Dora engine management.

otto

I keep blowing up my engines. I know some things about creating shot down planes :lol: but my poor engine management is becoming a problem.

I know you can use mw50 for 10 min with a 5 min brake but no more than 40 min in total.

But other than that not much.

What rpm should i use for cruise ?

What rpm should i use after i shut down mw50 ?

I opend my radiator flaps some 13 s worth. Should i open them fully ?

Any advice is welcome.

Think I read in the manual, cruise is 3,000 rpm. Thought I read 30 minutes all out max rpm. I blew the engine dog-fighting 15 or 20 minutes; I had some bullets damage taking hits.

The flight manual is in the Mods folder under the FW-190 aircraft, the Doc subfolder.

I bought the Dora today, I am still green using this aircraft.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• ED Team

Hmmm, strange, only time I really pop engines is when I am running it full open all the time, are you sticking it full open for long periods of time? Also, with the MW50, I use it in little bursts here and there, dunno if thats correct, but I dont turn it on and leave it for 10 mins....

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

I've lost more planes to engine loss than I've been shot down. I found cruising around 2500 rpm or less seems to help alot and don't stay above 3000 any longer than necessary. Keep the temps around 100 water 110-130 oil so adjust the radiator as needed. I've lost cold engines because I had the radiator full open when it didn't need to be and I've lost engines to MW50 that I know weren't running for 10 minutes. Watch your engine temps when your getting ready to cut off the MW50 because if they are too hot when you cut it off ... boom. 13-15 seconds radiator open is usually what I do when taking off and climbing. Adjust accordingly to what your doing (diving down, combat, or lots of turns). I'd give up my MW50 if it would keep all the Mustang 75 people from crying because frankly the Dora can compete without it.

Edited by fastfreddie

I've been doin trial and error, but have had better success with my engine than with my landing procedures :D

Taking off & climbing I'll open cooling fins 100%. I typically climb at max power or near there. When I'm in level flight/cruising speeds I'll reduce to around 2600 RPM and close the fins to roughly 30-50%. Sometimes in a dive or during combat I'll close them fully. I kick the boost on & off during combat. Usually turn on the boost for the extra zoom climb. If, during combat, my temps start to peak I'll open the cooling fins 100% and reduce throttle slightly when diving.

Again, this is just how I've been running it. Probably all wrong :)

Regarding the radiator flaps - I think it was Yo-Yo who mentioned that they are operated automatically by the MBG and that only under very special conditions a manual intervention would be necessary (i.e. extreme cold or heat). So I wonder if it is really necessary ... or helpfull to operate them constantly by hand. I mean, if it were designed to be used manually all the time, the engineers certainly would not have hid the turning knob under and behind the front dash?

(re: 1st Message)

Went on the Dogs of War server tonight with a 65% fuel load at takeoff and flew it to 5% when I landed it. Ran the engine constantly at 3,000 rpm about an hour and climbed to where I had contrail vapor. The engine ran good. I did not bother with using the cowl flaps. The Dora is really great at climbing quickly.

From reading the later posts from my earlier response, looks like I should be cruising at 2700 rpm.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 1 year later...

Virtual is engine Temperature and MW-50 pressure under full emergency power would say 190 engine is more robust then 109. 5 minutes normal emergency power but when your Temperature is in the limits you can hold it much longer.

without mw50 pressure your engine goes fast down.

Once you have tasted Flight, you will forever walk the Earth with your Eyes turned Skyward.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

9./JG27

I'm curious myself...just started flying the fw-190 and have meant to look around for the answers but never really felt the need. Seems to run like a dream and only thing I have managed is the throttle!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I7 4790K / EVGA 1080ti SC / 32GB DDR3 / 1TB SSD / Oculus Rift S / X-56 / MFG Crosswind V2 / ButtKicker + Simshaker for Aviators

I was doing some high-speed aerobatics the other day. How did this happen then? A random failyure?

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=167086

I've noticed the MW-50 pressure was zero all the time. So either the system wasn't switched on, or the tank was empty. I don't even know how the plane is set-up by default in mission editor after latest 1.5.3 patch, but I'm sure one cannot push the engine to max RPM and ATA too long without MW-50 working correctly.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

I've noticed the MW-50 pressure was zero all the time. So either the system wasn't switched on, or the tank was empty. I don't even know how the plane is set-up by default in mission editor after latest 1.5.3 patch, but I'm sure one cannot push the engine to max RPM and ATA too long without MW-50 working correctly.

So MW-50 helps in a non-overboosted regime?!

The mission is an IA mission "takeoff".

Ooops, You're right, without MW-50 the engine doesn't go above ~1.6 ATA. In that case, according to the manual, You should expect to blow it up after 30-few minutes :D. Who knows why it happened so soon then? 3 minutes is the limit for MW-50 + ~1.9 ATA, but that clearly wasn't the case here. You might want to test it more often to see if there's some new buggy behaviour, or it was random damage indeed.

Edited by Art-J

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

...Who knows why it happened so soon then? 3 minutes is the limit for MW-50 + ~1.9 ATA, ...

You can use MW50 for 10min (take care of water and oil temps!), afterwards a pause for at least 5min for cool down and then again 10min. You have a total of 26min for flying with MW50.

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | 32GB DDR4 RAM | NVidia RTX4080 | MSI B550 TOMAHAWK | Creative X-Fi Titanium | Win 10 Pro 64bit | Track IR4 Pro | Thrustmaster Warthog | Saitek Rudder Pedals

Ooops, You're right, without MW-50 the engine doesn't go above ~1.6 ATA. In that case, according to the manual, You should expect to blow it up after 30-few minutes :D. Who knows why it happened so soon then? 3 minutes is the limit for MW-50 + ~1.9 ATA, but that clearly wasn't the case here. You might want to test it more often to see if there's some new buggy behaviour, or it was random damage indeed.

Thanks for the info. My guess would be - too low airspeed at the tops of the several loops I did at full power.

Thanks for the info. My guess would be - too low airspeed at the tops of the several loops I did at full power.

That's my guess also, it made me cringe that you stayed at full power while so slow, usually that doesn't bode well. :)

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!

That's my guess also, it made me cringe that you stayed at full power while so slow, usually that doesn't bode well. :)

Even though I've read the manual twice I was completely unaware about the dangers of low speed high power flight, the temperature increase rate. I'll also have to practice using the temperature gauges. They are small and the small usable area on the scales makes it even harder.

I admit I haven't paid attention to temp and pressure gauges at all. So I assumed I blew my engine by exceeding one of the parameters. But that was not the case. I carefully watched the video http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=167086 again and at no point I was exceeding any operating range.