Perfect hover after 7 years

Whatever you do to the trimmer, consider that if you actually were in the cockpit it could possibly break your neck :joystick:

If you dont break it the way you fly, hit your targets and come back so we can repair you, ALL IS FINE.

The lack of physical feedback lends us to sometimes use the trimmer or generally fly in a way that you personalyl wouldnt do twice in RL...imho. The feedback in your bud changes the way you fly, drive and ride anything considerably vs. VR. The smoothness is hard to apply with your eye-hand coordination but easily felt in your whole body ( G forces up/down left/right for/aft etc.. )

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

I tried using simFFB again but it just disconnects FFB trimming. I get only centering force. Am I doing something wrong or something changed from some patches?

Using Logitech driver settings reverts FFB to functional again.

Set trimming method in SimFFB to "instantaneous".

I preffer to use only spring force set to about 70%, and the trick is to hold trim button all the time when maneuvering, oterwise augmentation system is counter-acting to my efforts in near-center range of joystick movement. Then, I am releasing trim button only when I'll get stable position for transit flight or for hover.

That way, keeping that "beauty" in air and fly it wherever I want is simple as riding the rocking horse.

Natural Born Kamikaze

-------------------------

AMD Ryzen 5 3600, AMD Fatal1ty B450 Gaming K4, AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT, 32 GB RAM Corsair Vengeance LPX, PSU Modecom Volcano 750W, Logitech G940 HOTAS, Turtle Beach VelocityOne Rudder.

Just chiming in to this thread, my two cents...got back back into the KA after a long absence, phew, this trim thing is a real sweat to be sure. Have watched a few vids etc, seems to be the way to go is to think about input into the AP...hover is an art to be sure...getting better (the HUEY made me a better pilot) but still real challenging...eg, finding that coming in to slow down to the hover hold 10 degrees up, apply trim, let the beast settle, then trim again, once below forward motion as indicated on the hud <20 engage AH? Having some better results but still not perfect...anyone suggest a method?

the best thing i have found is to just hover semi-manually. leave FD off, and trim the bird into a hover using your preferred method (tap or hold trimmer). I have found that as i become a better combat pilot, i spend less and less time fighting from a stationary hover. Even when I do still hover to engage targets, I typically do so for less than a minute before moving again.

The only exception to this is when playing certain campaign missions that have a large number of units spread over a wide, flat area, and there is no A2A or AAA/SAM threat.

While this sim is very realistic in terms of aircraft modelling, mission design all too often falls short in the realm of the ability of the targets to fight back. Unless you are going against a force with absolutely no access to modern weaponry, a helicopter pilot should never stop worrying about the possibility of return fire from the ground. Even in a heavily asymmetric war (see USSR vs Afghanistan), helicopters are very vulnerable. Staying in one place for a significant amount of time is just asking for some jackass with a jeep and a stinger to sneak around you and make your day miserable.

• Like 1

I always used my G940 HOTAS for helicopters. It has great feedback, gives you better control due to the trimmer response. I swear by it for all DCS rotary winged aircraft.

Not any more!

I was never able to hover my Ka-50 in a stable condition for any length of time and it was really frustrating trying to succeed at it. I went up next to some experienced guys who just stuck there in mid-air, with no problems at all, whilst I danced around, looking for excuses. :joystick:

This evening for the first time since I bought the Ka-50 in 2009, I achieved this great art for more than 15 minutes. I was so pleased, I just sat there looking around the cockpit, reading off the switch labels and just admiring the detail etc - then did some sightseeing with the IT-23, head down and not bothering to even glance up, feeling perfectly safe!

So - how did I manage it? What was the secret?

Using a non-FFB stick! Yup - the force feedback was my enemy - just as it was with that A-10C autopilot that was always frustratingly disengaging itself.

Now I really feel like a member of a unique minority! :D

Well, lets be honest here...the only good FFB stick is the MSFFB 2. That was your problem, using the G940 if you're using FFB.

I9 9900k @ 5ghz water cooled, 32gb ram, GTX 2080ti, 1tb M.2, 2tb hdd, 1000 watt psu TrackIR 5, TM Warthog Stick and Throttle, CH Pedals

anyone suggest a method?

Yes - in short, keep trim button pressed all the time when You maneuvering, and release it when You'll get stable position facing required direction.

"Want to know more?" - http://www.simhq.com/_air13/air_429a.html

Edited by Pipok

Natural Born Kamikaze

AMD Ryzen 5 3600, AMD Fatal1ty B450 Gaming K4, AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT, 32 GB RAM Corsair Vengeance LPX, PSU Modecom Volcano 750W, Logitech G940 HOTAS, Turtle Beach VelocityOne Rudder.

I owned a g940 for 2 days. returned it, too many problems for 250$

brand new trying to find whats wrong with the stick, I found a thread saying the wires in the split throttle and yaw pedals are too short, causing spiking

I fixed my force3Dpro, shaking and center slop.

I opened up the stick and found that the X-Y sensors had alittle play, I wedged than glued them to the stick. now the center is tight and no shaking

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Crosshair VIII hero wifi, 3800x w/ Enermax 360 AIO cooler (push-pull), 32gigs DDR4 Ripjaws 3600, Win 10 home on a Plextor PCI-E x4 3gb/s HD, EVGA 2070 Super FTW3 ultra+, Soundblaster Z

Rift S, M$FFB2, CH Pro throttle, Saitek pedals

BS2, A10C, P51D, SPITFIRE, FC3, Uh-1H, F86, Mi-8MTV2, SA342, MIG21-bis, AV8BNA, F14, F16, FA-18C, SUPERCARRIER

wires in the split throttle and yaw pedals are too short, causing spiking

That's one of plenty issues, qualyfying G940 as "starter kit for great DYI joystick" :-)

Other I've found and corrected was spiking rudder axle and analog mini joystick returning values in incomplete range.

All of them eliminated: first by exchanging original wire harness with the one from old 3.5" floppy drive, second just by removal of base plate in pedals, and third... by intensive usage :-)

Natural Born Kamikaze

Depends of personal preferences. For me it's joyful, to fly Shark with G940.

Natural Born Kamikaze

• 2 weeks later...

make sure u put tape over the stick eye thingy

:thumbup:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Crosshair VIII hero wifi, 3800x w/ Enermax 360 AIO cooler (push-pull), 32gigs DDR4 Ripjaws 3600, Win 10 home on a Plextor PCI-E x4 3gb/s HD, EVGA 2070 Super FTW3 ultra+, Soundblaster Z

Rift S, M$FFB2, CH Pro throttle, Saitek pedals

BS2, A10C, P51D, SPITFIRE, FC3, Uh-1H, F86, Mi-8MTV2, SA342, MIG21-bis, AV8BNA, F14, F16, FA-18C, SUPERCARRIER

As an aside..a force feedback stick is best for this module?

FF sticks are best for every helicopter as they works with the trimming system.

The FF sticks are actually best for every aircraft as well because you can get feedback about stalls, high angle of attack, air breaks, gears on airstrip etc.

You don't need to watch values at all in most of the time as you feel the aircraft behavior.

Like with FF for KA-50 you feel all the transitions of the flight before you enter to a problem zones so you know when to avoid them.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.