Wingman not engaging no legitimate reason?

uniform

I have searched a few forums on Wingmen not engaging, and have not found anything helpful. I cannot find any reason my wingman wont engage, I have even tried reinstalling, that helped for about a day. He will say roger, approach target as if on a run, at the point he should say engaging or weapon away, he says rejoin. cannot be my system, everything is well above minimum requirements.

I am playing single player missions on the Hard lvl (only one). Going up against SPAAA Zsu-23's at an altitude of 10,000+ asked to use guided bombs, just started bingo fuel=no, radio is correct, weapons are full (wingman at least) asking for correct weapon usage, in range, checked the score page and F-2 wingmans aircraft (not cheating if you cannot ask), no sign of damage, hasn't even been hit, he is not RTB, Cant use mission editors in single player "Missions", Set SPI to broadcast, also set SPI to not broadcast, Ive asked him to rejoin formation and it appears he has (had never announced rejoined before/after install). Does anyone know what I am missing, or is this just how the AI works? He has hit everything I ask using guns/rockets.

I have been watching what he has been doing, after he agreed to rejoin, I was in level flight, he has about a 10 degree nose up angle, just to my starboard. I thought maybe he hasn't joined formation yet, let it run 3 minutes at about 16xs time, and he is still in the same position. Don't know if this has anything to do with it. Again, I have never received a joined formation.

Okay, so after attempting to re-create the scenario, and save a track; I started to experience weird track activity such as a death that didn't occur, and an end to mission that didn't happen. I started thinking; {I understand that a track is not stored in the profiles until it is created} what if I do have corruption? In my Saved games folder.

Since I just reinstalled the platform, I am deleting my saved profile and starting over. Thought I would give this a try before asking you what do you see me doing wrong. Hopefully this will be the end of that. If not, I will post another comment when it is recreated or I will indicate that it is not re-creatable. The only file I am keeping from my C:>User Name>Saved Games>DCS is everything saved in the Config file. Hopefully that is not the source of corruption; if there is any present.

Edited by uniform
Left out information

Sabre, Thank-you Kontiuka is correct though, that was the first thing I had looked at which had led me to believe I have a technical issue whether the 'technicality' is me or not. I do appreciate you providing the link though.

Correction, I am not playing missions, I noticed the issue playing the Quick Action? Once I can recreate the scenario I will save a track and upload it. Hopefully I wont have to... If I am not able to recreate it tonight, it may be about a week before I can due to work.

I had deleted all my saved files started a new game, and then added only the Config file from my previous installation {Don't want to set up my stick and G-13 again}. I have noticed some weird activity with the track recording things that didn't happen and such, so out of curiosity I was wondering if there is anything in my 'saved' folder that is corrupt or otherwise causing the complication.

Sabre, Thank-you Kontiuka is correct though, that was the first thing I had looked at which had led me to believe I have a technical issue whether the 'technicality' is me or not. I do appreciate you providing the link though.

Correction, I am not playing missions, I noticed the issue playing the Quick Action? Once I can recreate the scenario I will save a track and upload it. Hopefully I wont have to... If I am not able to recreate it tonight, it may be about a week before I can due to work.

I had deleted all my saved files started a new game, and then added only the Config file from my previous installation {Don't want to set up my stick and G-13 again}. I have noticed some weird activity with the track recording things that didn't happen and such, so out of curiosity I was wondering if there is anything in my 'saved' folder that is corrupt or otherwise causing the complication.

Don't mess around too much with installation and configuration. The fact is that track playback is far from perfect. It works fine for very simple missions but can be buggy for more complex missions.

And there are problems with the AI logic so don't bang your head against the wall trying to figure out what is wrong. One bug I noticed a while ago is if you tell your wingman to attack with guns, he'll do it fine. But then, after that, he won't go after targets. That's definitely a bug and there are others lurking out there for sure.

Well, I had already Re-installed the game prior to this post, I really wasn't too far playing. I had not moved out of Quick Start or what ever its labeled. I am playing these prior to starting the Campaign for familiarization purposes. Starting over isn't too big of a set back and I was really careful when I placed the Config file so there shouldn't be any corruption there. I probably should add something to my profile, computers is sort of a hobby of mine.

The issues I have seen with the Track though was buggy even with a very simple mission.

Now that you mentioned about the wingman, I think every failure was when he was ordered to use guns . I will keep this in mind when I 'test'. I will test for both of guns and still exists. I didn't see anything in the saved file which would point me to that being corrupt, I have seen stranger issues though with software.

Edited by uniform
unecessary sentance

Hi guys. Here is one interesting thread about wingmans

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=142361

My opinion is that wingmans definitely have room for improvement in future DCS versions.

Here is what I've found:

Wingman refuses to attack when flying on high altitude (about 20000 feet) even I give them order to attack at my SPI.

Wingman often refuses to attack without obvious reason.

Therefore I don't plan the mission to rely on wingmans. The bigger chance for this is the longer I wait to give them the order to attack. So, if there is plenty of enemies to destroy, I found the best to give them attack order as soon as we come to the battlefield.

Wags said that AI improvement is scheduled for DCS World 2.0 so I hope that consequently wingmans logic will get update too.

It would be very helpful that wingman at least provides information why he is unable to attack. I think this would be more realistic behavior.

Edited by marluk
[B]*NOB* Lucky[/B] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Tko vrijedi leti, tko leti vrijedi, tko ne leti ne vrijedi

Don't mess around too much with installation and configuration. The fact is that track playback is far from perfect. It works fine for very simple missions but can be buggy for more complex missions.

And there are problems with the AI logic so don't bang your head against the wall trying to figure out what is wrong. One bug I noticed a while ago is if you tell your wingman to attack with guns, he'll do it fine. But then, after that, he won't go after targets. That's definitely a bug and there are others lurking out there for sure.

Kontiuka,

So, I have played Quick Launch East Georgia Spring Easy and Wingman performed flawlessly. I didn't order him to use guns though.

Next, I moved on to Quick Launch Russian Foothills Fall Easy, I had ordered Wingman to use guns, then rockets. Performed flawlessly. Afterwards I had asked him to use Missiles and got the same result, him running in and then rejoin formation. I quit that mission and restarted.

This time I did not have him use guns, other than him floating out aimlessly into the north forty (I spent some time looking for one ground soldier), he refused to engage. He was hopelessly out of range though, legitimate reason to not engage.

I called him back to formation and went a looking for him. After I had found my lost 'buddy', he performed flawlessly again attacking everything I tasked him to. I think my issue is this bug you speak of after ordering him to use guns.

I will post again if I find other difficulties with Wingman, but for now this seems to be solved. Thank-you for letting me know about the bug with the Wingman being tasked after tasking to use guns. It looks accurate from what I have experienced thus far. I just wish that I can ask him to use guns.

Hi guys. Here is one interesting thread about wingmans

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=142361

My opinion is that wingmans definitely have room for improvement in future DCS versions.

Here is what I've found:

Wingman refuses to attack when flying on high altitude (about 20000 feet) even I give them order to attack at my SPI.

Wingman often refuses to attack without obvious reason.

Therefore I don't plan the mission to rely on wingmans. The bigger chance for this is the longer I wait to give them the order to attack. So, if there is plenty of enemies to destroy, I found the best to give them attack order as soon as we come to the battlefield.

Wags said that AI improvement is scheduled for DCS World 2.0 so I hope that consequently wingmans logic will get update too.

It would be very helpful that wingman at least provides information why he is unable to attack. I think this would be more realistic behavior.

Marluk,

That was an interesting post I have already read. Thanks for letting me know it existed though :thumbup:. You did not know I was aware of it. I had been playing A10C enough to familiarize myself. I have not had the opportunity or reason to go above 20,000 in CAS yet.

That would be nice if an update is going to correct Wingman, being able to to order him to use the gun that is flying or at least to let you know why he cannot engage.

Kuntiuka had pointed out there is a bug that causes Wingman to not engage after tasking guns, IDK if this is what you are experiencing. It does seam so far that is what I am experiencing though. Too early for a difinative yes/no though. You probably already knew this.?.?.?

Edited by uniform
Left comment out

Marluk,

That was an interesting post I have already read. Thanks for letting me know it existed though :thumbup:. You did not know I was aware of it. I had been playing A10C enough to familiarize myself. I have not had the opportunity or reason to go above 20,000 in CAS yet.

That would be nice if an update is going to correct Wingman, being able to to order him to use the gun that is flying or at least to let you know why he cannot engage.

Kuntiuka had pointed out there is a bug that causes Wingman to not engage after tasking guns, IDK if this is what you are experiencing. It does seam so far that is what I am experiencing though. Too early for a difinative yes/no though. You probably already knew this.?.?.?

There were many SAMs down there. After being shot down few times, I've decided to climb high, (around 20000 feet) and kill SAM's with GBU-12s and Mavericks from above. Then I went lower to finish the task.

Anyhow, at high altitude wingman refuses to attack although he had mavericks. The same weapon worked correctly for me in the same condition. When we get lower he had no problem to attack.

This is off-topic, but I think that missions with many SAM's are not very realistic. A-10C is not SEAD pane, nor it is very fast, therefore very vulnerable on SAM attack.

In real life, I believe army sends other SEAD capable units to clear the area of the SAMs before A-10's are coming. If there is moderate probability the enemy have SAM, there are F-16 or F-18 with AGM-88 standby to deal with them.

So, my opinion is that in real life probability that A-10C pilot is forced to attack SAM site is very very low. I understand, there can be exceptions, but generally there is maybe 5% chance or less this will happen.

[B]*NOB* Lucky[/B] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Tko vrijedi leti, tko leti vrijedi, tko ne leti ne vrijedi

I agree with SAM tasking for hawg being unrealistic. As far as I know, the closest they come to that mission profile is taking out remote radar arrays (they did a bunch of that during ODS). In the missions I create there's always a SEAD element that precedes hawg IP. There IS a chance SEAD can fail and the hawg may be required to clean up some minor SEAD.. or a few MANPADs or AAA can show up.. but it's not a common theme. I also provide a radio call to recall SEAD just in case someone who likes to live on the edge flies the mission. People who create their own missions can of course do anything they want.. but I agree with you that there should be some consideration to staying true to the hawg's RL mission profile. In a post zombie apocalypse mission where all the weasel pilots have been eaten.. I would buy the fact that hawgs are tasked SEAD.. but otherwise.. never gonna happen.

It's a good thing that this is Early Access and we've all volunteered to help test and enhance this work in progress... despite the frustrations inherent in the task with even the simplest of software... otherwise people might not understand that this incredibly complex unfinished module is unfinished. /light-hearted sarcasm

I second what StrongHarm is saying, A-10C and SEAD - no go, unless against something with relatively short range, like Gopher or Gaskin, which can easily be taken out with a maverick.

Still, the problem I have when creating missions, is that the AI SEAD flights are so dumb and unreliable, that in most cases I have to just script their attacks. Whenever they are set loose, they will fly in circles or engage wrong targets (though most often they will not shoot a single missile). Perhaps there is a way to make them smarter, but I have not found it so far..

I have not had the opportunity or reason to go above 20,000 in CAS yet.

I doubt you will ever have the means, especially when loaded with ordnance...

This discussion reminded me about A-Bomb's Hog Rules (if you DON'T know who A-Bomb is, you should immediately check the series of books by Jim DeFelice), especially point 4:

1. Never leave base without your wingmate.

2. You can never be too ugly, too low, or too slow.

3. Pay attention to the plane, not the explosion.

4. If God wanted you to fly higher than five hundred feet, he’d have given you an F- 15.

5. For every action by the enemy, there is an opposite and disproportionate reaction— be sure to administer it harshly.

6. The hotter the target, the better the bang.

7. If you can’t read the sign, you’re not close enough to smoke it.

8. Never fire your cannon when taking off unless absolutely necessary.

9. Under no circumstances should you attempt to eat anything with pits during a bombing run.

Edited by baltic_dragon
ce535d_9d347b62819c4372b3c485a4f95d2004~mv2.png

I doubt you will ever have the means, especially when loaded with ordnance...

Almost fully loaded with ordnance, I touch 20k feet in Hog with no problem. Ok top speed is low, but SAM sites and supporting elements were blown away with CBU-105 just like that. :pilotfly:

Some leftovers were cleaned with Mavericks and guns.

Edited by marluk

Kontiuka,

My problem with the Wingman is the bug you described. I cannot task him for guns if I want him to use other weapons later. I have another problem. I am starting a campaign the FAM flight. One out of two things happens. Either I start my engines and all is good; but my controllers wont work. Or I go to start my engines using auto start and they don't spool up. Do you know anything about t

Kontiuka,

My problem with the Wingman is the bug you described. I cannot task him for guns if I want him to use other weapons later. I have another problem. I am starting a campaign the FAM flight. One out of two things happens. Either I start my engines and all is good; but my controllers wont work. Or I go to start my engines using auto start and they don't spool up. Do you know anything about t

Looks like something is broken. What joystick/hotas you use?

Maybe clean install without any mods will help to detect where is the problem.

Looks like something is broken. What joystick/hotas you use?

Maybe clean install without any mods will help to detect where is the problem.

This probably belongs in another forum...

@Marluk

I am using two controllers that makes up my HOTAS. They are both Logitech. G-13 and Extreme 3DPRO. IDK if it is an installation issue. Other than the folder Saved Games>DCS>Input, this is a clean installation.