Engine start up

Hey guys

I do know that sometime's procedure's are not right down to the absolut tiny thing in this game.

Something convenient but realy strange is the simplified startup on the Mustang, it is the latest patch.

Normaly you need to prime the engine bevore ignition, but it is possible to switch magnetos on, turn the engine over and after 4 to 6 blades just put the fuel lever to run and it catches. Watch the video

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lOp4Np-uBM&ab_channel=scarcatch[/ame]

I dont think it is intentional and it should be looked @.

cheers

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

And that's a bug? :huh:

Also IRL whatever an aircraft manual says you can change things and still it works. Are real aircraft buggy?

S!

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

We've been recently long discussing about starting the engine, methods, how it works and how it doesn't. Almost every person there had their own method, all of us get engine started at first try. I don't think a little change in how you start the engine, little variations in order, even variations in how you prime, when you switch the magnetos, or even how you use mixture can be considered bugs. They all work, just like in RL.

S!

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

I used to have an old ford fiesta and it was imperative that you rocked the car near the rear left wheel arch before attempting to start it. That certainly wasn't mentioned in the handbook but if you didn't do it it wouldn't work. Certainly a bug.

Sort of on thread ;)

I used to have an old ford fiesta and it was imperative that you rocked the car near the rear left wheel arch before attempting to start it. That certainly wasn't mentioned in the handbook but if you didn't do it it wouldn't work. Certainly a bug.
Bug for sure :lol: :thumbup:.

S!

Provided the fuel pump is on and the ignition is working, any gasoline engine should start the first time given rotation and spark, in ideal conditions.

Priming (in general) has two functions: first, it is to ensure that the fuel lines and carburetor bowls are purged of air. If the engine has not been run dry, and the fuel system is a closed loop, then there should be fuel in the lines, and turning on the fuel supply will fill the carb; Second, priming provides a small amount of raw fuel into the throttle body, which will help the engine achieve a proper mixture during cold weather starts.

Since the "carburetor" in the Merlin engine is really just a fuel injector located inside the throttle body, there are no bowls to fill and fuel is available immediately upon demand, even in cold weather.

The only time this engine should require priming is in extremely cold weather when the injector cannot atomize the fuel fully, and there needs to be enough in the throttle body to evaporate into mixture. It is, in fact, possible to damage an engine by over-priming it. There are several possible ways for this to cause harm: over the long term, it will cause introduction of liquid fuel into the cylinders, where it runs down and contaminates the crankcase, thinning out the oil and stripping lubrication off the cylinder/piston on its way. In the immediate term, if too much fuel is introduced to the cylinder in liquid form, it will reduce the volume of the cylinder, thereby increasing compression and possibly causing damage to the valves.

This isn't a bug. Real life manuals describe the process of not using the marked primer switch but alternatively priming with the mixture lever.

Instead you are opening the mixture control to RUN while the fuel lines are pressurized. This does the same thing as priming. It's not the recommended practice because fuel delivery is not precise by how long the mixture control is left in RUN position. The metering delivered by the primer is much better for applying the correct amount of fuel reliably.

over the long term, it will cause introduction of liquid fuel into the cylinders, where it runs down and contaminates the crankcase, thinning out the oil and stripping lubrication off the cylinder/piston on its way.

How much would you have to prime for the fuel to strip the cylinders of their oil coat? 10 minutes?

Fuel in the oil system is not a real problem. Once the oil reaches operating temperatures, the fuel evaporates from the oil system. Same as when the oil is diluted prior to an expected cold start.

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!

How much would you have to prime for the fuel to strip the cylinders of their oil coat? 10 minutes?

Fuel in the oil system is not a real problem. Once the oil reaches operating temperatures, the fuel evaporates from the oil system. Same as when the oil is diluted prior to an expected cold start.

like i said, this would be something that would be a problem over the long term, in a real engine. Since we don't have persistent and cumulative engine wear in DCS, it will not be a problem here (unless, perhaps, you flush a gallon of gas through the engine, in which case hydrolock will be a more immediate problem)