understanding wind direction flying Russian planes

fitness88

The ME uses that small "compass"-thingy for inputting headings(!) for everything that has anything to do with an angle, therefor you enter "where the wind blows to" in the ME. No big deal, just something that a mission builder must keep in mind.

But in a mission it follows international standards and give you "where the wind comes from".

Note: the briefing screen contains a bug (imo) as there the wind direction is displayed as it was entered in the ME (i.e. "blowing to").

edit:

now I fell into that trap as well ... this is the FC1/FC2 forum. What I wrote is true for DCS:W - if the legacy games handle this differently, I can not say...

Edited by Flagrum

Normally wind direction is given from where the wind is coming from [not going to], does Russian ATC in FC3 follow that convention when giving a wind report?

In the mission planner I think they use the direction the wind is going to.

Thank you.

Actually 'normally' is the direction the wind is blowing to. It's simply more intuitive. It's just that meteo guys traditionally used arrow-shaped instrument to determine wind direction. The instrument pointed towards the 'from' direction and the lazy bastards didn't bother to convert it to 'human' format. :)

<end of joking>

There are two conventions for giving wind direction:

- navigational (normal) (TO)

- meteorological (from)

In aviation, from is very much the norm. This is not due to anyone being lazy but due to it being significantly better suited for use in the cockpit. It'd surprise me if to is used even in Russia, RoW definitely from.

In aviation, from is very much the norm. This is not due to anyone being lazy but due to it being significantly better suited for use in the cockpit. It'd surprise me if to is used even in Russia, RoW definitely from.

You're right about western aviation using 'from'. I thought Russians use 'to'.

I still don't understand why the airfields do not have a Wind Sock ?

Surely it would be easy to model and certainly much easier to judge direction (from and to !!) than trying to look at chimney smoke that is a mile away.

Not having a Wind Sock made it truly challenging for me to get off the ground (and land) with the P 51 for the longest time.

SnowTiger:joystick: