Operation Bactria (MP COOP 14), Afghanistan CAS

• 5 weeks later...
Operation Bactria v3.2 Released

Hello all,

Today I uploaded a new version of Op. Bactria into the user files section of the ED website. As I have said before, I'm not a big fan of having to issue patches because I prefer to release large, complete updates that add new content.

Habu

Thanks for a brilliant mission, I have only just started to play online with it myself, looking at the mission in the mission editor your logic boggles my mind.

I suggest you look at all of your JTAC target assignments, as at some point in the DCSW patch release cycle, sometime back, all the missions I have download and updated to latest patch revision have had all their JTAC target assignments reset to the wrong callsign and frequency (AXEMAN on FREQ 133am), I have done all of them on my local copies of missions, but haven't test them with your mission as yet.

This is true of all the default A-10c missions / Campaigns that come with the most current DCSW also, but that is not your baby.

Kind Regards, Ian.

Asus p877v-pro, Intel I7 3770k 4.2ghz, 32gb Ripjaw X ram, Nvidia RTX-2070 Super, Samsung 32" TV, Saitek x52 pro Joystick and Combat rudder pedals, TrackIR 5, Win8.1 x64 with SSD and SSHD protected by (Avast AV).

DCS Tech Support.

Hello all,

Thanks all for your bug reports. It is patch-related problems like these that have stopped me from releasing any new missions or significant patches for Bactria. I have noted all of your reports and have put them into my mission build.

By the way, I'm curious if everything works properly for Boar Flight, the 2-Ship? I have not flown that particular flight in a long time.

Habu

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 4 months later...

I tried Boar flight yesterday, first task worked nicely, back to IP, AWACS gives me coordinates for another JTAC I contact them but they reply with no further tasking available you may depart. I had no option in the F10 menu to end the tasking, so the mission was essentially stuck there.

One remark I started the session in SP. would that cause problems?

• 1 month later...

I was part of a 4-ship flight (Hawg) and flew this mission for the first time today, very well done! :thumbup:

We just ran into a tiny problem (sorry if it was discussed before, I didn't read the whole thread); two of us had decided to refuel prior to engaging the first mission, but Texaco wouldn't get back to us on 150 AM and we feared we'd have to go back all the way to Mozdok just for some fuel (we'd asked the ground crew to drain us to 50% prior to take-off).

We then paused the mission and figured out from the mission file that Texaco was listening on 251 UHF instead of the freq mentioned in the briefing.

I think it would make sense to either update the briefing image or switch the tanker(s?) back to the assigned freqs.

Other than that, the tasking worked very well and our actions didn't end in total chaos (though I think some friendlies were either very lucky to survive some of our attacks, or they were simply immortal). :D

Edited by Yurgon
Typo

:D :D :D I think I am the only one in our group who checks and confirms SPI regularly before(!) dropping GBUs...

...but yep, that was a cool mission, though it took us multiple strafes and GBU-38s to actually silence the bad guys. Maybe it would be cool to let the enemy retreat, after say 70% losses?

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VIRPIL CM 50 Stick & Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

Our first strafes were just pretty bad...

We didn't have to kill everyone and we didn't kill everyone. So it works just as it should, but the rockets are simply not very good :D

Edited by audax

Yeah, Tacview showed some really close misses with no effect, though the GBU-38 are very effective.

So next time scrap the rockets for more GBUs ;)

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VIRPIL CM 50 Stick & Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, anyone who played Operation Bactria recently, what in your mind are the best taskings, as in, what flights you recommend us to choose?

We will run this mission in about 3 weeks and Im not sure yet how many pilots will show up, but I hope to fill at least one 4-ship. On some of the previous pages I read about problems with TUSK flight, was that sorted in the meantime or should we avoid TUSK?

• 2 weeks later...

Just to chime in as the author, Tusk flight is the most realistic and immersive, while Hawg and Pig flights require more ordnance usage and has a more varied target environment. Tusk flight is fully functional, although one of the taskings was glitched from a DCS patch many months ago. One of the UAZ's you have to track does not continue on past a certain waypoint. This is fixed by expanding the trigger zone radius "Task#36_VehicleInZone" to 350m, although you lose some immersion because the car will not actually go to the enemy camp.

Habu

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 1 month later...

Awesome, you should sell as DLC

Think this is great, just getting into it however it's exactly what I was after.

I would pay $20 for this as a DLC or campaign through DCS. You should think about it, particularly with the upcoming Nevada DLC as a training ground for this campaign.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello all,

Thanks for all of the positive feedback since my last response. I have been away from home since early September, and I have not had a chance to take a look at the mission for 1.5. A friend tested the mission for me, and he told me that the biggest problem seems to revolve around infantry spawning. I am hoping that this is simply a bug with the game, and will not require a lot of tweaking on my end.

For starters, make sure to save the mission in the 1.5 editor before loading it up. This may help significantly.

Things will be getting very busy for me in 2016, and as I announced earlier, I believe Bactria is maxed out in terms of available content (mainly file size restricted). When I return home, I promise the community that I will do everything I can to get this mission 100% compatible with 1.5 and fix any outstanding bugs (very few I know of that are left). This update will most likely be called Op. Bactria v3.3 since no original content will be added.

I always appreciate the huge amount of positive feedback I received, and I am glad that I provided so much entertainment to you all.

Habu/Force

Edited by Habu23

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 4 months later...

Hi all,

I was doing missions, mainly as a way to learn A-10C tactics, with Op. Bactria but there is one mission I simply haven't been able to crack so far!

The mission is one initiated from IP "Banks", where an insurgent leader ("<something> Ibn Fadlan", I think) has been identified and is found to be located in a building just next to the army base of "a corrupt general". I'm tasked with hitting the building and a grant to defeat a nearby SA-10 is also issued from the AWACS, to protect the mission.

I've done the mission a few times and I've hit that building every time with GBU-12's, GBU-10's and GBU-38s but the building remains standing. There's some smoke but that's it.

Is there something wrong with the mission or am I doing something wrong?

i7-3930K CPU @ 3.20GHz; 16Gb DDR3; GeForce GTX 1070; Windows 10; TM Warthog HOTAS

Hi all,

I was doing missions, mainly as a way to learn A-10C tactics, with Op. Bactria but there is one mission I simply haven't been able to crack so far!

The mission is one initiated from IP "Banks", where an insurgent leader ("<something> Ibn Fadlan", I think) has been identified and is found to be located in a building just next to the army base of "a corrupt general". I'm tasked with hitting the building and a grant to defeat a nearby SA-10 is also issued from the AWACS, to protect the mission.

I've done the mission a few times and I've hit that building every time with GBU-12's, GBU-10's and GBU-38s but the building remains standing. There's some smoke but that's it.

Is there something wrong with the mission or am I doing something wrong?

One of the A-10c missions I had fixed sometime ago under v1.216 was working fine with I think 3 or 4 GBU-10's killing each bunker, Under v1.5x the issue of Gbu-10 or Gbu-12 are no longer powerful enough to take out bunkers, I watched the AI drop more than 10 of them on one bunker/ command center and it didn't kill it.

So the bunkers are harder or the bombs are doing less damage.

Regards, Ian.

Asus p877v-pro, Intel I7 3770k 4.2ghz, 32gb Ripjaw X ram, Nvidia RTX-2070 Super, Samsung 32" TV, Saitek x52 pro Joystick and Combat rudder pedals, TrackIR 5, Win8.1 x64 with SSD and SSHD protected by (Avast AV).

DCS Tech Support.

One of the A-10c missions I had fixed sometime ago under v1.216 was working fine with I think 3 or 4 GBU-10's killing each bunker, Under v1.5x the issue of Gbu-10 or Gbu-12 are no longer powerful enough to take out bunkers, I watched the AI drop more than 10 of them on one bunker/ command center and it didn't kill it.

So the bunkers are harder or the bombs are doing less damage.

Regards, Ian.

Thanks, but this was a two-story building and not a bunker. Isn't a GBU-10 enough to take out ordinary buildings? Do I need to drop pairs of GBU's to take them out?

i7-3930K CPU @ 3.20GHz; 16Gb DDR3; GeForce GTX 1070; Windows 10; TM Warthog HOTAS

Thanks, but this was a two-story building and not a bunker. Isn't a GBU-10 enough to take out ordinary buildings? Do I need to drop pairs of GBU's to take them out?

I'm having the same issue, on the same mission. Dropped 3xGBU-38 and 1xGBU-12 on the building, no damage.

That being said, love the mission! The voice acting is awesome, the fear in the JTAC's voice, the gunfire in the background... Brings me back to my days on the ground in A-Stan. It really imparts a sense of urgency and investment in the outcome of the mission. I really feel like I am these guys' last hope, not just playing a video game. Great work!

Ryzen 7 5800X3D / Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370 / Corsair H110i / Sapphire Nitro+ 6800XT / 32Gb G.Skill TridentZ 3200 / Samsung 980 Pro M.2 / Virpil Warbrd base + VFX and TM grips / Virpil CM3 Throttle / Saitek Pro Combat pedals / Reverb G2