Can't reactivate after upgrading processor

Dutch727

Mostly spurred by the need for more frames in DCS, I upgraded the processor to a faster one.

Now all my products (A-10C, F-86, and Combined Arms) are requiring re-activation.

When I use the automated re-activation window, it pops up with all three, one at a time, and on each one I click Next and it has the correct serial, I click Next and it says reactivation successful and the number of reactivations left, which is correct by my count.

Then when all that is done, DCS crashes.

When I restart, the whole process is repeated, with the same results. The number of activations remaining hasn't changed.

I have tried to de-activate the product and re-activate it, but it won't let me do it, saying "deactivation requires a valid license."

I managed to avoid the crash by skipping over all but one of the products. However, even though I got in the game and exited normally, when I start the same mission it again asks for the reactivation of that same product I already "activated".

I'm at a loss as to what to try!

Edited by Dutch727

I dread changing my hardware for this reason.

The same thing is happening to me, I register all the modules and then it hangs. If I restart and try to load the game, it asks me to register the serials again and then hangs again.

I really don't want to have to reactivate as several of them are on their last activation.

Any suggestions?

Edited by Bangtail

Please try if the instructions in this sticky works: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=94531

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

I used the old deactivator reg file (the one that deactivates everything) that is no longer on the site (luckily I had it stored).

That fixed it, but forced me to waste activations.

This happens every single time I change the relevant pieces of hardware.

Anyway, problem solved.

Please try if the instructions in this sticky works: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=94531

Thanks for this suggestion. I would try it, but I've removed the new processor and am using the old one. If I install the new one again I'll try to deactivate using these registry changes.

I didn't switch back because of DCS, I switched back because although the new processor is rated to run much faster it doesn't, it throttles itself back when placed under heavy stress such as a flight sim or other game. The result is that the flight sim runs much slower with the faster processor in place.

I'm told I need a better cooling solution, that overheating is the reason this is happening.

SO I have to solve that. Then maybe get back to re-activating DCS.

That does indeed sound like an overheating issue.

Also, Bangtail, note that the old "deactivate everything" file only applies to ED modules. It does not apply to Leatherneck's MiG-21, since it is located in a Leatherneck key folder.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

AFIK, when the activations run out they regenerate at 1 per month.

You regain a single activation after 30 days. This process starts every time you run out.

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!

That does indeed sound like an overheating issue.

I'm happy to close my part in this thread out by reporting that I received a new CPU cooler, installed it, and the CPU now runs at full speed while playing DCS, and the frame rates are higher like I was hoping and expecting.

I used the sticky thread quoted above and ran the REG edits that de-activated the products I own, then went back into DCS world and they re-activated without any crashes and are all usable now.

However, I will say the automatic reactivation code that detects changes is buggy and crashes before it can update the registry. This should be fixed.

Kudos to the community that helped me around that problem!