DCS A-10C QUESTIONS

Peyoteros

Ok I have the TM Warthog stick and throttle, can some one tell me what the paddle switch is for in the real A-10C? Also I was hoping to set it up to make the view hat on the control stick switch from "view" to AC trim and then go back to view. Anyone know if that can be done? Thanks.

... and isn't there at all in the real A-10C.

Ummm...

800px-Fairchild-Republic_A-10A_Thunderbolt_II_Cockpit_Cold_War_NMUSAF_26Sep09_%2814600183995%29.jpg

I know it's an A-10A but the stick did not change.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Maybe I misunderstand something but that clearly isn't an A-10C!?

No, it is an A-10A cockpit.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Ummm...

800px-Fairchild-Republic_A-10A_Thunderbolt_II_Cockpit_Cold_War_NMUSAF_26Sep09_%2814600183995%29.jpg

I know it's an A-10A but the stick did not change.

What do you mean? AFAIK the stick on the C version is different from the one on the A version.

5874756631_a1cca13542_b.jpg

As you can see the paddle isn't there.

I went to the Set controls menu wile flying and cant seem to find the "shiftstate" in the menu. Can you help ferther?
It should be a "MODIFIERS" button in the bottom row. Hit the paddle when the popup menu appears and from that moment on the paddle will act as a modifier.
Edited by Gliptal

As you can see the paddle isn't there.

It's not? Then what is this.

paddle_zpsiie3jroh.jpg

It's not? Then what is this.

paddle_zpsiie3jroh.jpg

It is a lock button to adjust/replace the handle, as far as I remember an old post from PaulrkIII correct.

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

You have two (Control stick grips) the original is a B-8 as shown in the A-10A picture. The second is made by Essex For the A-10C basically an F-16 grip minus the shown paddle . This is what the actual grip is called.

The Control stick grips are mounted to the control stick with the large aluminum knurled locking ring witch is locked in to the closed position with three Allen screws.

The control stick is the same in both the A-10A and A-10C. On the control stick you have the Control stick grip, Anti Skid/ SAS emergency disconnect switch (The yellow and black striped paddle switch mounted on the stick) and the Stick shaker (Shakes the stick to warn of a stall) mounted.

The control stick is then mounted to the floor of the cockpit with a mounting block and attached top the Control stick out put crank. To transfer the Control stick movement to the push rods.

• Like 1

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/a-10c-warthog-supplies

https://forum.dcs.world/topic/133818-deadmans-cockpit-base-plans/#comment-133824

CNCs and Laser engravers are great but they can't do squat with out a precise set of plans.

Thanks! I stand corrected... I shouldnt try to remember things from 5 Years ago :D

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

It means that when you are running in for your attack, your heading should read anywhere between 0 degrees and 180 degrees. In other words, you can do any of the following:

• From South to North (this is 0 degrees)
  • From South-West to North-East (45 degrees)
  • From West to East (90 degrees)
  • Form North-West to South-East (135 degrees)
  • From North to South (180 degrees)
  • or anything in between

You should not attack from any direction resembling East to West.

In addition, the JTAC may give you an egress direction. The purpose for controlling attack headings is to control the direction of the blast and fragmentation so that it doesn't hit friendlies. It can also be to ensure that if a laser is in use, your aircraft or weapons lock on where the laser is pointing, not where it is emanating from (if you have a laser pointer at home, you know that you can see the laser coming from the aperture too). It's also to keep you from overflying enemy anti-air defenses.

• Like 1

It means that when you are running in for your attack, your heading should read anywhere between 0 degrees and 180 degrees. In other words, you can do any of the following:

• From South to North (this is 0 degrees)
  • From South-West to North-East (45 degrees)
  • From West to East (90 degrees)
  • Form North-West to South-East (135 degrees)
  • From North to South (180 degrees)
  • or anything in between

You should not attack from any direction resembling East to West.

In addition, the JTAC may give you an egress direction. The purpose for controlling attack headings is to control the direction of the blast and fragmentation so that it doesn't hit friendlies. It can also be to ensure that if a laser is in use, your aircraft or weapons lock on where the laser is pointing, not where it is emanating from (if you have a laser pointer at home, you know that you can see the laser coming from the aperture too). It's also to keep you from overflying enemy anti-air defenses.

Thanks for the thorough explanation!

Hi guys, I have a question about the ground tracking with Mavs on the A-10C. So I hit TMS Down short (or whatever the button is, I can't remember name off top of my head) and the Mav image stays in its place, but as soon as I try to slew it again, the ground tracking goes away and the image flies everywhere and it's frustrating trying to lock up a target. Is it supposed to do this? If it is, how can I compensate for it or work around it?

Reason I'm asking is because after I slave the Mav to the TGP SPI (right on the target), the Mav doesn't lock right away and obviously you have to make a tiny slew movement for it to lock, but sometimes even the smallest movements get it off target, especially if the plane is banking a little...etc.

Thanks for the help!

AMD 5600X -- Gigabyte RTX 3070 Vision -- 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 -- HP Reverb G2 -- Logitech 3D Extreme Pro -- Thrustmaster TWCS

BRRRT!  Car and aviation enthusiast, gun nut and computer nerd! 🙂

Reason I'm asking is because after I slave the Mav to the TGP SPI (right on the target), the Mav doesn't lock right away and obviously you have to make a tiny slew movement for it to lock [...]

Or hit TMS up short (function with Mav as SOI is called "Track"). :thumbup:

Or hit TMS up short (function with Mav as SOI is called "Track"). :thumbup:

Wait, all you gotta do is hit TMS up short once you slave it to the SPI??!!?!!

Also, is force correlate mode supposed to be as hard to use as it is? Like it's difficult to input small or minute adjustments.

AMD 5600X -- Gigabyte RTX 3070 Vision -- 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 -- HP Reverb G2 -- Logitech 3D Extreme Pro -- Thrustmaster TWCS

Wait, all you gotta do is hit TMS up short once you slave it to the SPI??!!?!!

Yup. With Mav as SOI, TMS up short will Track (Lock) the target under the Mav cursor (if there is one, and it's within locking range), so you don't have to slew the seeker away. :thumbup:

Also, is force correlate mode supposed to be as hard to use as it is? Like it's difficult to input small or minute adjustments.

I hardly ever use Force Correlate, but once you've slaved all to SPI, I believe you can set the TGP as SPI generator and then the Mav seeker should just follow the TGP (which has more magnification, is ground stabilized, and thus much easier to use).

Be aware though that AFAIK in DCS this works a lot better than in real life, so sniping targets from 10+ miles out with Force Correlate is not quite realistic.

Yup. With Mav as SOI, TMS up short will Track (Lock) the target under the Mav cursor (if there is one, and it's within locking range), so you don't have to slew the seeker away. :thumbup:

I hardly ever use Force Correlate, but once you've slaved all to SPI, I believe you can set the TGP as SPI generator and then the Mav seeker should just follow the TGP (which has more magnification, is ground stabilized, and thus much easier to use).

Be aware though that AFAIK in DCS this works a lot better than in real life, so sniping targets from 10+ miles out with Force Correlate is not quite realistic.

Hmm, so do I set the target as SPI with my TGP, switch to Mavericks, slave to SPI, then switch back to TGP and move around using TGP?

Hmm, so do I set the target as SPI with my TGP, switch to Mavericks, slave to SPI, then switch back to TGP and move around using TGP?

You're thinking too complicated. ;)

Basically, you can omit step 2 of what you wrote above.

With TGP as SPI generator, when you Slave All to SPI, that includes Mavericks.

(To be more precise, whatever the SPI generator is, Slave All to SPI will always slave all available sensors to that SPI)

So if you set up the TGP on the left MFCD and Mav on the right MFCD, make sure the TGP is both SOI and SPI generator (check lower left corner of HUD, it should read "TGP"), Slave All to SPI, and then the Mav seeker will follow the TGP without ever having been SOI. And that's how you can use Force Correlate (in-game) to fire at targets way beyond the Mav's locking range. :thumbup:

There's one really important point here which I only learned after flying the A-10C for 2 years or so: The Sensor Point of Interest (SPI) is not whatever the TGP has locked. The SPI is generated continually. So if the TGP is SPI generator, the SPI will be whatever the TGP is looking at, whether it's a target or a dry piece of desert or Saturn.

Therefore, Slave All to SPI will follow the SPI where ever it is currently pointed.

The SPI generator is always given in the lower left corner of the HUD. By default, it's STPT (Steerpoint), and whatever is your SOI, you can make it SPI generator with TMS Up Long (meaning that TMS Up Long is not "lock target", it's really "Set SPI generator" aka "Make SPI").

I hope this makes things a bit more clear, but maybe someone else can chime in and explain things in a different way because this really is a difficult topic and I think it helps to get another look at the same thing in order to understand it. :)