Two-Pin Hedgehog (DCS World co-op mission)

Two-Pin Hedgehog (v1.1.1)

Mission download here (Thanks ED)

attachment.php?attachmentid=90928&d=1385212604

Co-operative mission supporting upto:

2xGround, 2+2(Hot)x A-10C, 2+2(Hot)xKA-50, 4xSU-25T, 2+1(Hot) UH-1H, 2+1(Hot) Mi-8MTV2

(Recommended 2-6 players: GC + CAS)

(Higher difficulty, 4-10 players: GC + CAS)

- by DragonShadow

Command:

First we must stop the enemy advancing on the town of Inozemtsevo and our airfield. The situation out there may call for some unconventional tactics. Then we will strike back and silence the SAM site threatening our air forces at Podkumok. Remember, to succeed we must co-operate and depend on friendly forces to take out the threats greatest to us. Finally, to be victorious our ground forces will occupy the armor base of Mirmyy. Good luck!

AWACS 'Overlord' available on 145.00 AM. Hostile air forces are active in the area.

FARP and field hospital Moscow stands ready to support our helos at map grid LP27, southwest near Essentuki. 125.00 AM.

Aimed at:

Players comfortable with the Ground Commander, KA-50, A-10C, SU-25T, UH-1H or Mi-8MTV2 in combat or CSAR tasks and start up. Moderate difficulty level.

If you want more challenge or to scale up for more players, simply run the higher difficulty version of the mission!

Featuring:

• Co-op and single player support. Note: Difficulty higher for single player.
  • A mission design based on co-operation between air and ground forces, rely on each other to win the day!
    • A ground commander is recommended, but the mission can also be finished through issuing commands to ground forces with the F10 radio menu (Hint, units aim better when they are stopped.)

[*] Major enemy positions are randomized every time you fly the mission, no mission will be quite the same!

[*] Up-to-date tasking will be given even if a player enters the mission in the middle of it. Re-tasking can also be requested from the F10 menu, no more guessing what state the mission is in.

[*] Several scripted events await you along the way, and should luck not be with you in the ground war - some reinforcements are still standing by.

[*]A whole optional CSAR/CAS based side mission that runs parallel to the main one. Should you succeed in your task, your team will be rewarded! If you want to fly the Huey or Mi-8, you won't be left out.

[*] Dynamically generated CSAR operations every time a pilot succesfully ejects, or if crew survives from a destroyed ground unit.

• Provided by MEDEVAC script from RagnarDa, with some modifications and integration to the mission.

[*] Limited resources of war through the warehouse functionality, but plenty to go with.

Flight recordings

It'd be great to get some ACMI logs recorded with Tacview (http://lomac.strasoftware.com/tacview-en.php) back on the mission. This is so I can see how people fly it and figure out how to make even better missions. It should be easy enough to upload them to http://www.sendspace.com/ or alike service.

Attributions:

• Speed, Grimes and everyone else involved with MIST (MIssion Scripting Tools)
  • RagnarDa for creating the MEDEVAC script.
  • Hagios and OddLizard for their aid with alpha testing and some suggestions.
  • The VSAAF (Virtual South African Air Force) for their aid with beta testing and feedback.

Initial build time: About three weeks with lots of scripting, testing and continued development.

License:

Freeware, distribution allowed as is with all files and attributions intact.

All rights otherwise reserved, unless specifically agreed upon. (It's ok to ask.)

Known issues:

• FIXED: "global 'stateZhelez' (a nil value)" error.
  • FIXED: Very short range CSAR flights (Ex. 0.65nm) may be assigned too low time margin.
  • FIXED: Potential script crash during Zhelez operation where units no longer alive were given orders.

• Kills of units may read back as 'Building' in multiplayer chat log. This is likely a side effect of them being recreated during randomization.

TwoPinHedgehog-Cover.thumb.jpg.b727bf78149bc5692f3eb6ec03f55468.jpg

TwoPinHedgehog-Overview.thumb.jpg.18dd92c8c4adbb15496a50888cb6a8e8.jpg

TwoPinHedgehog-GroundAssault.thumb.jpg.1eff0844d387ae1d375f8fa34e9b0417.jpg

Edited by DragonShadow

Changelog:

- Initial version

- Fixed "global 'stateZhelez' (a nil value)" error which could occur after first task in mission was completed.

- Modified Zhelez red surrender condition to 10 units left.

- Added radio message for Ferret having been picked up.

- Rebuilt the optional Ferret CSAR (Combat Search And Rescue) objective. Red units at Zhelez must now be defeated first before Ferret can be picked up.

- If Ferret is succesfully delivered in time, the players will be rewarded with AFAC (Airborne Forward Air Controller) support!

- 33% of blue ground unit crews now survive to provide CSAR players with more to do if no pilot ejections occur.

- 33% of red ground unit crews now survive to provide players with less heavy weapons more to do.

- Short range CSAR missions will have their time padded to allow approximately 30 seconds for landing. The padding is added to the initial time limit, not during landing.

- Fixed Ferret's smoke support incorrectly being still available after being picked up.

- Fixed potential script crash during Zhelez operation.

- Improved efficiency of countGroupUnitsAlive function, now leveraging inbuilt getSize().

- Added reminder of useful commands in Radio F10 menu to mission briefing.

- Changed SU-25T loadout to include MPS-410 ECM pods.

Edited by DragonShadow

Great to see interest in the mission. I hope you'll have fun flying it, a good few hours did go into it :) If it might be possible, it'd be great to get some ACMI logs recorded with Tacview (http://lomac.strasoftware.com/tacview-en.php) back on it. This is so I can see how people fly it and figure out how to make even better missions.

It should be easy enough to upload them to http://www.sendspace.com/ or alike service.

Edited by DragonShadow

Can you post the miz files here or on dropbox so we can try this weekend. They usually don't approve files on the weekend on the user files portion.

I guess I could do that for you Ranger79, but I'd also like to get some realistic numbers on how many times the mission has been downloaded. I know Sendspace doesn't do it, but maybe there's a site you'd recommend that keeps track of the downloads too?

I use mediafire, its free and gives you 10gb's of storage, also shows the number of downloads per file.

I use mediafire, its free and gives you 10gb's of storage, also shows the number of downloads per file.

That seems to fit the bill.

And here you go, The Two-Pin Hedgehog:

(Link removed)

Kindly prefer the ED download if it's available at the time. I'll probably remove this download once the actual ED one comes up and I've the time to do so.

Edit:

Official download is up, http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/498318/

Edited by DragonShadow

Well done DragonShadow.....thanks for your time in creating this mission.

Can't wait to play the final product!

Thanks for the help with the beta testing. I can generally test things one at a time separately, but it's good to get in a full run or two. Especially with people who might do things differently as well.

Hope you'll enjoy it, happy to hear it's keeping it's replayability at that :) I've done some more tweaking and put in a bit more scripting since the last time still. Things like being able to request the mission status from the F10 menu.

That seems to fit the bill.

And here you go, The Two-Pin Hedgehog:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/5spi51yvo917ux1/DS-TwoPinHedgehog.zip

Kindly prefer the ED download if it's available at the time. I'll probably remove this download once the actual ED one comes up and I've the time to do so.

Thanks DragonShadow!

Beautiful, another promising mission by DragonShadow. I hope (and I am sure) it will be as excellent as Blindsided V3 was :thumbup:.

Looking forward to :pilotfly: it with my mates but unfortunately this will not happen before next weekend. I need to win the lottery to have more time for my hobby :megalol:

I will leave you some comments and very likely a TacView file for analyzation after we have played the mission.

And thank you again for sacrifing your leisure time to build missions for the DCS community!

Cheers,

Thor

CPU: i9 9900K@5GHz

GPU: Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC

HMD: Valve Index

RAM: 32Gb G-Skill 3200MHz DDR4

HOTAS: Thrustmaster TPR Pedals + Thrustmaster Warthog

Beautiful, another promising mission by DragonShadow. I hope (and I am sure) it will be as excellent as Blindsided V3 was :thumbup:.

Looking forward to :pilotfly: it with my mates but unfortunately this will not happen before next weekend. I need to win the lottery to have more time for my hobby :megalol:

I will leave you some comments and very likely a TacView file for analyzation after we have played the mission.

And thank you again for sacrifing your leisure time to build missions for the DCS community!

Cheers,

Thor

Comments like these just make my day :D. It's great to hear Blindsided has been so liked. Hope you'll enjoy the Two-Pin Hedgehog likewise.

Heh, know what you mean on the lack of free time. Between work, some RL stuff and building there hasn't been much of it, but thankfully my SO has been understanding :music_whistling:. Anyway, building itself can be quite fun (not to mention frustrating if there's any perfectionist in you! :P), and I've got some nice time to take a break now and see how people like the new mission. Looking forward myself to hearing the comments and seeing the Tacview then :thumbup:.

Flying and creativity are really some of my most favorite things, and as it happens DCS combines those two things quite nicely. In general I've rather liked how the DCS community tends to be quite helpful and shares things, so I guess this is my way of contributing :).

My friend and I took up some Su-25Ts last night, and we were doing great until the hostile fighter jumped us. I guess next time we ought to run more vigorously toward friendly AA.

Fun to hear back from people playing the mission. Those fighters sure aren't kidding around are they? :)

Sounds like a good plan, good luck on the next attempt. I wanted there to be a mutual reliance between the pilots and the ground forces, and it's good to see people figuring out the gist of that too. Plus it's nice to see people also flying the SU-25T's in specific at that.

I've had some time to try it out. Nice work. I have yet to finish it due to time constraints and lack of manpower, but I am hoping to soon.

I am running into a recurrent error message. that reads:

[string"--Zhelez Red troops attack..."]:2: attempt to index global 'stateZhelez' (a nil value)

Stack traceback:

[C]: ?

[string"--Zhelez Red troops attack..."]:2: in main chunk

I have run the mission at least 6 times and it has occurred every time. Once the error occurs, my machine freezes with a "ding" in the background. Alt+tab out and i have the message above. select "OK" and re-tab back to the pit and continue. this happens after the first task is complete. usually within 15 mins or so.

Markeebo

I've had some time to try it out. Nice work. I have yet to finish it due to time constraints and lack of manpower, but I am hoping to soon.

I am running into a recurrent error message. that reads:

[string"--Zhelez Red troops attack..."]:2: attempt to index global 'stateZhelez' (a nil value)

Stack traceback:

[C]: ?

[string"--Zhelez Red troops attack..."]:2: in main chunk

I have run the mission at least 6 times and it has occurred every time. Once the error occurs, my machine freezes with a "ding" in the background. Alt+tab out and i have the message above. select "OK" and re-tab back to the pit and continue. this happens after the first task is complete. usually within 15 mins or so.

Markeebo

same problem as above.. just happened once

Ah, thanks for letting me know. I'm pretty sure I know what's going on and will try and have a fix out for it soon. At least it isn't mission breaking problem, but it could cause issues for dedicated servers in particular.

Fun to hear back from people playing the mission. Those fighters sure aren't kidding around are they? :)

Sounds like a good plan, good luck on the next attempt. I wanted there to be a mutual reliance between the pilots and the ground forces, and it's good to see people figuring out the gist of that too. Plus it's nice to see people also flying the SU-25T's in specific at that.

The Su-25T is a lot of fun—it has some reasonably fancy targeting, but still relies on the TsM-model datalink, and it's not all dropping JDAMs from 15,000 feet. Unfortunately, my wingman is away from his computer for Thanksgiving, so we won't have a chance to take another crack at it for a few days, but I'm looking forward to it.

Black Shark, Harrier, and Hornet pilot

Many Words - Serial Fiction | Ka-50 Employment Guide | Ka-50 Avionics Cheat Sheet | Multiplayer Shooting Range Mission