Yet Another Checklist

Gliptal

I know many of these already exist, with some being really good and comprehensive. I thought I might share mine too, since I've tackled the argument with a slightly different approach. This is work in progress obviously, and will undergo several iterations before reaching a decent form.

The following checklist is not meant to substitute the more complete, detailed, and professional checklists already in existence. Its aim is instead to provide both a more effective learning asset, and a simpler immediate reference for the more common occurences. This is achieved by using structured lists and color coded elements. The legend can be found inside the .pdf itself.

Attached are the .pdf version, and an archive with bot uncropped and cropped images of the.pdf pages. Download the latter only if you want to have this checklist on the kneeboard ingame. Instructions for installation are in the readme in the archive.

Any suggestions or remarks are greatly appreciated!

Current version v0.14.0

Procedures.pdf

kneeboard.rar

Edited by Gliptal
  • Like 2

Nice job:thumbup: Good share:joystick:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] SMOKE'M:smoke: IF YA GOT'M!:gun_rifle:

H2o Cooler I7 9700k GA 390x MB Win 10 pro

Evga RTX 2070 8Gig DD5

32 Gig Corsair Vengence, 2T SSD.

TM.Warthog:joystick: :punk:, CV-1:matrix:,3x23" monitors, Tm MFD's, Saitek pro rudders wrapped up in 2 sheets of plywood:megalol:

• 2 weeks later...

Great! This is the first one checklist I'm gonna actually use.

My rig specs:

Intel Core i7 4770 @3.4Ghz // Corsair 16GB DDR3 // MoBo Asus Z87K // HDD 1TB 7200RPM // eVGA Nvidia GTX 760GT 2GB DDR5 // LG 3D 47" 1920x1080 // Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS // Saitek Combat Pro Pedals // Thrustmaster MFD Cougar pack // PS3 Eye + FTNOIR

just read through your checklist, 1 small thing i might suggest is adding the key from the first post into the checklist, just because some people might not remember right away what stands for what and rather than trying to find the post again, it would be easier to go to the page with the key in the checklist.

Otherwise it is a great checklist, not overly wordy and complicated, but detailed enough anyone should be able to follow it with ease.

just read through your checklist, 1 small thing i might suggest is adding the key from the first post into the checklist, just because some people might not remember right away what stands for what and rather than trying to find the post again, it would be easier to go to the page with the key in the checklist.

Otherwise it is a great checklist, not overly wordy and complicated, but detailed enough anyone should be able to follow it with ease.

Will do, thanks for the feedback!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Very nice work, Gliptal.

I've flown the Hog for years, and your guide covers the switchology. I do rotate at 135 or above. And I'll wait to get out of a covered hanger before arming my seat. I like that you did not number the tasks -- the ol' A-10C panels are mostly independent.

One thing that can be done first at startup is a weps and fuel rearm with LAlt-', so it is finished in time for the Load All,, but that's not a cockpit switch issue. BTW, that LAlt-' can be done along with a Repair. Appendix stuff.

Very nice job and up to date. I recommend this to anyone who wants to master the Cold Start.

That last page about the a/c lights is just what I needed -- got that printed out.

Wrecking Crew

PS Another tip is how to get the airbase tower frequency for the radio with F10 View and click on your airbase icon. There are some more numbers there that may be the ILS and TACAN, I don't know that. Appendix...

• Like 1

Visit the Hollo Pointe DCS World server -- an open server with a variety of COOP & H2H missions including Combined Arms. All released missions are available for free download, modification and public hosting, from my Wrecking Crew Projects site.

Very nice work, Gliptal.

I've flown the Hog for years, and your guide covers the switchology. I do rotate at 135 or above. And I'll wait to get out of a covered hanger before arming my seat. I like that you did not number the tasks -- the ol' A-10C panels are mostly independent.

One thing that can be done first at startup is a weps and fuel rearm with LAlt-', so it is finished in time for the Load All,, but that's not a cockpit switch issue. BTW, that LAlt-' can be done along with a Repair. Appendix stuff.

Very nice job and up to date. I recommend this to anyone who wants to master the Cold Start.

That last page about the a/c lights is just what I needed -- got that printed out.

Wrecking Crew

PS Another tip is how to get the airbase tower frequency for the radio with F10 View and click on your airbase icon. There are some more numbers there that may be the ILS and TACAN, I don't know that. Appendix...

Thanks, really nice to hear positive feedback from a real pilot.

Ahhh, I am not a real life pilot, I only play one on my computer :-)

I meant that I've had the DCS Warthog since the Beta!

WC

Visit the Hollo Pointe DCS World server -- an open server with a variety of COOP & H2H missions including Combined Arms. All released missions are available for free download, modification and public hosting, from my Wrecking Crew Projects site.

I summarized the Lights section in the appendix for myself --

Collision: Takeoff / Flight / Landing

Position: Flashing: Start Up / Taxi; Steady: Ready, Flight

Land / Taxi: Use at night

I always questioned if I was using these lighting controls at the right time.

WC

Due to the automatic lockout from the engines themselves, you want to have your L/R AC Generators flipped into rock and roll ahead of time. The way the electrical bus works, whichever engine kicks up first and takes over supplying the power (don't ask why, just always start with your left due to the design of the craft internally), you want to have the generators kicked up for reasons of habit. You will end up shorting or tripping a breaker if you get into the practice of flipping on your generators late in the show.

Also you should consider counting 15 mississippi or so before moving on to the other engine, you want to have time for certain internal components to close and open which are necessary.

Last piece of advice, it won't hurt to keep the outstanding generator and original going while you let the EGI/CDU get going. You don't want to have any accidental power dips during the CDU startup, as it will (slightly) prolong the procedure due to it needing to regroup (but you won't lose any data, just a time-sink, especially if you were in scramble.)

Hope this helps, I'll flip through the rest of it and see what ya got goin on! Looks great and it's really nice to see people taking the time to figure out the systems and put in the work.

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

-i7 4770k @ 4.6ghz (x46/x46/x45/x44)

-EVGA GeForce 980 ti Classified 6gb @ 1492mhz

-32gb G.Skill @ 1600

-Quad Samsung EVO 850 250gb SSD

-Sennheiser Game One Headset for ATC

-Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog

-Track IR 5, custom built dual IR LED Arrays

-Oculus Rift DK2

Very nice post, thanks. Might I ask the reason why you're so knowledgeable about the inner workings of the aircraft? Former crewchief maybe?

Due to the automatic lockout from the engines themselves, you want to have your L/R AC Generators flipped into rock and roll ahead of time. The way the electrical bus works, whichever engine kicks up first and takes over supplying the power (don't ask why, just always start with your left due to the design of the craft internally), you want to have the generators kicked up for reasons of habit. You will end up shorting or tripping a breaker if you get into the practice of flipping on your generators late in the show.
Would it be ok to flip them up just before turning the APU on?

Also you should consider counting 15 mississippi or so before moving on to the other engine, you want to have time for certain internal components to close and open which are necessary.
I already wait for the ENG START CYCLE caution light to turn off before spooling the other engine: do you mean you should also wait about 15 seconds after the light is off?

Last piece of advice, it won't hurt to keep the outstanding generator and original going while you let the EGI/CDU get going. You don't want to have any accidental power dips during the CDU startup, as it will (slightly) prolong the procedure due to it needing to regroup (but you won't lose any data, just a time-sink, especially if you were in scramble.)
I'll move the APU switchoff down the line then. I got into the habit of turning it off ASAP because it's really noisy. :D

Hope this helps, I'll flip through the rest of it and see what ya got goin on! Looks great and it's really nice to see people taking the time to figure out the systems and put in the work.
By all means, any feedback is appreciated.
Edited by Gliptal

You can flip the L/R AC GEN switches to rock and roll before you even turn on your 24v battery and get the DC flowing into boring to explain buses. They're not going to cross the line until you spool up your left engine (again which you should typically do, it saves a lot of trouble.) Once your left gets loud enough to be annoying, you'll hear the master caution on your APU GEN, because the Left AC Generator locked it out and took over, as well as a few other things happening (like the scary 'Did I break it?' noise when you first turn off the APU GEN and hear things sounding like they're shutting down.) :)

And yes, fifteen seconds won't hurt you at all, and it'll give things time to even out fully, and if a catastrophe is gonna happen, at least it's not happening in the middle of you spooling up another engine and shooting more power into the system and powering on more buses to get fried. Startup for awhile can seem like a rush, but the A-10C has a good system of checks and balances internally within the electrical system and engines that work together to ensure that things overlap properly and there isn't a brownout (barring an actual electrical system or engine failure of course.)

Edited by Daebak
Cause I'm sleepy.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

-i7 4770k @ 4.6ghz (x46/x46/x45/x44)

-EVGA GeForce 980 ti Classified 6gb @ 1492mhz

-32gb G.Skill @ 1600

-Quad Samsung EVO 850 250gb SSD

-Sennheiser Game One Headset for ATC

-Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog

-Track IR 5, custom built dual IR LED Arrays

-Oculus Rift DK2