How to attack tanks

rpayne88

How do you attack tanks without getting shot up? I just tried a gun run on some T-55s, and they shot back. They didn't take down my aircraft, but they did take out the CICU and right MFCD with just a .50.

Yes, I know I could hit them with JDAMS, MAVs, ect., but I wanted to try doind what the A-10 was made for in the first place: killing tanks with a GAU-8/A.

From the rear fire at .7nm or less and break off as quick as you can, if there's multiple tanks I usually take hits from ridiculously accurate gunners.

Wags said in one of his 2.0 preview streams a while ago that there was going to be an option in the mission editor to toggle if vehicles will engage aircraft, doesn't look like that feature made it in (yet?) :(

Intel 9600K@4.9GHz, Asus Z390, 32GB DDR4, EVGA RTX 3070, Custom Water Cooling, 970 EVO 1TB NVMe

34" UltraWide 3440x1440 Curved Monitor, 21" Touch Screen MFD monitor, TIR5

My Pit Build, VKB Gunfighter Pro w/WH Grip, TMWH Throttle, MFG Crosswinds W/Combat Pedals, Cougar MFDs, Custom A-10C panels, Custom Helo Collective, SimShaker with Transducer

It's very important to watch for muzzle flash from your target. If you see them shoot back while you're on your strafing run, you have less than 1 second to jink (maneuver hard out of the way) before their munitions hit you.

It's pretty hard to resist the urge to stay on the target "just a liiiitle bit more" so you can blast them into oblivion, but it will end up as mutual destruction if you don't have discipline. Break off, chaff and flare, and climb. You'll get another chance to kill him.

I created a mission to help train on tank busting. I can fly around the tanks without getting hit all day long now that I've practiced. The trick is to use rudder and also move across two axis at the same time. My mission talks you through it. It includes voice instruction.

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=72549

It's a good thing that this is Early Access and we've all volunteered to help test and enhance this work in progress... despite the frustrations inherent in the task with even the simplest of software... otherwise people might not understand that this incredibly complex unfinished module is unfinished. /light-hearted sarcasm

It's very important to watch for muzzle flash from your target. If you see them shoot back while you're on your strafing run, you have less than 1 second to jink (maneuver hard out of the way) before their munitions hit you.

It's pretty hard to resist the urge to stay on the target "just a liiiitle bit more" so you can blast them into oblivion, but it will end up as mutual destruction if you don't have discipline. Break off, chaff and flare, and climb. You'll get another chance to kill him.

Why would you chaff and flare when you are avoiding a tank?

There could be a guy in the bushes next to the tank, with a shoulder mounted MANPAD.

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

Well in that case you would use it, but the guy didn't mention that. He spoke about chaff and flare been used to avoid a tank.

It's to stay in the habit of doing it. Chaff and flare before a missile launch can prevent a missile from getting lock in the first place, so it's a good idea to do it even before you are aware that you're being engaged. Obviously you don't need it if you designed the mission and didn't put in any threats. That's not the point.

Anyway, I'm not an IRL pilot. Perhaps someone more knowledgeable will come in and comment on this eventually.