Updater won't update, help!

JorgeIII

Last night I cancelled de autoupdate (from 1.2.12 to 1.2.14) before a squadron flight, since then the updater won't update, it just pop up an instant and disappears. Tried to update the openbeta install and I get the same error.

What I tried:

• Disabled antivirus.
  • Run the updater from CMD and from bin folder in DCS.
  • Repaired the installation.
  • Deleted updater files created in DCS main folder and in Appdata DCS hidden folder.
  • Downloaded de stand alone updater, move it to and run it from bin folder.
  • Uninstalled DCS World (main installation, not the open beta), keeping user/savedgames/DCS config folder. Reinstalled from current 1.2.12 torrent. In this case the updater run the first time but updated to the same version I had before: 1.2.12. Since then it won't run, just show a dialog for an instant and disappear. The updater did run to install all the modules.

One of our squadron mates, who also canceled the autoupdater is having the same problem. Running out of options here.

If you need a log to help me please point out which one.

Thanks.

AKA TANGO-117. DCS Modules: ALL. I7 6700k @ 4.9 GHz / 32 GB DDR4 @ 3.2 GHz / 950 Pro m.2 + 4xSSDs / Gigabyte 1080TI 11 GB OC / 48" 4K Curved Samsung TV / TM Warthog Hotas / TM TPR rudder pedals / Track IR. Private pilot and sailplane pilot in RL.

Last night I cancelled de autoupdate (from 1.2.12 to 1.2.14) before a squadron flight, since then the updater won't update, it just pop up an instant and disappears. Tried to update the openbeta install and I get the same error.

What I tried:

• Disabled antivirus.
  • Run the updater from CMD and from bin folder in DCS.
  • Repaired the installation.
  • Deleted updater files created in DCS main folder and in Appdata DCS hidden folder.
  • Downloaded de stand alone updater, move it to and run it from bin folder.
  • Uninstalled DCS World (main installation, not the open beta), keeping user/savedgames/DCS config folder. Reinstalled from current 1.2.12 torrent. In this case the updater run the first time but updated to the same version I had before: 1.2.12. Since then it won't run, just show a dialog for an instant and disappear. The updater did run to install all the modules.

One of our squadron mates, who also canceled the autoupdater is having the same problem. Running out of options here.

If you need a log to help me please point out which one.

Thanks.

Erm ... wha...? I am not sure I understand what you tried to do...

The most current version in the regular branch of DCS is 1.2.12.35194.574

The update to 1.2.14.35472.593 is atm only available in the Open Beta branch. And that only since 2-3 hours (it was delayed yesterday).

So, all you can hope for atm is to update your Open Beta to 1.2.14. Try running "DCS Update" from the Windows Start Menu (so that the 24h timeout is not interfering here). And that's it.

And if that is it not ... post your autoupdate_log.txt from the DCS directory.

Thanks.

My current installed version for main installation and open beta is: 1.2.12.35194.

If the main installation doesn't have and update yet, then that is my mistake and why it didn't updated (I cant believe I ve done a full reinstall when it was not necessary...). But the open beta is not updating and it should. Im attaching the logs.

I tried manually running the update and this steps (all for the open beta):

Disabled antivirus.

Run the updater from CMD and from bin folder in DCS.

Repaired the installation.

Deleted updater files created in DCS main folder

autoupdate_log beta.txt

AKA TANGO-117. DCS Modules: ALL. I7 6700k @ 4.9 GHz / 32 GB DDR4 @ 3.2 GHz / 950 Pro m.2 + 4xSSDs / Gigabyte 1080TI 11 GB OC / 48" 4K Curved Samsung TV / TM Warthog Hotas / TM TPR rudder pedals / Track IR. Private pilot and sailplane pilot in RL.

Just tried again the updater. I´m attaching the latest log but it doesnt look like the updater is creating or modifying the log file.

autoupdate_log.zip

Just tried again the updater. I´m attaching the latest log but it doesnt look like the updater is creating or modifying the log file.

This log file was created only a few minutes after the first one that you posted earlier. So, yes, something is not right here and it seems as if your latest attempt to run DCS Update somehow did not do anything (that we are aware of). At the moment my only idea would be that you check the Windows Shortcuts for the DCS Update in the Start Menu to make sure that the correct dcs_updater.exe is called. It could be, after your re-installing everything, that you now accidentally run the updater for the main installation everytime - instead of the one for the Open Beta.

Go to the DCS Updater entry in the Start Menu and open the properties window for it (right mouse button, last entry of the submenu). Make sure that all paths point to your Open Beta installation.

Then try again.

Are you sure you are not confusing it with the updater update that came out the other day? That might have been what you cancelled.

We are past that stage already. No matter what he cancelled, the following attempts should have updated his installation(s) anyway.

• Like 1

Thanks Flagrum. I'm running the open beta updater, checked the shortcut properties and also run it directly from DCS World open beta bin folder.

Is there any way to reset the updater? Or to force it to update?

It does work for repairing the open beta install (and creates a log). It also runs ok for the first time if I rename the updater files created in the main open beta folder (log files and the others) but only "updates" to 1.2.12. But after this ill will just crush when I run it and it seems no more log files are created.

When I come back from my office I'll download the stand alone updater again and run it from open beta install folder. If it doesnt work I'll reinstall the beta and see what happens.

I will appreciate if some one can tell me how to reset the updater or how to force it to update.

Jorge.

Thanks Flagrum. I'm running the open beta updater, checked the shortcut properties and also run it directly from DCS World open beta bin folder.

Is there any way to reset the updater? Or to force it to update?

It does work for repairing the open beta install (and creates a log). It also runs ok for the first time if I rename the updater files created in the main open beta folder (log files and the others) but only "updates" to 1.2.12. But after this ill will just crush when I run it and it seems no more log files are created.

When I come back from my office I'll download the stand alone updater again and run it from open beta install folder. If it doesnt work I'll reinstall the beta and see what happens.

I will appreciate if some one can tell me how to reset the updater or how to force it to update.

Jorge.

The shortcuts in the Start Menu for "DCS Repair" and "DCS Update" have different parameters. Maybe that is why they behave differently here.

But check out this thread: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=114030

It explains how to use the updater manualy from the command line.

To force update = run the "update DCS World" from windows start menu.

Do no "just" double click on the DCS_updater.exe that won't work.

That is the problem here - the updater seems not to do anything when started via the Start Menu.

Thanks, I have followed that post before posting here. The only thing I didn't do is try to revert DCS to a specific version and then try to update to a specific version. Will let you know if it works. Thanks.

Thanks, I have followed that post before posting here. The only thing I didn't do is try to revert DCS to a specific version and then try to update to a specific version. Will let you know if it works. Thanks.

Randomly trying out things might be contra-productive. I would try a DCS Update from the command shell first and then check the autoupdate_log.txt. It can not be that the updater does not write _something_ into that file. And then we could try to figgure out what is _really_ happening there. Just one step after the other. :o)

edit:

to clarify my thoughts a bit:

Your regular install is at 1.2.12 and that is the most current version. Whatever the autoupdater tries to do there, there will be no update (as of today) be applied.

That means, we have to focus on your Open Beta install. That was seemingly "updated" a day ago to 1.2.12, as the logs show. But then nothing happened anymore.

Your attempts to run the DCS Update showed nothing in the logs. Therefore it is no wonder that the Open Beta did not get any update.

Therefore we should try to figgure out, why that is the case. By doing the update via the command line we are "as close as it gets" to what the updater is or should be doing.

If that also does not yield any new information (i.e. if the logs are not touched again), well, we will think about that when it happens. :o)

But IF the updater then writes something into the logs, then either we already might have solved the riddle and you get your update ... or we can at least analyse a bit more in the logs.

But if you now start to do something completely different, we most likely make things only more complicated and more difficult to comprehend.

Edited by Flagrum

Did again a DCS open beta update from command line and dindt get any log. The updater was only working and generating logs if used for repair, install modules or convert to a previus version.

To save time I reinstalled the open beta and is working now.

I uninstalled it, renamed user dcs open beta folder (the one that keeps configurations, etc), deleted the hidden DCS folder in user/appdata/local, cleaned windows registry and reinstalled the beta. Updater worked fine.

For the main version updater was not updating because there is not update yet, but it wasn't generating any logs so I reinstalled too to be safe.

So thats all for now (I hope), thanks.