Anyone help out with this warthog footage?

In order to crack a tanks armor, you need to get pretty close with the gun. IIRC it's preferred to open up at 1.5 nm and turn off target no less than 0.8 nm.

I believe I read that for a good shot at penetrating some armour its fire at 0.8nm and break off at 0.5nm. 1.5 is however perfectly effective against BMPs and against soft targets you can fire at or even before 2.0.

I forget where I read that. I might try to dig it up. Just remember that range affects dispersion, the greater the range the greater the dispersion. The round impact cone looks like a flashlight's beam, so the further you are the wider it is. In order to get good effect on tanks you want tighter dispersion creating more impacts. Of course the nuances of armour penetration are completely absent from DCS, but hitpoint systems are similarly affected by dispersion since the tighter the dispersion the more rounds impacting equals greater DPS.

Edit. Yea here we go.

air_053a_9.gif

For reference,

6500 feet is just over 1 nm

4500 feet is just under 0.8 nm

3400 feet is just over 0.5 nm

2500 feet is about 0.4 nm

I think 1.5 nm is wishful thinking against real armour. Best effects are had against a perfect rear shot, with obliques creating better armour performance thanks to natural geometry of armour penetration. I have no idea how aspect angle affects DCS so don't bank on much other than dispersion being relevant to a hit point system on a given armour facing (note difference from aspect angle).

Source: A-10 Pilots Coloring Book

Edited by P*Funk
  • Like 1

Warning: Nothing I say is automatically correct, even if I think it is.

Howdy P.Funk :) Seems odd to be talking to you when there isn't a plushie / Flare Path Foxer at the top of the screen.

I guess its probably been discussed to death elsewhere, but that coloring book is a fake right? Because if not, my dream of becoming an A-10 pilot may still be alive! Colouring stuff in ... that s*it is ON MY LEVEL :D

No matter whether real or not, its got some good info in it. I may actually print that off and colour them in.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I LIKE TO PLAY

PRODIGAL WOMBAT STIMULATOR

Howdy P.Funk :) Seems odd to be talking to you when there isn't a plushie / Flare Path Foxer at the top of the screen.

Yes I suppose so! I guess the sim/RPS community is so small that I should expect to get recognized across multiple communities, but hey it still feels weird. :P

This colouring book underlines how simple but smart a lot of real life military (or general) wisdom really is. All the SOPs and OIs and whatnot doesn't change the fact that these are often simple guys trying to do a relatively simple job. The ins and outs of how to put the plane in the right position to exploit what this colouring book describes is rightly complex and involves a lot of judgment, experience, and practice, but the underlying wisdom of how to kill a tank is pretty simple. Shoot the bastard in the ass and do it no further than this.

Warning: Nothing I say is automatically correct, even if I think it is.

This colouring book underlines how simple but smart a lot of real life military (or general) wisdom really is.

It gets posted every now and then, and it really helps to show that RL pilots aren't super-heroes; simple memorizing-techniques help them just as well as they help us. :thumbup:

Also good info on the firing range (even though it may not be applicable to, say, a T-90 with reactive armor, it's still good to know the approximate effective gun range against different kinds of targets). :thumbup:

• 1 month later...