The 30 mm mess up the poor mustangs...

... the DM is a planned to be looked at heavily, its been stated by Yo-Yo himself.

:book: ...yup:

I must say that DM itself in DCS must be reworked. But saying about DM we must divide its both aspects - visual effects and internal functioning. Regarding its internal functioning I can say that it is much more complicated in comparison of any sim existing now and being in WIP status. You can get hundreds types of systems malfuction cascading and causing subsequent damages and sometimes you must do his best to save the plane. In reality bullet hits and even those holes appearing on the wings affect to lift and drag but not so exagerrated as in Il-2, for example. FM itself works correctly with half of elevator loss, so this control gets side roll effect or it's possible to land the plane with 1/3 of the wing lost (if the handling is right - otherwise it can be fatal)

The second aspect is visual effects regarding the actual damages and, yes, you are right - it needs to be deeply reworked because long white trails of electricity leaking from Dora's wing look weird. :) It's a task #1 for the nearest future. Not only for WWII planes but for all flyable and most of important AI.

Problem is, this was two years ago. :helpsmilie:

P8Z68 | 2500k @ 4.5 | GTX 1080Ti | 2x8 GB @ 1600 | TM Hog (extended 7cm) & MFG Crosswind (S/N 007) | TIR v5

WWII bomber formations | DCS P-51D: [TEST] TO distance / gross weight / temperature

Really? The 30mm is incredibly under powered for me. In a multiplayer server, I would shoot a mustang and hit it 5-10 times with the 30mm and it would fly away like nothing happened.

At what range?

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

30mm For me is always 1-3 shots, depending on where they land. If it's the fuselage behind the cockpit, one generally does the trick, if we are just blasting away at the tail it can be up to three.

To those having issues with it, I recommend you check your hits, to see if the amount you are saying it takes are actually hitting.

I always find the Mk108 to work very well if I land hits anywhere in the fuselage. Usually not instant confetti but usually a hit or 3 ends the fight. I also think deflection shots are far more effective. 90% of my kills seem to come from managing to hit someone turning hard.

• 2 months later...
A bit of a necro but I'll just leave this here:

0agbf8l.jpg

:D

Thats an odd choice, from wikipedia (yes i know, amazing source)

"Several types of ammunition were developed, including practice, armor-piercing, high-explosive and incendiary. In operation, however, two major ammunition types were used: Minengeschoß ("mine-shell") and high-explosive incendiary."

30mm For me is always 1-3 shots, depending on where they land. If it's the fuselage behind the cockpit, one generally does the trick, if we are just blasting away at the tail it can be up to three.

To those having issues with it, I recommend you check your hits, to see if the amount you are saying it takes are actually hitting.

I'd also suggest that they also only use the 30mm so that they can see what is actually hitting. We all know the Mustang needs a DM update ... if you hit the wings or tail with a 30mm it should lose an aileron or elevator/rudder. Also I'm not sure if I've lost on engine due to a radiator leak but always get the prop gov failure.

I'd also suggest that they also only use the 30mm so that they can see what is actually hitting. We all know the Mustang needs a DM update ... if you hit the wings or tail with a 30mm it should lose an aileron or elevator/rudder. Also I'm not sure if I've lost on engine due to a radiator leak but always get the prop gov failure.

Same with the 109 and 190. I have never destroyed/lost an aileron or elevator due to damage made by weapons. U can only loose those from coliding with other objects

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]In 21st century there is only war and ponies.

My experience: Jane's attack squadron, IL2 for couple of years, War Thunder and DCS.

My channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyAXX9rAX_Sqdc0IKJuv6dA

Same with the 109 and 190. I have never destroyed/lost an aileron or elevator due to damage made by weapons. U can only loose those from coliding with other objects

I've lost ailerons and elevators on both the 109/190 through combat and its even visible when your flying the Mustang to see portions of the tail missing of say a FW190.

Whole horizontal stab can be shot off but never I saw an aileron missing or elevator.

I believe there are 3 damage stages for all the ailerons, rudders, elevators. I've lost ailerons in the Dora in steep high speed dives and I've lost elevator control in the K4 due to gunfire (it dove straight into the ground). Dora also has the cockpit glass damage modeled but all of them will need a review at some point in the future. 30mm cannon rounds should devastating damage to control surfaces and I think that because the Mustangs is the oldest some of those features aren't working or are missing. Seems like everytime I get shot down in the Mustang its engine governor or dead pilot.

To me its really wierd that 109 is so hard to kill. 109 is way harder to kill than 190 for some reason and I wasn't able to kill a single pilot, while most of my kills on 190s are pilots. For some reason 109 is very hard to kill for me. I have never set fire to 109s fuel tank, only engine seems to catch fire.The 30mm would be powerful if it had mine shells

But it uses APHE which was better against bomber engines

My experience: Jane's attack squadron, IL2 for couple of years, War Thunder and DCS.

My channel:

To me its really wierd that 109 is so hard to kill. 109 is way harder to kill than 190 for some reason and I wasn't able to kill a single pilot, while most of my kills on 190s are pilots. For some reason 109 is very hard to kill for me. I have never set fire to 109s fuel tank, only engine seems to catch fire.The 30mm would be powerful if it had mine shells

But it uses APHE which was better against bomber engines

The MK108 fitted to the Bf109K had 3 main types of shell: 2 different versions of the minengeshoss HE round and an API round.

The subversions of the minengeshoss differ in the shape of the nose of the projectile- the earlier version had a blunt nose and thus more HE filler. It was replaced by the less draggy pointy-nosed version in an attempt to mitigate the MK108's dismal ballistic performance compared to most contemporary aircraft cannons (A muzzle velocity of only 580 m/s left a lot to be desired when range was concerned). I'm fairly certain that the 109K would have been equipped with the later shells.

The API shell was fitted with a fuse intended to be triggered by passing through liquids, in an attempt to set bomber fuel tanks on fire.

I guess I mixed it up with MG151/20 APHE ammo. So, still we have API in the game right? But not M-Shell. Or do we? I haven't flow the 109 for a while. Because with Minengeshoss it would probably 1 shot 1 kill, just the trajectory would be way worse.

I noticed that AI 109 seemed to be hard to kill at times (same as AI Mustang) but I've been shot down with a couple of hits to the engine or radiator in the Bf109. Hopefully we get some new features soon enough with 1.5/2.0 or after there release.

No not only AI. I was talking about human 109s. Its ussually the engine that I kill, because I can't destroy anything else. With AI its easier because it is flying in a pattern giving you ability to put concentrated firepower at one wing so it flies off.

But usually when I fight 109s (human) they just keep flying, except for bullet holes nothing happens, unless I hit the engine. I've never killed a pilot and never destroyed a control surface.

My channel:

DCS World\CoreMods\WWII Units

Open up Weapons.lua

Change the damage output of any weapons there to whatever you wish.

I increased the damage output of all explosive shells by 10x. With the Dora, this means I get a kill at about 3-8 20mm hits on average.

Does not work with multiplayer.

FW 190 Dora performance charts:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=128354

• ED Team
Multiplayer uses a different damage model. Far closer to reality than the one AI uses.

You basically have to use a cheat one way or another to get the AI to go down realistically.

I dont find that to be true at all about the AI, yes I have seen issues, and they have been reported, but for the most part, I dont have an issue taking down the AI.

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

I dont find that to be true at all about the AI, yes I have seen issues, and they have been reported, but for the most part, I dont have an issue taking down the AI.

Until those issues you see are fixed though, they are still annoying, and still a problem.

I and I think a lot of other people find the 30mm to be very inconsistent. It either works like it's historical counterpart, or you might as well just stop firing it and rely on your 13mm guns. The consistency is the problem for me.