Consider new PC.

I'd strongly suggest going for a K model Core i5 so that you can overclock it. It has a rather decent impact on performance in DCS.

Spoiler

W10-x64 | Z390 Gigabyte Aorus Ultra | Core i7 9700K @ 4.8Ghz | Noctua NH-D15

Corsair 32Gb 3200 | MSI RTX 3080ti Gaming X

Asus Xonar AE | TM Hotas Warthog

MFG Crosswind pedals | Valve Index

550w far too small... 750 better

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

noctua or macho is better than seidon watercooler, more reliable.

looking at your list of components... what budget you've got? in € or $

why mATX motherboard if the case can fit normal ATX? unless it's cheaper, but as good...

GTX970 if possible.

maybe keep optical drive, power supply and case from old pc? what is inside the old pc?

STEAM

asus p8z68-v gen3, 2600k@4,5ghz(w/c), 16gb, 1080ti(w/c), ch fighterstick/gvl224-4000-8, ch pro throttle, Oculus Rift CV1+Touch, thrustmaster tx

Right On. Noctua cooling,regular size ATX,budget(?) and the 980 if possible.

noctua or macho is better than seidon watercooler, more reliable.

looking at your list of components... what budget you've got? in € or $

why mATX motherboard if the case can fit normal ATX? unless it's cheaper, but as good...

GTX970 if possible.

maybe keep optical drive, power supply and case from old pc? what is inside the old pc?

i7 3930k @ 4.7GHz | GTX 980 Ti | 16GB G.Skill 2133 Quad Channel | Samsung 850 EVO SSD | Win7 ProX64 | CH Fighterstick | CH Pro Pedals | CH Throttle | BenQ XL2730Z 1440p

550 is more then enough for that system just get a quality psu. I have built a system with a i7 6700K and gtx 980 using a 450 watt. Corsair SF450. Also don't feel forced to get a K Processor if your not going to OC or want to try the i5 6600 is more then capable.

550w far too small... 750 better

Why? It's plenty for this system.

Built a system recently with a 6700k and GTX970 with a 500W PSU and it is running perfectly fine.

But then I don't have any plans for SLI in the future ... so I'd say it depends on what's planned for the system.

Gesendet von meinem ONE A2003 mit Tapatalk

Why? It's plenty for this system.

Built a system recently with a 6700k and GTX970 with a 500W PSU and it is running perfectly fine.

But then I don't have any plans for SLI in the future ... so I'd say it depends on what's planned for the system.

Gesendet von meinem ONE A2003 mit Tapatalk

it's about having that safety buffer there...

it's like saying "my car has no airbags and i've never broken my skull on my steering wheel"

then that murphy guy comes around and you get hurt because your car doesn't have airbags...

and 2 things are sad... people buying locked multiplier cpus for gaming(it's fine if you don't game), and people buying K's, and then not overclocking them to at least 4000mhz, when they can so easily achieve that with a cheap 30$ aftermarket cooler

Edited by Hadwell

My youtube channel Remember: the fun is in the fight, not the kill, so say NO! to the AIM-120.

System specs:ROG Maximus XI Hero, Intel I9 9900K, 32GB 3200MHz ram, EVGA 1080ti FTW3, Samsung 970 EVO 1TB NVME, 27" Samsung SA350 1080p, 27" BenQ GW2765HT 1440p, ASUS ROG PG278Q 1440p G-SYNC

Controls: Saitekt rudder pedals,Virpil MongoosT50 throttle, warBRD base, CM2 stick, TrackIR 5+pro clip, WMR VR headset.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

it's about having that safety buffer there...

it's like saying "my car has no airbags and i've never broken my skull on my steering wheel"

then that murphy guy comes around and you get hurt because your car doesn't have airbags...

and 2 things are sad... people buying locked multiplier cpus for gaming(it's fine if you don't game), and people buying K's, and then not overclocking them to at least 4000mhz, when they can so easily achieve that with a cheap 30$ aftermarket cooler

Sorry, i don't think SLI is a "safety". Keep my money in my pocket is.

Attache ta tuque avec d'la broche.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guyz,:thumbup:

Thanks for all the replies and comments... This is what it will end up in, just waiting for the last confirmation:

BitFenix Phenom Case

ASUS B150M-A MB

Intel I7-6700

ASUS Strix GTX-980

500GB SSD

16GB RAM Kingston 2666mhz

CM GM 650W 80+ Bronze

Win 10 64bit

ASUS USB N53 Dualband 300M

CM Hyper TX3

I hope this setup will let me fly in DCS 2.0 for some years at a acceptabel performance...!

See you soon in the sky :pilotfly:, after a way too long break (3months) :cry:

molon-labe-black-header.jpg

Very close to what I am running, you could/can save money on a smaller CPU (i5 6600K) and GPU (970/960).

I only PC game on DCC; get 100-115 FPS on high everything running i7-6700K and 970, 16gb DDR4.

Keep in mind DCS is more CPU bound the GPU so for DCS only that's where your trade off will come.

[sIGPIC]http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn266/JINX1391/jinx%20f99th%20sig_zps2hgu4xsl.png[/sIGPIC]

"90% of the people who actually got to fly the F/A-18C

module there (E3 2017) have never even heard of DCS

or are otherwise totally undeserving pieces of trash."

-Pyromanic4002

System looks good , it can't get much better then that.

However I would hold off buying video card right this moment. Guru3d.com guys speculate that in few days there will be some sort of announcement from nvidia about their upcoming new cards.

If you guys don't mind I would like to look more into 6600k vs 6700k question though. Aside of stock frequency the only difference is HT and some extra cash mem. From what it looks they both will overclock to similar speeds depending on silicon lottery. So what would you say an advantage of the i7 for DCS or gaming in general if we OC them both to roughly same speed?

ADD:

With 980TI down to 550$ (although I'm not to big on zotac brand) , i kst admit it is getting very hard to wait

Edited by agrasyuk

Anton.

My pit build thread .

Simple and cheap UFC project

don't buy video card yet, and be warned that none of the nvidia cards can do async compute (major factor in next gen API's). You might see R9 390's, 280x's etc pulling away from you on newer dx12 or vulkan games... nvidia says it's something they can do with drivers, but that's bull***.. their current cards simply do not have the hardware to be able to utilize this feature.

just hold off and see what's coming up. and at wors you'll get a current gen card even cheaper then..

don't buy video card yet, and be warned that none of the nvidia cards can do async compute (major factor in next gen API's). You might see R9 390's, 280x's etc pulling away from you on newer dx12 or vulkan games... nvidia says it's something they can do with drivers, but that's bull***.. their current cards simply do not have the hardware to be able to utilize this feature.

just hold off and see what's coming up. and at wors you'll get a current gen card even cheaper then..

DCS uses DX11...in beta version.

Right now, current stable is still DX9 iirc ?

what is Dx12 btw ??

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

DCS is DX11 since new engine appeared. Both 1.5 and 2.0 are using same DX11 engine.

Directx12 is the newest API and is available only on Windows 10. Seems to improve drastically overall performance of GPUs and it will be downward compatible with Nvidia chipsets to something like 700 even some 600 series. But anyway Nvidia GPUs are clearly behind AMD Fury when it comes to DX12.... at least for now.

ED did not mentioned yet a plan to migrate to DX12, but I do really hope they will consider this option ASAP.

Romanian Community for DCS World

HW Specs: AMD 7900X, 64GB RAM, RTX 4090, HOTAS Virpil, MFG, CLS-E, custom

DCS is DX11 since new engine appeared. Both 1.5 and 2.0 are using same DX11 engine.

Directx12 is the newest API and is available only on Windows 10. Seems to improve drastically overall performance of GPUs and it will be downward compatible with Nvidia chipsets to something like 700 even some 600 series. But anyway Nvidia GPUs are clearly behind AMD Fury when it comes to DX12.... at least for now.

ED did not mentioned yet a plan to migrate to DX12, but I do really hope they will consider this option ASAP.

oh..we are at 11 already....irony OFF

If you know you are simply not going to play any new games that migh utilize dx12, vulkan etc. You can take it chill. However, if you are in the 970 range you might ad well get the r9 390 istead as it is +- the same price, mlre future proof and better performance even in most dx11 games. I really only know this area of GPU's, so 960 vs 380 i would not know. 980ti is probably the best performing card on dx11.

Consider it.. You might want to hold off.

Im not sure if ED wants to go to dx12.. They would have to spend quite some resources to utilize it as dx12 performance is much more dependant on how the developers utilize it. Essentially, they get more control and performance, but at the cost of more work.

I sure hope they will, though

6600k vs 6700k question

This was a big back and forth for me as well when parting together my PC. For me it came down to "what will I be using the PC for?"

1) I only PC game for DCS, so i5 or i7 didn't make much difference when you talk 6600K vs 6700K. So price was the discriminating factor.

2) Also long term. I plan to get at least 3 yrs to 5 max out of the CPU before looking to replace/upgrade. The i7 6700K just hit the market and the newer model, Intel quality reputation, and product life cycle/depreciation pushed me to the 6700K.

3) The largest tipping point for me is the "other than DCS" applications I would be running on the PC. My wife runs her own Youtube channel Vlog, combined we have our own 'family Vlog', and I now run my DCS Gaming Chanel. So editing, sampling, and rendering is the brunt of the CPU workload.

Plus the 6700k is just amazingly fast....from press of the power switch I can boot and be running in 12 seconds.

[sIGPIC]http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn266/JINX1391/jinx%20f99th%20sig_zps2hgu4xsl.png[/sIGPIC]

"90% of the people who actually got to fly the F/A-18C

module there (E3 2017) have never even heard of DCS

or are otherwise totally undeserving pieces of trash."

-Pyromanic4002