DCS 1.5.3 - Enemy Units don't immediately appear in Fog of War when detected

Xavven

In DCS version 1.5.3, with the map options set to force Fog of War, enemy units do not appear on the map when detected until you change views to something else (like F7) and then back to the map (F10).

How to reproduce this bug:

1. Create a new mission and in the mission options, under F10 VIEW OPTIONS, force Fog of War.
  2. Add a TACTICAL CMDR for Blue Force under Battlefield Commanders.
  3. For Blue Force, add an early warning radar somewhere on the map.
  4. For Red Force, add a non-stealthy aircraft just outside the range of the radar, and set its waypoints such that it flies towards the radar.
  5. Run the mission, stay in the F10 map view and wait a few minutes. Observe that the enemy aircraft do not show up on the F10 map even when it should be in range of the radar by now.
  6. Rapidly switch to a ground unit view (F7) and then back to the map view (F10). Observe that the enemy aircraft suddenly appears.

Can NOT reproduce on 1.5.3.51218. Two tests, both times the aircraft was detected, first time right on the range ring, seccond time somewhat inside.

See pictures.

Your post made me to go back and verify my results. It looks like there's a bit of a refinement to put in here. They do appear on the command map eventually if you don't switch to another view and back, but you can make them appear immediately if you do.

I'm attaching a mission file that should allow you to reproduce this bug very reliably. All you have to do is launch it and fast forward (ctrl-z) to the time 12:01:47. You will not see the Su-24 on the map, but if you press F2 then F10, it appears. (You can't see it with the F2 view or on the map before 12:01:47 because it hasn't entered the radar range yet and Fog of War is on).

OR, if you wait all the way until between 12:04:30 and 12:06:30 (it's different every time for some reason but usually within that window) it appears on the map without having to switch. Those 3 minutes make a big difference!

Enemy Fails to Show up on Map.miz

Seems like two possible things might be occuring and ED will know what...

1) Should a sensor automatically detect at max range?

2) How long before a sensor detects is the info available to the side in "Fog of War"

There is variation for sure. Difficult to say if its a bug or design.

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

Yesterday tested with no problems with this settings:

Tactical commander red, forced no external views and forced only map for clients.

The Tactical commander works perfectly with Fog of War, with detections ranges according to flight altitudes and LoS.

Seems like two possible things might be occuring and ED will know what...

1) Should a sensor automatically detect at max range?

2) How long before a sensor detects is the info available to the side in "Fog of War"

There is variation for sure. Difficult to say if its a bug or design.

Yep, I agree a sensor shouldn't automatically detect at max range. Which is why you shouldn't be able to F2 view an enemy before it's detected. Actually, since it makes the enemy appear on the map when I F7 my OWN troops, or F2 view my OWN aircraft and switch back, it should be considered a bug either way that ED intended detection to work.

Yesterday tested with no problems with this settings:

Tactical commander red, forced no external views and forced only map for clients.

The Tactical commander works perfectly with Fog of War, with detections ranges according to flight altitudes and LoS.

I just tested this an confirmed. If you disable external views, then switching to controlling, say, a friendly tank, and then switching back to the F10 map does NOT make enemy aircraft that have entered a radar's max range appear.

.... buuuuuuut that really wasn't the point of this bug report. The bug report is that switching views causes unwanted behavior. Turning off those views is not equal to fixing the bug.

While I agree that using an external view to look at enemy troops is unrealistic anyway, the bug is present when you F7 view your own troops or F2 view your own aircraft. TBH, while I realize a real commander doesn't get to see cameras of the action whenever s/he wants, it really does detract from the game. When I send F-15s to intercept enemy aircraft, I want to watch the bandits eat the missiles in full 3D, not watch a circle icon fly towards a gumdrop icon and watch the gumdrop icon vanish.