What does ground power allow you to bypass?

Crunchy

In the A-10C; nothing, ground power is not needed

F-86 you need it to start AFAIK

Mig-21 and KA-50 ground power is not needed but recommended

I use it on the KA-50 to have all my system up and running by the time the engine are on.

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

In the A-10C; nothing, ground power is not needed

F-86 you need it to start AFAIK

Mig-21 and KA-50 ground power is not needed but recommended

I use it on the KA-50 to have all my system up and running by the time the engine are on.

Dang. I never actually considered that using ground power would let me set up all the systems in my KA50 while the engines are spooling up. This will save me some time. :D

Might sound a silly question, but what does ground power allow you to bypass in the A10C or another aircraft for that matter? I'm new to this so want to learn all I can. Thanks!

The biggest advantage to ground power is...it's silent! When teaching someone how to preflight you don't have to fight the noise of the Abu to be heard.

The second biggest advantage is its almost instantly available. Cuts down the time from spawn until the INS is aligned.

Just don't forget to have the crew chief remove it prior to Taxi...they get a little testy if ya drag them down the taxiway by their headset.

Sierra

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Primary Computer

ASUS Z390-P, i7-9700K CPU @ 5.0Ghz, 32GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 @ 3200Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce 1070 Ti AMP Extreme, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe drives (1Tb & 500 Gb), Windows 10 Professional, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Warthog Stick, Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle, Cougar MFDs x3, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals and TrackIR 5.

-={TAC}=-DCS Server

Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3, i7-3770K CPU @ 3.90GHz, 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 @ 1600Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 970.

Well TBH, I haven't used the GP at all lately. Get the engines running and warmed up, run the tests, switch on the generators and proceed from there with the systems - and you're all done in 10 minutes or less. OK, booting up & testing the systems off the GP may still shave off a minute or two, but I prefer my method regardless because it's simple and straightforward...

The DCS Mi-8MTV2. The best aviational BBW experience you could ever dream of.

wouldn't you need bleed air to get spool the engines up though? or purely electronics training? :)

Well, yeah...I should have said you can do everything just short of starting engines.:music_whistling:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Primary Computer

ASUS Z390-P, i7-9700K CPU @ 5.0Ghz, 32GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 @ 3200Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce 1070 Ti AMP Extreme, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe drives (1Tb & 500 Gb), Windows 10 Professional, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Warthog Stick, Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle, Cougar MFDs x3, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals and TrackIR 5.

-={TAC}=-DCS Server

Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3, i7-3770K CPU @ 3.90GHz, 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 @ 1600Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 970.

Might sound a silly question, but what does ground power allow you to bypass in the A10C or another aircraft for that matter? I'm new to this so want to learn all I can. Thanks!

I use GP all the time for start up. It allows you to power up the systems very quickly instead of waiting for APU or engine generator power, but this is just my preference and I know a lot of people don't like to use it. On the other hand, GP is very helpful when you come in to do a repair. You can shut the engines down and not have to worry about having to align or bring systems back up after the repair is completed. You just start your APU and then engines and you're back up and running again in very little time.

• Like 1

Nvidia GTX-1080

Intel i7-4820K 3.7 Ghz

ASUS ROG Rampage IV Extreme MB

32 GB Memory

Windows 7 Pro 64 Bit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The ground power lets you start engines without running the APU. Electrical systems can work from the ground power without using fuel from engines or APU.

It lets to start engines without APU generator, but not without APU (at least in 1.5 open beta).

i5-9600K / RTX 2060 / 32 GB DDR4-3200 CL16 / Win10 x64 / Cobra M5 (BRD)+ Gametrix ECS / Opentrack

One other consideration - in real life you may have an inop apu. you could start the airplane up using ground power and a ground air cart. The ground air cart is not modeled in DCS of course.

In dcs i use ground power on the a-10 to get the alignment done a bit faster than waiting for the apu to spool. Also allows me to set everything else up for 2-3 minutes without listening to the apu whine.

I never use Ground power in the Shark. I can start her up in less time and be flying, than it takes for the HUD to show.

Anything with a Rotary Wing is fun and challenging.

Use SRS radio.

Saitek X55 Modding

System Specs

Mixed Metals: i7 4790K@4.6, 32GB Kingston HyperX ram@2400Mhz, Gigabyte GA-Z97MX Gaming 5, ASUS Vega 64, 3xSamsung SSD drives, FSP Aurum 1000W PSU, Custom watercooling with EK blocks, Vive, Virpil MT 50, X55 throttle.