X-55 Rhino Hotas Issues and Problems

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is good new Alkaline, just make sure you save your ingame setting for each of the throttle and stick. That should take care of any duplications.

DCS World Online, SU25, SU25T, A-10 A, Black Shark 2, F15C, SU27, Combined Arms, A10C. Flight Controls: Saitek X-55 Rhino HOTAS System and Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals. CPU AMD Ryzen 3 2200 3.5GB, 1TB Int HDD, 2TB Int HDD, 2TB Seagate Ext HDD, 8 Gb DDR4 1600 Ram, Geforce GTX 760 2GB GPU

Well, got my X55 yesterday.

I had the expected ghosting and it was easily fixed by plugging them into USB3 slots on the back of my PC.

However, the H.U.D software seems to cause my system to BSOD more often than not. Is there a way to fix this? Would hate to leave it out and not take advantage of the rotaries and nifty banding to use for DCS. Used Ahtlonic's .pr0 so far and liked having rotaries for their set purposes, but this doesn't seem to be able to be reproduced using only DCS settings, making the (bigger reasons of getting the stick) useless.

Has there been a solution for this yet, heard this happened with X52 in the past, but haven't heard of any fixes for the X55 software other than "Don't install it"

Should I buy this stick? I want a good HOTAS system I can afford... but all these problems make me afraid to invest into something like this.

YES! Absolutely yes! I can only talk for myself though, but I do not regret this purchase at all!

I had some issues with it, but once I bought a external USB Hub for the stick and throttle, all issues disappeared. It works FLAWLESS now, and I love this HOTAS.

Yes, its plastic, and you might get the feeling like "Hmm, I expected more quality than this regarding the price", but that thought disappeared in a day for me. The throttle system is very nice IMO. Very smooth throttle, and every axis on the throttle system works really good. No jitter etc.

The throttle lock that puts the 2 throttle sliders togheter lacks some quality though. Its not 100% tight. Approx 1mm loose. I hope u know what I mean.. :p

And the switches isnt actual switches. Its "flick-switches", aka they doesnt stay up if you move it up. Its Up/Down, and goes back to middle after u flicked it. But frankly, who gives a shit about that?

The throttle tightness adjustment thing is nice aswell. Tho, if u want the throttle tightness hard, you might want to use double-adhesive pads or something to mount the throttle system, otherwise it would slide away. In general, the throttle is really nice, very smooth and a long "curve" or what I should call it.

The stick itself is also extremely nice. If I remember correctly, you'll get 4 different springs to the joystick, so you can decide yourself how stiff the stick should be. Me myself like the green and blue spring most, stiff and accurate! :) Very easy to change spring, could be done in a minute or less.

Regarding the HAT's, Im not sure about this, but it feels like they are abit loose than when I got it. But I could be wrong, I didnt think about it before.

In general, the stick is awesome, extremely smooth, no friction at all, and VERY VERY accurate. You might want to configure the axis and/or re-calibrate them, cuz the X-axis isnt completely in the center, if I remember correctly. I think they even stated that on Saiteks website.

Cons - The joystick isnt optimal for people with small hands like me.. My thumb cannot reach the upper red button, aka "Weapons release" without I must re-grip the stick, hehe. But I could live with that ^^

TL;DR - Awesome HOTAS. Can be just as perfect as the TS Warthog HOTAS if you configure everything correct. And for the A-10C, I HIGHLY recommend "Shein's X-55 A-10 Profile". Link is below.

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=120911

Well, got my X55 yesterday.

I had the expected ghosting and it was easily fixed by plugging them into USB3 slots on the back of my PC.

However, the H.U.D software seems to cause my system to BSOD more often than not. Is there a way to fix this? Would hate to leave it out and not take advantage of the rotaries and nifty banding to use for DCS. Used Ahtlonic's .pr0 so far and liked having rotaries for their set purposes, but this doesn't seem to be able to be reproduced using only DCS settings, making the (bigger reasons of getting the stick) useless.

Has there been a solution for this yet, heard this happened with X52 in the past, but haven't heard of any fixes for the X55 software other than "Don't install it"

Hmm, I have never gotten a BSOD by the SST software, or anything regarding the HOTAS. I get BSOD preeeetty often, atleast one every day, and one thing I can tell you for sure, BSODS are most of the time, caused by drivers / softwares / conflicts.

Next time it happend. Let the system take its time, to write dumps and so on. Dont power it off, let it restart by itself. Then, if u dont have the Windows debugger (WinDbg), you could analyze your minidump at http://www.osronline.com/page.cfm?name=analyze

You can find your minidump here C:\Windows\Minidump. Im not sure if it's the same on Windows 7, but it should be same location. Either find the module / file that actually causes the system to BSOD in the analyze at OSRONLINE.com, or post it here so I can have a look.

Most of the time, litteraly clear your system from _all_ Saitek / Cyborg drivers, files, everything and restart ur pc would fix it.

Delete every Mad Catz, Cyborg, Saitek hardware in "Device Manager". (Uninstall them). Dont restart if it asks you to. When everything is uninstalled, unplug your HOTAS (Stick too ofc..). Uninstall the Mad Catz SST Software. Once completed, double-check if the Mad Catz or whatever the folder is named, is removed from C:/Program Files x86, or just /Program files.

And least, delete the whole folder C:\Windows\Temp\MadCatz. (Unless u have like a keyboard or something that is mad catz.. Then just delete everything that is your HOTAS)

Nooow u can restart ur pc, plug in your stick and throttle, install the SOFTWARE, and then install the Drivers provided by Saitek!.

Edited by Alkaline

X-55 Rhino guide to configure the Mouse Nipple to work as TDC slew!

My rig

AMD FX-8320 @ 4.4GHz

8GB RAM

R9 270x 2GB

SSD

Win 8.1 Pro

No

Intel I9-10850K (OC @ 5.0ghz) │ Asus Maximus XII Hero │ G.Skill Ripjaws 64GB (4x16GB) DDR4 3200 │ Thermaltake Water 360mm
Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24gb │ 2TB M.2 EVO Pro; 1T M.2 EVO; Sandisk SSD Drives │ 49" Samsung Curved Widescreen │ 28" Touchscreen

- ҉ - Blackshark Cockpit Trainer - ҉ -    Thread   | Download

Pardon my ignorance, but would you mind defining what a PAC trigger is ?

Are you simply referring to the Thumb Button (often used as a Pickle button) ?

I use said Thumb button as my Trim and my Pinky button for my Trim Reset in the Ka-Fitty.

I use the Thumb button as my Pickle when flying the Mustang.

SnowTiger:joystick:

Hi Guy just going off topic a little, but I am wondering how do you set the x-55 Mode switch ingame or is it better to set the profile active prior to running dcs. I am trying to set up my ingame control setting to my X- profile, however I am just wondering whether or not to set the mode switches as swithes and when I use the different modes, I just add the switch. or is it better to just have the profile active, and not worry about programming the ingame control settings.

ingame my mode 1 is recognised as joy_btn_32; mode 2 is joy_btn_33; Mode 3 is joy_btn_34.

I am setting the ingame controls for the F15C. on my other aircraft I use the mode switch to switch between Nav, A-A and A-G.

Any feedback on this would be greatly appreciated.

DCS World Online, SU25, SU25T, A-10 A, Black Shark 2, F15C, SU27, Combined Arms, A10C. Flight Controls: Saitek X-55 Rhino HOTAS System and Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals. CPU AMD Ryzen 3 2200 3.5GB, 1TB Int HDD, 2TB Int HDD, 2TB Seagate Ext HDD, 8 Gb DDR4 1600 Ram, Geforce GTX 760 2GB GPU

• 2 weeks later...

issues with my X55

So I was plating just fine never had an issue since purchase a few months ago and suddenly im having issues with the calibration my X and Y axis do not detect any input my Rudder and stick buttons function just fine while in windows wizard mode the calibration point shows to be stuck at the bottom right hand corner and will not respond to any input i make

Seappk.png

also the 15 button is constantly pressed but i cant find the 15 button on my stick the highest it goes is to the 14th. I have uninstalleed and reinstalled all Madcatz and Saitek software twice without success please help

The 15, 16, & 17 buttons are your Modes 1,2 & 3 on the throttle. If you close the Stick properties window and turn the Mode switch on the throttle to Mode 2, then re-open the Stick properties window button 16 will be lit. Do it again and switch to Mode 3, and button 17 will be lit.

I would uninstall and reinstall the latest drivers, and then software too if that does not help. You could also test with a 3rd party controller testing tool. I've seen some users post pics of one, but I've never used it. It will show your axies and let you test them. If none of that works put in a ticket with Saitek and get a new x55. Don't waist your time asking them for help, as they are useless.

Intel I9-10850K (OC @ 5.0ghz) │ Asus Maximus XII Hero │ G.Skill Ripjaws 64GB (4x16GB) DDR4 3200 │ Thermaltake Water 360mm
Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24gb │ 2TB M.2 EVO Pro; 1T M.2 EVO; Sandisk SSD Drives │ 49" Samsung Curved Widescreen │ 28" Touchscreen

- ҉ - Blackshark Cockpit Trainer - ҉ -    Thread   | Download

Before you think you have to return your fresh X-55 Rhino, try to COMPLETELY uninstall EVERYTHING regarding the X-55 Rhino! I had some issues myself, but I managed, and now it works perfectly fine and im very satisfied with the HOTAS.

Do this as your last attempt, when everything else didnt solve anything.

I recommend having a external USB Hub to the HOTAS. That fixed my HOTAS when it was randomly pressing the buttons on the throttle like every 10th second..

Lets start

Uninstall the Mad Catz SST Software (The programming software)

Go to "Device Manager" and locate your HOTAS. It should be under "Human Interface Devices"

Uninstall all X-55 devices. Should be like 6 of them.

-> Unplug your X-55 HOTAS

Go to C:\Windows\Temp and delete the folder "Mad Catz"

->Open Device Manager->View->Show Hidden Devices

Delete every X-55 devices under "Human Interface Devices" again.

-> Restart Computer, and connect your HOTAS by starting with the Stick followed by the Throttle. Install the Mad Catz SST followed by drivers.

X-55 Rhino guide to configure the Mouse Nipple to work as TDC slew!

My rig

AMD FX-8320 @ 4.4GHz

8GB RAM

R9 270x 2GB

SSD

Win 8.1 Pro

• 2 weeks later...

Hi... after trying fixing a bug on my x-55 by reinstalling drivers and trying USB bios config, i created a new bug: the HOTAS does not produce keystrokes anymore (that worked).

I tried almost all, reinstalling drivers, deleting reg keys, etc... I'am SURE this is not hardware related, since i installed the HOTAS on another computer with another windows installation, and, that work... It is obviously software/driver related, but i don't know exactly what nor where.

The ultimate solution is to reinstall windows but.... hmmfghhmgghmffghh... anybody have an idead before i spend 3h on reinstalling this fu%$k sh#ùt of Microsoft bugging product ?

( I hate Microsoft, i hate Saitek's devs team... 30 years of microsoft, 30 years of USB bugs... how is it possible ?).

If this was the good old Win95 days I'd say it is an IRQ problem with your USB ports.

I had the same problem. I reinstalled and haven't had a problem since.

OS's need a reinstall once in a while to get rid of the old bugs. It might not be something we want to deal with but it is the truth.

Dale

i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz - ASUS Maximus Hero XI - 32GB 4266 DDR4 RAM - ASUS RTX 2080Ti - 1 TB NVME - NZXT Kraken 62 Watercooling System - Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas (Virpil Base) - MFG Crosswind Pedals - Pimax 5K+

VFA-25 Fist Of The Fleet

OS's need a reinstall once in a while to get rid of the old bugs. It might not be something we want to deal with but it is the truth.

Not OS... WINDOWS... My windows installation is super-clean, i can't believe i need to reinstall, to "correct" an stupid bug that shouldn't EVEN EXIST... If i have to reinstall, Microsoft team will burn in hell for that...

4fcdf2e118613355b500ba5d.jpg

While I did not have any problems getting the software and drivers installed, it did take me a couple of days to get it all working correctly.

Prior to the X-55 I had the X-52 along with its software.

I left that software installed because of my Saitek Rudder Pedals.

But that turned out to be MY problem.

So "IF" you have Saitek SST Software Installed, make sure it is completely removed/uninstalled, the completely uninstall the HUD Software and Drivers before trying to Reinstall them again.

Hopefully, that will resolve your issues (that is if your case is similar to mine).

So "IF" you have Saitek SST Software Installed, make sure it is completely removed/uninstalled, the completely uninstall the HUD Software and Drivers before trying to Reinstall them again.

Hopefully, that will resolve your issues (that is if your case is similar to mine).

Unfortunatly, no, i don't have any SST (or other old Saitek software) installed, this is my first Saitek HOTAS since 10 years... (that let me see that they don't have many worked on software since this time... )

Ya that sucks.. It would have been too easy if that was all of the issue.

I know you are one of many who have had this same issue with Saitek/Mad Catz software/drivers.

I wish I could offer some useful help but I'm out of suggestions.

When you do get it working, I'm sure you will agree that it's all worth it. But in the meantime, I have my doubts that will be the case.

Best of luck to you friend.

X-55 Stick RZ troubles and more

Hey there,

-My name is Scruffy and i have a drink- errr... hotas problem.

I got my 55 after 2 months i ordered it.

I installed drivers and software as described in the .pdf manual.

The RZ "twist" axis in the Stick is not registering anything as if nothing is connected in there.

Checked with default Windows controller settings: comparison between TM-16000 & X-55

RZ_Windows_Controller_settingsz.png

and madcatz software: comparison between X and Rudder axis

RZ_axis.jpg

I submited a ticket to saitek and it's over 48 hours now with no reply whatsoever.

When i took the stick of it's base and shook it a little i could hear some rattling noise coming from it, like there is something loose in there. I sure hope that's not the RZ axis potentiometer! :shocking:

Yesterday i took part in an IL-2 1946 online event that included flying formation with 18 B-25s.

Form_Flying_X_55iscrap.jpg

Since the X-55 stick had rudder problems I thought i could use the throttle only together with the good old TM 16000. Big mistake. As i used the throttle i got random button presses without me doing anything.

Imagine close formation with 17 other players. There are planes in-front of you, behind you and next to you. The slightest change in my airspeed could affect everyone. Now imagine my plane dropping it's gear mid-flight, lowering it's propeller pitch, changing supercharger stage on it's own etc... After about 70 minutes under these conditions i was shot down by the opposing team and i was actually relieved the nightmarish flight was over.

I've already done a full clean up using Revo uninstaller & tune up (also deleted regedit keys and all drivers from device manager) and a full re-install 4 times. Tried connecting to USB 2.0 and 3.0 ports. Tried calibrating the device with windows default controller settings and madcatz software. Nothing helped.

I am quite desperate, any suggestions?

PSU: Corsair CX750M Builder Series 750 Watt

Mobo: MSI 870A-G54 (MS-7599)

CPU: AMD Phenom II x6 1055T (2.8 GHz)

Cooler: Scythe Orochi

GPU: Radeon HD5670

RAM: 2 x Kingston KVR1333d3n9/4G (8GB)

System Drive: Kingston SKC 300S37A 120G

Qui volatum expertus est caelum deambulabit spectans quia fuit ibi eoque redire vult.