Set DCS Refresh Rate

My searches have come up empty. Though I continue to search, might as well ask the question.

I'm trying to force DCS to use a 60hz refresh rate. I have 75hz monitors and am able to set Windows refresh rate to 60hz in nVidia control panel, but DCS defaults back to 75hz.

I want 60hz because I enjoy playing with vsync on and 75hz is a bit too high for a stable FPS for my system. 60hz plays really nice (I used to play on a 60hz monitor).

I have not found a place to set the in-game refresh rate as of yet. Anyone know if I'm able to force an in-game refresh rate? Anything that forces all fullscreen programs to 60hz would be even better as all my games default to 75hz and I'd prefer 60hz.

Thanks

My specs:

Windows 7 pro

Intel Core i5 3670k

nVidia GTX 970

8G RAM

search for max fps. Its a lua setting somewhere. I am NOT sure if that translates to vsync rate in full screen mode, but its all I can think to try.

failing that, disable full screen mode. I was surprised I didn't notice a performance penalty when doing so. Vsync still worked.

Custom Pit 476 Recruiting

i9-12900KF, 32 GB DDR5, Gigabyte Aorus Z690 Master, Gigabyte RTX 2080 Ti, 1TB Sabrent Roket 4+ 2x750GB RAID-0, TrackIR 5 /w clip, CRG9 49” Curved Ultrawide Flight Display+15" Touchscreen+17" Gauges display, Thrustmaster Warthog+7.5cm, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, Streamdeck, Butt Kicker and pneumatic G-Seat

Forums Signature V4_500x100_20220716.png

Forums Signature V4_500x100_20221002.png

Place the attached file from below into directory:

c:\users\-userName-\Saved Games\DCS\Config\

If you already do tweak in autoexec.cfg then add:

options.graphics.maxfps = 60

:)

autoexec.cfg

Edited by piXel496
The file is harmless. Just plain txt. The .cfg extension could be a reason for a warning from your browser..

Thanks guys, but I specifically would like to change the refresh rate to 60hz. I want DCS to use 60hz as I prefer vsync at 60hz, not 75hz.

It is just my preference. I don't like tearing and capping DCS at 60fps still produces tearing. Vsync at 75hz is just not as consistent as vsync at 60hz on my system. If it was, I'd be thrilled with 75hz.

Before I upgraded my system, I used to use nvidia's adaptive vsync at half the refresh rate (30hz). I preferred to play with vsync on at 30hz then ranging from 30-60 fps without vsync.

Still haven't figured this out.

Edited by Razi
added info

did you try full screen off, vsync on and windows refrsh rate set to 60?

i9-12900KF, 32 GB DDR5, Gigabyte Aorus Z690 Master, Gigabyte RTX 2080 Ti, 1TB Sabrent Roket 4+ 2x750GB RAID-0, TrackIR 5 /w clip, CRG9 49” Curved Ultrawide Flight Display+15" Touchscreen+17" Gauges display, Thrustmaster Warthog+7.5cm, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, Streamdeck, Butt Kicker and pneumatic G-Seat

did you try full screen off, vsync on and windows refrsh rate set to 60?

Thanks Puma, but this not exactly the solution I'm looking for - though it is one way to have DCS run at 60hz.

Edited by Razi
typo

it would be helpful to know why you don't want that solution, but okay, ill play your game :)

What about editing your supported modes via nvidia? Somewhere in there you can add and remove custom resolutions and refresh rates. If you could convince your video card that it doesn't support 75hz, then dcs would likely take the fastest supported mode.

I have been messing around with custom resolutions, but haven't figured out anything yet. Full-screen programs default to 75hz.

I prefer full-screen to windowed mode, that's all. Remember I'm being picky about refresh rate... :)

or google refreshlock?

Ah ha. Now that you explained WHY you think you need full screen, we can work with you. You can use softh to do bezel correction in windowed mode. Setup will be a little painful, but for these many requirements its the only solution I can think of.

Thanks for your willingness to help me as I am, Puma!

Windowed mode works if I bezel correct my desktop first and have it set to 60hz, but nVidia adaptive vsync does not appear to work with windowed mode. In-game vsync does work and I was able to get my desired 60hz vsync. However, there are downsides to using vsync and I found that nVidia's adaptive vsync reduced these downsides a fair bit - which is what has enabled me to enjoy playing with vsync on.

I'm pretty close to just trying to embrace 75hz, but 75fps just is a tad high for a stable, vsynced, experience for my system. I find my games often hit a minimum of 55fps and range in the 60's a fair bit. Putting vsync at 60hz right in the sweet spot with only a few stutters here and there when dropping below 60fps. However vsync at 75hz tends to stutter a lot more, since the fps will often range below 75fps.

I'm really the kind of person that it sounds like nVidia Gsync was designed for, but the price keeps me away for now (I picked up my three, 1280 x 1024 lcd monitors, from a college trash bin that I'm currently using for nVidia surround!).

Edited by Razi

I'm simply impressed with the fact that someone can achieve a sustained 60FPS without minimizing all their graphics options. I have been locked at 30 for a couple of years,, It looks pretty good at 30, but it does dip from time to time. I cant imagine having a steady 60,,,, lucky you I say!

Windows 10 Pro - 64 Bit / ASUS ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming / AMD 7800X3D / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 64GB DDR5 6000 Ram / SSD M.2 SK hynix Platinum P41 2TB / MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 SUPRIM Liquid X 24G / SteelSeries Arctis 7 Headset /LG-Ultragear 38" IPS LED Ultrawide HD Monitor (3840 x 1600) / Track IR4 / Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Virpil HOTAS VPC Constellation ALPHA-R & VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle

Did you try using adaptive vsync with the max fps set lower? I think that would help with the stutters. If your monitor is 75hz and doesn't support 60hz you will never get a proper vsync running at 60hz.

Pacotito

I7-5820k@4.5 Z99 extreme4 16gb ddr4

520gb ssd. Gigabyte ssc GTX960 SSC 4gb

Windowed mode works if I bezel correct my desktop first and have it set to 60hz, but nVidia adaptive vsync does not appear to work with windowed mode. In-game vsync does work and I was able to get my desired 60hz vsync. However, there are downsides to using vsync and I found that nVidia's adaptive vsync reduced these downsides a fair bit - which is what has enabled me to enjoy playing with vsync on.

I'm not familiar with adaptive vsync, so you've got me there! I read about it a bit. Cool idea. Only possible thought might be: do you have aero disabled? Small chance it needs to be on so NVidia considers the windows base to be 3D. Beyond then, you are close. Adaptive sync at 75 Hz should in theory be similar to 60 even if thats all you can render, so it won't be consistent I suppose, but gotta compromise somewhere I guess. Have fun!

I'm simply impressed with the fact that someone can achieve a sustained 60FPS without minimizing all their graphics options. I have been locked at 30 for a couple of years,, It looks pretty good at 30, but it does dip from time to time. I cant imagine having a steady 60,,,, lucky you I say!

Never underestimate the power of a video card. I upgraded from a similar ATI card to a GTX 970. Not only did I now get to max graphcis settings, but I could nearly do so at 4k, which was a bonus!

I am not the only one waiting for EDGE to be finilized to determine which GPU is best to upgrade to. I will have to find out what this "adaptive sync" is. Never heard of it. My main 30" monitor is 60 hz,, I use another 23" Touchscreen for Helios,,,

Windows 10 Pro - 64 Bit / ASUS ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming / AMD 7800X3D / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 64GB DDR5 6000 Ram / SSD M.2 SK hynix Platinum P41 2TB / MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 SUPRIM Liquid X 24G / SteelSeries Arctis 7 Headset /LG-Ultragear 38" IPS LED Ultrawide HD Monitor (3840 x 1600) / Track IR4 / Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Virpil HOTAS VPC Constellation ALPHA-R & VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle

• 3 months later...
Never underestimate the power of a video card. I upgraded from a similar ATI card to a GTX 970. Not only did I now get to max graphcis settings, but I could nearly do so at 4k, which was a bonus!

I have the same GTX970 and used to be able to run at 60-70FPS too. Unfortunately I've had some issues ( http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=2394701#post2394701 ) and I'm now using UltrMFCD to export my screens, but I'm stuck at 30FPS (max, goes down to 21) since I'm running in windowed mode.

I'm no expert in all the settings, any advice on what to change to get some decent FPS without putting everything in low res? (having spent the money ont the GTX it makes me miserable to run in low resolution)

@OP

Are you saying that you set 60Hz (1) and DCS arbitrarily sets the refresh rate to 75Hz(2)?

(1) set in Windows or nvcpl?

(2) how do you verify that?

On a final note. DCS has built in tripple buffering or an alternative solution NOT requiring you to maintain FPS above your set refresh rate for the VSYNC to work. Search for posts by me with a keyword 'vsync'. DCS also doesn't cut your FPS by half as soon as hour FPS drops below your refresh rate.

Edited by Bucic

Razi, there is no point to have Windows on 75 Hz and force DCS on 60, because those freqs must be the same if you want have synced framerate.

You must lower frequency of your monitor to the 60Hz value in Windows first. Than, I assume that DCS will automatically take that value for sync frame rate.

If you use Win7 here is setting for monitor refresh rate:

Right click on desktop->Screen resolution->Advanced settings->Monitor tab->Screen refresh rate

EDIT:

Uups, I replayed on post from February :doh:

Edited by marluk
[B]*NOB* Lucky[/B] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Tko vrijedi leti, tko leti vrijedi, tko ne leti ne vrijedi