RIP Jim Mackonochie

Wags

Having interacted with Jim many times over the years discussing ED products to be featured in our magazine, I am saddened to read this. He was a great person with a real dedication and love for his work. He will be deeply missed by this community.

Farewell Jim..

Chris

I met Jim several times and I can share that he was indeed a special persons that left you with a smile on your face. I saw him just last November in London. Very sad news indeed. My condolences.

Paco

I am shocked as I read this, I am very sorry for his family, his Friends and of course the ED Team.

Rest in Peace Jim :cry:

DCS-Tutorial-Collection       

BlackSharkDen - Helicopter only

Specs:: ASrock Z790 Pro RS; Intel i5-13600K @5,1Ghz; 64GB DDR5 RAM; RTX 3080 @10GB; Corsair RMX Serie 750; 2x SSD 850 EVO 1x860 EVO 500GB 1x nvme M.2 970 EVO 1TB; 1x nvme M.2 980 Pro 2TB+ 3 TB HDD

Hardware: Oculus Rift S; HOTAS Warthog; Saitek Rudder Pedals, K-51 Collective

A great man and a pioneer. He will be missed.

Salute from Finland.

System:

Windows 10 | i7-7700K @ 4.5 Ghz | 32GB of RAM | Nvidia GTX 1080, 3440x1440 | DELL Ultrawide U3415W | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 and 2 TB Seagate Barracuda | TM Warthog Hotas | SLAW F-16 Pedals | Oculus Rift CV1 and HTC Vive PRO VR

+ High fidelity F/A-18C simpit :)

I have commented on VEAO's page but reading some of the posts on this thread really pulls a heart string.

He sounds like he was a really nice guy and to hear of the way he has helped move (what I thought many years ago was becoming a declining genre) forwards true military simulation I am truly thankfull.

Can we respectfully celebrate his life and acheivements somehow? Perhaps a DCS voted community award every year for some enhancement/acheivement in his name?

RIP.

Can we respectfully celebrate his life and acheivements somehow? Perhaps a DCS voted community award every year for some enhancement/acheivement in his name?

RIP.

That's a good idea. I will contribute prizes for that.

We are dedicating DCS:Hawk in his name as it was our joint vision. A special skin is being made and will be displayed soon.

Chris

That's a good idea. I will contribute prizes for that.

We are dedicating DCS:Hawk in his name as it was our joint vision. A special skin is being made and will be displayed soon.

Chris

:thumbup: That's a wonderful idea Chris. Can't wait to see it. Also +1 to the annual awards.

Cowboy10uk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Fighter pilots make movies, Attack pilots make history, Helicopter pilots make heros.

:pilotfly: Corsair 570x Crystal Case, Intel 8700K O/clocked to 4.8ghz, 32GB Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3200 MHZ Ram, 2 x 1TB M2 drives, 2 x 4TB Hard Drives, Nvidia EVGA GTX 1080ti FTW, Maximus x Hero MB, H150i Cooler, 6 x Corsair LL120 RGB Fans And a bloody awful Pilot :doh:

Respects from Yo-Yo, translated from the Russian forum and re-posted here.

Jim Mackonochie has gone from us forever. Our producer, our source of inspiration. A British naval officer. A true gentleman.

Jim loved both the sea and the sky as a child loves - purely and unconditionally. He must have inherited this from his father, a crew member of the HMS Belfast and then a naval test pilot. Jim’s love for the sea affected his chosen profession and later, his passion for yacht racing. His love of the sky is what we are all indebted to for bringing to the world such amazing flight simulations. He stood at the foundation of the Flanker series, before that played a key role in the creation of the Falcon series, and before that participated in the birth of many other games. It’s hard to overestimate his influence in the modern flight simulation genre. In many ways he is responsible for the creation of a forward observer in DCS and the eventual expansion into controllable artillery and other ground units, as well as the formation of the DCS: Flying Legends series. Jim always demanded the impossible from us, but invariably his demands became realized and popular features.

Jim was also a wonderful person – kind, attentive, caring. Our TFC/ED colleagues from all over the world were always welcome in his home. It just so happens, that Jim was the first Englishman whom I got to know closely and you could say he adopted me to Great Britain. A country is no longer foreign when there is a home, in which you are always a welcome guest.

Now I feel a sudden emptiness, as if a piece of my heart has been torn out. Something that has not been completed, not heard through to the end, not finished saying…

Jim’s last post on the forum was short and symbolic: “yes”. That is the essential Jim – a man of a generation that saw the premier of “Yellow Submarine”, a bright individual that truly loved life.

Farewell, Jim. Rest in peace.

• Like 1

- EB

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Nothing is easy. Everything takes much longer.

The Parable of Jane's A-10

Forum Rules