Thank you Yo-Yo!

For #3, I mean low overcast. The goal is to force an ILS aproach, so for example the ability to make the cloud base to go down to 500' (perhaps 0' on rare occasions :) )

It can be the same clouds we have right now, just need to be low. It would be nice of course if it was possible to also optimize them so they didn't murder FPS :)

I would not promise but it seems not to be hard to do.

Ніщо так сильно не ранить мозок, як уламки скла від розбитих рожевих окулярів

There is nothing so hurtful for the brain as splinters of broken rose-coloured spectacles.

Ничто так сильно не ранит мозг, как осколки стекла от разбитых розовых очков (С) Me

It would make the ILS system actually useful if the DW was capable of making very low overcast.

Also, would it be possible to double the meteorological symbol density when/if you implement cloud coverage indication? It is more likely to get a symbol near an airbase or particular place then - this is desirable because a mission maker may want to have a fairly detailed idea of the weather at different aerodromes, as well as the chosen battlefield.

For the same reason, it would also be useful to be able to drag the entire system to position the cloud distribution better.

According to this: http://history.nasa.gov/SP-399/app-e.htm

It is also possible to add cloud base indicator and that too would be useful - specifically symbols C,F,G,J added to the weather symbology would be nice.

A few 'sample systems' representing some weather types would be good as well so that people have some idea of how to create weather. DW is great because it is dynamic, but some knowledge/control over its use is desirable as well :)

And after all this, next step: ATIS ;)

Edited by GGTharos

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Small request while weather is being hmm improved.

All winds reported in mission-editor, briefing screens (written reports) should be unified as true-headings and where the wind is blowing FROM, that includes these rotating knobs that we use in ME weather setup screen, please unify them as FROM and TH.

METARS, AWOS report wind direction as true-headings and FROM.

Tower and other heard radio reports including ATIS give wind direction differently as magnetic-headings and FROM.

ED please.

Edited by Shaman
  • Like 1

51PVO Founding member (DEC2007-)

100KIAP Founding member (DEC2018-)

:: Shaman aka [100☭] Shamansky

tail# 44 or 444

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] 100KIAP Regiment Early Warning & Control officer

My ATIS was always magnetic winds (I think)

This is true. I made a mistake in my post and edited already.

Only time you’ll typically encounter any kind of true headings will be during the planning phase of your flight.

Edited by Shaman

51PVO Founding member (DEC2007-)

100KIAP Founding member (DEC2018-)

:: Shaman aka [100☭] Shamansky

tail# 44 or 444

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] 100KIAP Regiment Early Warning & Control officer

• 4 weeks later...

I am finally getting around to really experimenting with this -- and yes, it is real hard to create any kind of precipitation in this DW. But it is pretty cool, I like using it, and I certain prefer it to preset seasonal weather conditions.

I guess it really makes a difference what the season is, when trying to generate some kind of this cloud cover or rain. I'm using Spring to start (this may evolve into a campaign) and I still can't quite find the right settings to come up with this kind of weather.

Additional comments & observations ---

What in the heck are those little musical notes or flag poles that are posted all over the map, when viewing the map in the DW menu? Damn, wish I knew the proper term for those symbols, but that seems to be the key.... or it does at least in the last couple missions I have looked at. If they have 1 or 2 little stripes on them, then you got more or less clear weather, with maybe some fluffy clouds. Three stripes and OK, now we have the beginnings of some overcast cloud cover, kinda grey but still just broken. Get three and a half stripes and its starts to drizzle, maybe just a few drops of rain. Look at the map where it has four full stripes and its pretty much raining there, but still it isn't truly socked-in overcast. Maybe there is a five-stripe flag that appears in some weather patterns, seen one yet.

So is that it? More stripes on the flag = more weather/precipitation? I dunno, sure seems to correlate pretty good so far. Maybe some others will try it to test this.

Now there isn't really a good way to manipulate the location and type (intensity?) of those weather flags, for lack of a better term. You just gotta pick whatever number of Baric Systems you feel like, and just keep on generating those pressures. Generate, look at the map to see where your flags are at in relation to your mission area. Not what you want, hit generate again. Rinse and repeat.

Sure does seem to be a correlation after testing a half dozen times.

Ripcord

Edited by Ripcord
spelling & more testing observations

[sIGPIC]sigpic65507_1.gif[/sIGPIC]

Another interesting approach to making dynamic weather more intuitive and easy to use would be to reverse the current process. Instead of having the mission designer prescribe a pressure distribution, allow him/her to define weather conditions (wind speed/direction, precipitation, temperature) at a few specific locations/altitudes and then make the system calculate a distribution to match these settings.

I. e. the user supplies the end result (suitably parameterized and simplified) that he is looking for rather than having to vary the underlying mechanism by trial and error. Kind of like inverse airfoil design methods where you don't specify the geometry and then find the velocity/pressure distribution, as you would conventionally expect. Instead, you set certain parameters to specify the desired velocity/pressure distribution (for example, based on the performance characteristics you want or the known distribution of another airfoil which you wish to use as a starting point) from which the software then calculates the geometry required to satisfy your input.

This would probably be harder to code than the current approach (a lot of effort would have to be made to find usable ways to parameterize weather patterns for intuitive user input), but *much* more efficient for the mission designer who could more quickly get the desired result with far less meteorological knowledge.

Edited by Trident

What in the heck are those little musical notes or flag poles that are posted all over the map, when viewing the map in the DW menu?

Ripcord

Those are simplified wind station models telling wind direction and speeds. A half tick mark is 5 knots, a full is 10. once you get to 50 there is a triangular one that means 50, and so it continues. Kind of like counting where you put four tick marks, then cross it for five, then start new. So, 65 knots would be a triangle with one full tick mark and one half tick mark.

This graphic may help.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Wind_barbs.gif

Edited by Newt
  • Like 1

Live every week like it's Shark Week. :D

There are professor made lessons for aviation meteorology out there, but I have a feeling that I should not link to them as they are made for paying university students.

For those out there who are still in school and have a serious interest (even if it's just serious interest as a hobby) in aviation, I highly recommend taking an intro meteorology course. They are very interesting and one can learn a lot for aviation and just for casual weather prediction or even just having a better understanding of what the meteorologists on tv are talking about. If you can take one in an aviation dept. then that's even better.

Personally, I learned from Alan Borho, who co-wrote this article about freezing rain and Doppler radar, etc. A team he worked with also flew through some mammatus clouds which was rather interesting to hear about.

By the way, who else is watching shark week? :P

Edited by Newt

Live every week like it's Shark Week. :D