Low Speed Handling

chaos

Since I'm unable to test this for myself...

Can somebody check to see if the F-86 exhibits a pitch-up moment while it is slowing down to stall-speed? There used to be a thing called "Sabre Dance" (in relation to the F-86) whereby seperation of airflow on the aft-portion of the wing would result in a pitch-up moment. This had to be counteracted by the pilot and did, on several occasions, result in Pilot Induced Oscillation (the dance).

Presumably this would also happen during high-speed flight?

Just wondering. I can't wait to upgrade my system which won't happen until EDGE is released...

"It's not the years, honey. It's the mileage..."

My information is from a book called "Aerodynamic Principles of Flight Vehicles" (page 176) where the F-86 is specifically mentioned. Super Sabre might also have been affected by it... I'm not familiar with its wing-design.

It doesn't really matter because it happens more or less on all swept wing aircraft. They 'fixed' this problem to some extent in subsequent wing-designs by adding vortex gens, fences etc. so that the airflow would remain attached for longer.

Anyway, still interested to hear from people who've done research into this. If the sim- F-86 exhibits the same behavior, I'd be very impressed...

"It's not the years, honey. It's the mileage..."