Aries Radio System

towsim

Did you start the installer with administrator rights as suggested ?

Regards

Mike

I didn't but I'm running as an Admin with UAC disabled anyway so don't normally have to worry about such things. I did just test by running the installer as Admin and it didn't make any difference.

I did the manual install as per the guide anyway and noticed what appears to be one oversight, in that it doesn't tell the user to change the path in AriesRadio.ini, copied to the TS3\plugins\AriesRadio folder, to point to the DCS World install folder, ie for me it is D:\Games\DCS World\AriesWings

I haven't had a chance to test it properly yet but thanks, it looks like a great addition to DCS :thumbup:

Main rig: i5-4670k @4.4Ghz, Asus Z97-A, Scythe Kotetsu HSF, 32GB Kingston Savage 2400Mhz DDR3, 1070ti, Win 10 x64, Samsung Evo 256GB SSD (OS & Data), OCZ 480GB SSD (Games), WD 2TB and WD 3TB HDDs, 1920x1200 Dell U2412M, 1920x1080 Dell P2314T touchscreen

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I was only using the Aries flight radio mod and not the Gossip box.

I thought I could use Aries FR since the overlay was on when I was GC.

Do I have to use Gossip box for ground units?

I have PTT on my HOTAS Warthog and it was working when I was in a plane.

All airbone radios hear eachother.

I see the activated freq. on both the other guys and myself as well.

Regards Agaton.

I am a little bit off. So we need to clarify what you are using. Meanwhile there are 3 possibilities. One is the DCS airborne radio, the second would be the airborne radio standalone version and the last is the Gossip Box. I think it would be an idea to send the protocol files of the device you are using to my support address . It is support@ariescon.com. Then I can see how I can help you. Make a short note what device you were using.

The type of device, ground radio or airborne radio is not important for use. As long as you are on the same frequency with the other participants, it should work. There is another issue which I did not clearly mention in the manual. Only one device is allowed to be active on a single computer. You can drive only one radio per computer. The TeamSpeak plugin accepts only one client at a time.

Regards,

Mike

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I am a little bit off. So we need to clarify what you are using. Meanwhile there are 3 possibilities. One is the DCS airborne radio, the second would be the airborne radio standalone version and the last is the Gossip Box. I think it would be an idea to send the protocol files of the device you are using to my support address . It is support@ariescon.com. Then I can see how I can help you. Make a short note what device you were using.

The type of device, ground radio or airborne radio is not important for use. As long as you are on the same frequency with the other participants, it should work. There is another issue which I did not clearly mention in the manual. Only one device is allowed to be active on a single computer. You can drive only one radio per computer. The TeamSpeak plugin accepts only one client at a time.

Regards,

Mike

:) Sorry for being unclear.

I have used the Aries radio for DCS (http://ariescon.com/index1.html). And the funny thing is it was working with everything except Combined arms vehicles. I heard them when I was in a CA vihecle but the other guys did not hear me. Everything appeared to look correct in TS with frequencies, at least from what I could see.

Ok, which files do you want to have?

Thanks for taking the time trying to solve this, I appreciate it:thumbup:

Regards Agaton

Ok, now it's very clear. CA vehicles are a bit tricky. DCS becomes a bearer of secrets in this case. In difference to airborne vehicles there are no information available what type of vehicle is driving the game for the moment. So I am dealing with the recognition of absence of information. This is measured by a timeout value which is not that reliable. But you can circumnavigate this bug by selecting an aircraft first and then change to a CA vehicle of your choice online. The Radio of the latest selected aircraft remains active and can be used with the CA vehicle. This procedure is not that comfortable, but I am working on a better solution. BTW if you use the Gossip Box or the standalone version as Ground commander, you do not run into this troubles and you have the better comfort.

Hope that helps,

Mike

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Before I try it, question: does it simulate radio signal quality and distortions as in FM or AM signals, radio horizon based on altitude, terrain (visibility of antennas), and other radio wave effects?

51PVO Founding member (DEC2007-)

100KIAP Founding member (DEC2018-)

:: Shaman aka [100☭] Shamansky

tail# 44 or 444

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] 100KIAP Regiment Early Warning & Control officer

@shamandgg

Not yet. These functions are planned for version 2.0.

the voice modulation is planned. There is already a background noise function build in but not released yet. It let you hear some engine noise of the senders aircraft in dependence of his model. The short squelch when releasing the MIC button is even planned. I am looking for a good WAV file. The range and power reduction will come with Version 2.0 when the first radar is released. It will follow the official FAA radio power distribution model.

Ok, now it's very clear. CA vehicles are a bit tricky. DCS becomes a bearer of secrets in this case. In difference to airborne vehicles there are no information available what type of vehicle is driving the game for the moment. So I am dealing with the recognition of absence of information. This is measured by a timeout value which is not that reliable. But you can circumnavigate this bug by selecting an aircraft first and then change to a CA vehicle of your choice online. The Radio of the latest selected aircraft remains active and can be used with the CA vehicle. This procedure is not that comfortable, but I am working on a better solution. BTW if you use the Gossip Box or the standalone version as Ground commander, you do not run into this troubles and you have the better comfort.

Hope that helps,

Mike

Great, I tested it now as you said and I got it to work. :)

How does the standalone version work?

Edited by Agaton

Sorry, its a process issue. It will be solved with the next release in about a Week. The new version will have some advanced features like:

• Type dependent background noise on frequency.
  • audible Transmission end click.
  • Range dependent receiver quality.
  • Listening watch on guard if switched to 'both'.

Regards

Mike

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

@TACOM

The attachment contains a modified configurator application.

• Copy the executable to the folder C:\Program Files\AriesWings\GossipBox.
  • Delete the new created profile file (nnn.pro) with the name of your selection in it.
  • Start the new configuration program and select the ACC profile again.
  • Make your modifications and save the results.

Alternatively:

• Open Default_ACC.pro with NotePad
  • Copy the two sections:

[uHFbackup]

frequency=225000000

label=UHF backup

volume=0.190144

[VHFbackup]

frequency=117975000

label=VHF backup

volume=0.199414

to your new created profile.

Both methods should work. In any case, use the new configuration application for the future.

Regards,

Mike

GossipBoxConfigurator.zip

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 1 month later...

Aries Airborne Radio new version 1.202

Aries Airborne Radio V 1.202

Panel.jpg

New features and Bug Fixes:

• Feature: The Airborne Radio is now range limited. A transmitter power on about 29 Watts is assumed which results in a maximum range of 220 NM. A second limitation is the line of sight which is measured from the transmitter location to the current horizon. The latter is altitude dependent. When reaching 80% of the calculated range the voice quality will decrease step by step. The result is stuttering or white noise reception.
  • Feature: As soon as a transmitter releases the PTT button, the receiver will hear a 'click'. The click is produced in the receiver while the automatic white noise suppression fights again the shrinking energy of the transmission. There is a short uncertainty phase while the receiver raises the amplification where no transmitter energy is present. As a result, the always present white noise will be amplified for a fraction of a second until the receiver notices the zero energy. This is heard as perfectly clear click. Over the decades, the 'click' meanwhile is noticed as the former used word 'over' in a radio communication.
  • Feature: Background noise is now audible on the frequency, depending of the type of aircraft. Background noise is produced for A-10C , KA50, UH1H and P51. However, as long as the user sits in a pit it will be hard to hear the background noise on a frequency. Because the own environment noise covers the noise on the frequency. It can be clearly recognized if the Gossip Box is used as receiver.
  • Feature: The installation process is now done with the windows installer. The advantages are a standardized user interface and a registration in the operating system which guarantees a clean uninstall if desired. Nevertheless, the installation should be done with administrator rights.
  • Feature: The design of the radio panels was reworked to show a more professional technical surface. This work was done by 'The Fragger' who is even the originator of the BO105 project.

It is highly recommended to read the Quick Installation Guide before starting the Installation. The document is available as PDF in the software package.

Several bug fixes were done. For details see the change log at http://ariescon.com/ChangeLog.pdf

The new version is ready for download at http://ariescon.com/index10.html

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hey guys.

I´m having trouble installing AriesWings.

When i try running the setup.exe in admin mode, the installation is terminated, as soon as the black dos-box window opens.

Then i´ve tried a manual installation, files provided by another user. I did it as described in the (old) manual installation guide. No joy, too.

I can´t hear others ingame and i´m not able to bring up the radio frequency window.

Any ideas how to get rid of those problems?

The program itself looks awesome, as does the rest of your stuff!

@Soulreceiver

The black terminal window (setup.exe) is a program which looks for the local TeamSpeak istallation path and stores the result in the registry (64bit). If this fails, the installer would report it.

If you do not see the installer after the terminal window closes then it is most likely, that the installation package is not complete or destroyed. It seems, that DCSABRDO.exe cannot be found in the folder.

When you unzip AriesWingsRadio.zip, you should have in one and the same folder:

• setup.exe
  • DCSABRDO.exe
  • DCSW_ABRadio.msi

The installation is started with setup.exe. In any case, if the DCS installation or the TeamSpeak installation cannot be found, the installer would report it.

The manual installation is not longer valid because of the windows installer. If you still have troubles, please contact Aries Wings support directly at support@ariescon.com.

Regards

Mike

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 2 weeks later...

I take it that for installation paths different than the default, this is a no-go at the moment? The installer doesn't work but exits with an error message about not being able to detect the DCS World installation.

The manual installation process obviously does not work any more, as it is now an MSI.

We tried lifting the files manually from a friends install. It works, but the configuration tool won't start as it can't find the location of DCS World.

Editing the Export.lua and starting DCS World led to Aries being active in DCS World, the background helper app opening and the frequencies registering. Others could see my set frequencies in TS and when I was transmitting, but I couldn't hear anything or be heard until eavesdropping was activated.

Any plans on fixing the installer and configuration tool to accept non-default install paths anytime soon?

Cheers,

/Fred

The installation logic of an addon is a nightmare. There is not only DCS World to be checked. Even TeamSpeak has to be checked. And last not least, the saved games folder . All three locations can be modified by the user. Nevertheless, a new manual installation guide is under construction and will be published in a couple of days.

Mike

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thanks.

For a non-default installation path, will creating a fake C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\AriesWings folder enable the configurator to work?

I guess you could either modify the Export.lua entry to point out this fake AriesWings directory, using a full path, or you could modify the files in the fake path with the configurator and copy them to AriesWings in the real DCS World install directory?

What would work the best? Would either option work at all?

Cheers,

/Fred

DCS World needs to find the 'scripts' folder where it gets Export.lua. There is obviously no method to change this convention.

The 'AriesWings' folder is bound to a relative path to find the AriesRadio.dll. The base to this path is always the current DCS World installation folder which is automatically active if DCS World is started. Therefore it is important, that the 'AriesWings' Folder is in the DCS World Folder tree.

To answer the question:

It doesn't matter where DCS World is located as long as the AriesWings Folder is created in this DCS World folder. The fake folder will not work. The other requirement is, that the 'scripts' folder is found by DCS World to evaluate the Export.lua.

Regards

Mike

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

With the update to Version 1.2.5.16508, DCS has changed the timing a bit during a mission shutdown, Aries Radio crashes DCS World when a mission ends. The bug is already solved and we will publish an update package on Friday, August 16th.

Sorry

Mike

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Like advertized in my last post, the version 1.22 of Aries Airborne radio is published. The following changes were made:

• Crash of DCS World at the end of a mission is solved.
  • The handling of Combined Arms vehicles is now reliable. The mode is recognized at the begin of a mission as well as during a vehicle change on the fly.
  • To enable and disable the connection between Aries Radio and DCS World via Export.lua, an additional dialog opens in TeamSpeak3. This ensures the recognition of the current connection status.

The software is available as free download at http://ariescon.com/index10.html.

Before the installation starts, please read the 'ImportantReadme.txt' in the download package.

Mike

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Boss,

With your newest version v1.22 I experienced the following issue with Helios:

My Helios Gauges are only updated about once a second. -> Slideshow

Testing revealed that replacing the "AriesRadio.luac" with the one from version v1.202 resolves the issue -> Helios Gauges are updated 20 times per second again. Therfore, unfortunately my DCS crashes when ending a mission with this older *.luac file.

So please, maybe you could look into the differences of those two "AriesRadio.luac" files and find a clue what causes the issue with HELIOS.

Despite this HELIOS-issue, Aries Radio 1.22 works like charm, so far. Thank You !

Windows 10, I7 8700k@5,15GHz, 32GB Ram, GTX1080, HOTAS Warthog, Oculus Rift CV1, Obutto R3volution, Buttkicker

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] ЯБоГ32_Принз