Tacview, the ACMI for DCS World – Official Thread

Vyrtuoz

@LeCuvier

I think that this kind of issue is unavoidable with the currency way data are exported from DCS to Tacview. For instance, the LUA script is not ultra-accurate (time wise) and may miss some “events”.

For instance, DCS World does not send any event to Tacview: just objects positions. I have done my best over the years to cleverly guess what is happening on the battlefield. This is why sometime you can get some inaccuracies regarding the number of shot and impact for example.

Also, like some users have noticed, during network flights, fast weapons (like guns) are not perfectly replicated the same way for each client, this may lead to discrepancy during flight replay.

I’m going to rewrite from scratch the exporter soon and I hope to be able to improve the accuracy of data recorded.

@Vyrtuoz thanks for clarifying, I will be patient in this matter. Just hope you will get around to write the export routine.

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

Thank you for bringing this point to my attention HiJack.

Ironhand observation reminds me when I was working on G calculations (in Tacview) a long time ago.

G-force indication depends on how it is calculated/measured. In other words, it depends on the period of time used to average it. I think that this is why documentations are often talking about sustained Gs vs instantaneous Gs.

I do not display instantaneous Gs because the value is changing too much to be useful. Instead, Tacview displays sustained G forces over two seconds. This is why the indication disappear one second before the destruction of an object (because there is no data sample left to use).

When my work on the new telemetry manager will be complete, I will gladly adjust my formula to display Gs as much as possible as in aircraft cockpits.

tacview-signature-512x128x24.png

I’m working hard to release the first beta of Tacview 1.5 as soon as possible. Meanwhile I have compiled some VFR ground textures for the Caucasus map.

The package can be downloaded from the add-on page: http://tacview.strasoftware.com/download/addons/

All the jpg files have to be installed in

C:\ProgramData\Tacview\Data\Terrain\Textures\

Because of the way DCS World is handling spherical coordinates, the result is not 100% accurate. However, they still provide pretty good landmarks to better understand your favorite Caucasus battlefield.

Feel free to apply any change you want and to use these as an inspiration for your own custom textures!

(picture taken during one of my flights on the Open Conflict server http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=145886)

723151518183002112.jpg

Edited by Vyrtuoz

Thank you for your answers, Vyrtuoz.

I have another question to community. Has anyone built a batch command to batch convert entire folder of ACMIs to event logs in XMLs?

51PVO Founding member (DEC2007-)

100KIAP Founding member (DEC2018-)

:: Shaman aka [100☭] Shamansky

tail# 44 or 444

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] 100KIAP Regiment Early Warning & Control officer

@shamandgg

I have just added an example of batch file to export several flight logs in a row on my website: http://tacview.strasoftware.com/documentation/flightlogs/#q12

Do not forget that you can also export them in csv format which can be easier to handle in some cases.

@jemi

The magnetic heading is a work in progress. It should be available in Tacview 1.5.1 assuming you are using at least the home edition of Tacview (because this is a part of the advanced telemetry feature).

@shamandgg

I have just added an example of batch file to export several flight logs in a row on my website: http://tacview.strasoftware.com/documentation/flightlogs/#q12

So much appreciated! Thank You.

I am not a good programmer (actually not at all) and not really sure how to use provided CMD file.

I have placed it inside folder where all *.txt.acmi files are located and try to run it. Nothing happened. I have looked inside CMD file with Notepad++

I have double checked and my TacView software is installed in installation default C: folder tree.

I have placed it outside folder, and did this:

EXPORTFLIGHTLOGS ACMI

-where "ACMI" is name of the folder

I am also sure I am doing something very silly here... just not sure what ;)

CaptureC.PNG.038ef1fe55ebd29e5a5c18c92101d432.PNG

Edited by Shaman

tail# 44 or 444

This batch file works like any command like function: Its name must be followed by the name of the files you want to convert using wildcards.

Based on your screenshot, that would give something like the following to convert all acmi files in the ACMI folder:

ExportFlightLogs ACMI\*.acmi

Which should convert all your acmi files in xml files. You can change the export type by replacing the xml file extension by csv in the cmd file.

If I had more rep to spread, I would just do that! You have saved me hours :)

tail# 44 or 444

• ED Team

Tacview does not play tracks, it uses acmi files, once tacview is setup correctly.

support for tacview can be found here http://tacview.strasoftware.com/support/faq/en/

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=139148

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

• 3 weeks later...

I'm impressed with this program and thinking about getting it.

Any documentation on the program itself.

For example, when I have 2 aircraft of interest - it shows the distance between them and a label box - hot/cold etc - would like some help deciphering and also how to use optimally.

@erjdriver

Hot/cold are general combat aviation terms. In short, hot means that the other aircraft is coming toward you, cold means it is going away from you.

If you want to know more about air-to-air combat, I suggest you to watch the great introductory video “Art of the kill” from Falcon 3:

As for Tacview itself, video tutorials are on their way, meanwhile, I suggest you to have a look at the provided documentation: http://tacview.strasoftware.com/documentation/index/

Also, don’t forget to have a look at the command list available in the help menu. The coolest shortcut is dragging the mouse with both buttons down to travel in time smoothly.

@FG28 Kodiak

In short, your file contains invalid (UTF-8) characters. The following ground units:

• BTR-80,Unit #001
  • BTR-80,Unit #002
  • BTR-80,Юнит #1

Have invalid (corrupted) names. I don’t know if this is a DCS World bug and how someone managed to enter invalid characters from the mission editor.

Anyway, I’m improving my text loader so it can handle gracefully invalid characters in Tacview 1.5. Meanwhile you can still open the file in a raw text editor like notepad++ and save it under another name (just to be safe). This should cleanup the invalid characters so Tacview should be able to load it after that.

Software bug

I'm flying KA50 missions.

When hit (not destroyed) - Tacview says you're destroyed and no longer displays the aircraft on screen.

The rest of the action is there - e.g. missile firing - but no aircraft.

Edited by erjdriver

You are right: often, when an aircraft is damaged, DCS stops exporting it... This is some kind of a bug on DCS side.

I’m going to try to find a work around this while programming my new exporter.

You are right: often, when an aircraft is damaged, DCS stops exporting it... This is some kind of a bug on DCS side.

I’m going to try to find a work around this while programming my new exporter.

Thanks for the reply - you've got a customer!

An idea - how about being able to open multiple windows - each tracking different objects.

Hi, after some time without flying the Mirage 2000 i did some simple training again yesterday. I noticed that if i watch a air to air fight in Tacview 1.4.3 and 1.5 Beta 3 Professional both missiles Matra Magic 2 and Matra Super 530D are showing only as Matra which makes it a little difficult to remember what missile i actually used in the mission. I think this is related to the new/own missiles from Razbam because if i play old Tacview files with the ED missiles labled Magic 2 and Super 530D the missile names are shown correct in Tacview.

I did a search in this thread but didn't find anything related to this "bug", but if it's already known just ignore my post. :D

Edit: Tested in DCS 1.5.3 open beta

Edited by unknown

Modules: KA-50, A-10C, FC3, UH-1H, MI-8MTV2, CA, MIG-21bis, FW-190D9, Bf-109K4, F-86F, MIG-15bis, M-2000C, SA342 Gazelle, AJS-37 Viggen, F/A-18C, F-14, C-101, FW-190A8, F-16C, F-5E, JF-17, SC, Mi-24P Hind, AH-64D Apache, Mirage F1, F-4E Phantom II

System: Win 11 Pro 64bit, Ryzen 3800X, 32gb RAM DDR4-3200, PowerColor Radeon RX 6900XT Red Devil ,1 x Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe, 2 x Samsung SSD 2TB + 1TB SATA, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - VIRPIL T-50CM and VIRPIL MongoosT-50 Throttle - HP Reverg G2, using only the latest Open Beta, DCS settings