computer broken, upgrading to new PC, best recommendations for dcs?

Hello I started a thread yesterday about frame rate problems and my PC died in the process, something went wrong with CPU and or motherboard, I have some spare cash and a belated bday present so I'm thinking about investing in a new CPU/motherboard. Dcs is my most intensive/ demanding game so I am wondering what would be a good motherboard/ CPU to get. I have about a 500$ budget. I'm thinking about an i5 or i7. But I'm not sure if I need an i7, I heard with core i5 4690k you can overclock it to 4.3 GHz, so ide be saving 100$ there, and I was reading that the only real advantage the I 7 has is hyperthreading, which most games don't use so the general fps improvent is only 2 or 3. Does dcs use hyper threading or should I stick with the i5? I don't know much about mother boards but I think I have around 150$ to spare on one, also are there any other CPUs you might recommend?

Just did a new system build. Went with the i5 4690K Devils canyon in an ASUS MB with 16G memory and two ASUS GTX 780 in SLI. Even though I couldn't get the system to recognize and operate in SLI due to a bad PCIe slot on the MB, DCSW ran great. Usually getting high 80-90 FPS away from congested areas with only a couple of a/c , and in the more "active" areas was getting no less than 40FPS. I am hoping once I get the system running in SLI mode, it will be even better. I think you will be well to choose the i5 4690K as it really does tits up in DCSW. The one caveat is............EDGE. Nothing but speculation as to how that significant change in DCSW will affect us all.

Intel i5-4690K Devil's Canyon, GForce TitanX, ASUS Z-97A MB, 16GB GDDR3 GSkill mem, Samsung SSD X3,Track IR, TM Warthog, MFG Crosswind pedals, Acer XB280HK monitor,GAMETRIX KW-908 JETSEAT

I would start with a new mainboard/CPU combo and keep the GFX until Edge comes.

Get a Devils Canyon if you buy new or anything from Intel that you can clock @ around 4GHz and problems are old and gone.....

Who knows what Edge brings and if Radeon will be better supported etc.., maybe SLI is really worth it or what ever... we don't know yet, what we do now is that DCS will remain CPU hungry.

Bit

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

I built a new machine after my old one died about 2 weeks ago. New system is as follows: I5 4690 (I don't overclock cpu's), Biostar Z87X, MSI GTX 770 2GB OC, 8GB DDR3 PC1600 (recycled from old rig), 256GB SSD and Win 8.1 64bit.

Overall I'm very pleased with it. I mostly get 60 fps on max detail at 1920x1080 but I've seen as low as 45 fps in SP (very rare). In MP I haven't had it go below 30 and everyone was complaining about low FPS at the time. It appeared I fared better than most. Modules I use are MiG-21 and Blackshark 2. The MiG-21 in particular is known to have some fps issues for a lot of people, plays smooth for me though.

As far as technology goes, DCS is a 1.5 core game. Everything is done on a single core except sound, which is done on a second or a dedicated sound card if you have it. EDGE will introduce DX11 and some new graphical features while hopefully also solving a lot of the fps issues the current one has. But it won't do anything major in regards to CPU usage from what I've heard. The big hope for EDGE is not only making the game look better, but also making it more friendly to lower end machines.

Edited by King_Hrothgar

Does anybody know where I can find a good forum or updates on edge?

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=80468

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Inte cpu..... asus MB.... Nvidea graphics card. Thats a good start.

Intel Core i5-4690K Devil's Canyon Quad-Core 3.5GHz (cooler master hyper 212 evo CPU FAN), ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO (Intel LGA 1150) motherboard, 16GB PC2400 DDR3 RAM, ASUS STRIX GTX 970 4GB Video Card, Creative Soundblaster Z Pci-E Sound card, 750W Power supply, MS Force Feedback 2 Joystick, Trackir 5, Logitech Z-5500 5.1 surround sound.

Yes I think I'm going to get the core i5 4690k because it is unlocked and easy to over clock to 4.8ghz, also I don't really need the hyper threading in the i7 and the fps improvement isn't much. With the MSI z87 mpower mobo that's made for easy overclocking, buy a second ssd down the road and put the 2 in raid 0 and then eventually buy a second gtx670 for sli, and I think I will have a pretty ridiculously fast pc

I wouldn't waste the time with RAID with the SSD's but aside from that, it's a good plan.

If you put two SSD's in RAID 0, the improvement in performance, which will be negligible in normal activity, will be offset by the fact that you now have doubled the chance of a drive failure.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

I agree with cich, simply install DCSW and it's modules on one SSD and your operating system on the other and forget RAID. I think you'll find the performance admirable compared to platter HD's and as cich said you reduce your chances of a total HD collapse.

Intel i5-4690K Devil's Canyon, GForce TitanX, ASUS Z-97A MB, 16GB GDDR3 GSkill mem, Samsung SSD X3,Track IR, TM Warthog, MFG Crosswind pedals, Acer XB280HK monitor,GAMETRIX KW-908 JETSEAT

So I got my new PC put it all together and I'm having the exact same problem as my last PC... Fans turn on but front LEDs only flicker when turned on or off for a split second and no signal to monitor, I have literally replaced every single component on the PC, new mobo, CPU,ram,GPU,PSU. The only thing I haven't replaced are the fans and the case with the front power buttons and USB/haudio jacks... Could it really be my case/power button that's causing the problems?

I would wait until edge comes out, its possible dual 660s in sli will be more power full than one 770 or 970, or a single better peeforming GPU might perform better, I know that with 670s at least that there is higher frame rate than a single 770 but its not as smooth

If you choos a single GPU it depends on ur budget, if you don't mind spending the money go for the 970, but are you getting an upgraded GPU just for dcs? Cuz after edge comes out it could be overkill

I doubt that at all. EDGE may take some of the load away from the CPU but the GPU will still have plenty of work, albeit better optimized, to do.

Besides, if you want to use DSR you will need every bit of that power and then some.