[MOOSE] Remote control of spawned units

Whisper

EDIT : changed th OT a little, the issue is not MOOSE related but a CA issue, see below.

Hello,

As suggested in the CA sub-forum, I'm reposting my question here :

Not too sure of where this message should be posted, as it may be a CA issue/limitation, multiplayer thing or even specific scripting engine used.

Anyway : while building mission for an upcoming multiplayer scenario, I wanted to act as a kind of supervisor and leave me with the ability to spawn aircrafts and ground units, and then take control of them through CA.

I ended up using MOOSE for handling the actual group spawning.

It works fine with ground units. I spawn units via radio calls, and for manageable units, I can use the "remote control" button and control them.

It's not working for air units, though :

* while testing in SP, if I define a Inactive Mig29 group as a MOOSE template and spawn it in game, I can jump in the cockpit via the CA remote control button in F10 view (I own FC3 module, so can fly Mig29)

* But while being a client of a server running the mission : the remote button is inactive. The plane is spawned but I can't tanke control of it.

Is it a known limitation I missed in the manual? Or could it be due to implementation somewhere (how I call for spawning, MOOSE being not compatible, , anything else....), but should be possible if done properly?

Edited by Whisper

Whisper of old OFP & C6 forums, now Kalbuth.

Specs : i7 6700K / MSI 1070 / 32G RAM / SSD / Rift S / Virpil MongooseT50 / Virpil T50 CM2 Throttle / MFG Crosswind.

All but Viggen, Yak52 & F16

Hi there.

if I define a Inactive Mig29 group as a MOOSE template and spawn it in game, I can jump in the cockpit

I might be very wrong but if I understand it correctly, you can control the plane in single player mission but not in multiplayer mission. That could be the limitation of current scripting engine.

I a few weeks ago had a series of tries of spawning player-controllable aircraft dynamically(by dynamically, I meant I don't add the a/c group in the mission editor, but use this during the mission at some point

coalition.addGroup(enum countryId, enum groupCategory, table groupData )

more of which you can read on hoggit wiki. But here is what I have. I got no problem spawning a group(with only one unit in it) with skill equals to "average", "hard", "excellent" or "player", but not "client"(if I tried to do that I got an internal scripting error). I was bothered by this for a long time and I notice in the description it says

Function can NOT spawn new aircraft with a skill level of "client". However in single player a group can be spawned with the skill level of "Player"

So my theory is, that when you spawn a mig29 in your SP mission and take control of it, the skill level is seen by DCS as "player"; when you do the same thing online, MOOSE or MIST, or DCS's own function cannot spawn a unit with a skill level "client". Instead of doing that, it spawns an A.I. controlled unit.

As I've said before I could be very wrong on this but here is my two cents.

Edited by Yukari
typos

Nooooooooo

Hello,

As suggested in the CA sub-forum, I'm reposting my question here :

Not too sure of where this message should be posted, as it may be a CA issue/limitation, multiplayer thing or even specific scripting engine used.

Anyway : while building mission for an upcoming multiplayer scenario, I wanted to act as a kind of supervisor and leave me with the ability to spawn aircrafts and ground units, and then take control of them through CA.

I ended up using MOOSE for handling the actual group spawning.

It works fine with ground units. I spawn units via radio calls, and for manageable units, I can use the "remote control" button and control them.

It's not working for air units, though :

* while testing in SP, if I define a Inactive Mig29 group as a MOOSE template and spawn it in game, I can jump in the cockpit via the CA remote control button in F10 view (I own FC3 module, so can fly Mig29)

* But while being a client of a server running the mission : the remote button is inactive. The plane is spawned but I can't tanke control of it.

Is it a known limitation I missed in the manual? Or could it be due to implementation somewhere (how I call for spawning, MOOSE being not compatible, , anything else....), but should be possible if done properly?

I see... Here is the designer of Moose talking :-)

There are currently several issues (bugs) with the game in multi player clients.

So, if i understand, you are using the SPAWN class to spawn groups into your game, right?

What do you mean with "remote control" button? Can you submit a screenshot?

[TABLE][sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]|

[/TABLE]

I see... Here is the designer of Moose talking :-)

There are currently several issues (bugs) with the game in multi player clients.

So, if i understand, you are using the SPAWN class to spawn groups into your game, right?

Yes, exactly.

What do you mean with "remote control" button? Can you submit a screenshot?

When you own Combined Arms and you take a Game Master slot in game, you end up in F10 view.

You can then select a unit on the map, and press a button in the F10 map, on top left of the usual F10 icons, that, if the vehicle is controllable, makes you control it in 1st person. If you select an aircraft and own the module for that aircraft, this button will put you in the cockpit, in control of the aircraft.

I have no issue controlling ground units, be it in single player or multiplayer, when these units are dynamically spawned via MOOSE::SPAWN. It doesn't work on air units dynamically spawned in multiplayer.

@Yukari, thks for the precisions, it may be indeed incompatible, that's what I'm trying to determine, though your case is slightly different and I can see some reasons making spawning "Client" a bit difficult, like managing the slot list in the lobby. In case of remote control, these issues would disappear, so there may be still be hope :)

CA.thumb.jpg.d0302e5849248592ae98e5dcb33b9756.jpg

Specs : i7 6700K / MSI 1070 / 32G RAM / SSD / Rift S / Virpil MongooseT50 / Virpil T50 CM2 Throttle / MFG Crosswind.

Ok. When you dont spawn air units dynamically (just define a plane in the ME), does that remote control button work as expected in MP?

Sent from mTalk on Windows 10 mobile

[/TABLE]

Ok. When you dont spawn air units dynamically (just define a plane in the ME), does that remote control button work as expected in MP?

An excellent question! :)

I'll have to test that, will take long though as I'm away from DCS computer for a few days :(

May I ask you, how do you find the moose framework design to now?

[/TABLE]

Ultra usefull and simple to set up and understand. I've only touched SPAWN & RADIO modules atm, with a bit of SET also. Everything went smooth. Just a little issue with ReSpawn function, I couldn't dig much into it, maybe a bug or user error, I don't know ;)

Many thanks for this framework, it is awesome.

So test done, and ... I can't take control of normal units either, so not a Moose issue but a Combined Arms one!

I think this bug is also related to the multi player client group bug ... CLIENTS are not registered in multi player. a birth event is not fired ...

[/TABLE]

• 2 months later...

Confirmed, no way to take control of a spawned ground groupe sadly.

Edited by Zarma

i9 9900k, 64 Go RAM, RTX 4090, Warthog HOTAS Throttle & Stick, Saitek Combat Rudder, MFD Cougar, Trackir 5 Pro, Multipurpose UFC and Oculus Rift S (when I want some VR),

http://www.twitch.tv/zarma4074 /  https://www.youtube.com/user/Zarma4074 

Copy-of-DCS-A-10C-User-Bar-CMR-ConvertImage.jpg

Confirmed, no way to take control of a spawned ground groupe sadly.

Suggest you retest the group bug in 1.5.5. I think it is somehow solved now ...

[/TABLE]

Maybe with latest MOOSE. Will try to change it in the CASCAP mission I am using.

Sorry, it is a little bit hard to follow what your thinking is. Can you pls elaborate a bit more?

These kind of problems have to do with the internal mechanisms of the simulator. I don't think upgrading MOOSE will solve this problem. But I think now with the latest 1.5.5, this problem may have been fixed.

I am interested if this is the case, and if not, pls do a further confirmation that this bug needs to be solved.

thanks Zarma for your support,

FC

[/TABLE]

Oh ok. Sorry but in holidays for one week. Didnt test with the latest build. Once at home, I will try again. On 28th november it wasnt working

i9 9900k, 64 Go RAM, RTX 4090, Warthog HOTAS Throttle & Stick, Saitek Combat Rudder, MFD Cougar, Trackir 5 Pro, Multipurpose UFC and Oculus Rift S (when I want some VR),

Just tested, things have changed. The option to take control of AI aircraft in multiplayer now exists, when used, the aircraft takes the identity of the player, but it's still impossible to get into the cockpit unfortunately.

Gonna test asap, this was working fine until now for ground vehicles

Any news ? Just tested in my mission, couldnt take control of the ground units that spawned from my script.

Edit : I am stupid, nothing to do with MOOSE, only MIST.

Edited by Zarma
Stupide