Vikhr / Targetting Issue

Hey folks,

sometimes my Vikhr on auto setting (weapon console) won't fire when I move the pipper over the target marker. Normally it would display "C" and I can press the button to fire a missile, but it never appears.

I have to switch off the auto mode (on the weapon console) and set it to manual. The "C" shows constantly then and the Vikhr hit when fired if pipper and marker match (usually).

This happened sometimes when I started out, but it seems my startup sequence now prevents it? It happened yesterday again when I was lazy and did an auto startup. Weather was clear and fine and it was a Russian heli - no export version.

What's the cause for that and is there a quick fix for it? Or do I need to add a joystick keybind for that switch to toggle?

u sure u have master arm on?

and what about laser rangefinder on?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel i7 6700K @ 4.2, MSI M5 Z170A Gaming, NZXT X61 Kraken liquid cooler, PNY Nvidia GTX 1080 Founders Edition, 16GB Corsair Vengeance 3000 Mhz C15, samsung 840 evo SSD, CoolerMaster 1000W Gold rated PSU, NZXT Noctis 450 cabinet, Samsung S240SW 24' 1920x1200 LED panel, X-52 Pro Flight stick. W10 Pro x64 1809, NO antivirus EVER

• 4 weeks later...
Hey folks,

sometimes my Vikhr on auto setting (weapon console) won't fire when I move the pipper over the target marker. Normally it would display "C" and I can press the button to fire a missile, but it never appears.

I have to switch off the auto mode (on the weapon console) and set it to manual. The "C" shows constantly then and the Vikhr hit when fired if pipper and marker match (usually).

This happened sometimes when I started out, but it seems my startup sequence now prevents it? It happened yesterday again when I was lazy and did an auto startup. Weather was clear and fine and it was a Russian heli - no export version.

What's the cause for that and is there a quick fix for it? Or do I need to add a joystick keybind for that switch to toggle?

I never use the auto setting. I switch to manual before I lift-off. I also have never found the Shkval's sweep mode to find a target to work very well. At night time it is worse. I also don't use the helmet sight.

Edited by DieHard

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I never use the auto setting. I switch to manual before I lift-off. I also have never found the Shkval's sweep mode to find a target to work very well. At night time it is worse. I also don't use the helmet sight.

Is the sweep mode supposed to find targets? I've never seen it lock onto anything.

Is the sweep mode supposed to find targets? I've never seen it lock onto anything.

afaik it's for search, not acquisition

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel i7 6700K @ 4.2, MSI M5 Z170A Gaming, NZXT X61 Kraken liquid cooler, PNY Nvidia GTX 1080 Founders Edition, 16GB Corsair Vengeance 3000 Mhz C15, samsung 840 evo SSD, CoolerMaster 1000W Gold rated PSU, NZXT Noctis 450 cabinet, Samsung S240SW 24' 1920x1200 LED panel, X-52 Pro Flight stick. W10 Pro x64 1809, NO antivirus EVER

• ED Team

It simply sweeps the Skhval back and forth in azimuth at whatever speed setting the knob is on. Doing this while you're flying so you don't have to manually move the sensor. It won't lock onto anything, it just relieves your hands to do other stuff.

Addressing the AUTO mode, the purpose is to ensure Vikhr probability-of-hit. It takes into account several factors to include airspeed, distance, and relative elevation to target. 7km is not the standard, it will adjust up if you have forward airspeed and/or the target is lower than you in elevation. I've seen the launch consent as high as 8.2km.

While it is possible to shoot further than that in MANUAL, the probability-of-hit is going to decrease. The factor that affects this is the speed of the Vikhr itself as it approaches the end of it's flight profile. Once it goes below a certain airspeed, it's control surfaces can no longer keep it flying horizontally and it will start to fall, just like an air-to-air missile loses energy and falls. That's why you can engage targets at further ranges with high airspeeds and high elevation in relation to the target. It's like throwing a football while standing still across a flat field, versus throwing it out the window of a speeding vehicle while traveling down a hill. In which instance is the football going to go further?

Afterburners are for wussies...hang around the battlefield and dodge tracers like a man.
DCS Rotor-Head

Sidewind over 30 km/h...or moving sideways with more than 30 km/h won't allow you to fire in Auto mode.

But like the other Guys (i think most of them are male ) said this mode is B...s... :). In Manual mode you can fire a Vikhr safely at 8.8 km, out of a Hover from nearly the altitude as your target is parked (low altitude).

Edited by Isegrim

"Blyat Naaaaa" - Izlom

• ED Team

Sure, all I was saying is probability-of-hit. Just as the Su-27 will adjust the dynamic launch range based on relative target velocity and direction, to ensure the missile will have enough energy to reach the target. If you're flying sideways at a good rate it's possible the missile may lose track since the targeting laser originating from your aircraft is moving laterally, and the missile might not be able to spiral sideways fast enough to stay in the targeting cone.

Just as it's possible to launch a missile in MANUAL mode when the target isn't exactly in the center of the missile constraint circle, but it's more likely the missile won't pick up the targeting cone after launch the further away from the circle you launch it. I've launched Vikhrs at targets just beyond 9 km by manually aiming just above the target and letting the missile fall into it as it loses energy, but it doesn't always hit the mark. But it is possible.

My point is that the AUTO mode isn't a limitation, it's a tool to ensure probability-of-hit. I'm not saying you should never use MANUAL mode, just saying it's not the solution, it's an alternative. But just throwing AUTO mode out the window as garbage is shortsighted, versus understanding what its purpose is and how it works for you.

If someone is more proficient while using MANUAL mode versus AUTO, than more power to you; go with what works for you. But if someone is reading this thread, it might help them understand the pros and cons of both modes, instead of giving them inaccurate info by saying ambiguously that one mode is crap and you should always use the other.

Afterburners are for wussies...hang around the battlefield and dodge tracers like a man.
DCS Rotor-Head

Sidewind over 30 km/h...or moving sideways with more than 30 km/h won't allow you to fire in Auto mode.

Actually, it wouldn't keep target lock. So you will have to adjust manually.

My point is that the AUTO mode isn't a limitation, it's a tool to ensure probability-of-hit. I'm not saying you should never use MANUAL mode, just saying it's not the solution, it's an alternative. But just throwing AUTO mode out the window as garbage is shortsighted, versus understanding what its purpose is and how it works for you.

Completely agree.

I find a manual mode as something that needs to be used only when situation requires it (pitch black darkness without illumination, staying out of SAM's reach, etc). Ease of use automatic mode provides you should be used in all other situations when you should be paying attention to some other things, and it gives you very high hit probability.

hi , since dcs world the vikhr 's hit probability are significantly lower (higher in BS 1 or 2)

it's even worse at close range lower than 3 km( always miss)

real probability 80 to 95 % hit (in game far lower)

real range is 800 meter to 10 km

vikhr has too much smoke

VEAF 735th - www.veaf.org - Formateur Ka50

Escadrille Francophone évoluant sur DCS.

En savoir plus : http://www.veaf.org/fr/735-escadrille-virtuelle-dcs-fancaise

Nous rejoindre : http://www.veaf.org/fr/nous-rejoindre

Actually, it wouldn't keep target lock. So you will have to adjust manually.

Nope Target tracking is still working. you maybe have to adjust the target grid size to 5m ..... which is also working at all distances below 10km(in Sunday evening happy flying conditions) .

"Blyat Naaaaa" - Izlom

• 2 weeks later...

hello people. I do not intend to hijack this thread. But I have recently ran into the same problem as the OP. I have only bought the black-shark this week, on the sale, so perhaps I am simply making a rookie mistake. I do want to mention I have read the manual and used the internet to help me alleviate myself from my problem, to no avail.

For the last week I have been busting tanks quite hapily in my new kamov. but since recently, it has proven impossible to get a launch authorised after my first kill. allow me to demonstrate via some screenshots. the situation is:

-my kamov at an altitude of 200 metres AGL*

- a couple of target trucks 2,5km away*

- 16 "vikhr" AT-16 loaded on the kamov, as well as a fully loaded canon

* these parameters are within authorisable parameters, an altitude of 50 to 6000 metres and a target distance of 800 to 6000 metres, if I am not mistaken, wich I could, but I am very sure this is within parametres.

bug_zpsbxt11ij5.png

This was my first launch, wich I had authorised with no problem. this proves I have set my parametres correctly, the designator was set up correctly. the master arm was on, the vikhr was loaded correctly and correctly selected for launch. I can tell you that the switch was set in "AUTO" mode. I did not manually authorise this launch. the missile ended up killing the target as would be expected.

I am now aiming at my second target, however I will never never get my launch authorised, and I did not understand why. I did not tamper with any of my settings or switches. Expierence learned me that if I manually authorised a launch, the missile will go ballistic straight from the rail.

bug2_zpsg1yqr7ie.png

I have noticed something funny. the rangefinder on the HUD is showing me that target is at an appropiate range. there's a circle-line system where the outer circle-line needs to inbetween the first and second mark for the enemy to be in the correct range. the marker tells me the range is correct, however, it is not alligned with the target at all.

I decide to try something funny. what if instead of the laser designator alligning with the target, I shall allign the helicopter with the laser designator instead?

bug3_zpsru1dwybn.png

Launch authorisation! let's see if the missile goes ballistic or if it will strike the target

bug4_zpskrrckh6c.png

good hit.

Now my question to you guys is, what am I doing wrong here? or is this a bug? I can move the Shkval tv around just fine to lock onto targets. there's no problem with the first kill, because the laser designator HUD icon is not even visible before the helicopter locks onto the first target. the targetting icon is not even visible before the first lock-on, at wich point it appears exactly over the target. I do want to note that the LD is able to pitch. meaning that if I aim at a target further away, the LD is able to follow, or even if I pitch the whole helicopter, the LD will follow the 'vertical' movement. I have tried several functions. the Laser Designator Reset button ( on the middle bottom panel ) does not fix this. the reset button on the left panel ( the panel where the AA, moving ground target buttons are as well ) does not work. powering down the designation equipment and then booting it up again does not work either.

Thank you for your time!

Check my F-15C guide

Which only means that the missiles need some serious adjustment. There's a reason why the maximum range is what it is.

The idea of AUTO is nice but I think it's a little conservative. I can consistently hit targets from a hover at 9km without needing to adjust my aim or anything.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

• ED Team

@Sryan

You may be mistaking the guidance function of the Vikhr. The Vikhr missile is a laser beam-riding missile, not a semi-active laser-homing missile like the Hellfire or Kh-25ML. When you lock a target in the Shkval, two things happen.

1) The Shkval will attempt to auto-track the target based on the signal contrast in the video. If it does, you get the "TA" indicating and your box will start jumping around the target.

2) If the laser system is enabled on the K-041 panel, when you press the lock button a rangefinding laser fires from your aircraft to get a precise range to target. That is when you get the laser countdown in the HUD.

At this point, when you select the Vikhrs, you will get that concentric-circle launch constraint in your HUD. It will move up and down to match the elevation angle of the Skhval, since the Vikhr pylons articulate in elevation. However, you may need to adjust the heading of your aircraft to put the Skhval line-of-sight circle inside the Vikhr launch constraint. What this ensures is that the Vikhr intercepts the laser targeting cone.

The laser targeting signal is a different laser signal emitted from your helicopter for Vikhr guidance. The Vikhr, a beam-rider, doesn't look for the laser reflection off the target, but rather looks behind itself for a laser guidance signal. As it spirals to the target, it's spiraling down that laser guidance cone from your aircraft, and if it flies out of it for whatever reason, it will just ballistic into the ground.

So, when you see the Vikhr launch constraint circle jump back and forth as you launch missiles from alternating wings, it's trying to get you to adjust the nose of the aircraft in relation to the Shkval line-of-sight so the next Vikhr will be launched into the laser guidance cone to acquire guidance. This is also why in heavy crosswinds, the constraint circle may be biased to one side of the HUD. Between each Vikhr launch, it will be normal to have to adjust the helicopter slightly to get the following Vikhr launch constraint circle in line with the Shkval.

I'm sorry if this was wordy, but some of the terms were unclear in your post so I figured I would just do a roll-up of the function of the system. Hope this helps.

EDIT: Regarding the LD being able to pitch. Not exactly...the laser designator (I assume that's what you were referring to) is coincident with the Skhval line of sight. When you see it stay on target, it's because the Skhval is staying on target/in auto-track. When you see those concentric circles move up and down in the HUD as you pitch the helicopter, it's because the weapons computer is commanding the elevation articulation of the Vikhr launchers on the wings up or down to stay on the same elevation as the Skhval.

Edited by Raptor9

DCS Rotor-Head