What happened to my instruments?

Reflected

A weird thing happened to me online yesterday. I flew an almost night mission. It took me 3 tries to start the engine, having to put the throttle back to cut because the engine didn't rev up. My EGT got high for a few seconds.

I took off, and as I was climbing through the soup, at 18000 feet and mach 9.5 both of my ASI-s started going down slowly to zero. After intercepting a MIG I descended back to base, and my climb indicator was playing funny too, showing zero while descending, and my altimeter slowed down. I was diving, close to the ground and it showed 15000 feet.

Then when I was at 500 feet above the water, they all started working again.

What on Earth happened? :helpsmilie:

Sounds like a classic case of not turning on pitot heaters. You had ice in your pitots which caused your airspeed to read 0kts when fully developed. once returning to lower altitude (with warmer air) the ice melted and your readings returned.

Truly superior pilots are those that use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills.

If you ever find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

"If at first you don't succeed, Carrier Landings are not for you!"

Sounds like a classic case of not turning on pitot heaters. You had ice in your pitots which caused your airspeed to read 0kts when fully developed. once returning to lower altitude (with warmer air) the ice melted and your readings returned.

Amazing level of details...I love the fact that this can happen in DCS!!! :pilotfly:

The level of detail fails though when you get killed in such a mishap and can post on a forum asking questions as to what went wrong. I think that after one unsurvivable mishap, your DCS World should become locked along with access to forums.

I think that after one unsurvivable mishap, your DCS World should become locked along with access to forums.

LOL! If this were true the you would not be here to read and post this...not to mention these forums would be a barren place and ghostly indeed! :lol:

• Like 1

Cooler Master HAF XB EVO , ASUS P8Z77-V, i7-3770K @ 4.6GHz, Noctua AC, 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, EVGA 1080TI 11GB, 2 Samsung 840 Pro 540GB SSDs Raid 0, 1TB HDD, EVGA SuperNOVA 1300W PS, G930 Wireless SS Headset, TrackIR5/Wireless Proclip, TM Warthog, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, 75" Samsung 4K QLED, HP Reverb G2, Win 10

Sounds like pitot icing indeed. And while we're here, don't forget to turn on oxygen systems if You intend to fly much higher. They're off by default and have been causing lots of hypoxia problems for unaware players since the release of this module :D.

As for the startup problems and high EGT - compressor stall? It's easy to get it when moving throttle lever to outboard position too early. Generally, it's generally easier to stall Sabre's engine nowadays after recent patches.

Edited by Art-J

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

... at 18000 feet and mach 9.5 ...

I kinda doubt you were at mach 9.5 :D

"Long life It is a waste not to notice that it is not noticed that it is milk in the title." Amazon.co.jp review for milk translated from Japanese

"Amidst the blue skies, A link from past to future. The sheltering wings of the protector..." - ACE COMBAT 4

"Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight"-Psalm 144:1 KJV

i5-4430 at 3.00GHz, 8GB RAM, GTX 1060 FE, Windows 7 x64

oh, then you must have meant mach 95.0 :music_whistling:

FIREFOX CONFIRMED!

"Long life It is a waste not to notice that it is not noticed that it is milk in the title." Amazon.co.jp review for milk translated from Japanese

"Amidst the blue skies, A link from past to future. The sheltering wings of the protector..." - ACE COMBAT 4

"Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight"-Psalm 144:1 KJV

i5-4430 at 3.00GHz, 8GB RAM, GTX 1060 FE, Windows 7 x64