DCS A-10C QUESTIONS

Peyoteros

In the sim forever.

No sure about the real jet but I've never seen anything indicating otherwise. Maybe Paulrkiii can shed some light on it...

I don`t knowi but if doesn`t seem to realistic that any engine is able to opererate long peroids of time at full load. And that`s how I fly A10 - at most situations (except refuelling, taxiing, refuelling, and situations requiring maintaining given speed) i fly 0%(diving) or 100%(climbing/cruising) throttle. And nothing wrong happens with the engines... :music_whistling:

Are they really so reliable?

Edited by Roger Ramjet
a typo

Excuse my English, please.

I don`t knowi but if doesn`t seem to realistic that any engine is able to opererate long peroids of time at full load. And that`s how I fly A10 - at most situations (except refuelling, taxiing, refuelling, and situations requiring maintaining given speed) i fly 0%(diving) or 100%(climbing/cruising) throttle. And nothing wrong happens with the engines... :music_whistling:

Are they really so reliable?

yes they are, jet engines in general can just run on 100% power forever, if you keep providing fuel to it, and proficient oil cooling, wich is mostly done with the fuel.

If you fly 100% in any maneuver else than a dive, it is , well, not how you should fly! Also in a dive 0% is a bad idea, when circling and looking for targets slow down. If you take a hard turn or a climb full throttle. When inverting for a split-S throttle gently to 10% let the plane fall into the dive pull her up again and gently apply throttle when through 90* angle...

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

If you fly 100% in any maneuver else than a dive, it is , well, not how you should fly! Also in a dive 0% is a bad idea, when circling and looking for targets slow down. If you take a hard turn or a climb full throttle. When inverting for a split-S throttle gently to 10% let the plane fall into the dive pull her up again and gently apply throttle when through 90* angle...

Thank`s it`s very informative.

Actually i think my post was a little extragerated.

Why 0 throttle is bad for diving? When i`m diving fot attack run I`m setting the throtle to 0, and opening speed brakes - it gives me more time to aim.Before exiting dive give throttle 100% (it takes some time for engines to spool up),closing brake and pulling on the stick. :pilotfly:

Edited by Roger Ramjet
typo

Excuse my English, please.

Never open speed brakes in combat. The A-10 is a pig and doesn't have enough speed as it is when its going full blast. Dropping speed brakes during an attack run is probably one of the most unrealistic ways to fly the aircraft. Going slower just so that you can get a few extra seconds to line things up and all that is basically a bad habit designed to make up for your own lack of skill/experience.

Instead of popping speed brakes just practice at full speed. Eventually you'll learn to not suck.

No sure about the real jet but I've never seen anything indicating otherwise. Maybe Paulrkiii can shed some light on it...

I don't think Paul will not be answering questions anymore. It appears he's been banned.

Warning: Nothing I say is automatically correct, even if I think it is.

DCS A-10C QUESTIONS

how did that happen
Thou shalt not publicly question or even remotely suggest any form of disapproval of the dicta... errr moderator's action. It's somewhere in the forum rules.

Nevertheless, I think it's pretty thoughtless to ban an SME like him given what he's contributed. And especially given that the majority of help, guidance towards realistic simming, mods, documents, etc. is (was) coming from his clan, you'd say the rulers of this community would want to keep them in their good graces...

Anyway, back to Hog questions.

Edited by JayPee

i7 4790K: 4.8GHz, 1.328V (manual)

MSI GTX 970: 1,504MHz core, 1.250V, 8GHz memory

Thou shalt not publicly question or even remotely suggest any form of disapproval of the dicta... errr moderator's action. It's somewhere in the forum rules.

Yes I just noticed rule 1.3 which is why I edited my reply. Sorry about that. Just stunned I guess. Didn't mean anything by it.

Cheers

Hans

You should fly the A-10 at full power all the time in combat. The TF-34s are de-rated to do just that. Thrust levers full forward does not mean your commanding 100% rated power out of the engines, your just commanding as much power as the de-rate allows.

In a dive the rule of thumb is if you're in a dive of less than 30 degrees you do it with the thrust levers stood up, or half power. Greater than 30 degrees is done at IDLE thrust. You should NEVER use speed breaks setting up an attack run. Speed is life especially in the Hawg, and you'll need it to produce an effective SEM after your run is complete.

And yes, all the SMEs that used to answer these questions in the thread are currently banned.

Hello

I was wondering why exacly the A-10 trims down when you activate the gun pac , and if you're allowed to trim while gun pac is active to counter the downward force. Edit : Perhaps i should clarify , i mean the gun pac switch next to the master arm , not the first stage of the trigger.

Also , is there a reliable way to use GBU 12's at low altitude? Mine seem to miss all the time even if i pitch down before release

thanks

Edited by McBlemmen

It's a temporary pitch hold to compensate for the gun fire, not a trim change.

No, I think he means the little nose down when actually enabling PAC by using the on/off switch.

My understanding is, the small trim down is necessary so that the IFFCC has enough authority to actually trim down when firing the gun. It "reserves" this trim range for itself, so to say.

My best guess is to give you a nose down attitude when rolling in on a target. You want to let the pipper walk on to the target. In a dive you tend to gain speed and lift so the nose down trim counters that a bit, it seems.

Paulrkiii could propably answer that, but he is currently banned. So just my best guess. :-(

Shagrat

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

• 2 weeks later...

So. I have pretty much recently learned how I launch every single weapon in the Warthog. I realized that it doesnt matter what kind of mission it is, my payload is always the same. And that is 3x AGM-65D on each wing, 2x GBU-38 and one CBU-97.

Does that sound like a decent payload? CBU for any ground hostiles that is tight with eachother, GBU-38 to be able to drop multiple bombs on multiple targets in just one strafe (Settings markpoints for every target), and the AGM's to take out any HVT targets like SAM, Tunguska etc..

Does it sound decent? Advices?

X-55 Rhino guide to configure the Mouse Nipple to work as TDC slew!

My rig

AMD FX-8320 @ 4.4GHz

8GB RAM

R9 270x 2GB

SSD

Win 8.1 Pro

It's a video game so really you can use any loadout the mission editor allows.

Unless you are a purist then you should only use "realistic" loadouts.

Sample of Desert Storm A-10A loadouts can be found here.

More recent loadouts can be found here.

Personally I like 2xAGM-65D or K, 2XGBU-38, 1xGBU-12 and 1xMk-82, 1xM-156. It may not be realistic but it's a good sample of weapons to play with. The CBUs are nice for convoys but they impact FPS so much my computer grinds to a halt whenever they hit.

Edited by Sabre-TLA

F-15C-User-Bar-ACM.v2.jpg

MapleFlagMissions - Read Our Blog for Updates

I would review my loadout on startup and may change it considering the mission. CBU-97 or GBU-38 are pretty decent against static targets, but are difficult to employ against a movving convoy or advancing ground forces.

GBU-12 (LGB) are good against moving targets or when used with buddy lasing or JTAC, so the dropping aircraft has the least vulnerability over target as possible, while somebody else lases the target.

Also consider weight of loadout vs. maneuverability! If you are close to a friendly airfield, rather reload more often than burden the plane with a huge loadout.

The 3 Maverick loadout is never used IRL, as they found the inner missile is burning/damaging the tire of the landing gear. So "realistic" loadout will only have 2 MAVs on the triple rack.

Shagrat

Its hard to go wrong with 4*AGM-65 and 4*Mk-82. Bread and butter multipurpose.

I try not to take CBUs unless I have a good reason to since they are draggy as hell on top of those TERs. As for IAMs... well whats the fun if you're certain not to miss?

Warning: Nothing I say is automatically correct, even if I think it is.

A-10A or A-10C

Hello! I'm only familiar with the Su-25T and UH-1H at the moment, and both are much simpler than the A-10C. I bought the A-10C and FC3 modules on sale and I want to become familiar with some NATO aircraft like the A-10. I'm not sure where to begin though since I hear the A-10C is insanely complicated and I wouldn't even know where to begin with mapping controls for my X-52 Pro.

So my question is this. Going from the Su-25T to the A-10, should I start with the A-10A or just try to dive into the A-10C? Thanks.

The A-10C is at a completely different level, with respect to avionics modelling, than the A-10A. I don't think learning the A-10A will be of much value with respect to the C model.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

So my question is this. Going from the Su-25T to the A-10, should I start with the A-10A or just try to dive into the A-10C? Thanks.
Agree with cichlidfan. Skip the A-10A and start learning the A-10C. Do all the tutorials. Go on YouTube. Read the manual. Ask questions. It is a beast to learn but it shouldn't take too long to at least get the basics down and start blowing stuff up.

Right engine fire after touch-down three times now, why? While wheel/speed braking.

Quite bumpy, very bumpy (left landing gear broke) and can't remember touch-downs... can the engines be damaged by bumpy touch-downs?

Sounds like you're coming down pretty hard if you're breaking landing gear. Or you're touching down at a weird angle. It's possible the game is simulating debris going into your engine. Just guessing though.